Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

NGL posted:

Your analogy doesn't work, though. Vader didn't surrender to anyone. He didn't provide the Alliance with any information that would end the war. He sacrificed himself to kill the Emperor.

I wasn't going for a one to one analogy, I was just trying to put Vader into some kind of real life context: the number two guy under an evil dictator who himself was directly responsible for unimaginable horrors. The question is, is that kind of person ever redeemable or even forgivable? If so, that puts a real Catholic spin on SW (and obviously I'm not the first to say that).

And if anything, wouldn't that reflect poorly upon Himmler/Vader? That he didn't really give two shits about the entire galaxy, who he killed, etc., but once he got his rear end whipped and the Emperor was ready to dump him, then he goes "good".

quote:

If, on the other hand, Himmler saved the life of his long lost Jewish son by killing Hitler (and sacrificing himself to do so), then people would probably look a bit more kindly on him.

Wow, I would think the exact opposite. His motives would have been entirely selfish (and yes, giving your life for your child can be a selfish act). I would think that if he had done something that put his family at risk to end the war, then he would be looked at more kindly. But still not kindly overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This thread has taken an oddly :godwin: turn.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I wasn't going for a one to one analogy, I was just trying to put Vader into some kind of real life context: the number two guy under an evil dictator who himself was directly responsible for unimaginable horrors. The question is, is that kind of person ever redeemable or even forgivable? If so, that puts a real Catholic spin on SW (and obviously I'm not the first to say that).

And if anything, wouldn't that reflect poorly upon Himmler/Vader? That he didn't really give two shits about the entire galaxy, who he killed, etc., but once he got his rear end whipped and the Emperor was ready to dump him, then he goes "good".

Wow, I would think the exact opposite. His motives would have been entirely selfish (and yes, giving your life for your child can be a selfish act). I would think that if he had done something that put his family at risk to end the war, then he would be looked at more kindly. But still not kindly overall.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Vader would - or even should - be universally forgiven for his war crimes. But that doesn't lessen the sacrifice he made or what it accomplished.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Did anyone save the text of that fan fiction about how C3PO and R2 were in control the whole time or whatever? I want my girlfriend to read it...

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress every time I read this thread, besides dreaming about how much better the PT could have been, I want to pick up a decent Star Wars EU book. I've read the Thrawn trilogy and became disinterested with the story of Bane. Any recommendations?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Kneel Before Zog posted:

gently caress every time I read this thread, besides dreaming about how much better the PT could have been, I want to pick up a decent Star Wars EU book. I've read the Thrawn trilogy and became disinterested with the story of Bane. Any recommendations?

The X-Wing books are pretty enjoyable, I thought.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Kneel Before Zog posted:

There is a thread linked to in the OP but I'm pretty sure the x-wing series is something you would be interested in.

e;fb -_-

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
151 5 star reviews on Amazon. Nice. Does it feature Luke primarily, or revolve around Jedi and the force? Cool Jedi and force power fights is really what i'm most interested in.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Kneel Before Zog posted:

151 5 star reviews on Amazon. Nice. Does it feature Luke primarily, or revolve around Jedi and the force? Cool Jedi and force power fights is really what i'm most interested in.

No, it's more about Rogue Squadron, with Luke playing a pretty small role. If you want Force power battles and the like, I'd suggest reading Labyrinth of Evil, the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, and possibly Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. I hear Shatterpoint is really good, too, but I've not read it.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
I've gotta say that Shatterpoint is one of my favourite EU PT (ish) novels, its rather dark though with an extra helping of grit sprinkled with grit. Essentially its Star Wars vietnam :)But it makes Mace Windu out to be the badass that we knew we wanted to see in the PT - definetly one of Matthew Stovers most awesome books (Right up there with the ROTS book)and has some great moments

That reminds me, I'm reading The Shadows of Mindor at the moment I was kinda put off with all the shadowspawn spacewizard stuff, but as I'm getting further into the book, I'm finding it much much better! I really like his characterisations of the big three (Leia, Han and Luke), I feel he writes them in a much more natural fashion than anything else I've read so far.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Red Robin Hood posted:

Did anyone save the text of that fan fiction about how C3PO and R2 were in control the whole time or whatever? I want my girlfriend to read it...

Here you go.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Torael_7 posted:

Here you go.

