Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

In my fantasy world of Mac upgrades, the next revision will add the high-res 13" screen from the Air to the Pro, and the 15" Pro gets a 1920x1080 screen.

:pray:
It would be 1920x1200, rather, as 1920x1080 is 16:9, whereas the MBPs are 16:10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So after a great experience with my MBA I am considering switching my desktop to either a Mac Pro or an iMac. I have two decent monitors already, but I could get an iMac + 27" Apple display for the price of the Mac Pro I built. Any thoughts on the superiority of either product? I use my desktop for web browsing, some gaming, and development (java, c++, c# in rdp).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ochowie posted:

So after a great experience with my MBA I am considering switching my desktop to either a Mac Pro or an iMac. I have two decent monitors already, but I could get an iMac + 27" Apple display for the price of the Mac Pro I built. Any thoughts on the superiority of either product? I use my desktop for web browsing, some gaming, and development (java, c++, c# in rdp).

No reason to get a Mac Pro unless you are doing things that need:
  • six-core or dual processors
  • PCI Express expansion cards
  • 4 hard drive bays

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Thunderbolt is going to take care of those last two pretty soon, too.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

• six-core or dual processors
  • PCI Express expansion cards
  • 4 hard drive bays

I assume the only thing requiring 6-cores or dual processors is rendering, video, image work which I don't do?

So basically the iMac makes more sense it seems like. Just double checking but I can connect a second 27" Thunderbolt Display to the iMac right? Are the screens comparable? I noticed they run the same resolution.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm sorry but a 15" 1080p display would be horrible unless you use magnifying glasses when you compute and like straining to read regular-sized text. Then again bigger numbers = better right? right? :awesome:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes you can. They are actually the exact same displays. Small pet peeve I have is that the iMac and the TB display have slightly different heights. They'll be a few inches off when put next to each other.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes you can. They are actually the exact same displays. Small pet peeve I have is that the iMac and the TB display have slightly different heights. They'll be a few inches off when put next to each other.
"A few inches" isn't a slightly different height. They can't be that far off are they?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Presumably you could just get a pedestal for the shorter one, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

flyboi posted:

I'm sorry but a 15" 1080p display would be horrible unless you use magnifying glasses when you compute and like straining to read regular-sized text. Then again bigger numbers = better right? right? :awesome:

Some of us have really good vision. :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not that bad I guess

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Bob Morales posted:

six-core or dual processors
PCI Express expansion cards
4 hard drive bays

So it seems like there really is no reason for me to get a Pro. Any downsides in terms of gaming? I built it with the highest end processor and 8 gigs of ram for reference.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

flyboi posted:

Presumably you can change the DPI settings so on-screen items appear the same size they used to be, just sharper.

Edit: By 'you' I mean if/when Apple make this an option I presume they would also update the OS. They obviously aren't allergic to small screens looking good (see iPhone 4).

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 6, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not that bad I guess

There is no good reason for them to not be the exact same height. That drives me nuts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Morales posted:

There is no good reason for them to not be the exact same height. That drives me nuts.

They clearly designed it for laptops though especially with it acting as a hub and the magsafe connector on it.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Mu Zeta posted:

They clearly designed it for laptops though especially with it acting as a hub and the magsafe connector on it.

Thats how I use mine at work. I actually wish I could adjust the height on it because the thunderbolt 27 is just slightly lower than I would prefer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Still, there's no reason for them to make them different heights.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Still, there's no reason for them to make them different heights.

Yeah it's not like the height matters for a laptop so you might as well make it consistent with your all-in-one that uses the same panel.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

flyboi posted:

It looks fine to a lot of people, certainly better than the default panel in a 15" MBP at the moment.

Perhaps they could just split the difference and make the 'high res' panel standard (it's 1680x1050 so close to the same ppi as a 13" Air)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

For anyone who's interested, I just posted for sale in SA-Mart a MacBook Pro from mid-2007 (2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo with 3 GB RAM) that has an upgraded Seagate Momentus 500 GB internal SATA drive. It has some issues with the power supply and SuperDrive (and some minor dents), but I'm starting at $500 and we'll see where it goes from there.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 7, 2011

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Crossposting this from C/D; Amazon has an open box (full warranty) Thunderbolt i5 21.5" iMac for $1030. I'm not in the market, but it's worth a look for the big discount from MSRP.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 7, 2011

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

Bitcoin Billionaire posted:

Pretty sure you will need an active converter as opposed to the passive one. The one Apple makes is total poo poo, I use this Accell one which I've had no problems with so far.

Don't buy an active converter for this, the U2711 has a full-size DisplayPort. All you need for native res is a MonoPrice Mini-DP to DP cable. I personally use this setup at native res with a 2009 13" MBP, and my team uses 2011 15" MBPs with the U2711. Get a couple of the cables, MonoPrice is very cheap and occasionally you get a flaky cable.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Matlock posted:

Crossposting this from C/D; Amazon has an open box (full warranty) Thunderbolt i5 21.5" iMac for $1080. I'm not in the market, but it's worth a look for the big discount from MSRP.

