Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Wow. The default MegaMek is amazing... 35 Linebackers vs 1 UrbanMech. How can it possibly need to take any time at all on the Linebackers calculating "Target Urbanmech. Is weapon in range? Fire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

[e]Sorry if that bit about my computer seemed condescending. It wasn't meant that way - my computer didn't chug at all. I suspect I could have played Dead Space 2 with the graphics all up while MM was grinding through its decisions. It did, however, take something like half an hour to arrive at that first shooting round. I think I can get that down with some AI settings. This isn't rocket science - move towards target, pull trigger. Even 8/8 pilots can figure that out.
Slightly off-topic but this isn't really suprising. The graphics in Dead Space 2 are going to be using a totally different core or cores to whatever core or cores is running the background of megamek. Wether or not the non-graphical portions of Dead Space 2 get any CPU time is going to depend on how the processes are prioritised.

Protip: individual initiative.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Okay, here's the trick. If you turn on Individual Initiative, Megamek runs infinitely faster with a bot.

The reason is the bot tries to select the best unit to move every time it gets to move, so an increase in units provides an exponential increase in CPU demand. I've played Megamek against a bot with 50+ units on a really lovely laptop using this trick. So basically, if you're fighting a bot, always use Individual Init.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I was using the force-bot-to-use-individual initiative setting. I shudder to imagine what it would've been like without it.

Anyway, the battle was over after three rounds. Though it took the Derpbacks a lot of tries, the Streak SRM proved beyond a shadow of a doubt it's the absolute best weapon to give to somebody who doesn't have a goddamn clue what he's doing in the cockpit of a BattleMech. Urbiezilla didn't manage to take anybody with him, though every time he fired, he scored a Direct Blow and hosed someone's armor up.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

MJ12 posted:

Okay, here's the trick. If you turn on Individual Initiative, Megamek runs infinitely faster with a bot.

The reason is the bot tries to select the best unit to move every time it gets to move, so an increase in units provides an exponential increase in CPU demand. I've played Megamek against a bot with 50+ units on a really lovely laptop using this trick. So basically, if you're fighting a bot, always use Individual Init.

Well, that's news to me. Thanks for the information.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I can hardly wait for the first turn. This looks like such a fun scenario, with a probability of disaster. :ohdear:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Just waiting on our alternate now (and if AtlantisMantis times out, Shadow Gamer will be up next, and then Guitar_Hero (who I know is around)). I just want to give AtlantisMantis a little time, so he has until tomorrow before Shadow Gamer comes up.

And yes, Shadowdragon, I'm skipping you. You wanted Luthien, you've got Luthien. Mwahahaha (but no, really, you'll have fun with it).

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just waiting on our alternate now (and if AtlantisMantis times out, Shadow Gamer will be up next, and then Guitar_Hero (who I know is around)). I just want to give AtlantisMantis a little time, so he has until tomorrow before Shadow Gamer comes up.

And yes, Shadowdragon, I'm skipping you. You wanted Luthien, you've got Luthien. Mwahahaha (but no, really, you'll have fun with it).

I remember, and I'm cool with that. I pushed for Luthien hard, after all. Heck, I didn't even think I'd be in line to get it, but I pushed for it 'cause I thought it needed to be seen.

Anyway, as regards Urbanmechs and Linebackers, I've discovered that with the deck sufficiently stacked, a lone Urbie can and will annihilate an arbitrary number of Linebacker-Ds. Specifically, I made it a Mixtech Urbanmech with a Null Signature System and Chameleon LPS, 3/5/3 with Clan XL engine, Clan ERPPC, and an ATM-3 with one ton of HE ammo. It had a 0/0 god pilot with all possible advantages, and every positive quirk on itself and both of its weapons, including Improved Cooling Jacket and a Battle Computer. The enemy team were 8/8 retards, gimped by having a "Ballistic" gunnery specialty (which penalized missiles and lasers, their only weapons,) with every negative quirk on their 'mechs and weapons.

They never managed to actually fire off a shot, while the Urbie just bounced around, squeezing off cERPPC shots and foomp-foomping with its ATMs, throwing kicks at every opportunity. Heat was an issue, I had to dial back the ERPPC's output a few times, but with that rule that you can dial back an energy weapon's output to dial back its heat, I never had to actually pass on firing it.

