Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah, what a nice morning! Think I'm gonna

Oh. Well, gently caress you too. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

The one of the only ways to have a bad morning with a motorcycle :(

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

How many are out? Buy a hotcams kit. 80 bucks for 3 of every size available, restock kits are typically around 20 bucks for 3 in a 5 size range. (ie. 2.00 through 2.25 in .05 increments).

I need 9 shims so yeah, I'm thinking of ordering the kit depending on what the dealer says. I just hate having to wait for it to get here.

I doubt they'll swap shims with me since the last place didn't.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Chris Knight posted:

:smith:

Your bike has a way smaller footprint on the centerstand, use the kickstand for parking.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

Should I be thankful the three bikes I work on use nut/rod adjusters (2x OHC 1x pushrod)? Or is there a downside to those? Or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Yes... there is a very serious downside:

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2010/10/isnt-it-ironic.html

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AncientTV posted:

:smith:

Your bike has a way smaller footprint on the centerstand, use the kickstand for parking.

Yeah, I'll need a new cover to make room for that, no real biggie if I go that route.

It's just the capper to the end of an already very lovely week. The weather being nice just adds the extra screws.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
So today I enjoyed a nice two-hour ride on my Speed Triple. I did approximately the same route two days in a row, yesterday was slow and easy to gauge the effects of recent weather (some snow and debris, some new gouges in the streets from the plows, but not too bad) and so today I took it more briskly. Man, does that bring a smile to my face. One thing I thought was funny, I tend to have a running internal dialog about whether to push harder or be more careful, and sure enough in the middle of such dialog I come around a blind corner and there's some work truck crooked in the middle of the street (luckily, I was on the 'more careful' side and had plenty of time to stop.)

Then I took it into the dealer to work on my tire pressure monitors, the front one still doesn't work, replacing the in-wheel sensor didn't fix it, now Triumph says they need to replace the little electronics box which reads the pressure sensors, which apparently also controls the immobilizer, which means they have to recode all my keys. Yeesh.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
Installed one half of the new rear sets on my Street Triple on Saturday. That took almost the entire day (but I now coudl do it in 10 minutes). Then it rained all day Sunday, so I couldn't finish the other side. And now with the time change, I don't get home from work until well after dark, so my bike is stuck with mismatched rear sets until at least this weekend, but it's looks like more rain is coming. FML.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Then I took it into the dealer to work on my tire pressure monitors, the front one still doesn't work, replacing the in-wheel sensor didn't fix it, now Triumph says they need to replace the little electronics box which reads the pressure sensors, which apparently also controls the immobilizer, which means they have to recode all my keys. Yeesh.

Do all of the modern triumphs have these? I don't think my 2008 Daytona has all that fancy gadgetry.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Do all of the modern triumphs have these? I don't think my 2008 Daytona has all that fancy gadgetry.

I think it's only the bigger bikes. My 2011 Street Triple has no such fancypants technology either.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I think the Speed only got the immobilizer and the option for TPMS with the 2011 redesign. I -think- the Tiger (at least the big one) and the Sprint may have had them a bit longer, but dealer says my bike is one of two bikes their shop has ever sold with TPMS, so maybe not.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Getting closer to riding...gently caress I wish I woulda just filed a claim and had a shop do this work. But now I got me some carbon fiber...yeaaaa.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
rode buddy's bike (in the rain) to get it inspected for him today.

His front wheel bearings are hosed, but I got it inspected anyway so he could get the fail sticker.
...looks like I'll be putting the goldwing off even longer :smith:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I installed my tiny li'l windscreen and the replacement cylinder head temperature gauge whose wiring I routed with a bent coat hanger and zip ties.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oil change, cleaned the chain and fitted my Loobman!

(Ignore the oil spill, I overfilled the bottle)

Seems to work pretty well, the oil spreads out nicely over the sprocket and out through the rollers. But that was only testing it up on stands, so I'll have to see how it works after the 30-40min ride to work this arvo.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 11, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
What did I do to my rides?
I hung them from the ceiling:

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/11/garage-makeover-progress.html

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What did I do to my rides?
I hung them from the ceiling:

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/11/garage-makeover-progress.html

I wonder how much weight could be hung from a ceiling joist? Could you make a lift for a bike using a pulley system that hung from the ceiling?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

If you distribute the weight with enough pullies I don't see why not.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Finished prepping the CRF for the trackday monday. Took ~5 minutes, remove headlight assembly and taillight bulb. Ready to go.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I took the GS500 off to get a service and fix an oil leak I've been too lazy to work out. After about a month on the KTM pretty much every day, switching back to the GS500 is quite an experience. The seating position is strange, it's really, really gutless and slow to accelerate, it doesn't seem to stop and the levers are all sorts of hard to operate.

