Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Weirdest thing, I got an email from Netflix today confirming my payment for the month - but they've never done that before. And it was cryptically titled "Problem solved." Any idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
Smells phishy.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

The Producers is on instant watch. Having never seen it, I watched it the other night, and it's pretty drat hilarious. Do yourself a favor and watch it soon.

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
Which one?

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

The one with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. Is the newer one any good?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

It's been a while, but I remember them both being very enjoyable.

And their both on instant.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

New one is far better in my opinion but I'm a big fan of both. I don't think the old one aged very well so the new one stands out more.

Oh and i should mention that the new producers is by far my absolute favorite comedy in existance and anybody who hasn't seen it should make an effort to. It's just that good.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Agent355 posted:

New one is far better in my opinion but I'm a big fan of both. I don't think the old one aged very well so the new one stands out more.

Yeah, the new one is way improved. Ulla is actually a character and not a background-dancing blonde ribcage with tits.

And I'm not sure why, but Zero Mostel gives me hives.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Prof. Numbers posted:

Smells phishy.

My first thought, but I can't sniff out anything obviously wrong with it. No "false" links or anything.

New issue that's pissing me off: I go to Netflix today and find out the site's missing a lot of functionality, from popup descriptions to actually loading movies. It's because all that appears to now be hosted on edgesuite.net, which is blocked by NoScript pending my approval which is unlikely because it has a really lovely reputation.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Saint Sputnik posted:

My first thought, but I can't sniff out anything obviously wrong with it. No "false" links or anything.

New issue that's pissing me off: I go to Netflix today and find out the site's missing a lot of functionality, from popup descriptions to actually loading movies. It's because all that appears to now be hosted on edgesuite.net, which is blocked by NoScript pending my approval which is unlikely because it has a really lovely reputation.

You realize that EdgeSuite is Akamai and is simply a content delivery network, right?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

redmercer posted:

Yeah, the new one is way improved. Ulla is actually a character and not a background-dancing blonde ribcage with tits.

And I'm not sure why, but Zero Mostel gives me hives.

I love the new one as a movie. Way more fleshed out, and more numbers that, in the original, you felt would be amazing if they actually showed them. I prefer the original cast though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Juriko posted:

I love the new one as a movie. Way more fleshed out, and more numbers that, in the original, you felt would be amazing if they actually showed them. I prefer the original cast though.

The new one is weird to me because they kept all of their over-exaggerated mannerisms from the stage whilst on film. It doesn't really translate well.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Inzombiac posted:

The new one is weird to me because they kept all of their over-exaggerated mannerisms from the stage whilst on film. It doesn't really translate well.

Weird because thats the reason I love it :v:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Speaking of film adaptions of stage plays - crossposted from the other Netflix thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442155&pagenumber=8#post397340171

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I just watched Pontypool. Not amazing, but it's certainly good enough to have on while dicking around on the computer.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

particle409 posted:

I just watched Pontypool. Not amazing, but it's certainly good enough to have on while dicking around on the computer.

I watched this a while back because the premise sounded kind of cool but then it turned out to be awful.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

cornface posted:

I watched this a while back because the premise sounded kind of cool but then it turned out to be awful.

Try watching it while playing computer games. The plot is simple enough that you can not pay attention for 10-15 minutes, and still get by.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I watched Word Wars again a couple of nights ago. If you like weird documentaries, it is a pretty good one. It follows several broken shells of human beings through competition in the world Scrabble championship.

Still criminal that Hands on a Hard Body isn't available, even on disc.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched an animated web/tv series called Afterworld, only the first 13 episodes are on Netflix but the whole thing is on YouTube. It's very contrived but fun to watch if you like post-apocalyptic stuff. Basically something happens and 99% of all people just disappear and all technology stops working. Russel Shoemaker is an advertising guy in New York on business when the event happens. The first 13 episodes are him working his way back to Seattle to check on his wife and kid while he chronicles changes to the Earth, society and finds clues to what caused the mysterious downfall. The basic mystery is solved within 13 episodes but lingering mysteries and details remain which I assume are answered in the webisodes on YouTube (haven't watched those yet). The animation may not be for everyone, it's mostly still pictures and barely animated scenes with one live-action video clip. If you think of it as an audiobook with pictures, it's less annoying.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Afterworld/70217323?trkid=4213507

[edit: apparently the 13 episodes on Netflix are all that was made]

wormil has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Nov 9, 2011

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Someone recommended Day Night Day Night in one of the Netflix threads on here, and I can't help but reaffirm that recommendation. It's fabulous. It's about a woman preparing to be a suicide bomber in New York and the last few days before the mission. It's a really well put-together movie.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Steal, starring Stephen Dorff and Natasha Henstridge is a fun Heist movie about a group of daredevils (extreme sports enthusiasts) who pull a series of robberies and are beset by various interests who wish to exploit their talents. Worth seeing for the original opening chase scene along with some excellent vehicle stunts especially considering the fairly low budget.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Steal/70012570?trkid=1996865

Dewp
Sep 3, 2009

satisfaction
Buck is an awesome documentary about Buck Brannaman, the man who helped inspire "The Horse Whisperer". The movie is less about horses than it is about this complex man who is amazing at his job. Won some stuff at Sundance, and has a decent-length interview with Robert Redford. I can't think of many audiences that wouldn't enjoy this film - watch it.

