Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Lone Rogue posted:

This makes me think about Triple H's sledgehammer. Ask most people and they'll tell you it's fake. Triple H once reported that it's a real sledgehammer and the one time they used a prop sledgehammer so he could actually hit someone with it, it injured them. Since then he just covers his hand on the sledge and hits people, or always misses with a swing.

When have people used fake weapons? Wasn't some of the barbed wire in the Cactus Jack / HHH feud fake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

triplexpac posted:

When have people used fake weapons? Wasn't some of the barbed wire in the Cactus Jack / HHH feud fake?

I know Foley said in one of his books they always have 2 barbed wire bats. Real for the back and arm shots, fake for the face shots.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I remember right they only used the faked barbed fire for his street fight against Triple H (and only used it on Triple H, Foley got the real deal), and afterwards Triple H said he regretted not going with the real thing because nobody really brought the fake and it looked pretty bad.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

This makes me think about Triple H's sledgehammer. Ask most people and they'll tell you it's fake. Triple H once reported that it's a real sledgehammer and the one time they used a prop sledgehammer so he could actually hit someone with it, it injured them. Since then he just covers his hand on the sledge and hits people, or always misses with a swing.

Was the fake sledge the time he hit Shawn across the back with it?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been out of the loop, but with the tour of England did all the English superstars job?

Was Regal on the tour?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right they only used the faked barbed fire for his street fight against Triple H (and only used it on Triple H, Foley got the real deal), and afterwards Triple H said he regretted not going with the real thing because nobody really brought the fake and it looked pretty bad.

And apparently it still hurt like hell. Sandman has said that rubber-coated barbed wire is almost worse than the real thing.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

I've been out of the loop, but with the tour of England did all the English superstars job?

Was Regal on the tour?

There weren't any English superstars on Raw, unless Mason Ryan counts as "close enough" like WWE seems to think. And even then, he didn't job; squashed JTG in like 30 seconds. William Regal hasn't been on Raw or Smackdown in ages, but he apparently worked a house show or two on the tour.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Was the fake sledge the time he hit Shawn across the back with it?

I'd guess so, because I remember thinking so at the time. I think there was a shot of Triple H leaning on it, and whatever it was made of had too much give and was bending under his weight in a way that the real thing wouldn't.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Was the one he messed up Undertaker with real or fake?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

triplexpac posted:

In WCW, Hacksaw Jim Duggan once came out with a fake 2x4. I think it was made of foam or something, it had a twist in it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Was the one he messed up Undertaker with real or fake?

I dunno, it looks like he hit him with his hand. Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLUyT97AuG0&t=529s

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 9, 2011

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

flashy_mcflash posted:

For some reason, when I started watching (build to Wrestlemania 4), I thought/knew that the in-ring part was fake, but I thought all the backstage stuff was real (I was 7). The fact that they had Jack Tunney and all this official looking controversy about the title and it being vacant definitely cemented that opinion. I never thought Jack Tunney would lie to me :(

Thank you for this post, because this actually seems to get at how I felt about it, too. I basically had absorbed the idea from reading MAD Magazine at a very early age that wrestling was fake, so I assumed a lot of the time that the punching was real and the like. Then I remember seeing Damien biting Randy Savage and suddenly I no longer had any idea what to think, because DAMIEN WAS BITING RANDY SAVAGE.

But yeah, things like "official-looking men talking seriously about title controversies" seemed completely legitimate.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

I kinda want to see RAW in New Orleans now just so I can see chants of "WHO DAT?!"
They actually did that already. I remember hearing them chanting that and wondering what the hell they were talking about.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think I knew it was fake for a time before I started watching, but I wasn't clear on the idea- like, were they trying to con people and make us think it was real or what. But- confession time- I saw the infamous "Wrestling Secrets Revealed" TV special or whatever it was called, and that straightened it out for me- "Oh, okay, it's scripted but everyone knows it now and the guys still get hurt some."

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think I knew it was fake for a time before I started watching, but I wasn't clear on the idea- like, were they trying to con people and make us think it was real or what. But- confession time- I saw the infamous "Wrestling Secrets Revealed" TV special or whatever it was called, and that straightened it out for me- "Oh, okay, it's scripted but everyone knows it now and the guys still get hurt some."

You mean this? A classic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box posted:

You mean this? A classic.

That's the one. For a long time I thought that was sort of the official "end of kayfabe", only to discover later that it was a more gradual transition.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
My older sister took great pleasure in pointing out everything that "looked fake" every time I watched pro wrestling as a kid to try and ruin the experience for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The most important thing learned in that was that Harvey Race can do what ever the gently caress he wants.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Quarex posted:

Then I remember seeing Damien biting Randy Savage and suddenly I no longer had any idea what to think, because DAMIEN WAS BITING RANDY SAVAGE.
It was a king cobra that bit the Macho Man, Damien was already gone after what Earthquake did. The weird part of the story is that the cobra DIED within a few days...probably couldn't handle the Madness.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the one. For a long time I thought that was sort of the official "end of kayfabe", only to discover later that it was a more gradual transition.

