Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

wafflesnsegways posted:

Is having writers an evil thing? It doesn't seem so bad to me. Why not work with people. Chris Rock definitely has a style and point of view that's his, so it's not like he's some kind of puppet for the real genius behind the scenes.

I don't think so, but Maron also puts down comics that 'just tell jokes' like Anthony Jeselnik so who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

wafflesnsegways posted:

Is having writers an evil thing? It doesn't seem so bad to me. Why not work with people. Chris Rock definitely has a style and point of view that's his, so it's not like he's some kind of puppet for the real genius behind the scenes.

Alot of Pryor's material was written in tandem with Paul Mooney, and Pryor is/was still amazing.

Kinda like a Bernie Taupin/Elton John thing.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

wafflesnsegways posted:

Theres a story from somewhere that for one of Chris Rock's specials he got a 250k advance or something and just paid Louis CK and 2 other comics 50k each to sit in a room for 2 weeks and they wrote the whole special together.

I can't remember when/where I heard it from but it doesn't sound that bad to just have guys to bounce stuff around instead of working/tweaking something for 8 months etc etc potentially bombing on crowds when you're that big.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

-Atom- posted:

I don't think so, but Maron also puts down comics that 'just tell jokes' like Anthony Jeselnik so who knows!

Except Maron talked Jeselnick up when he was on wtf, and Maron seems to be a fan of his comedy.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Speaking of Paul Mooney, I'm seeing him tonight and I'm really excited.

I think Maron respects joke writers and the purity of the art form, and in the WTF episode with Jeselnik, Marc was blown away by the number of punchlines Jeselnik had/has to come up with for Jimmy Kimmel Live on a daily basis. Also, I downloaded Jeselnik's album from Amazon for only $5 a month ago, and it's great. Go get it.

The big thing with Maron though -- and he's said this a few times -- is he has a hard time "getting" stand-ups that aren't emotional bare like him. He says if he can't "get a sense" of the performer on stage, then he's turned off by the act.

Edit: Last night Paul Mooney came out, sat on a stool, and did an hour and forty-five minutes!

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O0Id1S9VgUM/TrP28EKT77I/AAAAAAAALkw/-BenXiBC5aU/s800/IMG_1449edit.jpg

substitute fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 4, 2011

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Speaking of Paul Mooney, late one night I was skateboarding in Hollywood and Paul Mooney almost ran me over as he pulled out of a KFC. I saw who it was and just gave him a thumbs up. Was awesome.

ALso is there any way to listen to the WTF with Maria Bamford? Or would I have to pay to get access?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Bunk Rogers posted:

Sends you here:

http://www.gosuperego.com/mentalist-holmes-crooch/

11 minutes of uncut audio they say.

I found the rest!

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
This was a few weeks ago, but TCGTE's "Hamburgers" episode was hilarious. I love their stories so much.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Tim's story about getting hit by a cab while in a burger frenzy is top notch.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Mohr's podcast with Patrice was really sad. Nobody could break down a subject in a funny way like Patrice, sigh.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

soggybagel posted:

ALso is there any way to listen to the WTF with Maria Bamford? Or would I have to pay to get access?

There's a sneaky way to backdoor his poo poo through libsyn or something that's been posted a couple times, but I have no clue what it is.

It's a pretty crazy interview. She's had some serious mental health issues in the past. Definitely makes her a little less cutesy, but not any less funny.

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

Loving Life Partner posted:

Mohr's podcast with Patrice was really sad. Nobody could break down a subject in a funny way like Patrice, sigh.

I really hope he comes back, but at this point it's looking pretty bleak.

He really had a unique voice.

Imagine a weekly "Black Philip" podcast?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

dancehall posted:

This was a few weeks ago, but TCGTE's "Hamburgers" episode was hilarious. I love their stories so much.

They make fun of Andy Rooney in their Listener Mail episode, he died 5 days after.

Murderers!!!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Slotducks posted:

They make fun of Andy Rooney in their Listener Mail episode, he died 5 days after.

Murderers!!!

Reminds me of the night I killed Richard Nixon.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Goddamn... it took me too long to put this episode out.

Lou Reads from Fetlife... it was gross...

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Hey guess what guys Eardop is back! :geno:

Earwolf blog posted:

We’re excited to announce the return of Eardrop! What was once loved as a daily podcast and uncensored comedian voice messaging service, has been revamped into an entirely new service. This time around, we’re bringing Eardrop to the people. Soon…very soon, we’ll be releasing a new Eardrop mobile app. The app will let anyone share their voice messages online. With Twitter and the new Eardrop app, you’ll be able to leave your own audio “drops.” Audio fun for all your Twitter followers to enjoy. All instant. All online.

See and listen to the drops all instantly at https://www.eardrop.fm and/or from your followers’ tweets.

Over the next several weeks, a select group of highly trained volunteers will be helping us with our closed beta testing of the new Eardrop app and site. Along the way, you may start to see a few drops making their way through the series of tubes to your computers and phones.

Earwolf hosts, guests and friends will continue to leave drops for fans. This time you’ll be able to see them instantly online. The Eardrop podcast will live on! Each day after the public launch of Eardrop, we’re going to release their top drops as the daily Eardrop podcast.

