Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Thanks for the advice. I'm very new to Lightroom (3.5) and CS5 - is there a easy way to segregate the saturation on items in a photo (eg. only select the elephant and increase saturation) ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

scottch posted:

Just desaturate the yellows a little.

And after that, clone out the wire and post at the bottom of the image.

Edit: If you are using CS, you can use masks to select what you want and work on it that way.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 6, 2011

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

wizard sticks posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm very new to Lightroom (3.5) and CS5 - is there a easy way to segregate the saturation on items in a photo (eg. only select the elephant and increase saturation) ?
Lightroom:
1. Create adjustment brush
2. Fiddle with saturation level for the brush
3. Draw where you want that saturation level to take effect

The fun part of Lightroom is that you can do parts 2 & 3 in whatever order you want.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

I've got a Mac. Should I be thinking Aperture 3 for $180 or Lightroom 3 for $80?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Isn't the pricing the other way around? (Not a Mac guy)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Incredulous Red posted:

I've got a Mac. Should I be thinking Aperture 3 for $180 or Lightroom 3 for $80?

There's no one answer because it's a personal preference kind of thing. Both have 30 day trials, download both and pick whichever you like more.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Isn't the pricing the other way around? (Not a Mac guy)

Actually, I just figured out I can get Aperture for $80 as well. (my school has a discounted site license for lightroom)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I thought Aperture was like $80 on the Mac App Store anyway, for a full license.

Martytoof posted:

There's no one answer because it's a personal preference kind of thing. Both have 30 day trials, download both and pick whichever you like more.
This is the ideal answer.

I've never used Aperture myself, but Lightroom is less "the Adobe way" than all their other products for what it's worth.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

The yellow streaks of grass above the dog are way too prevalent in this photo. What's the approach to reduce this effect? Color curves? Saturation?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd probably try to go into Photoshop and do a yellow desaturation with a gradient mask that ends just above the dog so you don't desaturate the dog.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Probably easier to just put the grass on a new layer in Photoshop and then play with its yellow hue/saturation.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
What's the best way to subtlety blend different shades of backgrounds?

It makes more sense if i show you.

I want them all to basically look like they were all on the same background, seamless.

Should I just be dodge/burning to a point where i'm happy? Should there be layer blending going on?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cyberbob posted:

What's the best way to subtlety blend different shades of backgrounds?

It makes more sense if i show you.

I want them all to basically look like they were all on the same background, seamless.

Should I just be dodge/burning to a point where i'm happy? Should there be layer blending going on?
Mask off the models and replace the background completely.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

quazi posted:

Lightroom:
1. Create adjustment brush
2. Fiddle with saturation level for the brush
3. Draw where you want that saturation level to take effect

The fun part of Lightroom is that you can do parts 2 & 3 in whatever order you want.

It's much easier than this;

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

IsaacNewton posted:

Check out using that little circle doodad in the saturation section. That's how I do it for specific areas.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

IsaacNewton posted:

That's a good method too, but if you wanted to desaturate the pink background without affecting the pink elephant, then adjustment curves are the way to go.

Masking can be a pain though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I guess this isn't a particularly interesting photo, but think this processing is okay?

Flickr page:

Still life by markosaar, on Flickr

The flowers look great to me on some monitors but just a giant yellow blob on others :(

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
It's a bit of a blob on my monitor, can't see the borders between some of the petals.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

The flowers look great to me on some monitors but just a giant yellow blob on others :(

The thumbnail is just a blob, the top right one has discernable petals. Try lowering the contrast for just the flowers, then compensate with increased saturation.

ETA: Something like this (overlay high pass sharpening helps too)

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 10, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Still blown away by what you can in under 60 seconds in Lightroom

50mm @ 1/100 f/1.4 ISO 3200

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

You're like a reverse terrible photographer who slapped on a weird purple filter onto a good photograph.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A few neat tutorials.

http://night-fate.deviantart.com/gallery/176415

I'm not a huge fan of the "composite elements to make a new picture", but some of the colour adjustment tutorials are right up my alley.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Martytoof posted:

http://night-fate.deviantart.com/gallery/176415
I'm not a huge fan of the "composite elements to make a new picture", but some of the colour adjustment tutorials are right up my alley.

How do you learn to do these kinds of weird color adjustments without feeling guilty? Whenever I try dropping colored gradients or split toning I feel like the photography police is going to show up any minute for ruining a perfectly fine source image.

Also while the end results of the tutorials look fine the in-between steps don't. For example how does one come up with the idea of putting a purple layer in exclusion mode over a picture ? By itself that looks pretty horrible and only several layers later does it get tempered into something attractive.

Just to clarify- there is absolutely no difference between Fill & Opacity sliders unless Layer Styles are involved. Correct ?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well in my case, most of the time the source image isn't "perfectly fine", it's "flat and boring" :(

Can't really answer the rest since I'm still learning myself. I guess it's just a matter of experience. Once you're familiar enough with blending styles you can probably predict what each will look like, and even if you can't, there's something to be said for just experimenting. I guess that's why even if some of those tutorials are lame effects that I'll never use, it's a nice exercise in getting me to think outside the box :)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Well in my case, most of the time the source image isn't "perfectly fine", it's "flat and boring" :(

Can't really answer the rest since I'm still learning myself. I guess it's just a matter of experience. Once you're familiar enough with blending styles you can probably predict what each will look like, and even if you can't, there's something to be said for just experimenting. I guess that's why even if some of those tutorials are lame effects that I'll never use, it's a nice exercise in getting me to think outside the box :)

Yeah, I ran through one and ended up going on a tangent and really improving the image I was testing out.