I think Beyond the Mat was probably the leading cause of the end of kayfabe.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The silliest "fake" argument I've heard is how YOU CAN SEE THEM PUT THEIR HANDS UP right before taking a chairshot to the head. Like blocking it wouldn't be the most realistic reaction? I'll vouch for the "blood capsule" and "fake chair" theories being common as well.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

My older sister took great pleasure in pointing out everything that "looked fake" every time I watched pro wrestling as a kid to try and ruin the experience for me.

My sister used to do the same until Diesel or Shawn Michaels came onto the TV, then she would :swoon:. She also stole the Diesel poster from my WWF Magazine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Minidust posted:

The silliest "fake" argument I've heard is how YOU CAN SEE THEM PUT THEIR HANDS UP right before taking a chairshot to the head. Like blocking it wouldn't be the most realistic reaction? I'll vouch for the "blood capsule" and "fake chair" theories being common as well.

We then learned what happened when you take unprotected chair shots. I would say it was also Russo who helped to break Kayface

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

We then learned what happened when you take unprotected chair shots.

I'm honestly surprised how many indie workers I still see taking unprotected chair shots.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I started watching at age 12 and always knew it was fake.

Wrestling With Shadows, Wrestling Secrets Revealed, and The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling pretty much killed any remaining kayfabe shortly after.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
My parents never really wanted me watching it, especially my mom. Eventually, my dad relented and sat me down to tell me about how fake it was. Apparently my dad had done work with varying Tennessee-based feds in the '80s as a cameraman and video production assistant, and he knew a lot of the wrestlers and managers. I got to learn about a ton of the tricks of the trade and was probably hell to talk to in the eyes of the other kids that just wanted to believe, but oh well. I still had flashes of "OH poo poo THAT'S TOTALLY REAL"

Also my mom was working as a general assistant in one of the feds, and some territory star that went nowhere tried to get her as a ring rat. Yyyyup.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

DannoMack posted:

My older brother did the same to me when I was 8, at first I didn't want to believe him but then I watched Ultimate Warrior versus a local jobber on SNME one night and the jobber would drop and sell Warrior's clotheslines like a foot before his forearm even came into contact with him. That pretty much sealed it for me.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Minidust posted:

Blood capsules are used if you're supposed to be bleeding from the mouth to sell a beatdown. At least that's what I was taught anyway.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LvK posted:

Also my mom was working as a general assistant in one of the feds, and some territory star that went nowhere tried to get her as a ring rat. Yyyyup.

Was it Wildfire Tommy Rich?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

thesteelhellion posted:

Blood capsules are used if you're supposed to be bleeding from the mouth to sell a beatdown. At least that's what I was taught anyway.

Blood Capsules are used for "internal bleeding", because nobody except Sabu is going ot intentionaly give himself internal bleeding, to further an angle.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Tyma posted:

Blood Capsules are used for "internal bleeding", because nobody except Sabu is going ot intentionaly give himself internal bleeding, to further an angle.

It's called Shamrockitis.

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010

thesteelhellion posted:

I know one of the old school tricks is biting the lower lip or the inside of the cheek to get a bit blood flowing.

Kinda lame now, but I remember some kid punching me at school, so I bite my lip and spread the blood all over my chin. He got in lots of trouble and I celebrated my successful work. Teachers are marks and all that, I suppose.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
At least one of the wrestlers my dad worked with would score his forehead before the match and put makeup over it, so when someone punched him in the forehead it'd bust open. Never really heard of this practice since but that was my introduction to the concept of blading.

CombineThresher posted:

Was it Wildfire Tommy Rich?

Man, I have no idea and I'm not sure I want to know.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LvK posted:

At least one of the wrestlers my dad worked with would score his forehead before the match and put makeup over it, so when someone punched him in the forehead it'd bust open. Never really heard of this practice since but that was my introduction to the concept of blading.

Getting busted open from a punch is the lamest way to get busted open in wrestling.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cardboard Box posted:

Getting busted open from a punch is the lamest way to get busted open in wrestling.

Unless it's Harley Race's trick of just punching your eyebrow so hard that it splits open. Terry Funk does that, too.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

Harley Race gonna bust your eyebrow for that.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Unless it's Harley Race's trick of just punching your eyebrow so hard that it splits open. Terry Funk does that, too.

Well yeah, it's different when it's guys who would legit punch your lights out. I'm talking safe punches that most workers do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Minidust posted:

Yea I was always a fan of the 'HEH look at him try to block that shot, fuckin fake am I right?' type things. Like, can't talk about how they always just happen to be taking a big step when they give the 'big punch' and all? Nope it's the attempt to block the chair coming at your face that is the obvious fraud.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

For guys like Foley and Flair, it just kind of happens. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
I was convinced that wrestling was real when I was a kid because I saw Ric Flair make Terry Funk bleed at Clash of the Champions IX, and I was certain that nobody would actually cut themselves open and bleed all over the place as part of an act.