Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

leokitty posted:

e: If you're not familiar with Raley Field it seats about 11,000 so the idea of Bud Selig ever approving that the A's play there even while waiting for a new park is hilarious

This seems about right for the A's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Because everyone seems to hate Bill Simmons, here's an Onion article about him: http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/bill-simmons-somehow-still-writing-about-2010-nba,26489/

The Onion posted:

Bill Simmons Somehow Still Writing About 2010 NBA Season

LOS ANGELES—With the NBA lockout having already resulted in the cancellation of many games this fall, ESPN.com and Grantland columnist Bill Simmons is somehow managing to churn out upwards of 3,000 words per week on the NBA by continuing to write about the long-completed 2010 season. "Nov. 22 of last year, Thunder vs. Timberwolves, what many may have excused as an early season flirtation between two young squads, but this was more than that: It was yet another example of why Kevin Durant is trade-your-entire-team-to-get-this-guy good," Simmons wrote Tuesday in a post titled "The Greatest Season Ever? (Part Nine)." "I said it last season, I said it in the playoffs, I said it in the offseason, I said it in the NFL preseason, and I'm saying it now: Durant is as smooth and calculating as Omar from The Wire, and I watch recordings of him just as often." Over the past three weeks, Simmons has mentioned last year's NBA season on more than 800 occasions, including 287 times in his account of attending a Los Angeles Kings hockey game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deadspin got the ESPN itch again:

http://deadspin.com/5855807/why-an-espn-vp-filed-a-pre+emptive-lawsuit-denying-he-masturbated-in-front-of-erin-andrews

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Here is some dumb stuff in an article about the Baltimore Orioles:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-cowherd-orioles-1103-20111102,0,4451787.column

quote:

If you're scoring at home, you know the Orioles are 0-for-2 with their GM prospects.

One, Jerry Dipoto, took the GM job with the Los Angeles Angels when the Orioles apparently dithered too long and didn't pull the trigger. The other, Toronto Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava, turned them down Tuesday.

And get this: LaCava said he couldn't take the job because he loves the Blue Jays too much.

OK, let me ask you something. In the entire history of the world, have you ever heard anyone say: "I can't take the job because I love the Blue Jays too much?"

No, that sentence had not been uttered since the dawn of man. But that's essentially what LaCava, a 50-year-old baseball lifer, told the Orioles.

He talked about the Blue Jays like they were the New York Yankees. Made Toronto sound like it was Paris. I saw his quotes in the paper Wednesday and thought: "Are we talking about the same Blue Jays here?"

I guess we can't all be cosmopolitan paradises like Baltimore.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I know Deadspin is eternally the penis website around here for some reason but Craggs wrote a loving awesome thing about Tebow http://deadspin.com/5856237/

Which included a thorough drubbing of this piece of poo poo column: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-why-the-heck-do-we-hate-him-110211

quote:

(Do we even need to talk about this person, who seems to have filed her column from either the far side of Pluto or Sean Hannity's green room? Lord is she working the aggrieved-honky angle hard. "You cannot mock Muslim faith, not in this country, not anywhere really"? What the gently caress country do you live in, lady? I don't remember anyone except the ACLU protecting Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf from the "slightest blush of insensitivity." It wasn't so long ago that a prominent evangelical could call the Prophet Muhammad ''a demon-obsessed pedophile" and still be reckoned harmless enough for his most famous parishioner to sign Bibles at his retirement. The parishioner was Tim Tebow, by the way. As to the writer's thought experiment, "What if Tim Tebow were Muslim?": I'll just point out that a country that's ready for a Muslim Tim Tebow is a country in which Islam isn't so exotic that idiot columnists write fatheaded crap like "... and thus bowed toward Mecca to celebrate touchdowns," which is a little like saying a Catholic would celebrate touchdowns with High Mass in the end zone. That country could handle the mocking of a Muslim Tim Tebow just fine. This is not that country.)

edit: by the way the lady that wrote that piece of crap is Jen Engel, who I think has been documented in this thread more than a few times

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 4, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

stuart scott irl posted:

edit: by the way the lady that wrote that piece of crap is Jen Engel, who I think has been documented in this thread more than a few times

quote:

And love her or hate her, she’ll be just another one of the boys.

Cool misogyny in your byline, Ms. Engel.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Mornacale posted:

Cool misogyny in your byline, Ms. Engel.

