Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Well this has to be be the stupidest thing I've read today, though I don't think it's worth its own thread:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-02-games-industry-votes-apple-as-biggest-influence

Apparently some "Professionals" were polled in London and Steve Jobs is the most influential man in the history of gaming, beating out Gabe Newell and Shigeru Miyamoto (And Ralph Baer, and Nolan Bushnell, and Al Alcorn, and Trip Hawkins, and...) for the top spot.

There just aren't enough :psyduck:s in the internet. Yes, the iPhone is a neat platform, but considering how it had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the game space, and their ridiculous and draconian policies (No Flash, anyone?) the poll just smacks of posthumous hero worship fluff. Just insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GetWellGamers posted:

Well this has to be be the stupidest thing I've read today, though I don't think it's worth its own thread:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-02-games-industry-votes-apple-as-biggest-influence

Apparently some "Professionals" were polled in London and Steve Jobs is the most influential man in the history of gaming, beating out Gabe Newell and Shigeru Miyamoto (And Ralph Baer, and Nolan Bushnell, and Al Alcorn, and Trip Hawkins, and...) for the top spot.

There just aren't enough :psyduck:s in the internet. Yes, the iPhone is a neat platform, but considering how it had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the game space, and their ridiculous and draconian policies (No Flash, anyone?) the poll just smacks of posthumous hero worship fluff. Just insane.

I bet if that poll had been done a few weeks later Andy Rooney would've won.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

devilmouse posted:

In the startup world, it's called "pivoting"! Pivot, do it!

And then justify it by saying something like, "We are pivoting to leverage our synergies across multiple channels to increase brand strength while retaining our core initiatives."

Who could fault you for that?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Aliginge posted:

Willing to post any of it up? there is a bunch of industry art vets around here.

Nope :colbert:

I'm still far too terrible. I'm just learning myself for a little while longer. Then I'll start posting up to get it all bitched at.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I am trying to get into the level design field. Here is the website for all you guys to destroy. And, I am currently making a TF2 map to get some modern work up there, seeing as my latest released map was from 4-5 years ago!

And by no means am I quitting voice overs, but I'm not super famous yet; I need a day job.

http://www.onlyintheory.com

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
You finally posted :)

Few things:

1. You need more text explaining your levels. What was your design process? Any problems encountered? How did you solve them?

2. Wheres your resume?

3. I'd nuke The Ball's boxart if you didn't design it.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Got a phone interview on Tuesday with Big Huge Games. Pretty excited.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

GeauxSteve posted:

Got a phone interview on Tuesday with Big Huge Games. Pretty excited.

What the... I thought Big Huge went under like a year or two ago. They had that big open-world RPG project that got canned, and I thought that was the end of the studio.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

DancingMachine posted:

What the... I thought Big Huge went under like a year or two ago. They had that big open-world RPG project that got canned, and I thought that was the end of the studio.

BHG got bought by Take 2 a few years ago (while they were working on that RPG for the Wii), then 38 Studios bought them and had them slap a coat of new IP on said RPG and rename it to Kingdoms of Amalur or something to do a tie-in with their MMO that may or may not ever release.

So what he means to say is that he has an interview with 38 Studios' Baltimore office.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.

Shalinor posted:

Hrm. Dammit, now I really AM tempted to drop everything and make an iOS Rocket Jockey. I loved that game as a kid, and I really don't think it would take much to make an iOS version in Unity. And like... I mean I AM my own boss now, so...

Bleh. Must stay focused on current projects.
12 hours on current project and 4 hours on Rocket Jockey per day! Indie Development! Seriously though, good luck Shalinor. Make some high quality video games.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

r2x posted:

12 hours on current project and 4 hours on Rocket Jockey per day! Indie Development! Seriously though, good luck Shalinor. Make some high quality video games.
I'm actually going to REDUCE my hours now that I'm indie ;) I've been burning along at 6 days and 60 hrs/wk for a year already, to support my business in the evening... now? I think I can try at least for below 50, and maybe recharge my crunch batteries a bit.

And... yeah, we'll see. I have a bunch of local indie friends now (hah), and I'm pretty sure I could greybox out a Rocket Jockey prototype in Unity in a day or two as a fun little test. Unlike it was on the PC, the thought of how perfect the controls could be on mobile makes my head spin. So intuitive.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 6, 2011

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

devilmouse posted:

BHG got bought by Take 2 a few years ago (while they were working on that RPG for the Wii), then 38 Studios bought them and had them slap a coat of new IP on said RPG and rename it to Kingdoms of Amalur or something to do a tie-in with their MMO that may or may not ever release.

