Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One of my best friends came over when I was watching RAW (back when I still did). It was the Cage match with Barrett when Punk ran out to help Barrett then "Turned on him" and took over Nexus.

Friend (came by to watch some Star Trek): You know wrestling is fake, right?
Me: You know Star Trek is fake, right?

That pretty much ended that, and it became a running in joke between us since then. (Wanna watch some Trek? Nah man, that poo poo's fake, let's watch some wrestling!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The only time someone's said "You know that's fake, right?" to me in real life, my reply was "I know, and apparently Gregory House isn't a real doctor. I don't even think he's American."

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
That's the same thing I say to people too, "you know it's fake right?", everything on TV is fake. It's carny theater.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

sexy_trash posted:

I compare it to a secret heroin addiction. You don't tell anyone about it and keep to yourself about it as much as possible. But then out of the blue, someone sees the track marks on your arm (aka wearing a CM Punk Best in The World shirt in public) and everyone figures it out.

The only people you divulge your private heroin addiction/love for wrestling with are fellow junkies/fans.

The PSP is our own personal crack house. Where we can truly be ourselves and not hide our ridiculous problem that we should have easily gotten over and been clean since 2002... but we just keep coming back.

This is a ludicrously insane way to look at watching wrestling.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

One of my best friends came over when I was watching RAW (back when I still did). It was the Cage match with Barrett when Punk ran out to help Barrett then "Turned on him" and took over Nexus.

Friend (came by to watch some Star Trek): You know wrestling is fake, right?
Me: You know Star Trek is fake, right?

That pretty much ended that, and it became a running in joke between us since then. (Wanna watch some Trek? Nah man, that poo poo's fake, let's watch some wrestling!)

This is why I loving love Ken Anderson's "Wrestling is real. People are fake." t-shirt because it pretty much killed that argument dead. It's an asinine argument to begin with and I think it lost its real power in the 90s when it felt like Mike Tyson was going to get a title shot in boxing for beating up washed up nobody boxers. He was just going to be gunned right up the card for financial purposes. At that point, I think everyone started to look at the "real" sports they watched and realized that there's a little bit of rigging in all of them, whether it be performance enhancing drugs or favouritism for certain owners and teams. Nothing is really fair. At least in wrestling, the good guy can be booked to win.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Lone Rogue posted:

This is why I loving love Ken Anderson's "Wrestling is real. People are fake." t-shirt because it pretty much killed that argument dead.

yep. beginning and end of the argument right there.

to everyone trying to defend one of the most repugnant businesses in America don't forget to wear your Ken Anderson shirt while doing so.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

El Duke posted:

yep. beginning and end of the argument right there.

to everyone trying to defend one of the most repugnant businesses in America don't forget to wear your Ken Anderson shirt while doing so.

Wrestling isn't even in the top 10 most repugnant businesses in America.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
None of my friends ever gave me poo poo about watching wrestling but on the other hand none of my friends are assholes, so

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Wrestling isn't even in the top 10 most repugnant businesses in America.

depends on how you're making the categories. Its limited impact on people outside of its employ helps it from getting too high, though.

my real point was though that Hot Topic knockoff shirt was poo poo and not how to start or end an argument about how dumb wrestling is.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Duke posted:

my real point was though that Hot Topic knockoff shirt was poo poo and not how to start or end an argument about how dumb wrestling is.

Wrestling is dumb but honestly it compares quite well to reality television.

It's why Hogan Knows Best was a perfect marriage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Z-Magic posted:

When someone calls me stupid for watching wrestling I like rejoin with

"actually it is you who is too stupid to understand it." :smug:

The whole chapter is great and should be mandatory reading for all bookers.

Except pieces like this don't understand wrestling at all, they only have a cursory understanding of wrestling so they can make the analogy they wish to which is almost always superficial. That is also poorly written, the sentence structure is atrocious. "If I throw in enough references and capitalize enough words no one will notice there is no editor!"

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Except pieces like this don't understand wrestling at all, they only have a cursory understanding of wrestling so they can make the analogy they wish to which is almost always superficial. That is also poorly written, the sentence structure is atrocious. "If I throw in enough references and capitalize enough words no one will notice there is no editor!"

It's translated from French and was written in the 50s. It's irrelevant to wrestling today, but not because Barthes was a poor writer or was lacking in ideas. He's one of the better French literary theorists.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

It's why Hogan Knows Best was a perfect marriage.
I can't get my head around the idea of Hulk Hogan involved in a perfect marriage.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Mystery Opponent posted:

None of my friends ever gave me poo poo about watching wrestling but on the other hand none of my friends are assholes, so

This right here. Why do you guys hang out with dicks?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

Yeah, not that my friends give me poo poo about wrestling either but all I'd have to do is say 'Top Model' to clam them up.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Wrestling is ridiculous and fake.
That is why I enjoy it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

my friends always make a big deal about it and mock my favorite entrance themes it's time its time its noogie time

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It warms my heart to know Roland Barthes wrote about wrestling.

I honestly think a problem is that there's not a lot of coverage of wrestling outside of the fandom. Sports publications don't cover it because it's not "real" sports (though some websites are an exception), and general entertainment publications don't give it much attention since they don't know what to do with it. It'd be interesting to get regular perspectives from critics, writers, etc. who aren't necessarily hardcore fans, but think it's worth giving a look.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The thing about wrestling in the media that blows my mind is that The Sun (largest daily newspaper in the UK based on circulation and tenth largest in the world) covers wrestling. Its even in their sports section.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/

It is a horrible trashy tabloid newspaper that isnt worth reading (owned by News Corp) and all their journalism is questionable at best and when it comes to football stories they mostly just make poo poo up.

