Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

QueerPope posted:

While we wait for 11/11/11, why don't we appreciate this wonderful thing that showed up over in the Fandom!Secrets thread.

Truly, this is the one and only true way of looking at it.

Why Jade = Reagan?

I mean, Sollux = bipartisanship and Feferi = social welfare programs are easy enough deductions to make, Karkat = leftism and Gamzee = the middle class is a bit of a stretch, and Vriska = Vriska is pretty self-evident, but Jade = Reagan just comes out of left field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Well Manicured Man posted:

Why Jade = Reagan?

I mean, Sollux = bipartisanship and Feferi = social welfare programs are easy enough deductions to make, Karkat = leftism and Gamzee = the middle class is a bit of a stretch, and Vriska = Vriska is pretty self-evident, but Jade = Reagan just comes out of left field.

They were both ultimately responsible for the creation of engines of untold destruction and ruin?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

No, I don't think so. Future Gamzee there was only 42 minutes ahead, which would put him at around the 2:30 mark on the countdown. He also makes reference to meeting some friends, being Equius and Nepeta most likely.

It really reinforces just how much all the stuff that went down is Karkat's fault. If he had just listened to Gamzee and found him right away to do the shoosh-pap moirail thing he would've saved Equius and Nepeta, stopped Gamzee from manipulating Terezi into fighting Vriska and stopped him from voodoo-chuckling John and Dave.

Karkat's honestly a pretty terrible leader.

Think of it this way: there are dozens if not hundreds of timelines in which Karkat, when talking to past Gamzee and Eridan, actually said "hey, assholes, you're going to be assholes, don't" and they took him seriously and didn't. Or timelines when he fixed Gamzee earlier! They're all doomed though, because only the timeline in which Gamzee does those chucklevoodoos on his rampage creates Cal - Doc Scratch - Lord English. Gamzee going on his rampage is directly necessary for the alpha timeline to work. Karkat literally can't help but fail, and quite probably a bunch of alternate Karkats pulled their pants up to their armpits and got poo poo done, and doomed their timelines as a result.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I don't think I'll have money for that, but I need it.

I need it.

FEdit: I suspect the first Homestuck book is actually going to be fairly easy, honestly. Act 1 had few complicated flashes and interactive scenes. Certainly some, but not as many.

Act 1 has definitely been the simplest to translate so far. I'm hoping folks'll like the way it's turned out.

(I'm the designer Hussie hired to work on the books, by the way)

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mortal Sword posted:

Act 1 has definitely been the simplest to translate so far. I'm hoping folks'll like the way it's turned out.

(I'm the designer Hussie hired to work on the books, by the way)

Neat! So the first book will just be Act 1?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is..is it pretty?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
How're the flashes translated? Is it going to be like those gimmicky birthday cards I can buy where I open a page and a quiet, tinny Sburban Countdown starts playing?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
If anyone's bipartisan it's got to be Post-Chainsaw Eridan.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Is..is it pretty?

I like the way Book 1 has turned out, but I may be biased. I'm certainly hoping it'll be received well.

The flashes are translated just like Hussie said they'd be back when he first announced the books - as sequential art. I'm not really allowed to discuss specifics before the books are out, but I certainly worked with Hussie to tackle the issue of how best to translate the more dynamic flashes to print.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Android Blues posted:

Think of it this way: there are dozens if not hundreds of timelines in which Karkat, when talking to past Gamzee and Eridan, actually said "hey, assholes, you're going to be assholes, don't" and they took him seriously and didn't. Or timelines when he fixed Gamzee earlier! They're all doomed though, because only the timeline in which Gamzee does those chucklevoodoos on his rampage creates Cal - Doc Scratch - Lord English. Gamzee going on his rampage is directly necessary for the alpha timeline to work. Karkat literally can't help but fail, and quite probably a bunch of alternate Karkats pulled their pants up to their armpits and got poo poo done, and doomed their timelines as a result.

Well, to me it comes down to the freewill vs. determinism thing that's been so predominate in Homestuck. It's obviously not purely freewill, there are some events that are set in stone and required, so the Time players will go about correcting any mistakes, but I don't really want to say that it's pure determinism either. If it was it would remove any agency from the character. You wouldn't be able to hold any character accountable for bad decisions or feel pleased when they do good, because they were required to do so or nudged that way by the Time players.

So maybe Vriska decides not to create Bec Noir in 999/1000 timelines, but the Alpha requires her to do so and things just keep piling up until she makes that choice. Kind of a lovely situation where Vriska being a good person would be expressly not allowed by paradox space.

I think that's what the Ultimate Riddle is going to be addressing- meshing freewill and deterministic fate. So its sort of the aggregate wills of all the characters in all stages of their lives shape how the Alpha timeline would/is/did play out. Like a weird mad-lib where the answers shape the questions shape the answers until things stabilize.

So Vriska is fated to create Bec Noir because she is the kind of person who would always choose to do that if given motivation/opportunity, and events play out accordingly.

Likewise, the events that result from Karkat being a coward are only fated by the Alpha to occur because that's who he fundamentally is. If Karkat were a different person deep down, then the Alpha timeline would have adjusted for that and things would play out differently. Maybe the same result would have happened, but a different path would have been taken.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
So as dumb as it sounds, I just realized the kids (Or at least Dave and Rose) will be meeting up with the trolls soon.

Hopefully it instantly deteriorates into a lot of revolting troll/human sloppy makeouts.

And then Karkat unleashes a fury the likes of which we've never seen.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 9, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mortal Sword posted:

I like the way Book 1 has turned out, but I may be biased.

I'm not really allowed to discuss specifics before the books are out

Not sure if you can answer this, but does it feature Hussie commentary like the Problem Sleuth books do?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Mortal Sword posted:

I like the way Book 1 has turned out, but I may be biased. I'm certainly hoping it'll be received well.