So there is something that 35 sufficiently retarded Linebackers can't kill: a sufficiently godlike Urbanmech.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I remember, and I'm cool with that. I pushed for Luthien hard, after all. Heck, I didn't even think I'd be in line to get it, but I pushed for it 'cause I thought it needed to be seen.

Anyway, as regards Urbanmechs and Linebackers, I've discovered that with the deck sufficiently stacked, a lone Urbie can and will annihilate an arbitrary number of Linebacker-Ds. Specifically, I made it a Mixtech Urbanmech with a Null Signature System and Chameleon LPS, 3/5/3 with Clan XL engine, Clan ERPPC, and an ATM-3 with one ton of HE ammo. It had a 0/0 god pilot with all possible advantages, and every positive quirk on itself and both of its weapons, including Improved Cooling Jacket and a Battle Computer. The enemy team were 8/8 retards, gimped by having a "Ballistic" gunnery specialty (which penalized missiles and lasers, their only weapons,) with every negative quirk on their 'mechs and weapons.

They never managed to actually fire off a shot, while the Urbie just bounced around, squeezing off cERPPC shots and foomp-foomping with its ATMs, throwing kicks at every opportunity. Heat was an issue, I had to dial back the ERPPC's output a few times, but with that rule that you can dial back an energy weapon's output to dial back its heat, I never had to actually pass on firing it.

So there is something that 35 sufficiently retarded Linebackers can't kill: a sufficiently godlike Urbanmech.

This doesn't seem like a very useful test. If it's a case of "I just wanted to see if it could be done" then that's one thing, I'm not saying you can't do that. But anything where you have to stack things that far in one direction is effectively a useless test IMO. It doesn't tell anyone anything of any note.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

These long waits for that one player before every mission gave me some time to think... Wouldn't it be prudent not to wait until a battle is completely over to inform the next four or five people in line that their turn might soon be coming up? I realize that it's not possible to know exactly how many players you will need before a vote is decided, but it's not like you're wasting a lot of your and their time just by requesting a short 'Yes, I'm still alive.'-confirmation!

That way, a single weak link in the chain would be less liable to bring the entire thread to a screeching halt for days on end.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

This doesn't seem like a very useful test. If it's a case of "I just wanted to see if it could be done" then that's one thing, I'm not saying you can't do that. But anything where you have to stack things that far in one direction is effectively a useless test IMO. It doesn't tell anyone anything of any note.

It was more or less just to see if it could be done. It was amusing, but I don't think I'd trust an AI-controlled Urbie to get the same results. It'd probably overheat and have an ammosplosion.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
From what I've seen, the AI avoids overheating like the plague.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gimmick Account posted:

That way, a single weak link in the chain would be less liable to bring the entire thread to a screeching halt for days on end.

Except I go in the order people appear on the front page; and while I know you goons don't enjoy waiting, I'm not going to take it on myself to herd cats because I know the moment I try I'm going to get assaulted by "well, I was out of town / whatever and you should've waited waaah!" crybaby antics. I also don't know how the fights are going to go in advance, and I can't always anticipate when they're going to end (because Battletech, and dice fickleness could cause a 'certain victory' to drag on over 5-10 extra turns) so it's not as though I can really send out E-Mails before they end.

I know the waiting sucks, but I really don't have any way to be entirely certain whether a goon is active in advance. If you're not watching your PM / E-Mail / This thread and don't know your turn's come and gone, tough poo poo.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 8, 2011

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Quick and possibly stupid question; is it too late to give an email address to be put on the list of future mechwarriors?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The list is still open.

VVV You're already on my list, I just haven't updated the front page yet.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 8, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

The list is still open.

Might as well throw me up there. I have PMs.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Awesome! I'd like to apply then.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 9, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been on the fence about it since my situation with my computer is always a little touch-and-go but things should now be set and I definitely won't be disappearing on the thread without a good amount of fair warning.

Sign me up for Mechwarriorin' too

I should probably warn everyone I have undue fondness for :black101:physical combat:black101: that overrides what normally passes for whatever tactical sensibility I might normally have. What sensibility I do have is unpolished and based solely on the obvious bits about the game's principles. And DFA.

