Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

One last one from my recent trip to the mountains:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samjack56
Dec 26, 2007

Dread Head posted:

I left on Saturday morning (the 15th) so probably not.

Ah, I had just missed you, I went that afternoon.

slothmeister
May 25, 2011
I was down in Devon last week, managed to make it down as far as Start Point, unfortunately the weather wasn't playing ball.

Struggled to get a shot that i actually liked, then the ones that i did try and save I couldn't get the exposure or colour that was uniform for all the shots, hence why these are all different.

Start Point Lighthouse Long Exposure by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Start Point by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Start Point by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Also took a walk further along the coast up to Dartmouth, found this little jetty behind the castle and took a couple of long exposures.

Dartmouth Castle Long Exposure by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Dartmouth Bay Long Exposure by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Man I'm getting back into my hill walking and hiking, and I need to get back into my photography as well. Looking at the last year or so of posts in this thread has been great inspiration. If you've had a random guy add you on Flickr it's probably me so that I can check out your photos later on: there's too much good stuff to digest at once!

I want to bring my Canon 350D along with me on my walks to take some landscape photos, but don't want to be taking a bunch of lenses. What single lens would give me the best bang for my buck? I'd rather not spend more than £200 and would be willing to buy second hand.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

just went out for a bit to great falls park. Unfortunately, I got there a little after the sun set so none of the pictures looked as good as they could have been. Here's one from the little excursion. Clicking will bring up the full size version.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What's up NoVA buddy?

Awesome shot!

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost
One from this morning:

Peaks of Otter Morning by johnm3000, on Flickr

amoeba
Aug 15, 2001
Long time reader, first time poster (well, this thread, anyway). Spent part of the weekend in south west Western Australia scouting some locations with friends of mine who are getting married in a couple of weeks' time.

_MG_9399.jpg by justin.wake, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Nice shots, but I'd back off on the vignetting. It's quite distracting, especially in the sky. For the first and fourth shots, I'd consider using a gradient overlay (or a gradiated ND filter) instead to keep the sky even.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Dread Head posted:

I love this for the feeling that you're floating inside the canyon.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Dread Head posted:

I really like the softer colours in this. Matches the sky perfectly.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Dread Head posted:

I like the angle and positioning on this. And I love how you can see that it's been raining. But there's a small circle in the center below the bridge and just above the river bend that is brighter than the rest of the image that keeps drawing my attention, and now I can't un-see it.

slothmeister
May 25, 2011

David Pratt posted:

Nice shots, but I'd back off on the vignetting. It's quite distracting, especially in the sky. For the first and fourth shots, I'd consider using a gradient overlay (or a gradiated ND filter) instead to keep the sky even.

Thanks, the gradiant hasn't been added by me, think its the effect my grad filters have on my lenses

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Dread Head posted:

Looks like some kind of dream world...really like them.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Dread Head posted:

Nice Dread Head. FYI, I was looking at the exif info of your photos on flickr and your website reported in copyright info (https://www.bryntassell.ca) throws a warning in Firefox (This web page at ristoncharge.in has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well, as tough as it is going after those amazing DreadHead photos, I'm crossposting from SAD.

Mt Fuji 5th Station by hookshot88, on Flickr

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Dread Head posted:

These are gorgeous :)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

calcio posted:

Nice Dread Head. FYI, I was looking at the exif info of your photos on flickr and your website reported in copyright info (https://www.bryntassell.ca) throws a warning in Firefox (This web page at ristoncharge.in has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences).

Interesting, not getting that message in FF here...

Edit: upon further investigation something does seem to be up, but only from certain referrers. Thanks for the heads up.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 31, 2011

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A big thank you to calcio somehow a my .htaccess file was replaced and was redirecting people to a bad site, but only if they came from certain sites such as flickr, google etc. Seems to be fixed for me. Thanks again.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Drumheller, Alberta is always an interesting place to shoot:

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Does this count as a landscape?

Skyline from Clapham. by Clwn, on Flickr

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I really struggle with landscapes. I had a crack though.
Any good books around to get a little insight into what makes landscape shots better?

IMG_0069s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0080s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0059s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0103s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

A5H posted:

I really struggle with landscapes. I had a crack though.
Any good books around to get a little insight into what makes landscape shots better?

