Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I’m no fan of Leicester City, but I am a Sven fan. Sven has always done well at big clubs. Which is why he may be good for Leeds, and also why he failed at Leicester, Notts County, Mexico and Ivory Coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SteadfastMeat posted:

I’m no fan of Leicester City, but I am a Sven fan. Sven has always done well at big clubs. Which is why he may be good for Leeds, and also why he failed at Leicester, Notts County, Mexico and Ivory Coast

How is Bates at giving someone more than 10 games to get a practically brand new team playing well together?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Chuggo posted:

There's only one conclusion that needs to be drawn from yesterday - £500m will guarantee any club success in football. It's just a shame it has taken the footballing authorities so long to recognise this as cheating.

It amazes me that the media (including yourselves) are so pleased about Man City's predictable success. If a 100m sprinter won gold and was later found to have been using performance enhancing drugs, would you admire him for how fast he ran? Man City are cheats, they're just benefitting from the fact that rules haven't been in place to punish their particular form of cheating until now.

I hope this was a United fan I love delicious irony.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm an anti-racist, genocide is my intention

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

SteadfastMeat posted:

do people actually think sven failed at notts county because wow just wow

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Popehoist posted:

do people actually think sven failed at notts county because wow just wow

Wasn't Notts Co a product of promised money never materialising?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
essentially. sven walked in and instantly realised how hosed the entire place was long before the board realised the mess they'd got themselves into. thank gently caress all the guilty parties are long gone now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Notts County was the owner being some shady motherfucker with international mafia connections promising £2 million and paying Sven in stock if I remember right?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
More teams seem to be willing to give it a go this season making for more entertaining matches. I reckon Man Utd for one will tighten up from now on though.

The team with the most solid defence will win the league and thats why I don't think it will be Man city.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
/edit: totally forgot what thread I was in

peanut- fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 31, 2011

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

vyelkin posted:

The team with the most solid defence will win the league and thats why I don't think it will be Man city.

I too believe that Newcastle United are going to take the Premier League crown this season.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sebzilla posted:

I too believe that Newcastle United are going to take the Premier League crown this season.

I'm scared. Newcastle being good at defending isn't something I'm used to.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Here, have a Canadian university student newspaper article about Inter Milan:

From the Top to the Bottom Half: What Happened to Inter Milan?

For the past several seasons they have been one of the top teams in Serie A, but this season they are currently ranked in the bottom quarter. Does Inter Milan have a chance at snatching the top spot this year?

According to FoxSoccer.com, Coach Claudio Ranieri said after the loss to Catania, “We have to remain united and continue to work hard.”

Ranieri is correct about Inter having to work. Working as a team, and strengthening a sense of unity among the players can help give the Inter players the new confidence that they need.

However, there is no easy answer to explain Inter Milan’s difficulty this season. On October 17th, according to the Inter Milan Fan Club website, President Massimo Moratti remarked: “It’s a funny moment. It’s worrying when you find yourselves in situations like this because no one likes to look bad. And you hope to figure out how to put it all right. We simply must dig ourselves out of this.”

Some of the struggles may have been due to the absence of several key players for the past few games. However, many of these players will be returning shortly, or have already returned. For instance, goalie Julio Cesar will be returning, as well as defender Christian Chivu, and mid-fielders Joel Obi and Wesley Sneijder. With these players back Inter can hopefully, as their coach expressed, remain united.

However, Inter’s difficulties go past not having the right attitude or not having all of their players. Effort is lacking as well. The team needs results: more goals in the opposing net, rather than in their own. In order to rise up Inter has to work on its defence. In fact, the team has one of the worst defensive records in Serie A.

All of the Inter Milan players need to approach each game with a fresh attitude, stick together as a team, and most importantly, remain focused on playing the game.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

vyelkin posted:

Here, have a Canadian university student newspaper article about Inter Milan:

From the Top to the Bottom Half: What Happened to Inter Milan?

For the past several seasons they have been one of the top teams in Serie A, but this season they are currently ranked in the bottom quarter. Does Inter Milan have a chance at snatching the top spot this year?

