Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Yep, mongrels is still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

My birthday is in the middle of November, and the long standing tradition is that nobody gives a poo poo about Christmas until after that. I propose we roll that system out nationwide. Nobody give a poo poo about Christmas until next Friday at the earliest.

Annoying as they often are, the thought occurs that the Americans did this the right way by inventing a late November holiday, which makes it utterly impossible to bring out any Christmas crap before then because the reaction would just be "but it's not been Thanksgiving yet!"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Dr Snofeld posted:

My birthday is in the middle of November, and the long standing tradition is that nobody gives a poo poo about Christmas until after that. I propose we roll that system out nationwide. Nobody give a poo poo about Christmas until next Friday at the earliest.

Aw hell, I just remembered we have the singing Iceland adverts to look forward to.

My cue for Christmas caring was seeing The Pogues do 'Fairytale Of New York' live in London, but they've quit touring now, so Christmas is cancelled. I can also distinctly remember seeing a couple of ads for Christmas at the start of October, but can also remember in the early 2000s the Christmas decorations going up in the centre of Brum before Halloween.

But to keep it on topic, any decent Christmas specials in the works for this year? The papers have been largely quiet on that front.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Annoying as they often are, the thought occurs that the Americans did this the right way by inventing a late November holiday, which makes it utterly impossible to bring out any Christmas crap before then because the reaction would just be "but it's not been Thanksgiving yet!"

Although I learned today that Thanksgiving was moved to that late November slot to create a longer Winter shopping season. You just can't win.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

But to keep it on topic, any decent Christmas specials in the works for this year? The papers have been largely quiet on that front.

I though I heard something about a Christmas Downton.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Kerbtree posted:

Yep, mongrels is still good.

I happily concur!
Has the voice of Vince changed?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
It's not officially Christmas until the Christmas Radio Times comes out.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Guardian has details of Charlie Brooker's new programme

quote:

The National Anthem: the princess, the PM and bestiality on TV? It must be C4

It has all the hallmarks of a vintage Channel 4 controversy: not only does the broadcaster's new drama feature the abduction of a princess bearing a distinct similarity to the Duchess of Cambridge, but the kidnapper's demands involve the prime minister having sex on live TV – with a pig.

Written by Charlie Brooker, the hour-long comic drama The National Anthem, to be broadcast next month, uses the farcical set-piece to examine the way we interact on the internet, and the consequences of the influence of social media.

"Opinion shifts harder and faster it seems to me with Twitter and rolling news. Those two forces combined create a strange situation," said Brooker.

Starring Rory Kinnear as the fictional PM and Lindsay Duncan as his home secretary, the drama follows reaction to the royal kidnapping in Downing Street and among a gleeful public, despite the government's best attempts to stifle the story.

"In my head it was a cross between when Gordon Brown had to go and apologise to Gillian Duffy, and I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. In an odd way it's a combination of those two events," said Brooker.

Channel 4 admit that the show is likely to be controversial. "I think it's quite provocative, but there's a message there as well because it's about how vicarious we are and the public appetite for spectacle," said Shane Allen, C4's head of comedy.

"You've got to credit people with the intelligence that they'll get the echoes and the references. We don't want to spoonfeed people."

According to Brooker, who also writes a column for the Guardian, the concept is more likely to be viewed as outrageous than the programme itself. "I think when [people] watch it, I don't think there will be that much of an outcry," he said. "It's not a massively comfortable piece of television to watch, but it's not designed to just simply outrage people."

The National Anthem is the first of three standalone dramas linked by a theme of technological change – two of which are penned by Brooker, who said he was inspired by watching shows such as The Twilight Zone and Tales of the Unexpected. They will be broadcast in early December as a mini-series called Black Mirror.

The National Anthem's director, Otto Bathurst, said that while the programme might initially be funny, it was important that the audience's reaction followed that of the show's imagined public.

"[The idea was] that was happening inside the telly was the same as was happening at home," he said. "So hopefully the audience are slightly shocked in the same way."

As for the reaction on Twitter, Brooker joked: "I hope no one is on Twitter during the show. Obviously they will be but I hope that they're watching rather than tweeting, generally speaking."

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

I've always liked the American sitcom idea where you have a thanksgiving turkey dinner with your mates and a Christmas one with your family. That said I don't know how well your idea would work here considering Lidl were doing Christmas cakes before Halloween.

Also if you don't buy all your Christmas stuff for 90% off on boxing day and stick it in a closet all year than lol

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Brown Moses posted:

The Guardian has details of Charlie Brooker's new programme

Shall we just assume this won't be repeated?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Well it is C4 and they did repeat the Brasseye special...