So what he means to say is that he has an interview with 38 Studios' Baltimore office.

Correct!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Ah hah, always pays to do a bit of research:

A Facebook group dedicated to Rocket Jockey and fan remakes: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2390271810/

An indie dev studio working on precisely what I was considering - a Rocket Jockey successor for iOS: http://www.sixshootergames.com/

Sooo, bueno. An excellent reason to stick to my guns ;)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

GetWellGamers posted:

The question is just so large in scope, so broad in definition, that I don't blame them. There are just TOO many things that have change the industry from year to year. I guess if we are being recent, then yes, I'd agree on the iphone... i wouldn't quite say 'steve jobs' though

Anyway, I'm moving along to Level Designer / Designer position tomorrow. Interesting stuff, can't say what I'm doing right now but it's exciting!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hi thread. I'm sure you don't remember me after I stopped posting about a year ago. I'm still alive.

I've been in the industry for almost a year and a half- still remember posting here and being super excited about it. So far I helped ship one AAA title and am about to ship another that I'm closely involved in. Publishing's still fun, but it's kinda getting lonely. I'm on the road at least one week out of every month and the hours can range from normal to insane.

e: Belated congrats to all the people in here who got jobs/rehired in the last year.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 7, 2011

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

devilmouse posted:

Ah cool, thanks for the clarification.
38 seems like their projects would be pretty fun to work on. Not sure how long they're going to be around but a cool thing to be a part of while they last.
They have staffed up to an insane number of people in a very short period of time. Kingdoms had better sell a LOT of copies...

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Didn't they have to because of some Rhode Island law?

EDIT: Close:

quote:

In July 2010, The Rhode Island board of Economic Development approved a $75 million guaranteed loan to 38 Studios. 38 Studios has promised to bring 450 jobs to the state by the end of 2012.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Didn't they have to because of some Rhode Island law?

EDIT: Close:

I'd imagine they are intending to put a lot of those 450 to work on their MMO property - cheaper to hire and maintain 450 people to support it (especially with govt loans) in Rhode Island than in Boston.

http://38studios.com/products/copernicus

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

450 people... That's double the size of my current company, and we're a 1-game-per-year studio... Yeesh. No wonder I've seen their art test all over the internet.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

So that's cool. (Warning: shameless brag incoming!)

I come back to the office tonight after "coping hour" (aka when we drink to take the pain away and make it through the remainder of the day) and everyone is all excitedly congratulating me. I have no idea what's going on and they all shout that I should check my email.

Apparently in the November issue of Game Developer magazine, I'm named as one of their top 50 developers of the year, as one of the 10 designers included.

My mom's going to be so very proud of me.

:toot:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Wait, really? I just read that issue, which one are you?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's really great. To think that your parents finally have some sort of feedback on your career choice... make sure they pin that poo poo up on the fridge.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

BULBASAUR posted:

That's really great. To think that your parents finally have some sort of feedback on your career choice... make sure they pin that poo poo up on the fridge.
I'd be joking if I said this isn't what parents desperately want to do, so get two copies of that mag and mail them one. Or make it a Christmas gift.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

M4rk posted:

I'd be joking if I said this isn't what parents desperately want to do, so get two copies of that mag and mail them one. Or make it a Christmas gift.

Yeah my mom wanted me to get like, 10 copies of the PC gamer where a story arc I wrote in CoH got a four sentence writeup, and your thing is way bigger than that. Better order a stack.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

Wait, really? I just read that issue, which one are you?

The Jesse without a picture who's trying to trying to bring "core game design" to Zynga. Sorry for the brag, I just had to show someone.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

devilmouse posted:

So that's cool. (Warning: shameless brag incoming!)

I come back to the office tonight after "coping hour" (aka when we drink to take the pain away and make it through the remainder of the day) and everyone is all excitedly congratulating me. I have no idea what's going on and they all shout that I should check my email.

Apparently in the November issue of Game Developer magazine, I'm named as one of their top 50 developers of the year, as one of the 10 designers included.

That's awesome, man, a worthy brag.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

devilmouse posted:

The Jesse without a picture who's trying to trying to bring "core game design" to Zynga. Sorry for the brag, I just had to show someone.

