Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future
Yeah, pretty sure one can download the entire thing from the EQ patcher, but they changed it so you have to log in to use it. If you had a legitimate account before, you could re-up for a month to download it. Alternatively, places like walmart often sell versions of EQ that are an expansion or two behind for like $10 which would work just as well. Occasionally EQ has run promotions where old players can come back and play for free for a week or a month or something, which would be another way to get it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
I saw the banner a couple weeks ago and decided to dust off my old disks to give this a whirl. I've been playing a mage and its been a blast. I got up to 55 way quicker than live. All the goons I've seen in game have been pretty cool people and I'd like to join goon squad if possible, my in game name is Jikak.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.
God dammit, who paid for that banner? :argh:
Time to try getting my wife into SoD again.

I've always just installed from my disks (Vanilla, Kunark, Vellious, Luclin) but found that around Luclin, sound effects like moving coins and the level-up ding become very low quality. Is there a way to import the sounds from vanilla into live?

:edit: I have found out that yes, there is. Will write out how when I get home tonight.

Retro-Future Rodent fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 15, 2011

Tash
Oct 7, 2008

Retro-Future Rodent posted:

:edit: I have found out that yes, there is. Will write out how when I get home tonight.

I am kind of curious how you did this.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

As someone who has folders for live and SoD, I imagine it's as simple as copying over files. Been wrong before!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Bovril Delight posted:

I have a 65 gnome necro and a 57 gnome SK that I would be willing to let someone use/have. Necro is stripped, SK has gear but probably well below his level. Let me know.

If nobody has taken you up on this, I will.

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.
Is there a list of all hotkey functions available anywhere? Never having played EQ in any incarnation (or maybe just being exceptionally stupid) I had absolutely no idea how to do anything, or find a menu where I could even figure that out. Also, are hotkeys remappable?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Yes. Hit Alt-O, then click the keyboard tab.

Justinen
Mar 17, 2009
I would like an invite please .... Vah Shir beastlord named Kortayn.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Justinen posted:

I would like an invite please .... Vah Shir beastlord named Kortayn.

MORE CAT PEOPLE IN THE GUILD

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Stanos posted:

MORE CAT PEOPLE IN THE GUILD

Be glad I am not playing and haven't wanted an invite :shobon:

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
GS is actually raiding again. Pretty exciting.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
GS has been actually raiding T7+ content for like months. As a reward this game's horribly managed dev team (its one guy) removed something like an entire tier's worth of content and rendered half the poo poo we farmed in LT useless! Can't wait to grind to Farhags without Thaz gear only to get 1 loot/boss when we finally do get there. It's like everything-you-don't-do-in-an-ageing-mmo, the game.

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

Slaariel is a goon and has lead goonsquad before so I dunno what's up with that. I'm pretty sure he knows how hard this stuff is. Meyers/Rivest used to be on the staff as well, not sure if that's still the case or what. Don't know if either still keep up with the thread, maybe one of them can explain the change.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So this guy just took a fat poo poo all over this game? Glorious.

Seriously what the hell:

code:
1) Thazeran's tower is uh... well it's a lot smaller.

2) A GLOBAL 5% experience bonus has been added to ALL ZONES.

3) Experience in a zone SLOWLY DECAYS the longer you kill in it (down to 0%)!

4) Experience in a zone SLOWLY GROWS the longer you don't kill anything in it (up to 105%)!

5) I, Slaariel, take full responsibility for this patch. 
No other Devs, GMs, or Admins proposed, agreed to, or acquiesced in these changes. 
It is I and I alone.
I've seen some pretty big instances of dev arrogance on private servers, (in por ylem anyone?) but this is pretty high up there.

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

To be fair, I think part of the reason they made slaariel a dev is because no one really wanted to actually work on content - none of the other devs were really doing anything, or at least not in anything resembling a timely fashion. Most of the guys who had worked on the original server moved over to Wiz's other project, dawntide.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Equilibrium posted:

GS has been actually raiding T7+ content for like months. As a reward this game's horribly managed dev team (its one guy) removed something like an entire tier's worth of content and rendered half the poo poo we farmed in LT useless! Can't wait to grind to Farhags without Thaz gear only to get 1 loot/boss when we finally do get there. It's like everything-you-don't-do-in-an-ageing-mmo, the game.

While the removal of Thaz sucked for current Goon Squad it is a move I support. Thaz gave pretty insane loot for a zone that overall wasn't that hard(at least Lower). It also helped us to look at different targets that aren't Thaz and that's pretty cool too. The only real issue with THaz being gone is a theoretical decrease in targets but that hasn't happened so far!

