Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I switched from cm7 on my thunderbolt to OMFGB with the 5.0.3 kernel from imoseyon and the battery life has been comparable. I think cm7 was perhaps slightly better but at least OMFGB is officially supported.

I'd love to be able to make 24 hours without my phone dying before I get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

To bolster your point, wasn't the Atrix unlock the result of a leaked engineering firmware rather than any kind of positive action on Moto's part?
I didn't keep up with it but I thought that the unlocked bootloader was part of the official Gingerbread update which was leaked, but it was still there when it eventually came out.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
According to this article, which matches what little I could scrap from xda, that's not exactly the case.

I think the situation with regard to the Atrix is: the bootloader that shipped with a leaked GB 2.3.3 update allowed the device to be unlocked. The official update, however, contains a bootloader that not only cannot be unlocked, but actually bricks the phone if one attempts to SBF downgrade a previously-unlocked device (whoops!). It's not clear, but I think if the device ships with official GB locked, you can still downgrade to install the leaked bootloader and go from there.

In any event, it's not an official capability.

Edit: My beef with the argument that HTC and Motorola are only unlocking devices on carriers that are comfortable is that it's crap.

Verizon has the Xoom and will (likely) get the Galaxy Nexus, these are unlockable. Didn't they also get one of the unlockable Xperia models?

Sprint has the Nexus S 4G (officially) and Evo 3D which are unlockable.

T-Mobile has the Sensation, which is unlockable.

So the only carrier that doesn't have an officially unlockable device to my knowledge is AT&T. Granted you can get a Nexus S with AT&T subsidy, but it's not listed on their website. Otherwise, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile have sold officially unlockable devices in the past, so why would they make a stink about it now?

Also, no Samsung phone has ever had a locked bootloader, even though they demonstrated the capability in Tab firmware leaks, and the SGSII kernels are signed and and the bootloader warns that one is running custom software. Why don't carriers make stinks about these devices? Did Samsung tell them to shove it? Did they just not offer the option of locking the devices?

For some reason I get the impression the carriers are a scapegoat, for something.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 4, 2011

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For some reason I get the impression the carriers are a scapegoat, for something.

A part of me wants to be facetious. On the other hand, the carriers ARE the reason that these phones are coming out with locked bootloaders. If you recall Motorola's statement a few months ago about unlocking bootloaders, the statement came with the giant caveat of something like "as carriers allow".

Also, that Xperia that got unlocked was also an "oops" by Sony, as some people managed to reverse-engineer the EU version unlock tools to work on the Verizon version of the device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

A part of me wants to be facetious. On the other hand, the carriers ARE the reason that these phones are coming out with locked bootloaders. If you recall Motorola's statement a few months ago about unlocking bootloaders, the statement came with the giant caveat of something like "as carriers allow".

Also, that Xperia that got unlocked was also an "oops" by Sony, as some people managed to reverse-engineer the EU version unlock tools to work on the Verizon version of the device.
As EB rightly points out though, that doesn't explain the fact that Samsung's have never been locked ever.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Samsung kind of screws with the whole "it's the carriers faaaaault." I really don't understand why Verizon would demand every phone be locked down except the wildly popular Samsung phones.

Makes no sense. I have a feeling EB is probably right but it's what ever. GNex here I come.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ProjektorBoy posted:

You mean the Verizon version of recent Sony devices weren't supposed to be unlockable?

Sure, it's most certainly the carrier's preference that devices remained locked if given a choice since they're misguided asshats. At the same time, manufacturers seem to have little trouble asserting that devices remain unlocked (Google), or just not bothering to implement it (Samsung).

Why is it misguided though?

For one, with an official unlock you can still clamp down partitions that are dangerous to update. For example, still require signed radio images. If you lock down your device the whitehats are going to crack it, and then it's a free for all.

For two, I'm quite certain the return rate on a number of Samsung devices (e.g., the Epic) would've been a good bit higher if it wasn't for custom kernels. It's true that most people don't bother to root/hack their devices, but when poo poo like the camcorder or GPS stops working after an update, people will resort to Google, and if there's a downloadable fix that makes their problems go away, "normal" people will install it.

As long as phones are always released as buggy betas, the hacker community is an asset to carriers and manufacturers both. They just don't get it though.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Without a doubt Samsung gains a lot by not locking their stuff and their slow but noticeable improvements over the years shows a trend of increasing support for devices*, improved initial releases and a slow but growing support for developers.

Still they do have their own set of restrictions that make them less than ideal for the community, which still seems very much used to HTC-esque implementations.