Once it's been serviced I'm going to go over it and clean it cosmetically, take some pretty pictures and sell it. It was a great bike for 2 years to learn to ride on and I might miss it occasionally but I think I've traded up to something much nicer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I put on the new handlebars I bought a couple of weeks ago. Pretty easy and quick job, now I just need to get the levers etc. perfectly adjusted. I can't wait to go on a test ride when the weather clears up a bit.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I put on the new handlebars I bought a couple of weeks ago. Pretty easy and quick job, now I just need to get the levers etc. perfectly adjusted. I can't wait to go on a test ride when the weather clears up a bit.

Neat. A Tomaselli 233 is the obvious choice for a Bandit-moped. A 284 is the only thing that beats a 233 it for a standard jap.

Also, your dads garage is really neat and clean. I'm glad he forced you to clean that dirty bike before he allowed it in there.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Ordered the parts off eBay to fix my totaled gixxer.

Swingarm = 350
Complete Subframe = 325
Forks = 250
Rear rim with rotors = 175
Plastics = 400
Tank = 250

The kid who hit me didn't have insurance but gave me 2 grand, and we wrote up a notarized contract that he'll pay out another 4.7 over 1 year. I think I'm going to use that money to invest in a supermoto.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Collected a mudguard for by 82 CB250RS. Got to sand/prime/paint and fit tomorrow. Might just fit it and leave it for next weekend come to think of it...

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Finally got the clutch press plate for the Goldwing. I still need to get the wear items (clutch lock washer, gaskets, etc) but the hard to obtain part is taken care of.

The R100GS left carb started pissing gas as I pulled in the driveway a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what that's about, but I'll be diving in soon enough. Any ideas why this would just happen as the bike was running?

Finally, I stopped at an estate sale on a whim while out with the family today. It seemed more like a bankruptcy sale, but whatever. Someone there was a major dirtbike guy because there was gear, tools, fuel cans and stuff for sale. I took an ATV/MC jack for $20 and was pretty drat stoked. The sale is on McKean in Almaden Valley south of San Jose if anyone wants to clear out what's left (which is actually a hell of a lot).

[edit] Ha! I just finished grinding a 15/16" socket into the 4 point tool required to remove the clutch lock nut on the goldwing. I locked the clutch in place with a socket and a steel rod, and undid the nut with an impact gun. Flawless victory!

Here's my version of the clutch removal socket:

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 13, 2011

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rode down to my parents' place yesterday, did the fuel stabilizer treatment and washed 'er up. Today did the wax & polish and finished the winterizing, then rolled her across the street for a long winter's nap.

Now it's time to tally up all the things I have to buy over the winter to work on in the spring!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
In the warmth-apex of crazy Rochesterian weather, I finally got around to cleaning the chains on the Ninja and Sv650. I really liked the can of Maxima lube that came with the 636, and now thats depleted, i'm shifting back to that Teflon stuff. I think I prefer the Maxima. Last year I stopped riding in early October. Let's see how long it takes for me to ride on, this week seems like the last before I go on a Thanksgiving vacation and come back to an absolutely frigid city. Not looking forward to enslavement and death under the automobile boot :(

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I finally finished painting the gesso whitewalls.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Replaced the fork seals in my wife's Suzuki LS650 Savage, and then took it out for a short test ride. This was my first ride since the wreck, and it was exactly what I needed. No apprehension, just the almost too cool evening air blasting through my summer jacket and the vents on my old helmet. :feelsgood:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, I decided to say screw it to getting the axle in with the new sprockets, so I got the adjusters back on and put the old rear sprocket on.