IMG_0069s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0080s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0059s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_0103s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

I think you're fine right where you are. Other than the odd corner vignette (I'm guessing polarizer?) the processing is spot on (though you could crop out the hay barn in the fourth image). The third image doesn't fit with the other three in terms of color consistency, but definitely stands fine on its own. The second and fourth could use some perspective correction. There is a slight weakness in terms of depth, which is really the main focus/goal of landscapes. The first image has great atmospheric perspective on the mountain range in the background, but with such a large sky/foreground it just isn't commanding enough (this could possibly be remedied with a crop). The second photo goes the other route of creating depth by having a familiar object in the very close foreground, unfortunately it isn't that close, both in terms of relationship to the viewer and to the background. As for books I would just advise reading high quality nature/travel books like National Geographic and taking notes of what you like. Most books on nature photography will probably be too basic and your processing will probably be beyond them. If anything look for books on compositional theory or color theory.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TheLastManStanding posted:

I think you're fine right where you are. Other than the odd corner vignette (I'm guessing polarizer?) the processing is spot on (though you could crop out the hay barn in the fourth image). The third image doesn't fit with the other three in terms of color consistency, but definitely stands fine on its own. The second and fourth could use some perspective correction. There is a slight weakness in terms of depth, which is really the main focus/goal of landscapes. The first image has great atmospheric perspective on the mountain range in the background, but with such a large sky/foreground it just isn't commanding enough (this could possibly be remedied with a crop). The second photo goes the other route of creating depth by having a familiar object in the very close foreground, unfortunately it isn't that close, both in terms of relationship to the viewer and to the background. As for books I would just advise reading high quality nature/travel books like National Geographic and taking notes of what you like. Most books on nature photography will probably be too basic and your processing will probably be beyond them. If anything look for books on compositional theory or color theory.

Thanks man. Yeah I used a polariser.
I'll have a look into books. I think number 2 is strongest because of the path that leads you in from the corner. I can compose okay when there's nice stuff like that to use. Will also try to fix the sky as someone has suggested. gently caress knows how though.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

A5H posted:

Will also try to fix the sky as someone has suggested. gently caress knows how though.
Exposure adjustment layer in Photoshop with a gradient on the mask.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don't know how to do that but I'll try find a tutorial.
Will it let me keep the clouds etc?

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
It will just make the darker parts of the sky lighter, so you'll still have the clouds. I'd use a curves layer instead of an exposure adjustment for more control, but either will work.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm curious if I could have done anything to improve the dark lower left of this photo if I had a second chance to shoot the scene.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try shooting it when the sun is on the other side (that is, if you shot that at sunset, try it in the morning).

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

InternetJunky posted:

I'm curious if I could have done anything to improve the dark lower left of this photo if I had a second chance to shoot the scene.

That's Mt. Lorette in K-Country, isn't it?

I have a few favourites I took in the Canadian Rockies that I've been meaning to share for a while. I lurk this thread often.

Lake Magog and Mt. Assiniboine

Snowstorm approaching The 'Boine

Dolomite Pass from Cirque Peak summit ridge

Berg Lake, Berg Glacier and Mt. Robson

Robson again from Toboggan Falls

Summit of Yamnuska

I guess they're mostly individual mountains rather than landscapes, but mountains are huge so they count, right?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I hate people, so I take pictures of trees and my dog instead. Here are some photographs of trees.

DSC_0535.jpg by wholesome_, on Flickr

DSC_0531.jpg by wholesome_, on Flickr

DSC_0532.jpg by wholesome_, on Flickr

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 8, 2011

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

WierdFishes posted:

I have a few favourites I took in the Canadian Rockies that I've been meaning to share for a while. I lurk this thread often.

Lake Magog and Mt. Assiniboine

Snowstorm approaching The 'Boine

Dolomite Pass from Cirque Peak summit ridge

Berg Lake, Berg Glacier and Mt. Robson

Robson again from Toboggan Falls

Summit of Yamnuska

I guess they're mostly individual mountains rather than landscapes, but mountains are huge so they count, right?

I really like all of these. Inspires me to go out soon! Mount Yamnuska scares the poo poo out of me though...I don't know how people hike it. There was a 9 year old cruising it last time I went and I was scared shitless. I was extremely hungover though, which was a terrible call on my part so maybe that had something to do with it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The quality of photos in this thread has been even more astounding than usual of late. Here's a few of mine crossposted from SAD, been trying to practice landscapes.

Maple Ridge by hookshot88, on Flickr

Sunset in Maple Ridge by hookshot88, on Flickr

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Some pictures I took last winter:

Sundog

Snow Crossing

Road to Nowhere

Ripples

Frosti

Infinity

Depth : Dimensions

Fog Trees

Wind and Pines

Wind and Pines II

All from my photobucket (Koivubucket) http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/Koivubucket/?start=60

Istrian
Dec 23, 2006

Et, ou tu vas exactement?

WierdFishes posted:

Beautiful, I really need to get/save money to trip both USA and Canadian mountains. They look amazing.

Some of my recent trip to Zermatt, cliche but a place everyone should visit:

Form Zermatt by qbulka, on Flickr

Skiing at the top by qbulka, on Flickr

Snow walk by qbulka, on Flickr

Toblerone by qbulka, on Flickr

Matterhorn by qbulka, on Flickr

Alps. by qbulka, on Flickr

Waiting at the top by qbulka, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Victoria Sunset by hookshot88, on Flickr

Victoria Sunset by hookshot88, on Flickr