Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

whatspeakyou posted:

Perhaps I'm pipe dreaming, but I'm curious how folks get their foot in the door on the network level of MMOs and online-based games in general. Most of the time I tend to see "requires experience in MMO-driven environment" which I can understand due to the specific nature of the system setup, but where's the entry level on such jobs? I've got about 5 years experience as a Network Admin/Engineer under high stress situations (was tactical comm for the USAF for 2 of those years) but I haven't a clue how anything translates to the online gaming field considering I've never been in on the ground level to see how it all actually works.

Depends what you want to do. Are you a developer, or are you wanting to be a sysadmin type?

Personally I am hiring MMO engineers, and I don't give a gently caress if you have MMO experience. It's all about attitude, intelligence and skill set. For instance, for us we would love to hire Java engineers with a lot of experience in J2EE scalability, which is just about the opposite of your standard game development setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Backov posted:

Personally I am hiring MMO engineers, and I don't give a gently caress if you have MMO experience. It's all about attitude, intelligence and skill set. For instance, for us we would love to hire Java engineers with a lot of experience in J2EE scalability, which is just about the opposite of your standard game development setup.

My heart is potentially going out to you if you're using Darkstar or Coherence or any of the other unfortunate MMO-esque middleware in Java.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Backov posted:

Depends what you want to do. Are you a developer, or are you wanting to be a sysadmin type?

Probably more sysadmin, as that has been the bulk of my experience as of late. I see the obvious need for folks like me but I rarely see or hear of such positions being open (and when they are, they generally require network admin experience in an MMO environment, which sucks). My dream job would probably be to get my feet wet in the MMO environment and then hop on a new job and help build the infrastructure from the ground up. I really dig that kind of work.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

mutata posted:

Hmm... I think you live in an overly idealistic world.

I was making fun. :3:

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

AntiPseudonym posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a bad idea to talk about it, I just want to contribute something I guess. v:shobon:v

Your initial reaction is correct - even if you start out innocently, it always ends in tears, entitlement, and a particular segment of the playerbase feeling like they got shafted because they didn't get extra-special unofficial developer attention. PR and community people are there for a reason - they're a lot better at dealing with the pressures involved with the entire process and making sure they don't let slip something that's accidentally terrible.

If it's in an official venue (convention, meet & greet, whatever) then it's totally cool to share war stories and behind-the-scenes stuff, but if it's on the internet it's almost universally a bad idea. It's one of the few really frustrating things about working in the industry - you're always a public face of your franchise and you have to be on your best behavior at all times, regardless of what community you're interacting with or where you are on the net. Guild forums, SA, random special interest website for your particular brand of car? Doesn't matter - behave yourself, keep your trap shut, and don't talk about specifics. Failure to follow that tends to lead to stupid rumors in the best case scenarios and firing at worst.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

wodin posted:

Failure to follow that tends to lead to stupid rumors in the best case scenarios and firing at worst.

Or a developer marrying a player. Whether this is a best or worst case scenario, I leave as an exercise for the reader.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

devilmouse posted:

Or a developer marrying a player. Whether this is a best or worst case scenario, I leave as an exercise for the reader.

This sure sounds like an entertaining story :allears:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I don't know, if you worked on a game I don't think it's in poor form to comment on an LP of it. Remember the guy that went through the Sanitarium LP basically giving the director's commentary level by level? That was pretty awesome.

So long as it's not like "gently caress the CEO" I don't really see the harm in it, but then I guess that's why they pay mr. stodgy lawyer-man to be a stodgy lawyer-man and not me...

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I'm currently applying to a game company for a programming position, and have been looking into tools programming. It seems like a specialization I can get really into. However, I still don't have much insight into what it entails in more specific cases, and I haven't had much luck googling for examples of what tools end up being created. Can anyone give me a few examples of the kinds of things tools programmers would commonly develop, or have any other thoughts/suggestions on tools programming in general? I appreciate the help.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Pipelines are huge. If you have a tool that can convert Max and Maya files into stuff that will just drop into a game and work, without all kinds of tedious exporting/importing rubbish, your artists will love you like a benevolent deity.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

Pipelines are huge. If you have a tool that can convert Max and Maya files into stuff that will just drop into a game and work, without all kinds of tedious exporting/importing rubbish, your artists will love you like a benevolent deity.

This is assuming the game engine uses a common file format, which usually isnt the case from what I've learned. Fuuuck youu Gamebryo backend and your retarded .nif files.