I then broke out the GPS to see how screwed up the speedo would be with a +1 front sprocket on. DEAD ON. From 15-95mph, the speedo agrees with the GPS within 1%. The stock 15-tooth sprocket had the speedo off by 5-10mph across the range.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

AnnoyBot posted:

Finally got the clutch press plate for the Goldwing. I still need to get the wear items (clutch lock washer, gaskets, etc) but the hard to obtain part is taken care of.

gently caress. The vendor sent the wrong part. Mine's on the left. The calipers show the difference between the widths of the friction areas. I looked around eBay and I think he sent me a GL1000 press plate, not GL1100.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

AnnoyBot posted:

gently caress. The vendor sent the wrong part. Mine's on the left. The calipers show the difference between the widths of the friction areas. I looked around eBay and I think he sent me a GL1000 press plate, not GL1100.

That really blows. I wish I could help you but I've only got 75 and 76 GL1000's.
I looked but briefly but I couldn't find any info on the GL1100 plate.

Maybe try a wanted AD over on NGW and see if anyone can help you out?
Otherwise I'd pop into the project section and see if anyone has their motor apart or is in the middle of a clutch swap and ask them to take some measurements.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That really blows. I wish I could help you but I've only got 75 and 76 GL1000's.
I looked but briefly but I couldn't find any info on the GL1100 plate.

Maybe try a wanted AD over on NGW and see if anyone can help you out?
Otherwise I'd pop into the project section and see if anyone has their motor apart or is in the middle of a clutch swap and ask them to take some measurements.

The seller (Cycle Psycho) is already sending a corrected replacement down at no charge. He's a salvage guy so he says he has a barrel of them. No worries.

On the good side: I measured the friction plates and they're within spec by .002", and the damper plate (a known gotcha) is intact. I wonder if the PO replaced it when he hosed up the press plate?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

AnnoyBot posted:

The seller (Cycle Psycho) is already sending a corrected replacement down at no charge. He's a salvage guy so he says he has a barrel of them. No worries.

On the good side: I measured the friction plates and they're within spec by .002", and the damper plate (a known gotcha) is intact. I wonder if the PO replaced it when he hosed up the press plate?

HA THAT'S GREAT! I wonder why he didn't replace the hosed up spring plate?

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HA THAT'S GREAT! I wonder why he didn't replace the hosed up spring plate?

It was probably slapped together to be sold to a sucker (me). It's not clear if the part was broken during the PO's disassembly (easy to do, I think) or when the bolts were knocked out while the engine was running.

The bike was only $350 so I can forgive a lot of shoddy work. It was expected.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

AnnoyBot posted:

It was probably slapped together to be sold to a sucker (me). It's not clear if the part was broken during the PO's disassembly (easy to do, I think) or when the bolts were knocked out while the engine was running.

The bike was only $350 so I can forgive a lot of shoddy work. It was expected.

yea that's not bad. I paid $300 for a parts bike that wasn't in that great of shape.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
This belongs in a "Stupid things you've done pretending to be a mechanic", but we don't seem to have one of those (yet).

I spent the last 2 days trying to figure out what my throttle would stick open above 5k rpms. Lubed cables... no change. Fiddled with cables... no change. Stare angrily at all parts of the throttle assembly... no change.

Just as I'm about to give up and head to the dealer, I realize I've installed my bar end mirror a hair too close to the throttle, and it sticks at anything more than 3/4's open. Slide mirror away from throttle, and everything is good.

Admitting this in public hasn't made me feel any better.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

wilkenm posted:

This belongs in a "Stupid things you've done pretending to be a mechanic", but we don't seem to have one of those (yet).

I spent the last 2 days trying to figure out what my throttle would stick open above 5k rpms. Lubed cables... no change. Fiddled with cables... no change. Stare angrily at all parts of the throttle assembly... no change.

Just as I'm about to give up and head to the dealer, I realize I've installed my bar end mirror a hair too close to the throttle, and it sticks at anything more than 3/4's open. Slide mirror away from throttle, and everything is good.

eh... that's not too bad. I've done stupid-er (yeah engrish) things I'm sure. That's a fairly easy one to overlook.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

wilkenm posted:

Could be worse. I rode my TL around for the first week with the choke open, wondering why the idle was so high. Although it's EFI so the "choke" may not actually affect the mixture, which may be why I didn't notice a major performance hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I discovered that I need to re-install my intake snorkel and probably go up one size on my main jet. The temperature dropped about 30° this week and riding home from work meant careful throttle positioning. Lean bog on a 2 stroke makes spooky sounds.