You know what I'd like? I'd like you to talk to Facebook and get them to stop loving compressing the poo poo out of every profile image and screenshot that you try and upload to a page.

See: Your logo.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Monster w21 Faces posted:

You know what I'd like? I'd like you to talk to Facebook and get them to stop loving compressing the poo poo out of every profile image and screenshot that you try and upload to a page.

See: Your logo.

Facebook just auto converts everything to jpeg and destroys everything, i don't necessarily think it's their fault.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
Do any of you have any advice for discussing the internals of previously-released games on the 'net? There's an LP going on at the moment of a game that I was involved with, and I'd like to contribute some of the more interesting behind-the-scenes stuff but I don't want to get myself in any poo poo, especially since it was a licensed title.

Is it something that can be done if I tread carefully or is it a mine-field I'm better off avoiding?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

How likely is it to get you in trouble? ie are you still working at that studio? Is it a studio / IP holder known to be secretive? What kind of "dev secrets" are you going to reveal ("that feature was cut because of a huge internal argument")?

Keep in mind that a lot of the forums are public now, and even for those that aren't - there are a lot of goons, so always bet on anything you say getting back to the companies in question.

There are some of my ex-employers that I absolutely wouldn't talk about ever.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

FreakyZoid posted:

How likely is it to get you in trouble? ie are you still working at that studio? Is it a studio / IP holder known to be secretive? What kind of "dev secrets" are you going to reveal ("that feature was cut because of a huge internal argument")?

Keep in mind that a lot of the forums are public now, and even for those that aren't - there are a lot of goons, so always bet on anything you say getting back to the companies in question.

There are some of my ex-employers that I absolutely wouldn't talk about ever.

I'm not working at the studio anymore (The particular one I was at actually shut down a few years ago), but the IP holder has been known to be rather viciously secretive, at least for in-development games.

Of course, I wouldn't badmouth the company or anyone involved, I just want to share stuff like technological challenges we faced, why certain decisions were made or funny bugs we encountered. I wouldn't doubt it'd get back to them eventually, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with what sort of reactions devs usually get from licencers when talking about this kind of stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's a bad idea to talk about it, I just want to contribute something I guess. v:shobon:v

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Did you sign an NDA?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

Did you sign an NDA?

Most employment contracts have them built in.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Fishbus posted:

Facebook just auto converts everything to jpeg and destroys everything, i don't necessarily think it's their fault.

I know, but Zynga has clout with Facebook.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I know, but Zynga has clout with Facebook.

Hmm... I think you live in an overly idealistic world.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

devilmouse posted:

Somewhere, my dad still has the article in the local paper from back in the 90's when I entered a Doom LAN contest. I happened to win the first round (got taken down hard in the second), and the writer happened to be there that night, so it's two pages of dramatic puff about me emerging victorious and such. While he was proud of the Game Developer article I later wrote, somehow, he never related to it as much as the Doom gaming thing :3:

Guessing yours will be more relatable too - "this dude is awesome!" is way, way better for parents/friends than 3 pages of technobabble with a name at the end.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Backov posted:

Most employment contracts have them built in.

Not usually. They are typically not built in to the employment contract, they're usually signed contemporaneously to avoid a possible severability issue. Not all employers use them, not all jurisdictions recognize them. And if he signed one, that will govern what he is allowed/not allowed to say.

Hence why I'm asking.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Perhaps I'm pipe dreaming, but I'm curious how folks get their foot in the door on the network level of MMOs and online-based games in general. Most of the time I tend to see "requires experience in MMO-driven environment" which I can understand due to the specific nature of the system setup, but where's the entry level on such jobs? I've got about 5 years experience as a Network Admin/Engineer under high stress situations (was tactical comm for the USAF for 2 of those years) but I haven't a clue how anything translates to the online gaming field considering I've never been in on the ground level to see how it all actually works.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Shalinor posted:

Somewhere, my dad still has the article in the local paper from back in the 90's when I entered a Doom LAN contest. I happened to win the first round (got taken down hard in the second), and the writer happened to be there that night, so it's two pages of dramatic puff about me emerging victorious and such. While he was proud of the Game Developer article I later wrote, somehow, he never related to it as much as the Doom gaming thing :3:

Sounds like we've got something in common :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

waffledoodle posted:

Sounds like we've got something in common :smug:

Haha, those are AWESOME. Though they really need a little space marine figure on top...