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Our neighbours have had their xmas tree sat outside our kitchen window for the best part of a year now. It's never quite made the last few feet to the bins.
It's a little worse for wear - no needles left at all.
I'm looking forward to December when I can stick some tinsel on it. Then camp out with a camera to see their reaction.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, I can hardly disagree with this piece in the Independent more. Did "belly laugh, live in front of a studio audience" sitcoms even go anywhere? Wasn't My Family really popular around the time of The Office and whatnot? I doubt this kind of Miranda-esque comedy is going anywhere soon but it still seems apparent to me that we're slowly going further away from studio audiences in our comedies. They also mention Mrs Brown's Boys - my mum tried to show me some of it, and in the end of the episode the whole cast unironically burst out into a big musical number. :smith:

Can't wait for Black Mirror and 2011 Wipe, next month should be a good time for TV, though Christmas time also means I'll be going back to stay with my parents and therefore be unable to avoid our awful, awful adverts. Again: :smith:

On a less complain-y note, I started re-watching the new Alan Partridge series, Mid Morning Matters - somebody put them back up on youtube. No plot, just pure Alan. Absolutely pissing myself laughing, jaw aching.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Irisi posted:

Mostly to me. My family had a weird weakness for advent calendar chocolate. Bars of the stuff can sit in the house for weeks, but put a wee scrap of cheap chocolate behind a cardboard door and we'd knock down our granny to get to it first.

I still hate all this early Christmas stuff though. Especially that godawful M&S advert.

For me its the little bags of chocolate coins, I know the are cheap chocolate scrapings but they just taste so good. But yeah advertising this early is just wasteful.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I felt really bad for a soundman I worked with because he'd bought a load of second hand radio packs only to be told by Ofcom that he couldn't use them for much longer, and he'd missed the rebate window to get some money back for his license.

Which is pretty poo poo really (we still used them don't tell the government :ssh:)

I had no idea they were doing rebates. We still have a ton of old gear in all of our lecture theatres and I have no idea if they've been replaced yet. It's going to cost a bomb.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

sebzilla posted:

The best bit of christmas is the seasonal BBC1/BBC2 program introduction video things (can't think what the proper name is) with all the kids in reindeer costumes and whatever :3:

There won't be any new idents this year. Cutbacks I guess. They are using last years, plus some from 2006 apparently.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

thehustler posted:

There won't be any new idents this year. Cutbacks I guess. They are using last years, plus some from 2006 apparently.

They should use the idents from the 80s and 90s. That would be a real nostalgia kick for a lot of people.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Gram-O-Phone posted:

They should use the idents from the 80s and 90s. That would be a real nostalgia kick for a lot of people.
Won't be in widescreen though.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Cerv posted:

Won't be in widescreen though.

Maybe they could add some festive borders down the sides of the screen.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Maybe they could add some festive borders down the sides of the screen.
Good idea, or they could pan-and-scan 16:9 them if there's enough headroom at the top and bottom

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

thehustler posted:

Seriously? This it is the worst cut yet. gently caress the Tories, etc

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
been re-watching Grandma's House recently, forgot how good that show was. Apparently they're filming a new series either right now or very soon :getin:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Dr Snofeld posted:

Aw hell, I just remembered we have the singing Iceland adverts to look forward to.

I work in an Iceland. They just put out their christmas food. They're coming aren't they :(

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I work in an Iceland. They just put out their christmas food. They're coming aren't they :(

The one good thing aboue the Iceland adverts is that, at least within my family, 'prawn ring' is now shorthand for terrible food.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Idioteque Dance posted:

Wow, I can hardly disagree with this piece in the Independent more. Did "belly laugh, live in front of a studio audience" sitcoms even go anywhere? Wasn't My Family really popular around the time of The Office and whatnot? I doubt this kind of Miranda-esque comedy is going anywhere soon but it still seems apparent to me that we're slowly going further away from studio audiences in our comedies. They also mention Mrs Brown's Boys - my mum tried to show me some of it, and in the end of the episode the whole cast unironically burst out into a big musical number. :smith:

I'll agree with you on the other things, but give Mrs. Brown's Boys another go. It incorporates all the fun stuff from traditional laughtrack sitcoms while not taking itself at all seriously and subverting the format in a fun sort of way. I've certainly quite liked the episodes I've seen anyway.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Jonnty posted:

I'll agree with you on the other things, but give Mrs. Brown's Boys another go. It incorporates all the fun stuff from traditional laughtrack sitcoms while not taking itself at all seriously and subverting the format in a fun sort of way. I've certainly quite liked the episodes I've seen anyway.