I'm more baffled by that verb tense on to be

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

stuart scott irl posted:

I know Deadspin is eternally the penis website around here for some reason but Craggs wrote a loving awesome thing about Tebow http://deadspin.com/5856237/

Which included a thorough drubbing of this piece of poo poo column: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-why-the-heck-do-we-hate-him-110211
The Word:Ownage ratio in that column is loving phenomenal.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this from obese shitsack Scott Raab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXQaXwF3cQ

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Why does that dude hate LeBron so much anyway?

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Does anyone know what relationship Frangraphs has with ESPN (is it just a content-sharing deal?) and do you know when it began? It's a point I'm trying to make in an essay for class but can't find any press releases announcing the deal.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Does anyone know what relationship Frangraphs has with ESPN (is it just a content-sharing deal?) and do you know when it began? It's a point I'm trying to make in an essay for class but can't find any press releases announcing the deal.

http://www.ussmariner.com/2010/03/01/fangraphs-on-espn/

Not a ton of info on their relationship, but maybe it'll help.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Why does that dude hate LeBron so much anyway?

He's from Cleveland and took the whole Decision thing as a personal affront for some dumb reason. I die a little bit inside every single time Posnanski says something positive about him and his lovely writing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MorningView posted:

He's from Cleveland and took the whole Decision thing as a personal affront for some dumb reason. I die a little bit inside every single time Posnanski says something positive about him and his lovely writing.

I would never actually pay for the book, but I'm assuming it comes in a plastic bag drenched with spittle. How dare you exercise your free agent rights :argh:

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 8, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
"Whore" is a pretty sweet insult btw

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This is probably getting linked everywhere, but if you're a fan of sports writing and haven't read Mark Kram's Thrilla in Manila piece, do yourself a favor and check it out.

quote:

Came the sixth, and here it was, that one special moment that you always look for when Joe Frazier is in a fight. Most of his fights have shown this: You can go so far into that desolate and dark place where the heart of Frazier pounds, you can waste his perimeters, you can see his head hanging in the public square, maybe even believe that you have him, but then suddenly you learn that you have not. Once more the pattern emerged as Frazier loosed all of the fury, all that has made him a brilliant heavyweight. He was in close now, fighting off Ali's chest, the place where he has to be. His old calling card—that sudden evil, his left hook—was working the head of Ali. Two hooks ripped with slaughterhouse finality at Ali's jaw, causing Imelda Marcos to look down at her feet, and the president to wince as if a knife had been stuck in his back. Ali's legs seemed to search for the floor. He was in serious trouble, and he knew that he was in no-man's-land.

Whatever else might one day be said about Muhammad Ali, it should never be said that he is without courage, that he cannot take a punch. He took those shots by Frazier and then came out for the seventh, saying to him, "Old Joe Frazier, why I thought you were washed up." Joe replied, "Somebody told you all wrong, pretty boy."

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

trem_two posted:

http://www.ussmariner.com/2010/03/01/fangraphs-on-espn/

Not a ton of info on their relationship, but maybe it'll help.

Thanks. I guess "early 2010" works for textual reference.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If anyone was interested, The Classical (Bethlehem Shoals, Eric Nusbaum, Eric Freeman, Lang Whitaker, Tom Scharpling, David Roth, etc.) has done a soft launch and is running a few articles a day. Some good stuff.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I posted this in the Sandusky thread (which is quickly turning into a red giant of posting) but Bill Plaschke's take on the Joe Paterno/Penn State/Jerry Sandusky scandal should stand as definitive. Great piece.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I posted this in the Sandusky thread (which is quickly turning into a red giant of posting) but Bill Plaschke's take on the Joe Paterno/Penn State/Jerry Sandusky scandal should stand as definitive. Great piece.

That is a pretty standard crappy Plaschke piece, with a big ol' layer of outrage slathered on top of it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
What loving world do we live in that Cowherd, Plaschke, and Whitlock are voices of reason and Joe Posnanski is a drooling moron on this subject?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

What loving world do we live in that Cowherd, Plaschke, and Whitlock are voices of reason and Joe Posnanski is a drooling moron on this subject?

for once, bloviating outrage and hyperbole is actually the correct response.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I thought all Posnanski had said to date was "this is terrible and I'm not going to write about it until we know more and I've had time to let my emotions settle" which doesn't seem that stupid to me.

vvv Welp

ZerodotJander fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 10, 2011

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

ZerodotJander posted:

I thought all Posnanski had said to date was "this is terrible and I'm not going to write about it until we know more and I've had time to let my emotions settle" which doesn't seem that stupid to me.

http://deadspin.com/5858278/

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

quote:

"A lot of people came here to bury Joe. As a writer, I'm mad with that, as someone who's come to know the Paternos, I'm heartbroken."