According to FoxSoccer.com, Coach Claudio Ranieri said after the loss to Catania, “We have to remain united and continue to work hard.”

Ranieri is correct about Inter having to work. Working as a team, and strengthening a sense of unity among the players can help give the Inter players the new confidence that they need.

However, there is no easy answer to explain Inter Milan’s difficulty this season. On October 17th, according to the Inter Milan Fan Club website, President Massimo Moratti remarked: “It’s a funny moment. It’s worrying when you find yourselves in situations like this because no one likes to look bad. And you hope to figure out how to put it all right. We simply must dig ourselves out of this.”

Some of the struggles may have been due to the absence of several key players for the past few games. However, many of these players will be returning shortly, or have already returned. For instance, goalie Julio Cesar will be returning, as well as defender Christian Chivu, and mid-fielders Joel Obi and Wesley Sneijder. With these players back Inter can hopefully, as their coach expressed, remain united.

However, Inter’s difficulties go past not having the right attitude or not having all of their players. Effort is lacking as well. The team needs results: more goals in the opposing net, rather than in their own. In order to rise up Inter has to work on its defence. In fact, the team has one of the worst defensive records in Serie A.

All of the Inter Milan players need to approach each game with a fresh attitude, stick together as a team, and most importantly, remain focused on playing the game.

What a random article for a university newspaper. Are you sure this isn't some botched edit of a wire services piece?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
For the past several seasons they have been one of the top teams in Serie A

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TyChan posted:

What a random article for a university newspaper. Are you sure this isn't some botched edit of a wire services piece?

Oh I'm sure. I just edited out the author's name.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24614561

quote:

Me and a couple of my lads are coming down to Houston on thursday, if anyone knows of a firm in houston, can you provide me with contact info inorder for me to arrange a tear-up?

e: Saw it in IRC first, didn't see it already in the MLS thread. Still belongs here though :v:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Asked to pick tonight's team on a donny forum and some card comes up with this

quote:

Sully
Chimbonda
Friend
Martis

Copps
Gilly
Stock
Copps

Hayter
Diouf

He hasn't got anyone in net as the keeper appears to be playing right back and has only picked 9 players as he has one player playing on both wings.

Doesn't really fit into the theme of this thread but it's making me chuckle well heartily.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
James Coppinger: so good he can play both wings at once

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe they've just accepted Diouf's inevitable cunty red card and have worked out some system where they start with 10 players but he gets sent off they keep him on the pitch.

Mr. Big Snacks
Jul 26, 2006
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/music/news/story?id=7158053

The comments section has a few gems I'm sure, but all of this is terrible.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Mr. Big Snacks posted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/music/news/story?id=7158053

The comments section has a few gems I'm sure, but all of this is terrible.

I would unironically love to watch this team play any conference side.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Strawman posted:

I would unironically love to watch this team play any conference side.

do american spots not really care about positioning or something because i dont understand why sports writers keep doing this without realising that they just dont know how to play football

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well you see you stick players into the standard football manager 4-4-2 and if they all move no more than 10 yards from their starting position it'll function perfectly

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Spangly A posted:

do american spots not really care about positioning or something because i dont understand why sports writers keep doing this without realising that they just dont know how to play football

We are the best at everything you idiot we just don't care about soccer because it's for girls and children lol

Pretend I quoted that from somewhere.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

greazeball posted:

We are the best at everything you idiot we just don't care about soccer because it's for girls and children lol

Pretend I quoted that from somewhere.

Yahoo Answers posted:

well chuck that is the thing, real men do not watch or play soccer.

When i was in college soccer was the game the queers played, while the real tough sportsmen booted up and played football and joined the wrestling team.

We would laugh at the soccer guys then and jeer at them from the stands shouting " queers, queers " we found it so amusing how they were so intrigued and into a game with zero skill and 100 % homosexual appeal, yet some of these guys claimed they were straight. when they celebrated they would jump on each other, groping and even kissing sometimes, you can see this in the pro game too. What straight man does that ?