*international devices and non-bastard-red-headed-step-child designs.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So HTC makes me a bit angry. That said, if you have an Evo 3D or Sensation it's not so bad. The official unlock works "well enough". The fact that you have to "fastboot boot" recovery to flash kernels is silly, and I wish they'd fix that, but it's an inconvenience at worst.

The reason HTC makes me angry though is that this whole "we'll unlock our bootloaders, promise!" is turning out to be a very shallow commitment. They've officially unlocked precisely zero phones prior to the Sensation, some of which aren't very old. They've also failed to unlock any phone released in the US after the Evo 3D, including the Rhyme, Amaze, Hero S, and Evo Design 4G.

I suppose unlocking new phones "takes a while" or some bullshit, but it's exactly that. An unlock package should be posted on htcdev.com, along with GPL sources on day one. Frankly an unlock package shouldn't be needed at all, this should be taken care of with a "fastboot oem unlock". I was willing to give them a pass on the whole "you have to register on our website and download poo poo" as long as they kept on top of it, which they haven't.

They're doing it to higher-end phones that people get pissed off about if they're locked. They aren't unlocking other phones if they aren't publicly shamed into doing so. Not much of a mystery to it, people aren't badgering them about the Design 4G because anyone who knows about rooting/unlocking will buy the E3D.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
Quick question: is there a way to change the notification icons? Does that vary by ROM? E.g., can you do that only on ROMs that support using different notification icons?

I ask because I'm using this ROM, but I'd rather have the stock green Gingerbread battery/wifi/signal/etc. icons rather than the white ones the creator packaged in.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'm having some random issue now with my Touchpad. The CM7 logo shows up and just keeps spinning away. That's it. I've turned it off and turned it back on... didn't fix a thing.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm having some issues receiving text messages so I'm going to do a reset. I figure this is a fine opportunity to try a new rom. I'm on CM4DX, a nightly can't remember the number.

What's the new "it" rom for Droid X?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Crazy685 posted:

I'm having some random issue now with my Touchpad. The CM7 logo shows up and just keeps spinning away. That's it. I've turned it off and turned it back on... didn't fix a thing.
Did it work before or did you just flash something?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Did it work before or did you just flash something?

Working completely fine. Plugged it in before running to class, came back to the logo running and it wouldn't load up. I deleted my personal information and cache (whatever it is...) which reloaded Android back to default, and it worked. Just loaded stuff back up.

How do I load up videos to this? The movies I have on my WebOS aren't showing up on Android. I was hoping to be able to watch them on both platforms.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just got a Titanium Backup update (which I think we all know is like three times a week) but this one adds a pretty neat feature: the ability to restore apps & data from Clockwork Recovery 4.x nandroids in yaffs2 or ext4 format.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JerkyBunion posted:

I'm having some issues receiving text messages so I'm going to do a reset. I figure this is a fine opportunity to try a new rom. I'm on CM4DX, a nightly can't remember the number.

What's the new "it" rom for Droid X?

I'm using CM4DX-GB by Revnumbers, the 201-10-19 build. I downloaded it via Rom Toolbox (the donate/paid version is well worth the money) and installed it after I SBF'd to the Droid X Gingerbread leak - it is Cyanogenmod with a real Gingerbread kernel, and I couldn't be happier with the performance of my phone. The camera/youtube both work and don't need any additional stuff flashed over it. Battery life is fantastic as well.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Gyshall posted:

I'm using CM4DX-GB by Revnumbers, the 201-10-19 build. I downloaded it via Rom Toolbox (the donate/paid version is well worth the money) and installed it after I SBF'd to the Droid X Gingerbread leak - it is Cyanogenmod with a real Gingerbread kernel, and I couldn't be happier with the performance of my phone. The camera/youtube both work and don't need any additional stuff flashed over it. Battery life is fantastic as well.

Well. I SBF'd, rooted, downloaded Rom Manager and Rom Toolbox. I then downloaded the CM4DX-GB from the Rom Toolbox and kept trying to install it from the app but it would just reboot the phone normally. I just installed Droid X bootstrap, and tried again and now I got the Motorola Logo and now just a black screen.

wtf guys how can I get this working?

edit: And right after I post I think I have it fixed. All I needed to do (apparently) was install DX Bootstrap AND uncheck USB debugging.

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 6, 2011

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

LiquidSmooth 3.1 on my Thunderbolt is currently kicking the crap out of CM 7.1.1 and OMFGB in terms of battery life.

