Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

So, do you guys think the Galaxy Nexus (w/ Ice Cream Sandwich) is worth switching for, if your contract is up? I know it's the next big thing that everyone seems to be excited about, but I can't figure out exactly why. Will it really be that much better than the GSIIE4GT? I know it'll be getting ICS first, but waiting a few months for the update isn't that big of a deal to me.

Switching in what way? I'm assuming Verizon, because there is no indication yet it is coming to sprint. And that's up to you, its more than just the phone, its the plan, coverage, etc. Personally, it'll be better than the galaxy 2 for sure, but its not as big of a gap as it once was. I haven't gotten many epic touches back in for repairs yet, which is a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

change my name posted:

GORILLA GLASS :downs:

Fuckit, I'm just going to see if the guy can give me a 4s

You can always replace your screen, if you want: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1165986

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

So, do you guys think the Galaxy Nexus (w/ Ice Cream Sandwich) is worth switching for, if your contract is up? I know it's the next big thing that everyone seems to be excited about, but I can't figure out exactly why. Will it really be that much better than the GSIIE4GT? I know it'll be getting ICS first, but waiting a few months for the update isn't that big of a deal to me.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I wouldn't make any decisions based on the assumption that the epic touch will get ICS, as Samsung has a terrible track record for updating their phones.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
I have had no luck with Sprint tech support on this, so maybe someone in here can suggest something. I switched from an original Evo to an iPhone 4S. Since I switched, I have been getting messages from "901-6" that look like they're for android visual voicemail, looking like "//ANDROID:${FROM} has sent you a Sprint Voice Message. Call ${callbackno}...etc" every two hours almost exactly. The native iPhone voicemail system works fine for me, and no one at Sprint seems to be able to stop these messages. Does anyone here have any idea what I can do here?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I wouldn't make any decisions based on the assumption that the epic touch will get ICS, as Samsung has a terrible track record for updating their phones.

To be fair, no particular handset manufacturer has a good track record. They all suck.

change my name posted:

GORILLA GLASS :downs:

Fuckit, I'm just going to see if the guy can give me a 4s

Yep, did that. Thank god for TEP.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
I similarly recently shattered my EVO 4G glass then tried to replace it myself, seemed easy and for $14 for the glass, why not. I managed to install my nice new glass but, I hosed up the LCD screen in the process. It wasn't bad for a day or two but got worse to the point of no usability. I'm thinking of just buying this: http://www.durapowerglobal.com/HTC-EVO-4G-LCD-Screen-with-Digitizer-and-Front-Bezel-Assembled-OEM-Original-Small-Flex-Cable-_p_1113.html

That way the replacement should be relatively easy as I don't need to mess with the adhesive etc. Does anyone have any experience with this retailer or have a better way to fix this?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

How the hell did you do that? I dropped my 3D from about 4 feet in a parking lot yesterday. I only have a $3 TPU case and my phone survived without a scratch.

That picture makes me glad my mom was upsold to the Otterbox Defender for her iPhone and insisted on buying same for my Evo 3D.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Always listen to your mom.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I don't care how fragile my phone is, you will never see a ugly rear end Otterbox on it. Never ever. Sorry not trying to be rude, but I hate them with a passion. It is why I have TEP for my Android phones, and I now have Applecare+ for the iPhone.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

How the hell did you do that? I dropped my 3D from about 4 feet in a parking lot yesterday. I only have a $3 TPU case and my phone survived without a scratch.

I dropped my Sensation (the t-mo version of the 3D) and absolutely shattered the front, so it's really not hard to do.

nate fisher posted:

I love my 4S but it is fragile as poo poo.

Yeah, I'm afraid for my 4s, but I bought AppleCare+ and a cheap bumper. I've yet to drop it.

nate fisher posted:

I don't care how fragile my phone is, you will never see a ugly rear end Otterbox on it. Never ever. Sorry not trying to be rude, but I hate them with a passion. It is why I have TEP for my Android phones, and I now have Applecare+ for the iPhone.