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I like the fact that we are killing stuff in other areas. The extra variety is nice even though we won't be able to get thaz armor :( However there are still plenty of zones out there and plenty of good loot so it hasn't really changed anything.

Also the XP changes don't matter unless you poopsock in a single zone for hours and hours all day long.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of players will actually gain more exp due to the 10% increase than will lose exp from sitting in the same exp zone forever.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I like the XP change because it will get a lot of nerds out of the loving rivers and into places that aren't murdering crocodiles wholesale with one group occasionally at the skeletons.

Maybe next they can finally up the spawn timers in Eldernal. In my lovely gear with a box I can clear the entire courtyard/half the undead and be waiting nearly 10 minutes for spawns!!! loving Athica neck...

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Xeras posted:

While the removal of Thaz sucked for current Goon Squad it is a move I support. Thaz gave pretty insane loot for a zone that overall wasn't that hard(at least Lower). It also helped us to look at different targets that aren't Thaz and that's pretty cool too. The only real issue with THaz being gone is a theoretical decrease in targets but that hasn't happened so far!

How does this change the VAH sword epic quest for paladins and shadow knights who need the steel from the earth wing of thaz?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

KingFisher posted:

How does this change the VAH sword epic quest for paladins and shadow knights who need the steel from the earth wing of thaz?

Like every other quest piece that dropped in Thaz, it'll eventually end up on some other raid mob.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Shar Vahl is a pretty cool zone.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm thinking of reinstalling EQ to try this server out. I played from launch and quit right after LDON. Is there a unified goon squad/guild? Who should I contact for invites?

Are any classes needed in the guild if it exists? What sort of split is there in between classes? Way to many of X or Y?

Is grouping still the main way to level up?

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

While I haven't been playing for a while, from recent posts I can answer your questions:

Goon Squad is the closest thing to a unified goon guild and it seems like they're making a good dent in raid content. There are a lot of goons not in goonsquad who play on the server however who are usually very helpful. Invites I couldn't speak for, i'd just sent someone in the guild a tell and ask for an invite, but you might want to spend some time in the beginner's guild anyway as it's a good way to get groups while you're leveling up.

While there's often a shortage of one class or another, the general rule is to play something you enjoy. When you try to work around what the guild needs, by the time you get to 65 and have the gear/AAs you need, someone who was on hiatus will return and someone else will quit and there will be another mess. I will say from my own experience though that tanks are usually something you want to box rather than main because most guilds really only need one, maybe two tanks for raid content. Obviously more are needed for experience groups but it's hard to get a tank geared up.

Grouping is still the best way to get experience especially since any number of people from 2-6 get the same experience from a kill in a group (solo is full experience, everything else is half basically) so the more people you have the quicker you'll be able to kill things and thus increase your exp rate overall. That said, most people two-box since it's hard to find people in certain level ranges, so sometimes you'll end up in a group of six with only 3 real people.

It's worth noting that while mostly true to the original, some of the game mechanics can be different from live (including certain spells and class abilities) and a lot of the math was reworked to make things more balanced. I didn't have any problem just jumping in but be aware that not everything works the same (for example most zones don't have pathing for fear as I understand it).

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
hmmm, I may *find* a copy of Titanium and roll a Beastlord. I haven't played in so long, but I remember when those guys came out, they looked like alot of fun. Do they have a place end game, or not really?

I mean, I rolled a loving ranger in vanilla EQ so I can suffer through being fairly useless if I must, but I would like to tag along and see all the cool Planes/dungeons I never got to experience after I quit. PoTime sounded so sweet. I did get on a sleepers raid on my ranger though :P

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

I think Beastlords aren't a bad class but their usefulness kind of varies with raid composition. If a raid is caster heavy, their mana-return buff is really useful but obviously you only need one person casting that. In a melee heavy raid on the other hand, they get a buff called savagery which has a long recast delay and relatively short duration (so it can only be kept up on two people) that is really powerful for melee classes. They do alright damage on their own I think. I doubt they'd have trouble finding a group.

As for plane of time and whatnot, it's important to keep in mind that the mythology and zones are set up very differently on SoD. Many of the same zones are reused but put to different purposes. Freeport is full of undead for example, the zones that were east/west commons are plaguelands full of high level mobs, that sort of thing. Many zones also connect in ways you might not expect. Newport (qeynos) connects to Freeport through highpass the way you would remember, but there's no plane of knowledge to connect things like on live. It's a very different place with its own raid progression.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Waroduce posted:

hmmm, I may *find* a copy of Titanium and roll a Beastlord. I haven't played in so long, but I remember when those guys came out, they looked like alot of fun. Do they have a place end game, or not really?