I've only seen one episode of Mrs Brown's boys, and while it is very traditional, it is strangely likable in a way that I never found Miranda to be.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm thrilled that Mongrels is indeed still good.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm thrilled that Mongrels is indeed still good.

It is, the John Terry's dog bit was great, even if I found it terrible that I found it funny.

And I love that the reaction of humans is still 'what the gently caress, why are there animals in my office' rather than accepting that talking animals exist in this world.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
New series of Richard Herring's Objective started today. I was at work when it was on so I'll be having a listen to it now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016wzrz/Richard_Herrings_Objective_Series_2_The_Golliwog/

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
I really enjoyed Mrs Brown's Boys, I'm not sure whether it was genuine or not but there were parts when the guy playing Mrs Brown would just snap out of character and it didn't seem as though the supporting cast were expecting it. Cue the others actors or a cameraman or someone struggling to maintain composure. Those bits were brilliant.
We don't seem to do much on food programmes in this thread. Probably because most of them are boring but I've just binged through Jamie's Britain and and I reckon it's a great return to form after Jamie at Home. Anyone else watching it?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jamie Oliver is quite annoying but his books are full of lovely food and his Dream School thing was pretty entertaining. I can't stand his tear-filled moralising crusades on school dinners, though. Bring back turkey twizzlers!

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Does anybody else get sucked in by the Great British Bake-off whenever it's on? I think it's Mel and Sue that makes it watchable.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Kraxis posted:

I really enjoyed Mrs Brown's Boys, I'm not sure whether it was genuine or not but there were parts when the guy playing Mrs Brown would just snap out of character and it didn't seem as though the supporting cast were expecting it. Cue the others actors or a cameraman or someone struggling to maintain composure. Those bits were brilliant.
We don't seem to do much on food programmes in this thread. Probably because most of them are boring but I've just binged through Jamie's Britain and and I reckon it's a great return to form after Jamie at Home. Anyone else watching it?
Fair enough, I might give it another go just to be fair, then. I really like subtle out-of-character gags like that but we'll see.

You gotta be joking about the food thing, though. This thread might as well be called "The Great British Bake-Off programme discussion"

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kraxis posted:

I really enjoyed Mrs Brown's Boys

Personally I think it's one of the worst sitcoms in all of history.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Idioteque Dance posted:

You gotta be joking about the food thing, though. This thread might as well be called "The Great British Bake-Off programme discussion"

I started watching Masterchef after being late to the party on this video and it's probably the only cooking show I can watch. The contestants have a real skill and are earnestly and honestly trying to be the best dude, which is much more appealing than waxing poetic about basil or some poo poo. Like, I watched some of Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking and, whilst I think the guy is great, I've never seen so much jizz over eating a loving pear or whatever in my life.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

gwaaargh posted:

I started watching Masterchef after being late to the party on this video and it's probably the only cooking show I can watch. The contestants have a real skill and are earnestly and honestly trying to be the best dude, which is much more appealing than waxing poetic about basil or some poo poo. Like, I watched some of Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking and, whilst I think the guy is great, I've never seen so much jizz over eating a loving pear or whatever in my life.

Ha, I saw that pear thing as well.

Nigel Slater seems to have a different definition of the word 'simple' to the rest of us because I swear I've never seen such convoluted recipes in my life.

Also everything he makes is conveniently related to some blissful childhood memory.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Nigel Slater is such a massive ponce. Watched some of the Hairy Bikers today and I'd forgotten just how loving poo poo they are as well. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall is the man but his assistants are all cocks. I just hate almost everyone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Red Oktober posted:

It is, the John Terry's dog bit was great, even if I found it terrible that I found it funny.

And I love that the reaction of humans is still 'what the gently caress, why are there animals in my office' rather than accepting that talking animals exist in this world.

The Argos vouchers!

I quite enjoyed the silly little Mossad Middle Class Fox Hitman plot going on.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

thehustler posted:

I had no idea they were doing rebates. We still have a ton of old gear in all of our lecture theatres and I have no idea if they've been replaced yet. It's going to cost a bomb.

Yeah they did (registration was last year though) http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2010/08/05/ofcom-explains-how-government-funding-package-for-wireless-microphone-users-will-work/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
God, I just watched that most recent Derren Brown murder confession thing. I felt so sorry for that guy. I'm amazed he took it so well at the end. I suppose the intense relief would overwhelm all other feelings. I think if I'd become convinced that I'd committed a murder under those circumstances I probably would have been thinking about suicide.