Thank you, sir! :worship:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Not A Bear posted:

That reminds me, I'm reading The Shadows of Mindor at the moment I was kinda put off with all the shadowspawn spacewizard stuff, but as I'm getting further into the book, I'm finding it much much better! I really like his characterisations of the big three (Leia, Han and Luke), I feel he writes them in a much more natural fashion than anything else I've read so far.

Just think of all the dark wizard stuff as an exaggeration of what was really going on, since it's supposed to be a movie about what really happened.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

arioch posted:

Just think of all the dark wizard stuff as an exaggeration of what was really going on, since it's supposed to be a movie about what really happened.

Whoa whoa whoa, total spoilers there dude. :colbert:

(don't worry Red Robin Hood, it's a minor plot point at most)

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Other than a few daft moments 'Death Star' is worth picking up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not A Bear posted:

I've gotta say that Shatterpoint is one of my favourite EU PT (ish) novels, its rather dark though with an extra helping of grit sprinkled with grit. Essentially its Star Wars vietnam :)But it makes Mace Windu out to be the badass that we knew we wanted to see in the PT - definetly one of Matthew Stovers most awesome books (Right up there with the ROTS book)and has some great moments

He pitched it as 'Apocalypse Now with Jedi.'

I'm probably out of the mainstream here but I think Shatterpoint is Stover's best book, far better than the ROTS novel. My girlfriend likes sci-fi but other than enjoying the OT is not a Star Wars fan at all, but she read and loved Shatterpoint.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I've never read it, but I've heard that "I, Jedi" is basically a retelling of the Jedi Academy trilogy (which I thought had some cool Jedi mythology and Force battle stuff in it) with the stupid Kevin J. Anderson garbage snipped out. So check that out maybe?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, that's probably the best you're going to get for Jedi adventures without looking at the prequel era stuff, which I don't know as well.

"I, Jedi" is basically two books stapled together. One, the first bit, has the eponymous Jedi part of Luke Skywalker's Jedi Temple as a decent author tries to salvage via slight background editing an important bit of the universe that was rather mishandled by Kevin J. Anderson.

Then, partway through, he leaves and joins his own new plotline as he tries to use his new Jedi abilities to save his wife in a completely different story with basically no characters or plot carrying over.

It'll make more sense if you read the Jedi Academy books first, but those aren't very good. I understand there might be a tolerable summary of those in the Book Barn thread if you'd like to approach it that way instead.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The real answer is that the carbonite is visually bitching and adds a bit of old timey serial feel to it. Anyone got an in-universe explanation? I'm expecting some good poo poo on this one.

The Clone Wars CG had Anakin and some others frozen in carbonite to get past life sign detectors. And in the new MMO there's a bunch of people frozen and hung up like Han was in one screenshot. So it was a thing they did. 3500 years before. Yeah.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I really hate that too because Lando's dialogue in ESB heavily implies it's never been tried before, since they want to test it first. And if it had been done in secret by some pirates or something, I'm sure Lando of all people would know something about it.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

RagnarokAngel posted:

I really hate that too because Lando's dialogue in ESB heavily implies it's never been tried before, since they want to test it first. And if it had been done in secret by some pirates or something, I'm sure Lando of all people would know something about it.

Well, you see, I believe the George Lucas Approved Retcon is that Vader says, "This facility is crude, but it should be adequate to freeze Skywalker for his journey to the Emperor" and so a regular facility would have done just fine, but Bespin wasn't up to date with technology from 20 years ago, I guess.

Although my favorite George Lucas Approved Retcon is that R2D2's rocket boosters (the ones which enabled him to fly during The Clone Wars/PT) were damaged between episodes 3 and 4 and since R2 is an older model, the necessary repair parts were too rare and hence he was never able to fly again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RagnarokAngel posted:

I agree. Yet another terrible thing done in an attempt to chip away at ESB.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
White vader for whoever asked:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:WhiteVader.jpg
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities:_Return_of_the_Jedi

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

I just read the swap.avi review on the frontpage, but somehow this is more depressing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

:ughh:
So he keeps the Nazi helmet and the demon mask and everything, but just turns white? Subtle, EU, very subtle.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It would barely make sense that the rebellion might not have the time/equipment to build him a fancy new life support helmet to replace the Vader one (although they gave Luke a sweet hand, but maybe Vader's stuff would be more specific/customized, whatever). But then you'd think he's just do something about the giant black cape and other 'soft' furnishings, maybe get a hood to take the edge of his look. Nope, apparently they just broke out some spare autopaint from sprucing up the x-wings.