Actually cheaper by about $10 if you get it from the Apple refurb store. But then again you pay tax. But then again it's straight from Apple. Also they're $1030, not $1080.

Speaking of, when going to see how it compared, noticed every single Air and MBP is out of stock in the Apple Store. I've never seen them out of every single model of portable like that, so I'm wondering if they're adjusting prices.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ochowie posted:

So it seems like there really is no reason for me to get a Pro. Any downsides in terms of gaming? I built it with the highest end processor and 8 gigs of ram for reference.

Actually gaming is a big reason to get a Mac Pro (or a Hackintosh.)
The Mac Pro can get a 5870, and will be upgradeable in the future to whatever new GPUs Apple releases, whereas the iMac will be stuck forever with whatever laptop GPU you order it with, presumably the 6970M which is a lot less powerful.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

El Duke posted:

Actually cheaper by about $10 if you get it from the Apple refurb store. But then again you pay tax. But then again it's straight from Apple. Also they're $1030, not $1080.

Whoops, that's a heck of a typo. WarehouseDeals has been pretty good for me in the past, and given that it still retains the original manufacturer's warranty it's just about on par with the refurb store.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Not sure where to post this, but if one of you can help me fix this problem, I will love you forever!

Out of nowhere my Macbook Pro froze two days ago. I had to do a hard reset and upon rebooting, it will hang on either the grey Apple screen and if it gets passed that, it hangs on the blue screen. I've tried just about everything including:

-Resetting PRAM
-Tried repairing disk permission (said everything was OK)
-Tried reinstalling OS X but the installation just hangs
-Tried using DiskWarrior but it wont boot. It just freezes
-Tried a few command prompts in single-user mode

I have no idea on what I should do from here. Any ideas?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Your disk may have passed verification but it may still serve up an error code (like 4HDD/11/40000004:SATA(0,0)) after an extended Apple Hardware Test. Try that by holding D at boot, then releasing. Otherwise, I am assuming you haven't reformatted to a clean disk before reinstalling. If you don't have a backup to restore from and haven't reformatted, you could use your current disk as a backup/migration source for a new disk with an external enclosure or some fancy firewire work and another Mac.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

There is also no reason for them not to be height adjustable :shobon:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Actually gaming is a big reason to get a Mac Pro (or a Hackintosh.)
The Mac Pro can get a 5870, and will be upgradeable in the future to whatever new GPUs Apple releases, whereas the iMac will be stuck forever with whatever laptop GPU you order it with, presumably the 6970M which is a lot less powerful.

Or just bite the bullet and build a Windows PC for gaming.

Is there a way of using the Thunderbolt iMacs as a monitor for a generic PC yet? It worked really well on old models with the Displayport.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

blah_blah posted:

There is also no reason for them not to be height adjustable :shobon:

Worst Case, nice cut piece of wood that fits right under the stand. Barring that, Wired Magazines work well for this.

EDIT: I'm amazed a company hasn't pushed out an aluminium plate the exact footprint of the monitor for just this situation.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

dissss posted:

Or just bite the bullet and build a Windows PC for gaming.

Or even better, get any console and save even more money.

Everywhere I go, I see people using ptier's idea, although I've seen National Geographics, Elles, and Glamours for the same purpose.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I wonder if this would be close:

http://www.macessitywebstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SLIMKEY

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bob Morales posted:

I wonder if this would be close:

http://www.macessitywebstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SLIMKEY

I'd hope so, that would mean that the designer actually took a second and thought about what he was doing instead of just tossing some metal in a press.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd hope so, that would mean that the designer actually took a second and thought about what he was doing instead of just tossing some metal in a press.

Probably cast aluminum, not pressed ;)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They could have at least taken a real photo. The perspectives on that are all sorts of hosed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bob Morales posted:

Probably cast aluminum, not pressed ;)

D'oh.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Caged posted:

They could have at least taken a real photo. The perspectives on that are all sorts of hosed.

The second photo there is a real one.

http://www.macessitywebstore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SLIMKEY-3.jpg

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Don't go there. They're different. :spergin:

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm about to switch from PC to Mac Pro for music stuff (Ableton Live, Kontakt, NI synths etc). I've got 4GB in my Win7 laptop at the moment and that seems to be adequate but having never touched a mac before, is it advisable to spend the extra money for 8GB RAM?

Also what are the SSD's like in terms of read/write speed? Am I better off getting a crappy mechanical hard drive and then slapping one of these bad boys in afterwards? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227727 Would that void my warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Lets not get crazy now :p

Still interested in the second bit though, is there anything on the horizon that'll let a Thunderbolt iMac (or Thunderbolt display or that matter) work as a target for generic displayport/HDMI/DVI inputs?