Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Doc Hawkins posted:

Can you say more about what you mean by "on rails?" So it was a first-person thing?

Aye it was first person. To go between houses and areas you would walk along paths and couldn't deviate or turn around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Super stretch here, but was it either Wizardry or Shin Megami Tensei?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm pretty sure you could turn around in those.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Pablo Gigante posted:

Jurassic War?

This is older than I remember seeing the article (early 2000s), but it may have been an old issue or just an article about an older game, and this is much closer to what I recall than Paraworld anyhow, so props either way.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm pretty sure you could turn around in those.

I know, but those are the only things even vaguely close to what he's talking about.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

DarthBlingBling posted:

Aye it was first person. To go between houses and areas you would walk along paths and couldn't deviate or turn around.

Was it a FMV adventure game? If so it's gotta be Lunacy.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 27, 2011

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Rollersnake posted:

Was it a FMV adventure game? If so it's gotta be Lunacy.

Got a feeling it is this, on my phone right now so can't thoroughly check, but the clock shop stood out.

Edit :: 99% sure that's the one

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 27, 2011

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
The game I'm trying to remember the name of is at least 10 years old or so, and it was a dos game if I remember right. The most I can remember is that it was a 2d game and there was lots of flames or laser beams (I don't remember) in different rooms and you had to use mirrors and such to deflect them elsewhere. You did all this to save your dog, and you could unintentionally fry him which gave me nightmares as a kid. I think I remember the dog even taking up the whole screen as it fried, prompting the game-over or something. :( It was a pretty innocent game, but holy poo poo that dog.

I'd be really grateful if someone could remember the name of this game, because it'd be fun to play again.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

The game I'm trying to remember the name of is at least 10 years old or so, and it was a dos game if I remember right. The most I can remember is that it was a 2d game and there was lots of flames or laser beams (I don't remember) in different rooms and you had to use mirrors and such to deflect them elsewhere. You did all this to save your dog, and you could unintentionally fry him which gave me nightmares as a kid. I think I remember the dog even taking up the whole screen as it fried, prompting the game-over or something. :( It was a pretty innocent game, but holy poo poo that dog.

I'd be really grateful if someone could remember the name of this game, because it'd be fun to play again.

That would probably be Rescue Rover

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Krolm posted:

That would probably be Rescue Rover

Yessss, thank you!

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!
I had this game for Playstation where everything was clay and you played as a white character with red pants i think. He had one strand of hair and totally black eyes. Man that game is awesome, and I want to play it again, but I can't remember the name of it.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Generic CAW posted:

I had this game for Playstation where everything was clay and you played as a white character with red pants i think. He had one strand of hair and totally black eyes. Man that game is awesome, and I want to play it again, but I can't remember the name of it.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
The Neverhood?

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!

MMAgCh posted:

The Neverhood?

That link led me to "Skullmonkeys" which was the game I was thinking about and the sequal to the game you linked to. Thanks for the help!

I kept googling "Claymen", but came up short because it's spelled "Klaymen".

Edit;
Here's one of the reasons why I loved the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozqdqnyusjw
2nd Edit;
This is also incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al0XOLM9FPw

Generic CAW fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 30, 2011

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

There was this old PC game on two or three 3-and-a-half-inch floppy disks. It resembled a side scroller, and the whole game had a few hobbits walking from left to right the entire time across a seemingly endless countryside along a straight path, and the day would turn to night and so on as the game went on. I seem to remember being unable to control them in any significant way. Distinctly, the main hobbit was named Frodo, though the game was not called Lord of the Rings. I want to say there was a map screen, but most of what I remember was sort of like a side-scroller with multiple "screens." When you'd get to the right, a new screen would appear, never scrolling. You'd occasionally run into enemies or people to talk to, and I think you ran into someone that joined your party, but this is all I can remember. :(

This is also the first time I'd ever heard of either hobbits or somebody named Frodo. When I first discovered LOTR a few years later, my mind was blown wide open. I felt like I knew everything. :3:

oversteps fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 2, 2011

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I remember seeing videos of a puzzle game on (I think) the DS. It was all about using perspective to pass the level. You see the game from an isometric point of view but if something can't be seen, e.g. blocked by a pillar, then your character can treat it as if it didn't exist. I think it was all (or mostly) in black and white too.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

gandlethorpe posted:

I remember seeing videos of a puzzle game on (I think) the DS. It was all about using perspective to pass the level. You see the game from an isometric point of view but if something can't be seen, e.g. blocked by a pillar, then your character can treat it as if it didn't exist. I think it was all (or mostly) in black and white too.