Our tools programmers are also shader programmers. They give us some nifty MEL/Python scripts sometimes. But lately there's not a lot of tools/scripts they can develop that already hasn't been made readily accessible by the public that we use. Although I'm pretty sure our world builders/environment guys have some pretty sweet tools that have been modified/developed specifically for them

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Just had my interview with 38 Studios. Their HR lady was very nice. I'm looking forward to hearing back from them.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

devilmouse posted:

My heart is potentially going out to you if you're using Darkstar or Coherence or any of the other unfortunate MMO-esque middleware in Java.

This company was doing Java based MMOs 10 years ago. We don't do middleware. :)

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Backov posted:

This company was doing Java based MMOs 10 years ago. We don't do middleware. :)

*thinks* *thinks harder* You work on RuneScape, don't you?!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Van Ishikawa posted:

I'm currently applying to a game company for a programming position, and have been looking into tools programming. It seems like a specialization I can get really into. However, I still don't have much insight into what it entails in more specific cases, and I haven't had much luck googling for examples of what tools end up being created. Can anyone give me a few examples of the kinds of things tools programmers would commonly develop, or have any other thoughts/suggestions on tools programming in general? I appreciate the help.

A lot of tools development thrives on the scale of large studios. If you've got 60 artists in a studio, and in a week you can build a tool that saves them 5 minutes of work a day, it's worth the time because it will start paying off after 8 weeks. Tasks like this include cleaner / easier exporting for Maya, building scripts to quickly setup rigs, validating data and checking for errors earlier in the process, so a warning can pop up in Maya when an artist builds something incorrect, instead of waiting until run-time.

Also there is a lot of data massaging before export of assets, after exporting assets, at build time for each platform, and at load time.

Sometimes tools programming is integrating third party tools, like Incredibuild into a build process.

There are also content creation tools. Maybe your artists want to be able to build collision data for actors in Maya for your in-house physics engine.

Some studios will have a dedicated tools guy that only does tools, and some studios engine/tools teams overlap.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

whatspeakyou posted:

Perhaps I'm pipe dreaming, but I'm curious how folks get their foot in the door on the network level of MMOs and online-based games in general. Most of the time I tend to see "requires experience in MMO-driven environment" which I can understand due to the specific nature of the system setup, but where's the entry level on such jobs? I've got about 5 years experience as a Network Admin/Engineer under high stress situations (was tactical comm for the USAF for 2 of those years) but I haven't a clue how anything translates to the online gaming field considering I've never been in on the ground level to see how it all actually works.

I'm a sysadmin in a game company and we have a sub-team of guys dedicated to online gaming and our mobile MMO. I don't think we advertise our positions as needing MMO experience and most of us never really had experience managing the server-side of MMOs before.
Good luck!

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

devilmouse posted:

*thinks* *thinks harder* You work on RuneScape, don't you?!

Yes, and Transformers and Stellar Dawn (both as yet unreleased).

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Hey RuneScape, why you hate artists?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Backov posted:

Yes, and Transformers and Stellar Dawn (both as yet unreleased).

Say hi to Jess for me. :v:

(Punch her in the arm as well.)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

waffledoodle posted:

Sounds like we've got something in common :smug:

You're the one that kicked the poo poo out of me in that contest, aren't you :colbert:

I was only a kid, and I'd never LAN'ed before that one contest I went to. Also in round 2, I went up against the two that would become the finalist and semi-finalist, so... uh, yeah :v: I remember there was me and one other beyond them - I skunked the other handily, but we both just kind of sat back and got schooled by the other two.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
Haha, not unless you went to my high school. It was the first time I had ever played over LAN either, and I remember panicking when everyone else was strafing too. "They know my secrets!"

The Doom contests were held by the computer programming club, which was actually a gaming club, but since the school wouldn't allow such a thing, our school's cool computer science teacher let the club operate under the ruse of being about coding. I joined when they held the first Doom contest (only members could enter). I was elected PR Officer for the club the following year, and won the tournament again. The next year I was made club president, even though I didn't actually run. I thought it was because I was nerd-popular, but as it happened, it was only because the president wasn't allowed to participate in contests :(

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Aliginge posted:

Say hi to Jess for me. :v:

(Punch her in the arm as well.)

Dude I am right here I read this thread every day you know :I

(Also I have no idea who Backov is, who are you dude? Oh god what if it's someone I see every day)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

floofyscorp posted:

(Also I have no idea who Backov is, who are you dude? Oh god what if it's someone I see every day)

Will maybe see you next Thursday when I'm there for my assessment day.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

floofyscorp posted:

I can't punch you in the arm across the internet though can I? :U

p.s. Our bosses are buying us spangly new Wacom Intuos 4M tablets. :dance: (Not cintiqs, but we're working on it.)

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Only two weeks left at my Serious Game job and most of my duties have been transferred over. I cannot wait to get to my Producer gig.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

floofyscorp posted:

I am lead of game engine infrastructure.