I mean, I rolled a loving ranger in vanilla EQ so I can suffer through being fairly useless if I must, but I would like to tag along and see all the cool Planes/dungeons I never got to experience after I quit. PoTime sounded so sweet. I did get on a sleepers raid on my ranger though :P

As stated, zones are fairly different. Some retain the same flavor but a lot have been fully reworked or redesigned.

The goon guild tends to have a shortage of something or other most of the times, sometimes they need a bard or another wizard or sometimes a healer. I usually boxed a healer with my ranger when I played more often. Play what you like and 9/10 you'll get a raid invite, poo poo we raided with a bunch of rangers for a while.

Grouping shouldn't be hard as a beastlord but I'd still recommend you two-box always. Sometimes you get a bad draw and unless your computer is some ancient piece of poo poo you should be able to run two instances of EQ just fine. Druid is a good option for a beastlord box.

cinn
May 13, 2011
I was going to post a big spergy nerd-rant in response to all of your slaariel stupid dev team retard dribble but it was dumb so really all I want to say is that the dev team currently working on Shards of Dalaya is the best it's ever been.

Anyone with a brain who has played on the server for a while knows Thaz Tower was garbage and stupid and never actually balanced correctly after the 36 man to 18 man raid change. It needed to be deleted and slaariel deleted it. Hooray. Finally.

It is not An Entire Tier of Content being deleted it is one zone that was a free loot pinata and there are plenty of mobs and zones that you can do to progress completely fine through the game.

You are all being a bunch of dramatic babies.

Also this Equilibrium dude gets mocked and laughed out of goonsquad irc almost everytime he opens his mouth because he is Very Dumb And Wrong A Lot.

SoD is a great server def check it out if you were ever curious about EQ or just want to play a fun game with fun people.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Stanos posted:

:words:

Hey why do you post more than you play Masu come back!

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

cinn posted:

I was going to post a big spergy nerd-rant in response to all of your slaariel stupid dev team retard dribble but it was dumb so really all I want to say is that the dev team currently working on Shards of Dalaya is the best it's ever been.

The SoD dev team consists of like three people at this point, one Legitimately Good Content Producer, a horrible prima donna (Zaela), and slaariel. And there's I guess Woldaff who cares enough to bump this thread every now and then but not enough to finish any of the poo poo he starts. The one good dev, Marza, is too busy making cool raid encounters for people with at least half a brain and characters with a year /played, which leaves The Rest of Us with What Came Before and the only good parts of ikisith, citadel and remnants (these are the Marza zones). And that would be fine except,,,

The good ikisith zones (and just about every other zone) along with the drops in them were nerfed sometime back by goon darling slaariel as part of some dumb plan to get people into abominations like Nadox, a Zaela creation, rather than following the example set by oh, Every MMO Ever Made, in updating old world content with loot that isn't the functional equivalent of pre-BC +spirit leather. Nadox, by the way, is a zone that has since been deleted because said hysterical girl dev cannot handle criticism of any kind, leading to public IRC spats with Marza and more dumb threats to shutdown another of her bad zones, Field of Bone, because I guess she couldn't figure out why nobody ever kills the raid mobs in a zone that drop weirdly bad tier2 loots requiring tier4+ tanks and healers. The one mob people do bother at least 6-manning drops an overpowered lich clickie that is completely out of tune with every other drop in the zone. Really, these tantrums are nothing new.

I'm not even sure what slaariel does anymore aside from defend bad Zaela poo poo at every turn and turn out half assed ikisith content like the prophets raid mobs or the unfinished nightmare that is Tears of Elael, or occasionally take a dump on content people farmed for years but now conveniently no longer need. The Real Problem is that the sod dev team and its hanger-ons consist of a bunch of loser ex-goons who burned out years ago when poo poo like Plane of Fire was still interesting, or are somehow still playing and T14 with 30 tomes and none of this impacts them in anyway to begin with, and so are of course out of touch with what it's like to play at mid tier and half dead on a server with a 400 player population split between your regular dudes-with-a-bad-case-of-altitis, 55 twinks, however many guilds are still alive, and pubs with access to any number of FWF/CW/Exodus ringers who constantly snipe targets with the best loot:difficulty ratio.