Should have at least airbrushed some flames on the helmet.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Forum Actuary posted:

The Clone Wars CG had Anakin and some others frozen in carbonite to get past life sign detectors. And in the new MMO there's a bunch of people frozen and hung up like Han was in one screenshot. So it was a thing they did. 3500 years before. Yeah.

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter had one of the main characters getting voluntarily frozen in an attempt to make Maul think he was dead (and then go back to try and kill Maul for some brilliant reason)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some stupid ensign accidentally threw his cape in with the whites. There was no turning back after that.

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I am the Master, you will obey me...

thrawn527 posted:

I agree. Yet another terrible thing done in an attempt to chip away at ESB.

Don't forget though that in the same scene Threepio says that Han should be fine if he survives the freezing process implying that it has been done before & its possible Threepio has seen it happen before.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I always that line was just 3P0 being 3P0 and stating the obvious. He'll be safe in there...IF he survives the freezing process? That's a pretty big if.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Carbonite freezing was probably something that maybe slipped in and out of popularity. With FTL travel, the need for it in the 'modern' age probably slipped from being useful. Also, there is the possibility of extreme harm during the process that makes it scary for most people to try because most people who would try it aren't skilled enough to do it safely.

However, the Emperor already has one severely injured Sith Lord at his side: Would he really be opposed to his replacement having some similarly controllable injuries due to a bad "Carbonite Manuever".

If Luke came out needing robotic eyes, a new arm, artificial organs or having brain damage or emotional problems, he's already used to that out of a Skywalker.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Maybe so, but he'd be at 75% force power because he lost an arm.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Finishing up my Star Wars watchthrough and decided to follow up the blu-rays with Lego Star Wars: The Padawan Menace and holy poo poo, this thing is awesome! It occupies a higher place in my personal canon than the entirety of the prequel trilogy.

Yoda fistbumping little kids owns hard and don't try to tell me otherwise.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Hemp Knight posted:

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter had one of the main characters getting voluntarily frozen in an attempt to make Maul think he was dead (and then go back to try and kill Maul for some brilliant reason)

Hell-bent on revenge.

He would have succeeded if his blaster had had a few more shots and he hadn't stood there going "Holy poo poo it worked!" in the five seconds that the stun bolt kept Maul down, too. :colbert:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Torael_7 posted:

Hell-bent on revenge.

He would have succeeded if his blaster had had a few more shots and he hadn't stood there going "Holy poo poo it worked!" in the five seconds that the stun bolt kept Maul down, too. :colbert:

So what you're saying is Hokey Religions And Ancient Weapons Are No Substitute For A Good Blaster At Your Side?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I know we've talked about this before, but why aren't there any regular/non-blaster guns in the EU again?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I know we've talked about this before, but why aren't there any regular/non-blaster guns in the EU again?

Because at the height of the Old Republic your regular criminal/soldier/space postman was still highly unlikely to run into a Jedi or Sith. Also although you have two power sources in a blaster(gas canister and power cell) those two sources will give you thousands of shots on one load. I think there were a few slugthrowing weapons in Republic Commando but even then they're referenced as being really archaic and clumsy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also something about armour protecting you from bullets but not from blasters.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I still think it's funny that no one was smart enough to develop a Final Fantasy style triple-bullet angle gun:

I think it'd be almost impossible for a Jedi to deflect those all at once since a straight line can only block two angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

arioch posted:

Yeah I've just finished the book, and that actually makes a lot of sense, it almost had a bit of a pulpy feel going on. The whole stuff with the Dark was kind of different also - not in a hugely bad way though

Lando was definitely the best as well, it was good to see him in the role of a competent general - not just a wacky sidekick. The end was a bit weird though, was it just me, or did the character at the end seem like a bit of a self insert for the author? Complaining about deadlines and things?

Chairman Capone posted:

He pitched it as 'Apocalypse Now with Jedi.'

I'm probably out of the mainstream here but I think Shatterpoint is Stover's best book, far better than the ROTS novel. My girlfriend likes sci-fi but other than enjoying the OT is not a Star Wars fan at all, but she read and loved Shatterpoint.

Oh yeah that's a great way to describe it, I really enjoyed that element of the story. I'd definetly agree, I'd have to say that the novelisation of ROTS isnt far behind and I rather enjoyed Traitior (I think that's the one) as well though, even having not read much of the EU really.