That's the thing that a lot of actions/tutorials gloss over is knowing what works for what kind of image. I wish there was more "oh hey, this image has a lot of yellows and a good way to take advantage of that is to push the colour balance this way etc." rather than just reeling off a bunch of numbers to copy

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, I ran through one and ended up going on a tangent and really improving the image I was testing out.

That's the thing that a lot of actions/tutorials gloss over is knowing what works for what kind of image. I wish there was more "oh hey, this image has a lot of yellows and a good way to take advantage of that is to push the colour balance this way etc." rather than just reeling off a bunch of numbers to copy

This would be so extremely helpful. I especially love following a tutorial for an image and then yours comes out looking like complete poo because the overall colour balance/contrast/brightness etc of your original image was totally different. I guess that's where I kind of need to make my own decisions, but it's hard when I have no idea!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

This would be so extremely helpful. I especially love following a tutorial for an image and then yours comes out looking like complete poo because the overall colour balance/contrast/brightness etc of your original image was totally different. I guess that's where I kind of need to make my own decisions, but it's hard when I have no idea!

The linked tutorials are sort of okay for that - just at every level where she just tells you the colour balance or curves adjustments just tweak them for yourselves too.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

The linked tutorials are sort of okay for that - just at every level where she just tells you the colour balance or curves adjustments just tweak them for yourselves too.

That's pretty sweet...tbh I didn't even look at them :P But I should probably get some work done today at my actual job, so I will take a look tonight!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what bothers me about a lot of people who sell presets too. You can't just click a button and expect your photo to look like Kodachrome or something. There's got to be some basic level of manual tweaking because not all photos have the same tones :q:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

omg it's just like film, sooo dreamy

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

That's what bothers me about a lot of people who sell presets too. You can't just click a button and expect your photo to look like Kodachrome or something. There's got to be some basic level of manual tweaking because not all photos have the same tones :q:

It's a really frustrating business model for me personally just because they're not selling knowledge, just a magic button. People make MAD cash out of it.

I use a mix of actions I've bastardised and created just to get me in a ballpark and from there it's individual tweaking.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

It's a really frustrating business model for me personally just because they're not selling knowledge, just a magic button. People make MAD cash out of it.

I use a mix of actions I've bastardised and created just to get me in a ballpark and from there it's individual tweaking.

To be fair it also must be pretty frustrating for them that people like me have 5k worth of their actions and have not paid a cent

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Hot Cops posted:

To be fair it also must be pretty frustrating for them that people like me have 5k worth of their actions and have not paid a cent

haha. It's crazy how photography distorts the value of nearly everything. I don't mind teenagers selling their action packs to flickr friends for 20 bucks or something, but the companies that industrialise it and sell 200 dollar action packs - I mean once you know what goes into them it's fairly easy to replicate them and build your own.

That's why I think night elf or whoever gets a lot of credit because 99 out of 100 people would just sell their actions to the adoring masses.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm still really terrible with how much functionality I can get out of Photoshop, and I'm struggling with this: How do I get multiple layers with masks to show up properly? I find that if I make a duplicate background layer, then mask something off and make some changes to certain areas, I can't figure out how to mask off another section to make different kinds of changes. It always just fucks up the mask of the second one if I duplicate the 2nd background layer, or fucks up the first mask if I duplicate the first background layer. I end up having to merge or flatten the image and then start from scratch.

herp derp.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

CarrotFlowers posted:

How do I get multiple layers with masks to show up properly?

By 'gently caress up' do you mean the edges are harsher? If you have a masked object the edges are (probably) partially transparent. If you duplicate that layer then the edges add up and seem less transparent giving you a harder edge. You really shouldn't be having any masked edges that are overlapping though; Most changes can be made with masked adjustment layers and even those can be isolated to masked raster layers by clicking the overlapping circles in the adjustment layer toolbox.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

CarrotFlowers posted:

I'm still really terrible with how much functionality I can get out of Photoshop, and I'm struggling with this: How do I get multiple layers with masks to show up properly? I find that if I make a duplicate background layer, then mask something off and make some changes to certain areas, I can't figure out how to mask off another section to make different kinds of changes. It always just fucks up the mask of the second one if I duplicate the 2nd background layer, or fucks up the first mask if I duplicate the first background layer. I end up having to merge or flatten the image and then start from scratch.

herp derp.

What sort of changes are you making? If you're doing adjustments like levels, curves, saturation, etc., use adjustment layers. Just use a soft brush to mask out the areas you do not want affected by your adjustments. All very non-destructible and easy to modify later.

scottch fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 20, 2011

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Hover over the border between the right side of the border of the two layers and alt click when you see the clasped rings. This will piggyback the adjustment to the layer.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

scottch posted:

What sort of changes are you making? If you're doing adjustments like layers, curves, saturation, etc., use adjustment layers. Just use a soft brush to mask out the areas you do not want affected by your adjustments. All very non-destructible and easy to modify later.

I work in a creative office and realized not everyone knows this. A fellow creative always destroyed images by not doing adjustment layers. Finally when it came time to work on a file she had been working on, I realized everything was flattened and I couldn't adjust anything. Luckily our production team saves original images just for moments like these.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Amazon UK have Adobe Lightroom 3.0 for £119 (44% saving) in the Black Friday sales, starting in about half an hour.

edit: God, they went quick.

weapey fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

scottch posted:

What sort of changes are you making? If you're doing adjustments like levels, curves, saturation, etc., use adjustment layers. Just use a soft brush to mask out the areas you do not want affected by your adjustments. All very non-destructible and easy to modify later.

Yeah, mostly just adjustments like that. I think I'm using adjustment layers, because they're non-destructive, but I dont think I was using them quite properly. I didn't know you could mask stuff off in the actual adjustment layer itself....duh. Seems quite obvious now!

Thanks!

• Locked thread