The only reason Goon Squad is even where it's at today is because we could box some dead way-over-tiered goons while we put up consistently undermanned raid forces, even where every single person capable was 2boxing, because turnover in this game is enormous and for every goon that makes it to 65 there's three that make it to 65, hit 50 AAs, and disappear. cinn, the fakest goon, will pull some hardass poo poo about what it's like to lead a guild when you're at the bleeding edge of content like that's relevant and I haven't been there to know how much easier things are when you're at the top, but he's just another dude who quit and Doesn't Get It, as if LT Air is just some kind of joke loot pinata when 1/4 of your 16man raid is sitting at 2k hp because they just hit 65 last week.

SoD is a pretty good game in spite of everything, but not at all something I'd go into expecting anything like even half-way modern MMO sensibilities. Raw XP is "faster" than old live, that's true, and you can hit 65 pretty fast, but the time it takes to make your character relevant to the existing raid game isn't even close. This is the hard sell nobody will bother telling you about.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Xeras posted:

Hey why do you post more than you play Masu come back!

I am playing League and catching up on my steam games, plus my job doesn't let me stay up until 8am playing games anymore. :x

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Equilibrium posted:

Words

If there was any thing I could ever say about SoD, or how I feel about what the game has become, is this. You hit the nail dead on.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Wow, lots of words here. I can't speak directly to the dev stuff, though I know you're wrong about some of the specifics. Maybe lurkers with more direct knowledge will talk about that. For sure I elided the obvious ad homs.

Equilibrium posted:

The only reason Goon Squad is even where it's at today is because we could box some dead way-over-tiered goons while we put up consistently undermanned raid forces, even where every single person capable was 2boxing, because turnover in this game is enormous and for every goon that makes it to 65 there's three that make it to 65, hit 50 AAs, and disappear.

You talk about "we", but of course you're no longer part of "we" for reasons unrelated to your post. Goon Squad is doing quite well, thank you, with surprisingly few 2-boxes, and it seems like GS has found a balance between new players and returning players. A mix of 2.0 and 3.0, as it were.

Even more to the point, people have different reasons for raiding, and even playing MMOs in general. Some do have your opinion that it's all about ramming as much quality loot as possible out of the game as quickly as possible in the most efficient, unfun way possible. That process does generate turnover as you've described as people consider the game more work than play.

There are others that take a more casual approach, and try to do different things, even if they're not the most efficient or optimal, because it's fun. One of the strengths of SoD is its wide range of possible content, and I think your post reinforces that. The content that you think sucks is content other people eat up readily. I'm sure the opposite is also true. It's a good sign, I think, that there's stuff out there for everyone.

quote:

SoD is a pretty good game in spite of everything, but not at all something I'd go into expecting anything like even half-way modern MMO sensibilities. Raw XP is "faster" than old live, that's true, and you can hit 65 pretty fast, but the time it takes to make your character relevant to the existing raid game isn't even close. This is the hard sell nobody will bother telling you about.

This quote is mostly true, but it's true of any MMO ever once it's several years into its existence. Getting to max level in an MMO is often the beginning of the game, not the end, especially if bleeding-edge raiding is your goal. MMOs by nature are designed to be time sinks for retention purposes, and any MMO that puts you at that bleeding edge as soon as you hit max level fails to answer "okay, what do I do now"?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I don't even know who you are, beyond some new guy we got a T8 fist weapon for your not even level 65 beastlord in LT water, so I'm going to go ahead and forgive your outspoken ignorance on the issue. You weren't there to grind max AAs in poo poo gear while GS was stuck at dumpster tier, go weeks without raiding and watch people evaporate because the extent of non-raid progression consists of grinding cmal till your eyes bleed and deity augs. Oh and I hope there's a tank online.

Except literally everyone in this game will tell you not to roll a tank, don't even bother. Why? A new 65 tank gets to: sink all your money into nerfed droppables, even though you're the most charm dependent class in the game and it's not even close, grind max AAs yesterday lest they be deemed nathasar-tier, lose invites to pugs over rangers with 7 AAs because ~lol ringers~ invalidate your existence, and still not get taken seriously until you get dragged along to content way over-tier for your abilities to contribute and hope a bard doesn't take your poo poo. Don't roll a tank, unless you're crazy and unemployed or a girl. Also don't roll a box you care about because you'll be boxing some zombie tank or cleric till the end of days instead.

The rest of your post is pretty much without content but didn't you play wow? You cannot possibly say, "This quote is mostly true, but it's true of any MMO ever once it's several years into its existence." with a straight face.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Equilibrium posted:

You weren't there to grind max AAs in poo poo gear while GS was stuck at dumpster tier, go weeks without raiding and watch people evaporate because the extent of non-raid progression consists of grinding cmal till your eyes bleed and deity augs.

