Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Kegwen posted:

Ducky DK-9008 Shine Mechanical Keyboard: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-ducky-dk-9008-shine-mechanical-keyboard-glow-dark-duck

I hope you hate money.

This is definitely for the keyboard thread, but yeah there are so few backlit mechanical keyboards that you essentially have to choose between mechanical switches and backlighting. The Ducky keyboard that Kegwen posted is a recent godsend, since I'm pretty sure you can get it in any switch type. Also, it's not some retarded ~gAm3R k3yb0arD~.

Before that came along, the options were:
Mionix: green lighting, black switches. Looks good.
Razer: blue lighting, blue or brown switches. lovely layout and blue switch option is shiny. QC issues abound.
Deck: I don't even know because it's the ugliest keyboard ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Corsair MMO/RTS focused keyboard that's coming out has backlighting and cherry red mx switches.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

$100, 90 years old, solid oak (elm drawer sliders) and a faint smell of pickles...

e: death to flat-pack particleboard

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Fermented Tinal posted:

$100, 90 years old, solid oak (elm drawer sliders) and a faint smell of pickles...

how much does it weigh?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Not as much as you might think, only took two people to lift it into the house. If I had to guess I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 140lbs at the most.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

HandsomeBen posted:

Is that a Das Keyboard? I really want a mechanical keyboard but finding one with backlighting that doesn't suck is proving difficult. Was thinking about just getting a Das.

The Razer one is great.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Good looking but tragically small, particularly legroom wise.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So this is actually my office desk, but I've tried my best to make it feel like home. I used to work upstairs in a cubicle setup with low walls and 6 chatty women. There was this room in the basement that was unused but quite dreary - gray tiles, dusty, and a few dozen boxes of paper stacked on tables. So I cleared all that out, took the company credit card to Ikea, and did the place up all nice.

I really like darker environments to work in, in terms of lighting, so I just have three incandescent lamps around. There are also three half sized windows for natural light.

As for the desk, it's an Ikea galant with a square extension on the left and small round extension on the right. The computer is a few weeks old, a 27" iMac which replaced nearly the same 27" iMac from a year ago - except this time, with a SSD built in.

I've also been using the magic trackpad for about two weeks. I hated and despised it the first three days, but now it's completely natural.

Allistar
Feb 14, 2002

Regulation, aisle 8. Nerf, aisle 15.

Kegwen posted:

Ducky DK-9008 Shine Mechanical Keyboard: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-ducky-dk-9008-shine-mechanical-keyboard-glow-dark-duck

I hope you hate money.

I received my Ducky Shine this week as well. My first mechanical keyboard (I chose Cherry MX Browns) but I LOVE IT. Never going back to rubber dome, actually thinking of buying one to use at work.

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.

Allistar posted:

I received my Ducky Shine this week as well. My first mechanical keyboard (I chose Cherry MX Browns) but I LOVE IT. Never going back to rubber dome, actually thinking of buying one to use at work.

Do it. There's no turning back.

I bought my first mechanical keyboard less than three months ago. I've now somehow managed to spend almost $1,000 replacing all of my keyboards at home and at work with mechanical ones.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I blagged myself a mechanical keyboard for work too. Got a Razor Black Widow, and it's very, very nice. The macro function has proven very useful, but even without that, it's so wonderful to type on something that feels somehow...proper.

I learned to type on what I think were IBM Model M keyboards hooked up to mainframes in the '80s (my Dad's wonderful idea to keep me busy while he worked), and it takes me back to those days.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Steakandchips posted:

Good looking but tragically small, particularly legroom wise.

Large desks are clutter magnets and at 6'3" I don't have an issue with legroom.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Your desk isn't exactly free of clutter.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's my work setup. We use Versatables so we can roll them away when we have events.

I probably spend just as much time working on my laptop from this island though:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

powderific posted:

I probably spend just as much time working on my laptop from this island though:

Where do you work? That building looks fantastic!:swoon:

JudasIscariot
Oct 22, 2003

Little kids do it best

My work computer, when I get home I will take a picture of that. I have a stack of hard drives to look at it :(

I have another monitor over on my spare desk, but I was using it to reimage a computer.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Where do you work? That building looks fantastic!:swoon:

Yeah, we adore the building. It's a small advertising agency. Originally, it was the office for a huge beer depot that eventually burned down. The previous tenant/current owner is an architecture firm; they put in a nice set of lofted offices, the island, and a conference room. Here it is from the outside:

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Kegwen posted:

I hope you hate money.

