Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Friendcaster doesen't do 'proper' push notifications though (im guessing because facebook hasn't made that an open API or something) instead it half-asses it by checking your emails to see if facebook sent you one. I don't have emails from facebook because otherwise they would clog up my inbox.

C2DM seems to push fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Friendcaster doesen't do 'proper' push notifications though (im guessing because facebook hasn't made that an open API or something) instead it half-asses it by checking your emails to see if facebook sent you one. I don't have emails from facebook because otherwise they would clog up my inbox.

After poking around on their API's wiki it would appear that the only publicly available API's for notifications are a) pull and b) lovely and being phased out.

Edit: I could be horribly wrong about that though. I'm not a developer and it's kinda Greek to me.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I switched to the mobile Facebook site in lieu of the app about a month ago. Best decision. If tagging wasn't impossible it would be perfect.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's because the facebook app is made by developers who want to upload all your contacts to their servers and know your location and than come and rape you at night!! Haven't you heard?? :ohdear:

The sad thing is that at this point I'm not sure their developers could even be trusted to pull this off properly. You'd more likely wake up in the morning to find one of them with the first three digits of your parents' phone number scribbled onto a napkin and his dick stuck in the tailpipe of your car.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Penguissimo posted:

The sad thing is that at this point I'm not sure their developers could even be trusted to pull this off properly. You'd more likely wake up in the morning to find one of them with the first three digits of your parents' phone number scribbled onto a napkin and his dick stuck in the tailpipe of your car.

Wait, isn't that what Facebook is actually for? :ohdear:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lprsti99 posted:

C2DM seems to push fine for me.

But according to the app description in the market, you have to have the Facebook emails turned on since it just scrapes those and turns them into c2dm notifications. I don't have emails on because I don't want an email hitting my inbox everytime something happens.

I still want the notification, just not an email. Seems like friend caster can't do that.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

But according to the app description in the market, you have to have the Facebook emails turned on since it just scrapes those and turns them into c2dm notifications. I don't have emails on because I don't want an email hitting my inbox everytime something happens.

I still want the notification, just not an email. Seems like friend caster can't do that.

I've got the emails turned off...

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

nickhimself posted:

I switched to the mobile Facebook site in lieu of the app about a month ago. Best decision. If tagging wasn't impossible it would be perfect.

Friendcaster works really well, not sure if it lets you tag photos but it doesn't suck at least.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lprsti99 posted:

I've got the emails turned off...

Hmm...I'll have to give the app a spin...

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Splizwarf posted:

So, I didn't find the option to clear the default image viewer on Gallery in Manage Applications so I said "Well, maybe if I delete it I'll be prompted to select something next time something asks for Gallery." So I uninstalled Gallery using Titanium Backup, and this has proven to be a dumb move, since now apps just crash or throw an error when they ask for Gallery instead. Win some, lose some.

So I found and installed the stock 2.2 Gallery .apk (the same one I had), and it crashes anytime it tries to pull image details, and also for a couple other triggers that I haven't pinned down. Oddly enough, after re-installing Gallery (although not to /system/app this time, which is probably the source of the crashing issue), I was prompted to set a default for one of the calls, but not the rest of them.

Not sure if its any different than installing the apk you did, but you can try restoring the backup of Gallery from Titanium to see if it works properly.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't get any emails from Facebook and still get notifications from Friendcaster. Under notification 'refresh type' is gives the options for 'periodic polling' 'k-9' 'gmail' and 'push c2dm' which also says (recommended) next to it, which is what I use

e;fb. And that's what I get for not realizing I wasn't on the last page of a thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't care about getting notified about facebook stuff, I'll happily manually check it a couple times a day at most, would friendcaster be a worthwhile download for me?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Cakefool posted:

I don't care about getting notified about facebook stuff, I'll happily manually check it a couple times a day at most, would friendcaster be a worthwhile download for me?

I think so, yes. Simple and no outrageous polling and battery drain. It's free, try it out and decide for yourself if you're on the fence about using it/replacing the fb app with it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

novak posted:

I run intervals

Any ideas? I've been trying to google for such an app but haven't stumbled onto anything that'd just keep counting down on an infinite loop.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ihunda.android.hiit

Havent tested it, but it semms like it should work.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cakefool posted:

You'll lose Contact Sync. It didn't bug me much since I tend to get stuff into my Google Contacts as soon as possible.

Edit: vvvv Ah, I didn't know they had developed that far. My bad.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 8, 2011

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You'll lose Contact Sync. It didn't bug me much since I tend to get stuff into my Google Contacts as soon as possible.
Actually, Friendcaster does sync with contacts, at least pictures.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

torjus posted:

Actually, Friendcaster does sync with contacts, at least pictures.

it doesn't sync all FB contacts, just ones already on your phone, but I wouldn't want all my FB friends on my contact list anyway

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Leathal posted:

It's because the Facebook app is loving terrible. Use the standalone FB messenger app and the mobile Facebook webpage instead.

Seconding this. I've ditched Facebook's App and switched to FriendCaster (for the Push-Notifications).

Thanks to whomever recommended FriendCaster originally. I can't thank you enough. I haven't sprung for the $5 paid version...but I'm heavily leaning that way.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

As others have said...it seems to work for me. I get notifications within a couple of minutes of the comment/whatever being posted...and it even notifies me when people in my "Close Friends" group have made new posts.