I started at 83%.
- installed the rom
- used the liquid settings option to install go launcher and force closed launcher pro. That broke the rom so I tried wiping data and starting again. Still broken.
- cleared data, reinstalled the rom
- configured it all, restored all apps and data
- moderate to heavy usage of browser/awful app/email
- used various other apps

Currently at 50% about 5 hours later. With the other two roms I could see the battery dropping pretty fast while browsing the net and it'd drop faster than I felt like it should while the screen was off. I would have easily been below 50 from a full charge on CM or OMFGB.

I definitely recommend this rom. It's not chock full of moron settings and lovely ideas like most of the other roms on rootzwiki. It's clean, fast, and impressing me so far.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
So I bricked my phone, maybe.

It's an LG Optimus M piece of poo poo from MetroPCS. I think it's running 2.2 but now I can't remember or get into the phone, so it might be 2.1.

I rooted it just fine, but while trying to get ROM Manager set up to do a nand backup, I accidentally installed the wrong version of the ClockWork thing that ROM Manager requires. Now whenever I start up my phone it gives me the LG logo and then says:

Fastboot mode started
udc_start()

Any advice?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paper Triangle posted:

So I bricked my phone, maybe.

It's an LG Optimus M piece of poo poo from MetroPCS. I think it's running 2.2 but now I can't remember or get into the phone, so it might be 2.1.

I rooted it just fine, but while trying to get ROM Manager set up to do a nand backup, I accidentally installed the wrong version of the ClockWork thing that ROM Manager requires. Now whenever I start up my phone it gives me the LG logo and then says:

Fastboot mode started
udc_start()

Any advice?
Fastboot is good (assuming USB debugging is off). Use ADB to fastboot flash the correct recovery.

Here are the instructions on how to fix the phone from fastboot.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 7, 2011

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Edit: Nevermind. I'm horrible at reading. Thanks for the link!

Okay, I followed the directions in that post exactly, and it more or less worked, but I'm now stuck on the LG logo. No idea what to do now.

Paper Triangle fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 7, 2011

MDDY
Mar 21, 2008

My Thunderbolt was rooted and still using Froyo. I tried upgrading to a Gingerbread rom, but couldn't get any cell service. After some research I was told I should follow the instructions here ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1310014 ) to go to stock Gingerbread with s-off. So now I am unrooted.

What would be the easiest way to reroot? I have only ever really followed the step by step guide things before, so I am not quite sure exactly how to proceed. I was reading the RootWiki at revolutionary, and found the file they use to root, but I don't have the same custom recovery that I would if I had used their process. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Silly me, I just ran revolutionary, it told me I was an idiot because I already had S-OFF and then asked if I wanted to flash a custom recovery.

MDDY fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 7, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Paper Triangle posted:

Okay, I followed the directions in that post exactly, and it more or less worked, but I'm now stuck on the LG logo. No idea what to do now.
Wipe everything - cache, data and dalvik.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Syle187 posted:

My Thunderbolt was rooted and still using Froyo. I tried upgrading to a Gingerbread rom, but couldn't get any cell service. After some research I was told I should follow the instructions here ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1310014 ) to go to stock Gingerbread with s-off. So now I am unrooted.

What would be the easiest way to reroot? I have only utever really followed the step by step guide things before, so I am not quite sure exactly how to proceed. I was reading the RootWiki at revolutionary, and found the file they use to root, but I don't have the same custom recovery that I would if I had used their process. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know the exact specifics so I could be wrong, but all recoveries should have the same basic functionality. You should be able to follow their directions but skip flashing whichever recovery they tell you to.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paper Triangle posted:

All those instructions do is get you a working recovery. From there you can flash any ROM you want, including stock or rooted stock if you prefer. I don't know how to boot into recovery on an LG Optimus, but you should. Download a ROM to flash from that forum, put it on the SD card, boot to recovery, wipe everything (cache, data, and Dalvik), then choose zip from the SD card and flash that motherfucker.