This. Though I am seriously considering the Leverage bumper for protection.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

toybux posted:

I have had no luck with Sprint tech support on this, so maybe someone in here can suggest something. I switched from an original Evo to an iPhone 4S. Since I switched, I have been getting messages from "901-6" that look like they're for android visual voicemail, looking like "//ANDROID:${FROM} has sent you a Sprint Voice Message. Call ${callbackno}...etc" every two hours almost exactly. The native iPhone voicemail system works fine for me, and no one at Sprint seems to be able to stop these messages. Does anyone here have any idea what I can do here?

I haven't heard that one before. Try dialing *1 to get to sprint voicemail, see if you can delete it from there.

nate fisher posted:

The incipio cases are nice, those are the ones I recommend. I couldn't imagine carrying around an iPhone without a full case, apple care or no apple care.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 7, 2011

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

The incipio cases are nice, those are the ones I recommend.

Seconding this. I've been very happy with the one on my Nexus S. The phone felt really fragile pre-case and is just right with it on. It's probably saved my phone twice in the last few weeks.

Maybe I'm alone, but regardless of having TEP/Applecare/whatever, I don't really look forward to having to replace a phone. Plus I'm assuming there's still a deductible/service fee? Cases are comparatively cheap.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
It'll be interesting to see what Sprint considers "Early 2012" -

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...20110407HTC-ICS

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I use integrated GV for my texts, as I have to use an Airrave and had read this was the way to go. Sadly, GV appears to be total dogshit - I just got (while at work, not near the airrave) two texts right now that were sent Saturday night, and I've been trying to send an outgoing text for an hour or so with a solid signal/3g, with no luck. What the hell do I do to fix this crap?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I use integrated GV for my texts, as I have to use an Airrave and had read this was the way to go. Sadly, GV appears to be total dogshit - I just got (while at work, not near the airrave) two texts right now that were sent Saturday night, and I've been trying to send an outgoing text for an hour or so with a solid signal/3g, with no luck. What the hell do I do to fix this crap?

Are you using the GV app or stock app? I use the GV app (non-integrated) on my one phone, and I use the regular text messaging app (integrated) on another phone no problem. So I donno, both methods are working for me. Whichever way you are doing it, try switching to the other.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you using the GV app or stock app? I use the GV app (non-integrated) on my one phone, and I use the regular text messaging app (integrated) on another phone no problem. So I donno, both methods are working for me. Whichever way you are doing it, try switching to the other.

GV app. I'll try the stock one I guess.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Any of you guys sell a phone back to Sprint? I was thinking about selling back my EVO for the $85 they will give me or whatever, as it will be a pain in the rear end and I doubt I will get much more for it selling it otherwise.

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches

ddogflex posted:

Any of you guys sell a phone back to Sprint? I was thinking about selling back my EVO for the $85 they will give me or whatever, as it will be a pain in the rear end and I doubt I will get much more for it selling it otherwise.

I sold my EVO for $150 a couple weeks ago, so it's a question of whether you want roughly double what Sprint is offering you for the convenience of not having to sell it yourself.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven't heard that one before. Try dialing *1 to get to sprint voicemail, see if you can delete it from there.

I don't have any voicemail unfortunately. I thought this was the issue originally, so the first person I tried to get to help me reset my voicemail and deleted everything that was there. That didn't work. My voicemail works fine too, as I've gotten a few messages since this all began.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

Its easy to do, you just fill out the form, and print out the free mail stamp they give you (UPS). Takes 1-2 months for the credit to it. But like the other dude said, you'll get way more on craigslist.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I sold my EVO 4G to Sprint for $150 when I got my EVO 3D. It was very easy, I just mailed it in with the label they sent me and I got a credit on my account a month or two later. I know I could have gotten more on Ebay or Craigslist but I didn't want to go through the hassle.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
So I'm trying to upgrade to SERO Premium from SERO Basic ($30 a month). Is this all I do?

Does this look right? Sprint's website is pretty horrible and I can't really get any verification as to whether this is indeed SERO Premium. Under my plan details it still says I'm on Sprint Basic, but the lady on the phone said it should switch over tomorrow. Should I just go ahead and order it?

err fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 7, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sure, order it. It ought to change to SERO Premium on the website tomorrow. Then you'll be able to activate the phone. Or if not, you can always call Employee Care and they'll take care of you pretty quickly.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

nate fisher posted:

Depends on the circumstances. As I've stated before...what first sold me on Otterboxes was seeing my friend (who is a Green Beret) come home from 9 months in Afghanistan without a loving scratch on his iPhone (wrapped in a defender series). Granted, I didn't need THAT level of protection, so I got a Commuter series for both my Hero and EVO 4G.