Echochrome on the psp and ps3

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
That was fast, thanks! drat, why the PSP though? Oh well.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Jarate posted:

This is also the first time I'd ever heard of either hobbits or somebody named Frodo. When I first discovered LOTR a few years later, my mind was blown wide open. I felt like I knew everything. :3:

It couldn't have been War in Middle Earth? That had an overworld map and side scrolling bits, at least on the PC version. There's a whole bunch of Tolkien-inspired games though, that site lists most of them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Trying to remember an Apple II game. I know I had it on an Apple IIc. It was an economic trade game, I think it took place on a grid. One of the in-game companies was Altair Industries, and I know that companies could have stock splits and whatnot.

EDIT: So hard to find information on this game... it looks like it might be StarLanes or something along those lines? Can anyone confirm or refute?

guppy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 4, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm trying to remember the name of this one game where you built dungeons full of traps and monsters would invade it. The game used some Doom assets and had an announcer, and I only saw it on a Speed Demos Archive stream.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Zeether posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of this one game where you built dungeons full of traps and monsters would invade it. The game used some Doom assets and had an announcer, and I only saw it on a Speed Demos Archive stream.

Dungeon Keeper?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

Replace "monsters" with "heroes" and that sounds like Dungeon Keeper, easily one of Bullfrog's best games. Came out for both DOS and Windows back in the day, IIRC.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Zeether posted:

Others have already said it, but I'll eat my hat if this isn't Dungeon Keeper. You get invaded by heroes, not monsters, BUT there are aggressive monsters in some areas that you need to tame or kill.

The game didn't use any DOOM assets, but some of the things had a similar style to it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yup, it was Dungeon Keeper. Looks pretty fun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It is. Good Old Games has both of them, and the KeeperFX fan-remake of DK1 is pretty stable these days.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

This is a long shot, but there was a game I played back on a Windows 95 PC, a 2D space game where the ships were basically simple geometric shapes and stuff. You selected the angle you wanted the ships to turn at and they'd move when your turn was over. Each ship had a few missiles of different types to launch either at enemy ships or starbases. Anyone remember this?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mind over Matter posted:

This is a long shot, but there was a game I played back on a Windows 95 PC, a 2D space game where the ships were basically simple geometric shapes and stuff. You selected the angle you wanted the ships to turn at and they'd move when your turn was over. Each ship had a few missiles of different types to launch either at enemy ships or starbases. Anyone remember this?

Critical Mass, I never got to play any more than the Demo but god that game was awesome.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Critical Mass, I never got to play any more than the Demo but god that game was awesome.

Hahahahaha holy gently caress this is it. I never played the fancy 3D graphics version I brought up through Google, but that's it all right. Thank you!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

This sounds like a computer version of Full Thrust, looking it the hell up.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Man, if it wasn't still 20 bucks for a 15 year old game, I'd be buying the hell out of it. http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/critical.html is the website.

Edit: Hell, I may still have to buy it eventually.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm trying to remember a point-and-click adventure game that came out in the late 90's or very, very early 00's. It was pirate themed (not Monkey Island) and I think it was educational or linked to toys. The entire game took place on a ship and then ended on a skull island. And involved a parrot for some reason. Sorry for being so vague, but I recently remembered everything about it except the name.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Organic Robot posted:

I'm trying to remember a point-and-click adventure game that came out in the late 90's or very, very early 00's. It was pirate themed (not Monkey Island) and I think it was educational or linked to toys. The entire game took place on a ship and then ended on a skull island. And involved a parrot for some reason. Sorry for being so vague, but I recently remembered everything about it except the name.

Could it be Moop and Dreadly?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Discount Viscount posted:

Could it be Moop and Dreadly?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't done by Humongous Entertainment. If it helps, I also remember that you didn't control any character in the game, you just kind of clicked around the ship and skull island while solving weird puzzles.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mind over Matter posted:

Man, if it wasn't still 20 bucks for a 15 year old game, I'd be buying the hell out of it. http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/critical.html is the website.

Yeah, googled this a few months ago and saw the price. Reminds me of another old classic I never bought called Gravity Well.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Mind over Matter posted:

I suggest everyone interested in Critical Mass play some SteamBirds flash game and smartphone app first! http://steambirds.com/ :woop:

Looks to me like the same exact premise except SteamBirds has better presentation and pricepoint at the expense of what seems like slightly dumbing down the game to make it more accessible as you have no ammo (I've never played Critical Mass).