The game itself is starting to take off here in certain states of america unfortunetly, and its a shame to see many young people decided to go onto the soccer field instead of getting down and dirty on the football field. Sad day for america if soccer ever becomes more popular than the great game of football. We wont have any soldiers going to battle then, only queers on the soccer field.

NFL football a national pride.

Why play a queer sport like soccer when you can be a real man, get dressed in a skintight unitard and grapple with other men.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Byolante posted:

Why play a queer sport like soccer when you can be a real man, get dressed in a skintight unitard and grapple with other men.

Don't NFL players grope each other's arses after a touchdown?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ninpo posted:

Don't NFL players grope each other's arses after a touchdown?

They probably do but the real low hanging fruit in that quote was definitely greco-roman wrestling.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Spangly A posted:

Those guys aren't sports writers, they're musicians, and their band Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. not only has an amazing name, they loving own.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
this is what i think will happen the joe cole will move to lille permenent aquliina will return carrol return to newcatle on loan flanagen to blackpool on loan bellamy to reaserves and stays their a hope skirtel to west brom jones to west ham for free hart to liverpool 15 million henderson to sunderland on loan will a permentent deal if he wants to stay their adam johnson on loan ashley cole 13 million here

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Chuggo posted:

this is what i think will happen the joe cole will move to lille permenent aquliina will return carrol return to newcatle on loan flanagen to blackpool on loan bellamy to reaserves and stays their a hope skirtel to west brom jones to west ham for free hart to liverpool 15 million henderson to sunderland on loan will a permentent deal if he wants to stay their adam johnson on loan ashley cole 13 million here

Please do not copy posts from TRP into this thread, thanks

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Chuggo posted:

the joe cole

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chuggo posted:

Aquliina and The Joe Cole are truly the missing links in our midfield.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

RedTillI'mDead posted:

What do you think of this:

--------------Amos--------------
Jones---Smalling---Ferdinand----Fryers
-------------Tunniclife----------------
-------Morrison-------Young-------
--------------Cleverley-------------
---------Rooney-------Welbeck

Subs:
Johnstone
Brown R
Carrick
Cole
Keane W
Owen

Blend of youth and experience! Obviously Carrick would get in ahead of Tunniclife at the moment, but otherwise it's a pretty good future for England and United.

Only Amos might not be expected to make first team. Fryers looks good for the future. Tunniclife shows promise. Players like Morrison will be future shoe-in if he lives up to expectations!

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

RedTillI'mDead posted:

----------De Gea----------
-----------Vidic --------------
-----------Jones-------------
Nani------Cleverley-----Young
-----Rooney-------Welbeck
Hernandez--Berbatov--Owen---

How about this?! The 1-1-3-2-3
Basically Vidic is the defence, and if he has an off day he has Jones to help out!

Nani and Young can cover all the wings and wing back. Then there are 5 strikers to cause havoc! Cleverley can pick out a range of options!!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
would unironically love to see a modern team line up with 6 forwards and a single defender like it was 1930

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

quote:

Came here just to post this goal. Got chills and teared up a bit watching it again almost 2 years later.
For context, in case someone on r/soccer has started watching since 2010: USA needed a win against Algeria to win the group. If they got a draw, they not only would not win the group, they would fall to 3rd in the group and their 2010 World Cup would end. Algeria was already eliminated from the next round and was content to play defensive football and not even attempt to win the game. They were playing lockdown for a draw. USA could have already clinched a spot in the next round except they had had a goal disallowed against Slovenia in the previous match, which gave them 1 point where they clearly earned 3. By the time this game went to '90, USA fans were so desperate and on edge that for many, the goal itself unleashed a fury of emotions that had building in all Americans for the last 270 minutes of World Cup football.
Most USA fans remember where they were and who they were with when Landon Donovan scored this goal. It was the single biggest event that led to my undying soccer fandom.

yea me too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Time to change the icon We Forgot

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

SteadfastMeat posted:

would unironically love to see a modern team line up with 6 forwards and a single defender like it was 1930

I think we should switch back to the classic 2-3-5 system but then I am a traditionalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

SteadfastMeat posted:

arsenals done it for years mate

it doesnt work