My girlfriend is rocking the red Commuter series on her iPhone 4, and wouldn't be caught dead without it. (She's also clumsy as gently caress, and is deathly afraid of breaking her "precious iPhone").

I do see your point though. I love how sleek the iPhone looks, and the Otterbox certainly takes away from the aesthetics of it. I currently have a Nexus S 4G, and I think it's drat sexy...so I wouldn't be caught dead putting an Otterbox on it either. I got the Incipio Feather instead, and it's a terrific case - basically as thin a possible, and incredibly light...so you still see the shape of the phone while adding at least a LITTLE protection from minor drops/scrapes/day-to-day wear.

Duckman2008 posted:

The incipio cases are nice, those are the ones I recommend. I couldn't imagine carrying around an iPhone without a full case, apple care or no apple care.

Seconding Incipio, depending on what type of case you're looking for. The Otterbox Defender is still pretty much the standard of "ultra-protection"...and the Commuter Series is still my preference for "mid-level protection" as well. Their "rubber" cases are crap though, and I would happily recommend Incipio to everyone who is looking for minor protection.

rattrap posted:

Seconding this. I've been very happy with the one on my Nexus S. The phone felt really fragile pre-case and is just right with it on. It's probably saved my phone twice in the last few weeks.

Out of curiosity...which Incipio case are you using?

ddogflex posted:

Just sold my EVO for $200. Granted, I sold it with my Otterbox Commuter series case, as well as the invisible shield screen protector. Plus, it was to a friend of mine who knew he could probably find one for $150-ish...but since he knows and trusted me (plus mine was rooted and he can ask me for help with things), it was worth the extra $50 to him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am contemplating going back to the stock SMS app (evo3D), because the GV app is sluggish and seems to have gone full retard on collating messages by contact.

The creator of the most important thing is that the information you need to be a good idea to have a good idea to have a good idea to have a good idea to have a good idea to have

SwiftKey is interesting. It's like using Google autocomplete.

Anyway, considering going back to the stock app since the GV app is retarded and sluggish. I like it, but I can't find a setting to make it more like the stock app.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I think you're an order of magnitude more fussy than me, but I don't care for cases either. I have one on my SGS2E4GT because it's the slipperiest goddamn electronic device I've ever owned.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Couldn't get a 4s and it's still 100 bucks to fix/replace under TEP. So that's 200 total down the drain in broken phones, completely negating the discount I have.

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

Ozmodiar posted:

Out of curiosity...which Incipio case are you using?

This one. Sounds like the same one you're using. :hfive: Great case.

err posted:

So I'm trying to upgrade to SERO Premium from SERO Basic ($30 a month). Is this all I do?

Probably. I ordered online last time, but don't remember it prompting any actual change in plan until I attempted to activate. I might have called to upgrade first, honestly. Unless they've improved it, online activation only gives you standard plan options to add the premium data charge, so you still have to call either way. Employee Care is amazing, though, so I wouldn't sweat that much.

rattrap fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 8, 2011

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Edit: Wrong thread.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

edit-Nevermind, finally kickedi n

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My girlfriend decided she would spike her (my old) Epic like a football and the glass is spidered in one corner. Touch is still responsive, and she has TEP on it. $100 is bullshit, but then again she's eligible to upgrade to the lovely assortment of already aging hardware on offer, and is for some reason refusing to consider an iphone. My question is whether the ripoff maestros at Asurion are going to ship her a loving Epic (that is callous bordering on criminal considering the lump of poo poo that phone is on the best of days) or if there's any way of just asking them if they have the ability to ship her, say an Evo (which at this point would be an upgrade in terms of longevity, reliability, and overall utility as far as flashing goes) instead of that piece of poo poo Epic.

She really isn't happy with the option of paying $100 now and then paying another $200 some time next year for an actual upgrade or basically wasting her upgrade on a phone that was released 4-6 months ago. It looks to be about $100 all around no matter what short of replacing the glass herself (more likely myself) but that's going to be tricky as I've never done that before and run the risk of having to replace the phone anyway.