EDIT I should point out that you're probably going to need a ROM for your carrier. I'm not really sure of the specifics of how it works with the Optimus and its many versions, you might want to do some research on xda (I know, I know, it's horrible) before you flash a ROM that doesn't work. I don't know anything about CDMA and I definitely don't know how it works with something like the Optimus where there are GSM, Verizon, Sprint, and other CDMA variants so make sure you're sure you know what you're flashing.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 7, 2011

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ok, I have a question. I'm currently running a Droid X2 with rooted stock 2.3.3. I want to update to 2.3.4, which has been failing with the OTA update due to me removing a bunch of bloatware when I rooted. I understand that I have to somehow return it to stock to be able to do this, and I think I have the right file for it. It's the SBF thing. But I'm not sure. I've poked around the internet and haven't been able to find exact answers to this, so can anyone help walk me through this?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, I have a question. I'm currently running a Droid X2 with rooted stock 2.3.3. I want to update to 2.3.4, which has been failing with the OTA update due to me removing a bunch of bloatware when I rooted. I understand that I have to somehow return it to stock to be able to do this, and I think I have the right file for it. It's the SBF thing. But I'm not sure. I've poked around the internet and haven't been able to find exact answers to this, so can anyone help walk me through this?

On Motorola phones, the process goes as follows...

(1) Obtain the newest version of RSD Lite. (Currently at 5.5) Get it here
(2) Obtain the SBF file for your Droid X2. Get it here
(3) Go to the Motorola website and grab the latest PC drivers for the Droid X2.
(4) Just to be on the safe side, reboot now that you've installed RSD Lite and the drivers.
(5) Make sure you've done all requisite Titanium Backups, synced your contacts, etc so you don't lose data.
(6) Power off your Droid X2 and then power it on into the Bootloader (Pwr+VolUp I believe. Check your manual)
(7) Open RSD Lite, and then connect the USB cable to your phone. RSD Lite should detect the phone.
(8) Point RSD Lite at the SBF file (The Filename field), then click Start.
(9) Do not touch the phone and let RSD Lite do its thing. You will finish up with a phone that looks and acts like it's been taken out of the box for the first time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think the experience of dealing with the Epic has soured my taste for flashing roms on my Evo 3D.

Then again, it's making me really think there's a development god somewhere that knows what phones I buy and then makes it impossible to get a cyanogenmod rom all the way through the development process (There's a CM7 alpha but surprise surprise, it's been abandoned in alpha) but luckily I don't hate Sense and can do a good deal of tweaking of appearances with a combination of rooting/widgetlocker/ADW/LauncherPro. I'm strongly considering MIUI but drat it, my Epic was such a nightmare it's making me a scared bitch about actually pulling the trigger and flashing on my E3D.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ProjektorBoy posted:

On Motorola phones, the process goes as follows...

(1) Obtain the newest version of RSD Lite. (Currently at 5.5) Get it here
(2) Obtain the SBF file for your Droid X2. Get it here
(3) Go to the Motorola website and grab the latest PC drivers for the Droid X2.
(4) Just to be on the safe side, reboot now that you've installed RSD Lite and the drivers.
(5) Make sure you've done all requisite Titanium Backups, synced your contacts, etc so you don't lose data.
(6) Power off your Droid X2 and then power it on into the Bootloader (Pwr+VolUp I believe. Check your manual)
(7) Open RSD Lite, and then connect the USB cable to your phone. RSD Lite should detect the phone.
(8) Point RSD Lite at the SBF file (The Filename field), then click Start.
(9) Do not touch the phone and let RSD Lite do its thing. You will finish up with a phone that looks and acts like it's been taken out of the box for the first time.

Thanks a ton! I got it all set back to stock, upgraded to 2.3.4, and rerooted. It's working much better than it was before too.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
The new X2 update made me not want to commit genocide. In fact, it makes the phone pretty awesome.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Thunderbolt with a new 3200mah extended battery from Seido. The case back it comes with hasn't cut 4G so I'm happy.

Also with this battery: I have re-enabled auto-sync for email at 10 minute intervals and for nearly all day I had brightness at maximum.

Any other thunderbolt owners should understand how amazing this really is. I love it.

Rolodex
Jan 7, 2006
Is it possible to root/flash a ROM to a Samsung Fascinate and get it on the Virgin Mobile network? I ask because my brother gave me his Fascinate and I'm on Virgin Mobile.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Rolodex posted:

Is it possible to root/flash a ROM to a Samsung Fascinate and get it on the Virgin Mobile network? I ask because my brother gave me his Fascinate and I'm on Virgin Mobile.

Not really. The only way to do that is by ESN Cloning, which is of dubious legality.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
Anyone else doing cyanogen nightlies for the Nexus S? I must say I've had nothing but problems on the stable mod. Slept in for work because my phone froze in the middle of the night. Among missing other important calls because my phone was frozen and a slew of other things happening.