I'm sorry things sucked when you started. Things don't suck now, and our raid force composition is nothing like the wasteland you describe.

quote:

Don't roll a tank, unless you're crazy and unemployed or a girl. Also don't roll a box you care about because you'll be boxing some zombie tank or cleric till the end of days instead.

Such misappropriated anger. No wonder you burned out.

quote:

The rest of your post is pretty much without content but didn't you play wow? You cannot possibly say, "This quote is mostly true, but it's true of any MMO ever once it's several years into its existence." with a straight face.

Yeah I did. The plan in WoW vanilla was getting to max level, then doing MC over and over until you learned how to raid. Only then did you progress to the raid tiers above that. It changed slightly with TBC and the creation of heroic instances, but the same principle applied. For progression raiding, there were intermediate steps to take between hitting max level and raiding difficult things.

No one seriously jumped from dinging 60 to raiding Naxx in vanilla or 65 to Black Temple in TBC. No one should expect to do that in any MMO.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Listen you are Missing The Point. That you latched on to a now successful T8 guild with another trash dps character with no responsibilities does nothing but embarrass everyone involved. That guild is only where it is because we could abuse ringers to overcome structural issues at the game's core, issues that are Still There and in fact worse than ever citing xp and loot nerfs. These are problems that are going to gently caress you when you realize you can't ringer your way through everything, because somehow people who have been playing for months still don't have all their resist AAs and no codex complete, even when they have some of the best gear in the game. It's because xping sucks and someone has to load four different buffbots while not boxing themselves, or if they are boxing it takes twice as long to buff and get anywhere, oh and someone has to box the tank. Oh god it's been 30minutes and we're still sitting here what's going on. These are problems that speak to the long-term health of the server, not just how well GS happens to be doing in the short run.

Speaking of Missing The Point, wow is a game that hits the soft reset button every couple of years, making all your raid loot worthless next to ilvl+10 greens of the eagle. You just said this in your very post without noticing somehow. And this kind of inflation is a Good Thing because it doesn't alienate the gently caress out of the startling numbers of new players who don't see the end game as an ever widening, insurmountable gap. No really, every ancient mmo that is still making money does this in some fashion!!

You can have a character with 365 days /played in wow (I did my shame is endless) and seriously none of it matters come xpac5 save whatever cosmetic poo poo you've earned. This is not true at all in SoD, where instead of having to run through MC, the player population is so stratified that nobody actually raids MC anymore except pubs to snipe geddon, TOEP claimed for my alt, binding claimed for my guildie's awful vah quest. Also ZG and AQ20 don't exist, or they only exist to serve Naxx-geared characters sidegrades they bitch about anyways. And to raid Naxx you need to spend a half year /played outside of raids for who the gently caress knows why to grind enough AAs, tomes, and a charm to pass basic dps and resist checks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Holy hell can you two shut the gently caress up

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I dunno I find as a fairly new player it wasn't hard getting caught up and I'm not even poopsocking or anything. And really there is tons of content for all levels. New players don't need ringers to run the tons of old world level 65 dungeons and various lower end ikisith content.

Running dungeons and going from 1-65 and then getting your AAs and tomes is part of the game. And really it isn't that hard to get caught up to older players. My character is getting fairly decent and I don't even really play that much.

Plus there is plenty of content which you can do even if you aren't raiding. I practically lived in cmal getting gear in between guild and pug raids. Not to mention you can do treasure maps and get decent gear to prepare yourself for raids as well.

I do agree about the turnover issue though but what can you really do? It can take some time to replace people who quit but what do you expect from a guild that doesn't really recruit non goons. The thing is that you shouldn't be going from being a fresh 65 to having a ton of AAs and tomes with good gear super quickly. I think that because a lot of the server is tomed out and has insane gear means that people end up thinking that you cant compete or have fun with crap gear. Part of the fun of playing a PVE based MMO is the sense of progression and character development. There really is content for every skill level and character level. Plus I think a lot of people forget about the massive amount of low tier content out there to raid.

Really if you dual box and get to 65, there is plenty of content to do. You won't feel disadvantaged because you don't have insane gear, 500 AAs, buffbots, etc. Sure they help :P but you don't need them to actually play. Tons of players do fine without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
But really, why WOULDN'T I solo without all the buff bot poo poo? Druid buff + Jayla's + Haste, let's go.

• Locked thread