What are the chances of Asurion actually having these sacks of poo poo in stock and not, say, a different phone?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

You don't understand insurance, do you?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kynetx posted:

You don't understand insurance, do you?

I understand insurance, I just don't understand why $100 is the deductible for everything from dropping to firing out of a cannon, even if the result of one of these events is not the unrecoverable loss of the phone. It would be like my insurance company saying that I have to pay towards my deductible on a GP visit as I would have to pay towards it were I to get labwork, x-rays, or surgery. She didn't drop the loving phone in the toilet, it fell on a tile floor and the screen has some spidering in the corner. The case isn't even cracked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

I understand insurance, I just don't understand why $100 is the deductible for everything from dropping to firing out of a cannon, even if the result of one of these events is not the unrecoverable loss of the phone. It would be like my insurance company saying that I have to pay towards my deductible on a GP visit as I would have to pay towards it were I to get labwork, x-rays, or surgery. She didn't drop the loving phone in the toilet, it fell on a tile floor and the screen has some spidering in the corner. The case isn't even cracked.

The screen is the most expensive part if the phone bar none. And it sucks, but nothing you can do there. You could theoretically order the epic, then take it in to a sprint store and see if they will advance exchange it for an EVO, but usually we need something wrong with it to do that. If she is eligible just upgrade her, or call sprint retentions and see what they can do for you. Either way, for better or worse the terms of service are what they are, focus on the best way to solve the problem to your benefit.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

The screen is the most expensive part if the phone bar none. And it sucks, but nothing you can do there. You could theoretically order the epic, then take it in to a sprint store and see if they will advance exchange it for an EVO, but usually we need something wrong with it to do that. If she is eligible just upgrade her, or call sprint retentions and see what they can do for you. Either way, for better or worse the terms of service are what they are, focus on the best way to solve the problem to your benefit.

Isn't the fact that it's an Epic something wrong enough? :v:

She's chatting with someone on the website. I think she's leaning towards just eating the bowl of poo poo and upgrading. She doesn't like it because she really wants to hold out until next year's offerings. I'm not sure if she's describing the damage accurately to the person on the chat because they're telling her she can bring it in to a store and have it fixed for free. Which is what I was expecting because it's a glass replacement, the screen is in perfect working order and the touch sensitivity still works.

Funnily enough, I've been giving her poo poo for the past year about how she should get a case for it :smug:

e:

She done hosed that poo poo up.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 9, 2011

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Repairs are free. Replacements due to abuse, theft, water damage etc are 100 bucks. Believe me, even on the lowly Hero, a replacement screen and labor is more than the deductible.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I ordered my phone off of Sprint's website, are they supposed to give me tracking information?

Thanks for the advice by the way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Isn't the fact that it's an Epic something wrong enough? :v:

She's chatting with someone on the website. I think she's leaning towards just eating the bowl of poo poo and upgrading. She doesn't like it because she really wants to hold out until next year's offerings. I'm not sure if she's describing the damage accurately to the person on the chat because they're telling her she can bring it in to a store and have it fixed for free. Which is what I was expecting because it's a glass replacement, the screen is in perfect working order and the touch sensitivity still works.

Funnily enough, I've been giving her poo poo for the past year about how she should get a case for it :smug:

e:

She done hosed that poo poo up.

The epic scores a shitton of sympathy points, followed by a bunch of nerd tantamount of "we warned you about the epic!" Overall, more sympathy.

Yeah, the rule is no more than 2 1" cracks. That is pretty close to being where a repair center won't fix it (sprint hits us hard if they deem we should not have done it).

The only reason to wait on phones is to get LTE phones next summer. Not an awful idea, but it comes down to preference. For anyone wanting to wait, buy something off Craigslist. I would bet the nexus is pretty cheap now a days used, and given that the signal issues are fixed its one of the best phones on sprint hands down.

So what I would do in your case is order the replacement epic, then swap it with some poor bastard who got a nexus but now wants a physical keyboard. They are out there.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
What's a good case for the iPhone4S that will actually protect it? So far I've seen a few Otterboxes that are super ugly and LifeProof one that looks okay but is $80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphal posted:

What's a good case for the iPhone4S that will actually protect it? So far I've seen a few Otterboxes that are super ugly and LifeProof one that looks okay but is $80.

See above, incipio makes good cases.