Where does one buy this beautiful masterpiece?

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

Edward IV posted:

What cabinet is that? Can't read the label.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Lilleput posted:

What cabinet is that? Can't read the label.

You mean the desktop case? It's a LIAN LI PC-V351B.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112222

JudasIscariot
Oct 22, 2003

Little kids do it best

JudasIscariot posted:

My work computer, when I get home I will take a picture of that. I have a stack of hard drives to look at it :(

I have another monitor over on my spare desk, but I was using it to reimage a computer.

My wife made me the actual desk for her wedding gift to me.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
I've been tasked with finding a desk for a datacenter. The only two conditions are that it has to be tall enough that we can stand while we work on it, and it has to have some way of hiding the workstations that we'll be using. I found the Profile Genesys after a few minutes of googling, but I'd love some goon input.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

JudasIscariot posted:

Love you until the end.

I take it she means death, not divorce. Deliberate ambiguity?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

KingEup posted:

Love you until the end.

I take it she means death, not divorce. Deliberate ambiguity?

Well you never want any strings attached.

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

Poopelyse posted:

Just moved in yesterday.

Psh, what is cable management?

Is that a Rambo Collector plate?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa. Déjà vu.

To be fair, that's exactly what I'd ask too if I saw that photo first.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I just bought a whole gallant, does it come with the Allen wrenches?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Tab8715 posted:

Yes.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Tab8715 posted:

As much as I love my galant, putting together Ikea furniture infuriates me, and if it didn't come with the allen wrenches, I think I would have lost my poo poo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Tab8715 posted:

It does, but if you have a power screwdriver you should go down to the hardware store and pick up a set of hex and square drive bits. That plus using wood glue for things like dressers is what keeps me sane when assembling Ikea furniture.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

JudasIscariot posted:

Living Like poo poo

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side

CubanRefugee posted:

As much as I love my galant, putting together Ikea furniture infuriates me, and if it didn't come with the allen wrenches, I think I would have lost my poo poo.

Their instructions are total crap! But maaan Galants are awesome!

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

powderific posted:

Here's my work setup. We use Versatables so we can roll them away when we have events.

how do you like those, they look amazing...

I guess what I really want is a jerker/fredrik, but I can't find any of the swing-arm speaker attachments for the fredrik.

http://www.versatables.com/pages/products/office/vc4824.php
^^Do Want.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We've been really happy with them so far. The biggest issue we had was with shipping. It took waaay longer than they claimed for it to ship every time we've ordered (three times of a few year period) and one shipment had been dropped on the corners or something as they had damage.

It's a flexible, no frills, super sturdy desk and that's exactly what we were looking for.

powderific fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 8, 2011

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

CubanRefugee posted:

Putting mine together wasn't too bad, it just took a long time. I forgot about my cable organizer until I was all done and just kinda went "Well gently caress that". It's still sitting in the bag next to my desk.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I literally cannot comprehend how people can say Ikea furniture is hard to put together. Hard to keep whole after several disassembles/reassembles sure, but hard to put together initially? I don't get it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

HKR posted:

I literally cannot comprehend how people can say Ikea furniture is hard to put together. Hard to keep whole after several disassembles/reassembles sure, but hard to put together initially? I don't get it.

Pictures are hard man.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

HKR posted:

No one ever said that it was hard to do, especially considering that the galant is 4 legs, a frame, and a tabletop. I'm just not a fan of putting together furniture. The whole process of putting together my galant took me about 15 minutes, and most of that was making sure my A-legs were all at the same height.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
do they really start falling apart after breaking it down once or twice? modularity (was) a big reason I was looking at getting mostly an entire set of furniture there. I move around a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

thrawn86 posted:

do they really start falling apart after breaking it down once or twice? modularity (was) a big reason I was looking at getting mostly an entire set of furniture there. I move around a lot.

I have rebuilt my Fredrick desk like 8 times moving it around various places. Still solid as a rock.