When I started work at Jagex, I had to get IT to remove SA from their web filters "Adult, Nude, Offensive" category so I could read my offensive posts every day. :smug:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Backov posted:

I am lead of game engine infrastructure.

When I started work at Jagex, I had to get IT to remove SA from their web filters "Adult, Nude, Offensive" category so I could read my offensive posts every day. :smug:

Oh my god I had no idea, now I don't have to keep it to my phone anymore! :D

And nice mod name! :p

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Another art post!

Squirrels!

I promise I'll have some actual game art soon. :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

mutata posted:

This character concept perpetuates negative gender stereotypes related to squirrel facial hair growth.

(It's also completely awesome)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

This character concept perpetuates negative gender stereotypes related to squirrel facial hair growth.

(It's also completely awesome)

I submit "Gender stereotypes related to squirrel facial hair growth" as a thread title.

(Also, thanks! :) )

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
We launched our second game in two months yesterday. It's called Booty Quest and I believe it to genuinely be one of the fastest, smoothest match 3 experiences out there.

It also has parrots!

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Monster w21 Faces posted:

We launched our second game in two months yesterday. It's called Booty Quest and I believe it to genuinely be one of the fastest, smoothest match 3 experiences out there.

It also has parrots!

I now have a new game to share with my wife that she will be obsessed with. YOHO!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Zynga :downs:

quote:

Attracting top employees can be difficult for cash-strapped startups. So, in many cases, they give out company stock to supplement salaries that employees might feel is below-market.

Zynga followed that strategy. But now the CityVille and FarmVille maker apparently wishes it hadn't, according to a new report.

Citing industry sources, The Wall Street Journal reported today that Zynga CEO Mark Pincus, along with his top executives, decided last year as they were preparing for an initial public offering (IPO) that they had given out too much stock to employees. But rather than accept that reality, the executives reportedly tried a different tactic: demand employees give back not-yet-vested stock or face termination.

In order to determine which employees would be asked to give stock back, Pincus and his executives tried to pinpoint workers whose contributions to Zynga--in the execs' eyes--didn't necessarily justify the potential cash windfall they could receive when the company went public, the Journal claims. One Journal source said that Zynga executives were especially concerned with not creating a "Google chef" scenario.

That reference relates to Google's 2004 IPO when one of the company's chefs, who was hired in the firm's early days, walked away with $20 million worth of stock after the shares went public.

After finding people to target, the Journal's sources say, Pincus offered his ultimatum.

However, as one might expect, he faced some anger from employees who didn't believe they should be required to give back the stock. The Journal cited two employees--one who has left Zynga and another that still works with the company--who hired attorneys to reach a settlement that saw them give up some, but not all, of the unvested shares.

Although Zynga's decision might be met with some criticism, the firm's executives reportedly justified their strategy by saying it was best for the company. With the unvested shares, the executives believed they could attract more top talent with the promise of stock.

Source

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Google has chefs?!? Man even the chefs at Google make $20 million. I gotta start learning to cook.

Seriously though, that is lovely.

edit: But in line with things I've heard about Mark Pincus.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Vino posted:

Google has chefs?!? Man even the chefs at Google make $20 million. I gotta start learning to cook.

Yeah I interviewed there once, and they have some pretty goddamn good food. Microsoft does too for the record, and I've never been to Apple's HQ but I imagine they've got some pretty good vegan options. :v:

On topic: Zynga has done something shady, exploitative, and immoral. I am really trying to be surprised here. :geno: I bet that brand new stock-incentive plan will really work on prospective new employees who don't bother to google the company first!

Seriously though, is there anyone who works at Zynga in this thread? I'd love to hear an insider perspective on this (and also I'd like to know if I'd be offending anyone by badmouthing Zynga here :shobon:)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
That Zynga executives are sociopaths should really come as a surprise to nobody. That Zynga executives feel the money they get from this is worth the bad PR is somewhat surprising.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
People stick it out at companies that they would normally leave all the time for stock options. Go talk to someone who was at Broadcom in 1999. Those stock options might have been the reason a lot of people were staying.

What a class act. "Let's just go ahead and poo poo on our employees and bust up our contracts so that none of them can potentially make more money then WE, the all-powerful Executivate, think that they deserve!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah, it's not like that Google chef they cited as an example even ripped off Google or anything. All he did was take assets that were legally his and sell them on the open market for exactly what they were worth. I guess Zynga wants to make extra sure that no one gets rich who wasn't rich already! God bless America. :patriot:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I think we do have someone here who works at Zynga, which is partially why I posted the article - wondering if that had any impact on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Just got off the phone with someone concerning a games-related job.

Pumped. Just gotta return this writing test...