But on the topic of Headpunching, will TSM get invented in the AU timeline any time soon?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Just finished reading the thread and would like to be on the list as well if I can, forsterjustin@yahoo.com.au!
I just tried a map with similar forces and actually lost quite badly, with some awful, awful luck. It should be interesting to see how the players go about it

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

You know, I might as well also sign up. Getting to blunder my way through a scenario sounds like a pretty good time. I have pm's.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Except I go in the order people appear on the front page; and while I know you goons don't enjoy waiting, I'm not going to take it on myself to herd cats because I know the moment I try I'm going to get assaulted by "well, I was out of town / whatever and you should've waited waaah!" crybaby antics. I also don't know how the fights are going to go in advance, and I can't always anticipate when they're going to end (because Battletech, and dice fickleness could cause a 'certain victory' to drag on over 5-10 extra turns) so it's not as though I can really send out E-Mails before they end.

I know the waiting sucks, but I really don't have any way to be entirely certain whether a goon is active in advance. If you're not watching your PM / E-Mail / This thread and don't know your turn's come and gone, tough poo poo.

Oh, it was just a suggestion; I don't think anyone's truly unhappy about it, seeing as this thread has come to double as a generic BattleTech discussion center whenever things slow down.

I have one question concerning the player list. * denotes a received e-mail address, while (X) means that the player has taken their turn. What is the significance of (R), (S) and (T)?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gimmick Account posted:

Oh, it was just a suggestion; I don't think anyone's truly unhappy about it, seeing as this thread has come to double as a generic BattleTech discussion center whenever things slow down.

I have one question concerning the player list. * denotes a received e-mail address, while (X) means that the player has taken their turn. What is the significance of (R), (S) and (T)?

I forget what the (R) stands for, since I'm not using that on my personal master list. It's probably indentical to (S).

(S) is a 'pass.' Meaning, the player has let me know they're not around or won't be able to be a pilot. They get first priority if or when they return.

(T) is a time-out. They missed their turn and didn't tell me they were away or busy or dead. They do NOT get any special treatment if they come back, even if they ask nicely. They missed their opportunity to play.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

The list is still open.

Cool. Add me to the list too, then.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I know nothing about battletech besides what I've read in this thread, can I play? :unsmith:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I know nothing about battletech besides what I've read in this thread, can I play? :unsmith:

Absolutely. BattleTech is the gift that everybody should get a chance to enjoy.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Well then sign me up! I have PMs.

EDIT: that could have been bad if i didn't catch that my last 's' was capitalized

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Could I also get added to the list? I have some experience with Battletech, mainly due to this thread (Which also was a big prompter of my registration).

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 10, 2011

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
I don't think I ever actually signed up either, so I'll do that. I have plat, so PMs should work.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I forget what the (R) stands for, since I'm not using that on my personal master list. It's probably indentical to (S).

(S) is a 'pass.' Meaning, the player has let me know they're not around or won't be able to be a pilot. They get first priority if or when they return.

(T) is a time-out. They missed their turn and didn't tell me they were away or busy or dead. They do NOT get any special treatment if they come back, even if they ask nicely. They missed their opportunity to play.

On that note, I have a brand new Clan XL Monitor for my computer, so I'm up and running again with half again the screen real estate and half the heat. So you can take me off the reserve.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
I thought I signed up months ago, but I didn't.

Please sign me up, I've got PMs.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You haven't experienced gaming joy until you have headshot the other guys heavy mech with your tiny little light scout. The tears Battletech produces are joyful and nourishing.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Might as well get in on this new wave of sign-ups. I have PMs.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
Been lurking this thread awhile, might as well get in on the fun.

email is cordwell@gmail.com

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
Please toss my name on the list as well!

email is seekerwithin@gmail.com

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Welcome to the list of pilots everyone! May you headcap before being headcapped.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Remember, that mech is worth more than you. So try to die horribly screaming loudly with the least amount of damage to the important part (the mech).

On the flip side, aim for the meat, save the metal. :mw2mercs:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You can play, and part of why this thread is here is to spread the joy of Giant Robots Punching Each Other. I know there's a ton of folks here who would love to rant for as long as needed on game tutorials for those who need it!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I guess it's time for me to add my name to the pilot list. I have E-mail soylentpudding@gmail.com.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Hey why not, I'll add my name to the list.

e-mail: Brendon_Cain@hotmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam500
Mar 27, 2010
Eh, I've been lurking long enough. Add me to the list.

Adarkm07@yahoo.com

• Locked thread