FWIW...I DO NOT have the email option enabled either.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Nah yeah you guys were right about the notifications but drat friend casters layout is loving terrible and there's annoying rear end ads on the bottom. Oh and it kicks you out to the website more than the official app.

Official app is better.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Urfdser posted:

Not sure if its any different than installing the apk you did, but you can try restoring the backup of Gallery from Titanium to see if it works properly.

Well, yeah, if I'd made a backup. v:3:v

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Well, yeah, if I'd made a backup. v:3:v
Wait, you used Titanium to remove apps but have never made a backup of your system at all? What did you buy Titanium BACKUP to do?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Wait, you used Titanium to remove apps but have never made a backup of your system at all? What did you buy Titanium BACKUP to do?

I bought it to remove poo poo like Verizon Navigation and Blockbuster from my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I bought it to remove poo poo like Verizon Navigation and Blockbuster from my phone.
You know you can do that for free without an app, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

You know you can do that for free without an app, right?

Verizon makes their shitware unkillable without drastic measures. If you know how to make that happen otherwise I'm all ears.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Midjack posted:

Verizon makes their shitware unkillable without drastic measures. If you know how to make that happen otherwise I'm all ears.

Um, wouldnt backup and removal be possible using ES or root explorer, as long as the phone is rooted?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

Um, wouldnt backup and removal be possible using ES or root explorer, as long as the phone is rooted?

ES & Root Explorer are all fine and dandy as long as you know (1) the APK name (2) the exact folder to navigate to. Titanium Backup is preferred because it's a (mostly) idiot-proof automated way of yanking bloatware apps.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, hence the fruity retard face. I backed up everything else, including system files, but for some idiot reason it didn't occur to me to do it for this.

Actually, now that I think about it, this was the first thing I'd uninstalled with Titanium Backup and I was expecting it to kill the backup as well; I assumed that "Freeze" (a paid feature) was what I'd use if I wanted to keep a backup but have the app uninstalled. Uh, so what does Freeze do then?

e: also, I didn't buy it, I downloaded the free version, and only to remove the baked-in Facebook official app that some rear end in a top hat thought I'd like to have in /system. It's used more of my battery than any other process and I've never opened it a single time. Then... unfortunate tinkering happened.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 8, 2011

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ProjektorBoy posted:

ES & Root Explorer are all fine and dandy as long as you know (1) the APK name (2) the exact folder to navigate to. Titanium Backup is preferred because it's a (mostly) idiot-proof automated way of yanking bloatware apps.

No need, what I meant was that, AFAIK, you can backup or uninstall even system apps in ES File Manager via Menu-Manager-App Manager.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Can someone recommend a good weather widget for me? I just got a SGSIIE4GT and the stock weather widget is somewhat lacking. I came from HTC and liked the way the weather widget was updated based on your location. The Samsung widget just seems to stay at whatever location you initially set it at, unless you go in and manually add another location (up to a max of 10 locations.)

It isn't horrible, but it is a little annoying to not see my location listed as the city I am currently in.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

berzerkmonkey posted:

Can someone recommend a good weather widget for me? I just got a SGSIIE4GT and the stock weather widget is somewhat lacking. I came from HTC and liked the way the weather widget was updated based on your location. The Samsung widget just seems to stay at whatever location you initially set it at, unless you go in and manually add another location (up to a max of 10 locations.)

It isn't horrible, but it is a little annoying to not see my location listed as the city I am currently in.

Is the News and Weather widget included? You can tell that one to update your location automatically.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

berzerkmonkey posted:

Beautiful Widgets.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

big mean giraffe posted:

Beautiful Widgets.
Beautiful Widgets is kind of buggy for me, for some reason. It keeps showing leftover old weather in the main display despite the actual weather for the day being displayed as something completely different in the bottom left. I haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

Also, neither AccuWeather nor Google Weather seem to be very accurate if you live outside the US. You might want to think about trying something a bit more local, even if it won't look as nice. I use weather24.com.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Try Fancy Widgets, it's very similar to Beautiful Widgets.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nimper posted:

Is the News and Weather widget included? You can tell that one to update your location automatically.

Is there any way to get the default News and Weather widget to automatically update the weather/news? I mean I set it to update every hour, but what that ends up meaning is it shows the same headlines and weather until I actually tap it to open, and if it's been over an hour then I have to wait while it finally updates.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there any way to get the default News and Weather widget to automatically update the weather/news? I mean I set it to update every hour, but what that ends up meaning is it shows the same headlines and weather until I actually tap it to open, and if it's been over an hour then I have to wait while it finally updates.

Beats the heck out of me, I was just suggesting it v:shobon:v

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

You guys posted:

Fancy Widgets. Beautiful Widgets.
Thanks - I'll give them a try!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
1x1 weatherbug is pretty coal I think. http://i.imgur.com/ltoFa.jpg

Live a Little
May 7, 2008
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good app for video podcasts? There's just so many choices coming from iOS. Will especially love something can subscribe or download from the itunes podcast feeds since it seems really popular but I know how apple can be with "their" content.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've really liked Palmary weather so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
BeWeather Pro is currently free on that GetJar Gold Apps thing. Not a bad app/widget and for free it doesn't hurt to try it out.

• Locked thread