Only a couple freezes over 2 weeks now on nightlies, lots of graphical problems though. Updated 3 nights ago and the contrast was way off on the phone. The browser often causes ADW launcher to crash. Really random stuff.
Not sure if I should just go back to stock or what.

isnotazn
Oct 16, 2008

nickhimself posted:

Thunderbolt with a new 3200mah extended battery from Seido. The case back it comes with hasn't cut 4G so I'm happy.

Also with this battery: I have re-enabled auto-sync for email at 10 minute intervals and for nearly all day I had brightness at maximum.

Any other thunderbolt owners should understand how amazing this really is. I love it.

Seconding the Liquid 3.1 love. I'm also on a Thunderbolt, and this is the best I've ever seen my battery. I got to 70% yesterday (light to moderate usage) in about 7 hours.

Does your phone also seem to be charging faster than normal on this ROM, or is that just me?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

fredor posted:

Anyone else doing cyanogen nightlies for the Nexus S? I must say I've had nothing but problems on the stable mod. Slept in for work because my phone froze in the middle of the night. Among missing other important calls because my phone was frozen and a slew of other things happening.

Only a couple freezes over 2 weeks now on nightlies, lots of graphical problems though. Updated 3 nights ago and the contrast was way off on the phone. The browser often causes ADW launcher to crash. Really random stuff.
Not sure if I should just go back to stock or what.

I have a NS4G, and I've found the CyanogenMod 7 problems to be mostly kernel related.

I'm running 7.1.0.1 Stable...and the stock kernel was causing me to have radio dropouts, sleep of deaths, and other various random reboots. I'v since switched to the Netarchy Kernel (1.3.7 CFS) and while I still get about 1 random reboot per day, I no longer get 2-3 sleep of deaths (which require battery pulls).

Since the phone boots in about 30 seconds, I can live with a random reboot here and there...it was the battery pulls that were really pissing me off.

Last I knew, LastInLine's girlfriend had a NS as well, and she was going to try out the Netarchy kernel also. I haven't seen him post anything saying it's been a bad experience for her.

FWIW - Netarchy did a lot of kernel work on the EVO 4G, so he actually does know his stuff.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Since DXC is jumping ship from the X to Nexus in a couple weeks, MIUI development for the Droid X is pretty much all but gone at this point.

I've been running on the 1.9.30 release on my X (I didn't upgrade anymore since the development switched bases at that point). So I was thinking whether I should jump to CM7 or the re-release of Liberty, or if there's anything else out there that's worth trying. I'm all for battery life and stability, but boy do I love how shiny and clean the MIUI rom was.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

I have a NS4G, and I've found the CyanogenMod 7 problems to be mostly kernel related.

I'm running 7.1.0.1 Stable...and the stock kernel was causing me to have radio dropouts, sleep of deaths, and other various random reboots. I'v since switched to the Netarchy Kernel (1.3.7 CFS) and while I still get about 1 random reboot per day, I no longer get 2-3 sleep of deaths (which require battery pulls).

Since the phone boots in about 30 seconds, I can live with a random reboot here and there...it was the battery pulls that were really pissing me off.

Last I knew, LastInLine's girlfriend had a NS as well, and she was going to try out the Netarchy kernel also. I haven't seen him post anything saying it's been a bad experience for her.

FWIW - Netarchy did a lot of kernel work on the EVO 4G, so he actually does know his stuff.

Awesome, thanks. I'll do some reading and see if I can figure this out. Haven't installed a new kernel before.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

isnotazn posted:

Seconding the Liquid 3.1 love. I'm also on a Thunderbolt, and this is the best I've ever seen my battery. I got to 70% yesterday (light to moderate usage) in about 7 hours.

Does your phone also seem to be charging faster than normal on this ROM, or is that just me?

I haven't really noticed a difference in charge speed after it calibrated the battery life. Originally it went really fast but would die quicker, then after draining the battery once and allowing it to fill to 100%, it seemed to slow down in charge speed but keep battery life a little better.

Overall the liquid rom has been awesome. Very happy with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Dancing Peasant posted:

Since DXC is jumping ship from the X to Nexus in a couple weeks, MIUI development for the Droid X is pretty much all but gone at this point.

I've been running on the 1.9.30 release on my X (I didn't upgrade anymore since the development switched bases at that point). So I was thinking whether I should jump to CM7 or the re-release of Liberty, or if there's anything else out there that's worth trying. I'm all for battery life and stability, but boy do I love how shiny and clean the MIUI rom was.

CM7 isn't actively maintained, either. The future of DX custom roms doesn't seem promising.