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 5, 2011

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Organic Robot posted:

Could it be Muppet Trasure Island?

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppet_Treasure_Island_%28CD-ROM%29

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I don't recall if this was ever discovered, so I'm reposting this one after having had success asking about other games before. Here's some of the stuff I remember.

It had you controlling what I think was a small party of young people entering some kind of complex to defeat some evil something-or-other. You had a map screen with an overhead view and one where you saw just what was ahead of you, I don't remember if they both appeared at once to help you navigate, but probably so.

You had to fight various monsters, among them snakes, and you could pick up items and equip or use them, as I recall. You could even find snake eggs, and sometimes they were in the process of hatching, so you either had to drop or eat them to stop them from producing another snake that'd attack or hurt you somehow.

This was probably a shareware or demo version I played, since only the first few levels or so of the complex was available to play in. I think you could gather gems, either to use directly or in some kind of puzzles. I don't recall exactly what weaponry you had, but I think you could use slingshots.

Edit: Oh, and I don't think it had a heavy fantasy emphasis, it seemed almost to take place in modern times, but that could just be a faulty memory of mine.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 6, 2011

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've had one that's been bothering me for years, pretty much since the same year the demo came out and I later lost it, in fact.

Game was on the PlayStation, had a demo on one of those PlayStation Magazine discs, which is all my experience with the game. It was a third-person overhead-view army-ish game. Characters were, as I remember, pill-shaped with Rayman-style hands and feet, and as the above would suggest a rather cartoony look and feel in general. Gameplay was, like, your base had this 2x2 grid, and you'd run to the center or other parts of the map to grab boxes and stack them there, and however you stacked them would decide what you'd get when breaking them open; a single block would just be a pistol, for example (although breaking it off the grid rather than on it got even less), while one stacked upon the other would create another character, and a full 2x2x2 made a tank. You could also get some rare blue boxes that, when added to whatever you were stacking as one of the component blocks, made a much better version. Pretty sure the goal was to just kill all the other guys or destroy their bases or something, but it was surprisingly fun, at least for me at... Whatever age I was back then.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

I've had one that's been bothering me for years, pretty much since the same year the demo came out and I later lost it, in fact.

Game was on the PlayStation, had a demo on one of those PlayStation Magazine discs, which is all my experience with the game. It was a third-person overhead-view army-ish game. Characters were, as I remember, pill-shaped with Rayman-style hands and feet, and as the above would suggest a rather cartoony look and feel in general. Gameplay was, like, your base had this 2x2 grid, and you'd run to the center or other parts of the map to grab boxes and stack them there, and however you stacked them would decide what you'd get when breaking them open; a single block would just be a pistol, for example (although breaking it off the grid rather than on it got even less), while one stacked upon the other would create another character, and a full 2x2x2 made a tank. You could also get some rare blue boxes that, when added to whatever you were stacking as one of the component blocks, made a much better version. Pretty sure the goal was to just kill all the other guys or destroy their bases or something, but it was surprisingly fun, at least for me at... Whatever age I was back then.
Team Buddies

First result for "block stacking army game psx" :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

evilmiera posted:

I don't recall if this was ever discovered, so I'm reposting this one after having had success asking about other games before. Here's some of the stuff I remember.

It had you controlling what I think was a small party of young people entering some kind of complex to defeat some evil something-or-other. You had a map screen with an overhead view and one where you saw just what was ahead of you, I don't remember if they both appeared at once to help you navigate, but probably so.

You had to fight various monsters, among them snakes, and you could pick up items and equip or use them, as I recall. You could even find snake eggs, and sometimes they were in the process of hatching, so you either had to drop or eat them to stop them from producing another snake that'd attack or hurt you somehow.

This was probably a shareware or demo version I played, since only the first few levels or so of the complex was available to play in. I think you could gather gems, either to use directly or in some kind of puzzles. I don't recall exactly what weaponry you had, but I think you could use slingshots.

Edit: Oh, and I don't think it had a heavy fantasy emphasis, it seemed almost to take place in modern times, but that could just be a faulty memory of mine.

Some details are wrong but being from memory it could be Dungeon Master 2. Gems were a higher form of currency and there was an overhead/front view. Wasn't very modern though although there was a cryostasis area where you chose your party members.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 8, 2011