I guess wrestling is big in England maybe? :confused:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
We used to have a wrestling page in our Ottawa Sun newspaper every Sunday. Don't know if they still do that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

I guess wrestling is big in England maybe? :confused:

Used to be on prime time TV every Saturday or Sunday afternoon. They played it dead straight, straighter than even the southernest rasslin' with strict rules and stuff. Was seen a very "low brow" form of entertainment, hence it being in the Sun.

Unless of course you were being sarcastic, then :negative: on me.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

...but Hall was an rear end in a top hat.

Well he went up to Bubba Dudley and was like, "Hey, I love the 3D! Can't wait to kick out of it! Hahahaha!"

Although it was to Bubba Dudley so its not as bad as Jericho thinks.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ColeM posted:

Well he went up to Bubba Dudley and was like, "Hey, I love the 3D! Can't wait to kick out of it! Hahahaha!"

This is actually an often used joke I've heard backstage at shows. Or at least a few guys love to say it. CJ Felony would always say it to guys who describe their new finisher. Hall might be the first to use it but I doubt it.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Lone Rogue posted:

This is actually an often used joke I've heard backstage at shows. Or at least a few guys love to say it. CJ Felony would always say it to guys who describe their new finisher. Hall might be the first to use it but I doubt it.

My point was that even though he may have been an rear end in a top hat in his last WWE run, but at least it was to another rear end in a top hat who deserved it, which was Bubba Ray Dudley.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Duke posted:

It's translated from French and was written in the 50s. It's irrelevant to wrestling today, but not because Barthes was a poor writer or was lacking in ideas. He's one of the better French literary theorists.

So he watched like, two Gorgeous George matches and that's it? It doesn't really fit the 50s either.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ColeM posted:

That's awesome

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Hypothetical Question:

You are going to work for a wrestling company in your area. There are two wrestling companies to work for.

Wrestling Company A has been around for 3 years and is run by a pro wrestler in his 50s.

Wrestling Company B has only been around for three months and is run by an active businessman in his 50s.

This is all you know about the two companies. Which company do you decide to work for?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Hypothetical Question:

You are going to work for a wrestling company in your area. There are two wrestling companies to work for.

Wrestling Company A has been around for 3 years and is run by a pro wrestler in his 50s.

Wrestling Company B has only been around for three months and is run by an active businessman in his 50s.

This is all you know about the two companies. Which company do you decide to work for?

I go to work in talent relations and occasionally ask for a hypothetical blowjob from certain hypothetical employees.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I wouldn't have to be a wrestler, would I?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bocc Kob posted:

I wouldn't have to be a wrestler, would I?

Nope.

You could be a referee, ring crew, volunteer, announcer, anything. Simply working for one of the companies. Both want you and that's the only details you can know.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lone Rogue posted:

Nope.

You could be a referee, ring crew, volunteer, announcer, anything. Simply working for one of the companies. Both want you and that's the only details you can know.
Whichever gives you more money. Don't like it, then move on to the other. If they're both terrible then congratulations, you've now experienced what it's like to work in the wrestling industry.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lone Rogue posted:

Which company do you decide to work for?

C a company where my boss is less likely to be a sociopath.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Flameingblack posted:

Whichever gives you more money. Don't like it, then move on to the other. If they're both terrible then congratulations, you've now experienced what it's like to work in the wrestling industry.

You're adding details not given to you.

Anything not mentioned is assumed to be the same.

Would you rather work for a person who was a wrestler with no business experience or a person who is a businessman with no experience in the ring?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lone Rogue posted:

Hypothetical Question:

Work for A.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Don't work for either, don't get involved in the wrestling industry.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

Anything not mentioned is assumed to be the same.

Would you rather work for a person who was a wrestler with no business experience or a person who is a businessman with no experience in the ring?

Those two details don't mean anything to me if I don't know anything else about the companies. :colbert:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Lone Rogue posted:

Hypothetical Question:

For fun or as a serious occupation? A is more likely to be a fun job, but likely to go bottom's up compared to B. A businessman is in it to make money, and do what he needs to keep it up. Wrestler is more likely to flame out eventually and go "I'm out" either due to boredom or finances.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Avenging_Mikon posted:

For fun or as a serious occupation?

To give some insight, the reason I posed this was two former wrestling promoters (one I don't know well but he referred to himself as a former wrestling promoter, the other I know was a co-promoter) were quite a bit offended when I brought that one of the problems with wrestling promoters today was that very few had business backgrounds. I re-iterated that sometimes a dream can get you farther than a degree (after the co-promoter brought up Steve Jobs. How topical) but without the background, it's going to be a hard road. I was snubbed for this opinion.

So I was curious to ask goons which they'd prefer. The guy with no business background or the guy with a wrestling background when running a wrestling company. I personally say both but if one or the other, I'd take the guy who knows how to run a business.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lone Rogue posted:

The one that, after I undertake further investigation into both, seems like a more stable and rewarding place of work. I certainly wouldn't go to work for a company when I didn't know anything more about it other than a vague awareness of who the Boss is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is the businessman a successful one? Let's not forget, Vince McMahon is technically a businessman.