I empathize with that sentiment. There are a lot of media sharks almost gleefully waiting to completely break Paterno. If you're a journalist don't write what you want, write the facts. If that is something that does what you wanted in the first place, so be it. It's the weird place of thinking the last 10 years doesn't completely tarnish the 35 before that, and that while he didn't do enough he didn't do nothing.

And also the weird air of reporting where people are more focused on Paterno than on Sandusky. It may shock some people to learn that Joe Paterno is not, in fact, a child molester.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Yeah, a lot of people are calling the riots "pro-child-rape" which is pretty hilarious honestly

They're still retarded and shameful tho

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Badfinger posted:

I empathize with that sentiment. There are a lot of media sharks almost gleefully waiting to completely break Paterno. If you're a journalist don't write what you want, write the facts. If that is something that does what you wanted in the first place, so be it. It's the weird place of thinking the last 10 years doesn't completely tarnish the 35 before that, and that while he didn't do enough he didn't do nothing.

And also the weird air of reporting where people are more focused on Paterno than on Sandusky. It may shock some people to learn that Joe Paterno is not, in fact, a child molester.

Unless the twitter dude grossly misquoted him, his Katrina line was reprehensible and moronic and enough by itself to show that he's doing himself no favors talking about this in public until he gets a handle on himself

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Badfinger posted:

This has been repeated a lot by both media and non-media: Sandusky is going to get his day in court, he's going to be punished, and unfortunately he'll probably be raped and murdered in jail. Sandusky is doomed. There's no point in repeating what we all know about Sandusky.

Paterno on the other hand has been extremely narcissistic throughout this entire process, which has rubbed off on thousands of PSU students and alumni who think he's done nothing wrong. He will probably just pay off some lawsuits after covering this whole thing up for years and be revered as a martyr for the rest of his miserable life.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Sandusky is an obviously troubled and sick man who is going to go to jail. Paterno is supposed to be a decent human being who instead looked the other way while his friend raped little boys for years.

Gee I wonder why he is taking so much heat

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Crion posted:

Unless the twitter dude grossly misquoted him, his Katrina line was reprehensible and moronic and enough by itself to show that he's doing himself no favors talking about this in public until he gets a handle on himself

I did not actually see the Katrina line before I commented on the last quote. Yeah, that's pretty awful.

e: ok this is going to ruin the dumb journalism thread. Recusing myself to the Sandusky thread.

Yeah, no one is unbiased about Joe Pos here (your bias should be he generally owns, btw), and Joe obviously has personal feelings about the whole thing through his contact with Paterno and his family. While I think he could be defending something that shouldn't be defended, I also don't think the act of immediately jumping to defend someone you personally know and like is the wrong RESPONSE. It's a pretty natural and human thing to do.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 10, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I've hated Posnanski for a while so it's nice to see everyone else figuring out how much of a dummy he is

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Badfinger posted:

Guilt through inaction is still guilt, hth. He himself is not a child molester but he kept around a dude who was, and usually when someone has multiple accusations of molestation levied at him it's a smart idea to distance yourself from him. Penn State as a whole isn't really smelling like roses after this, but Paterno needs to realize that what he did was awful, but inexcusable in every sense of the word.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well you hated him because of one admittedly air-headed article about Ron Gardenhire, I think this is a wildly different situation

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Nut Bunnies posted:

Well you hated him because of one admittedly air-headed article about Ron Gardenhire, I think this is a wildly different situation

He also whines a lot and says dumb things about football!

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
e: irrelevant

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Another Nodoze Wrong Opinion

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
It's important to note that Joe Pos has been writing a book about Joe Pa so he's probably not unbiased in this whole thing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nodoze posted:

He also whines a lot and says dumb things about football!

Literally wrong about everything

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Deadspin is right: JoePos' book on JoePa took a twist in a direction that came utterly out of left field for him. If he continues on with the book and produces what could be the best writing of his career, JoePos will come out of this looking better. His statements on the matter, however, are...troubling.

I liked Plaschke's piece because, boiled down to one line, it's not specifically about what's happening in State College. His thesis: If you don't think this sort of incident could be replicated at any other major college football program in the country, you are as naive as the Penn State administrators.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

MorningView posted:

Literally wrong about everything

He whines a lot about the Yankees and Royals (being awful) and says stupid stuff about the Chiefs all the time on twitter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nodoze posted:

He whines a lot about the Yankees and Royals (being awful) and says stupid stuff about the Chiefs all the time on twitter!

He makes fun of the Chiefs and Royals for being bad which they usually are. Why is that wrong?