Buck

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Case 39 is the heartwarming true story of a social worker and the little girl she saves from an abusive home. Highly recommended, just remember to bring the tissues 'cause this one's a tearjerker.

On that note, netflix recommended the Dark Shadows remake from the 90's. I loved it when I was 11ish. Holy gently caress is it hilarious! And there is this psychopathic little kid that is just supposed to be just a brat, I think. He looked so familiar. Twas Joseph Gordon-Levitt. This was apparently before acting coaches realized that they should teach kids subtlety.

Also, Spock's dad from the latest Star Trek is Barnabas Collins. It is an acting triumph.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Street Thief is out and its a awesome movie. It's a fake documentary (I forget the term for it) that follows around a low level thief. It really builds tension and the main character is put together nicely as a paranoid person. Give it a shot.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

wormil posted:

Steal, starring Stephen Dorff and Natasha Henstridge is a fun Heist movie about a group of daredevils (extreme sports enthusiasts) who pull a series of robberies and are beset by various interests who wish to exploit their talents. Worth seeing for the original opening chase scene along with some excellent vehicle stunts especially considering the fairly low budget.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Steal/70012570?trkid=1996865

Didn't this movie used to be called Point Break?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

casual poster posted:

Street Thief is out and its a awesome movie. It's a fake documentary (I forget the term for it) that follows around a low level thief. It really builds tension and the main character is put together nicely as a paranoid person. Give it a shot.

You mean "mockumentary"?

Speaking of which, This Is Spinal Tap is on instant.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zwabu posted:

Didn't this movie used to be called Point Break?

Yep, there are more differences than similarities but it was budget movie and they did an impressive job with the vehicle stunts and initial chase scene considering.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I haven't seen it mentioned, but recently they added a new section called Musicals with a bunch of older, classics as well as newer ones.
My favorite being Chicago.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Stephen Fry in America: New World is up. 10 minutes in, he's shaking hands with Mitt Romney in 2008. So far so good, I wish Netflix could really build a bigger brit tv show library. It all seems to be mediocre mystery shows. That Mitchell and Webb Look is also up, a great sketch comedy show from the stars of Peep Show.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

particle409 posted:

Stephen Fry in America: New World is up. 10 minutes in, he's shaking hands with Mitt Romney in 2008. So far so good, I wish Netflix could really build a bigger brit tv show library. It all seems to be mediocre mystery shows. That Mitchell and Webb Look is also up, a great sketch comedy show from the stars of Peep Show.

What I'd love to see is the original Helen Mirren "Prime Suspect" shows.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

particle409 posted:

I'd love to see all the Louis Theroux docs put up. I've managed to see some of them online, but I know I've missed a lot and I love his interview style.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

particle409 posted:

Stephen Fry in America: New World is up.

Was just about to watch that through the XBox but it says DVD only. But it's on streaming online. The hell?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Lust, Caution http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Lust_Caution/70059999?trkid=2361637

quote:

Oscar-winning filmmaker Ang Lee (the steady mind behind films such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain) directs this intriguing espionage thriller set in World War II-era Shanghai. Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Joan Chen and Lee-Hom Wang co-star in this foreign-language tale about a young actress (Wei Tang) caught up in a complex plot involving love, assassination and seduction, based on the writings of author Eileen Chang.

Really well paced, intense, and acting by Wei Tang is phenomenal in its nuance.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Narwhale posted:

I'd love to see all the Louis Theroux docs put up. I've managed to see some of them online, but I know I've missed a lot and I love his interview style.

Weird Weekends was really his prime. The newer stuff seems to have a more serious bent that doesn't suit his "oh golly" act as well.

general
Feb 16, 2010
Insidious is up. I like watching scary films, and yet almost none have actually made me feel scared. Insidious legitimately left me with an unsettling feeling throughout the movie. If horror is your genre, take one hour and forty minutes out of your night and watch this film!

There aren't too many cheap scares in Insidious, and it has this great atmosphere. Seriously, watch this.

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
I really liked insidious as well. Granted the second half of the movie is pretty bad, it's worth it for the build up.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I must be the only one that didn't like Insidious. I thought it was really really boring, about a half our longer than it needed to be, and not scary in any way. The demon was more comical than anything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

I must be the only one that didn't like Insidious.

Nope, I found it boring and didn't even finish it. But then I'm not into ghost stories. I know it wasn't technically a ghost.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mds2 posted:

I must be the only one that didn't like Insidious. I thought it was really really boring, about a half our longer than it needed to be, and not scary in any way. The demon was more comical than anything.

It was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

particle409 posted:

Peep Show was just added itself, and it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

• Locked thread