In the coming weeks, be on the lookout for drops from our unbelievably highly-trained testing team, friends and favorite performers and personalities. And soon – very soon – you…yes, YOU will be able to know the awesome glory of the new Eardrop. Okay…that may have been an overstatement, but trust us. It is going to be pretty cool.

Call me a pessimist but I'm expecting this to fizzle out just like the original Eardrop did. Hopefully we'll get some funny stuff before that happens though.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Binowru posted:

Hey guess what guys Eardop is back! :geno:

Call me a pessimist but I'm expecting this to fizzle out just like the original Eardrop did. Hopefully we'll get some funny stuff before that happens though.

I just wish they would go back to doing what they were doing. I feel like a lot of the comedians who were regularly calling kept getting bad feedback so they called less. I specifically recall Tom Lennon mentioning that people were complaining that he called too much, if only those douchebags wouldn't have complained we would still have tons of awesome comedy happening.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I just hope they put a moratorium on "airport sounds" and Steve Agee.

edit: and Doug Benson plugs

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

quote:

Over the next several weeks, a select group of highly trained volunteers will be helping us

Hey, I'm one of those!

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

King Lou posted:

God drat it Lou

God drat it

I can handle a lot and I even made it through the cumonfood but I already feel a lump in my throat listening to all this poo poo eating talk.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Combo posted:

God drat it Lou

God drat it

I can handle a lot and I even made it through the cumonfood but I already feel a lump in my throat listening to all this poo poo eating talk.

Another person just told me they were having trouble not puking in their car on the way home. Sorry? Its a fine line between recording boring stuff and stuff that makes people want to die. I also had someone complain it wasn't long enough...

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

King Lou posted:

Another person just told me they were having trouble not puking in their car on the way home. Sorry? Its a fine line between recording boring stuff and stuff that makes people want to die. I also had someone complain it wasn't long enough...

Oh I made it all the way through, I'm just not sure how. Good job as always though.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

The biggest problem seemed to be that Steve Agee insulted Tom Lennon so much that he stopped calling in, despite the fact that Lennon's calls were much funnier than Agee's.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

King Lou posted:

loving surreal. Hadn't listened to any of your other eps... guess I might check them out...

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

King Lou posted:

If anything could top cum on food this would be it. I'm in for a treat when I get home.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Dave Attell is on Bill Burr's latest Monday Morning Podcast. It's worth a listen.

http://www.billburr.com/podcast/MMPC_NOV_7.mp3

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

FitFortDanga posted:

Welp http://eardrop.fm/shahruz_/133753293561282561

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

King Lou posted:

Jesus gently caress, dude. I've never actually gagged from an audio stimulation before. Needless to say, work was fun today. Thank you!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Air Julio posted:

Jesus gently caress, dude. I've never actually gagged from an audio stimulation before. Needless to say, work was fun today. Thank you!

You're... welcome?

I just recorded a guest spot on the "Terrible Friends" podcast. More info when they release it, I reckon.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
This week's Mike and Tom Eat Snacks is pretty amazing! If you're not listening to it, this is a good week to start.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Here's an interview with Scott Aukerman and Paul F. Tompkins in between the Bumbershoot shows that someone posted over on AST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHMThJ29NE0

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I love PFT throwing out props to Uatu.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Here's an interview with Scott Aukerman and Paul F. Tompkins in between the Bumbershoot shows that someone posted over on AST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHMThJ29NE0

I still picture Paul F. Tompkins as his youger pudgy self from Mr. Show and I'm always taken aback by his new look. He looks like Kevin Kline now.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I love that PFT knows the difference between an acronym and an initalisation.
Also Scot Aukerman is so cagey it's kind of hilarious.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also Scot Aukerman is so cagey it's kind of hilarious.

I was just about to comment on this. Has all of this "fame" gotten to Saucerman's head or is he just naturally kind of a jerk?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Lord Wexia posted:

I was just about to comment on this. Has all of this "fame" gotten to Saucerman's head or is he just naturally kind of a jerk?

He seems like a guy who could be a little jerky naturally but when I met him he was nothing but pleasant.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I forget what other podcast I heard him on, but he told a lot of stories that mostly revolved around him being a big shot and firing people. He reminds me of some of my friends, who are cool people with some rear end in a top hat tendencies.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Lemmi Caution posted:

I still picture Paul F. Tompkins as his youger pudgy self from Mr. Show and I'm always taken aback by his new look. He looks like Kevin Kline now.

I'll stand by the claim that he's channeling Mark Twain (fantastically too).

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Where do these Judge John Hodgman guests come from? A 47 year old man goes by the nickname of Pippin? Really?

I wonder how many normal people they weed out every week to talk to only the most insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lemmi Caution posted:

I went to a meeting with one of our technology suppliers last week and the guy presenting looked EXACTLY like Mr Show era PFT. I mean, EXACTLY. It was incredibly distracting - I'm in the UK so I suspect no-one else in the room would have been thinking the same thing.

Edit: Also, Auckerman actually looks a bit uncomfortable there - I guess he's not often on that side of an interview.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 11, 2011

• Locked thread