The flashes are translated just like Hussie said they'd be back when he first announced the books - as sequential art. I'm not really allowed to discuss specifics before the books are out, but I certainly worked with Hussie to tackle the issue of how best to translate the more dynamic flashes to print.

Is it a pop-out book? Tell me it's a pop-out book, even if it's a lie.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Cheeseball IV posted:

So as dumb as it sounds, I just realized the kids (Or at least Dave and Rose) will be meeting up with the trolls soon.

Hopefully it instantly deteriorates into a lot of revolting troll/human sloppy makeouts.

Right off the goddamn meteor. Spinning, spinning into endless nothing, screaming.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Cheeseball IV posted:

Dave's clad head-to-toe in red. Terezi will go berserk.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Is it a pop-out book? Tell me it's a pop-out book, even if it's a lie.

That's going to get a little unpleasant during the Bec Noir / troll stabathon.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Radio Paranoia posted:

Remember those fake blood capsules John received back in Act 1? This is where they all went.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

Pull the tab to stab Nepeta's dreamself. You turn the page and it's a pop out of Derse blowing up.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

A good poster posted:

Dave's clad head-to-toe in red. Terezi will go berserk.

I'm sure she'll be totally professional about it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mortal Sword posted:

Where is Problem Sleuth Book 3? :colbert:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Ok, yeah Karkat couldn't possibly know about all the stuff Gamzee would do. It's more that his first reaction is to try to get Equius to kill him rather than try to peacefully resolve things.

I mean yeah Gamzee threatens him right off, that's pretty upsetting, but then Gamzee basically says 'come find me and we can resolve this peacefully' but Karkat doesn't even give it a chance. He sends Equius to kill Gamzee and then hides, leaving the rest of his team to their own devices. I guess a better strategy would be to find a safe place to stash Sollux and then have Equius and Nepeta meet up with them, then go find Gamzee to kill/caress him. Safety in numbers and working as a team and all that, right?

I was pretty caught up in all the tension of the trollocaust updates, and I didn't see any honest chance that Gamzee was being honest with the 'get my reconsider on' in his message at the time.

In fact, to me it sounded more like a threat, kind of a horror movie-esque "If you don't come out here I'm going to kill someone else, I want you to come out so I can kill YOU." That was scary poo poo. Considering that Karkat just watched another murderous highblood cut down two of his friends, he probably wasn't immediately going to jump to the conclusion that Gamzee just needed some gentle shooshpapping to stop from doing the same.

Not to mention, at the time he probably didn't see any way it could end any more peacefully if he went than if Equius went(as Gamzee liked Equius as a friend), and Equius had the plus side of probably not being easy for Gamzee to kill. A theory that didn't pan out, unfortunately.

Mazerunner posted:

And honestly I don't think Karkat was a good leader during the Troll's session. Well I guess they didn't all kill each other which is a plus but for the most part it seemed like they were working individually or in small groups/pairs and didn't really have much overall co-ordination at all.

I think considering that the trolls were a bunch of chaotic near-murderous and rather bull-headed(sometimes literally) characters, Karkat was probably about as good of a leader as they could have gotten. As Vriska touched upon, any less and they probably would have killed each other, and not killing one another maye have been the most they could have hoped for. John-style "Leadership" might have just had most of the trolls ignore Karkat entirely. (Which.. Is pretty much what the kids do, really. Except unlike the trolls they don't murder one another when unsupervised.)

Granted, the tables may have turned now since most of the less controllable trolls are dead, save for the juggalo(who I'm not entirely convinced is no longer a problem), so a different form of leadership may be viable NOW, at least.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Chunky12345 posted:

Where is Problem Sleuth Book 3? :colbert:

It's coming out alongside the Homestuck book, as was mentioned.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cheeseball IV posted:

John turns out to not care that Vriska's dead, and goes for it anyway; the simultaneous flipping of nearly two million computer desks is heard around the world, and half the fandom kills itself.

The other half reaches for a box of tissues.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Not sure if you can answer this, but does it feature Hussie commentary like the Problem Sleuth books do?

Yep. Pretty certain this is kosher to answer, since Andrew mentioned compiling notes for it on Twitter back in August, and since it was already a feature in the PS books, so I don't think it's supposed to be a mystery that he'll continue to do commentary.

Chunky12345 posted:

Where is Problem Sleuth Book 3?

I'm just doing the Homestuck books. I don't know who's working on PS; the first I knew of PS Book 3 was that Topatoco post.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Awesome. Thanks for the answer.

Now to start brainstorming things to get Andrew to draw, in case he offers that option again.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Thundarr posted:

The Handmaid technically lived far longer than anyone mortal ever had the opportunity to. I agree though that if Aradia is an agent of Lord English, she will jump at any opportunity she gets to undermine his plans.

Another thing is that LE likes his tools to be older than the kids, compared to Scratch.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Whenever the book that contains Cascade (and only Cascade) comes out, I really hope he does full, double-page spreads of some of the split scenes, or goes landscape-format so he can fill part of the page to serve the same purpose as the "background" of the flash did. I can definitely see it working for sequential art only, unlike a lot of people in the thread, I just think his use of the background space in Cascade was really inspired and I hope it translates well into a book format.

Of course that's going to be like, volume 31 or something, so ...

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

QueerPope posted:

While we wait for 11/11/11, why don't we appreciate this wonderful thing that showed up over in the Fandom!Secrets thread.

This is right up there with the "GOP forming the Megazord" metaphor.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

QueerPope posted:

Wait. Wait. Sopor pie is... a high-functioning economy? And Equius and Nepeta are... I'm sorry, I can't see them symbolizing anything other than the Internet. Equius and Nepeta are Newgrounds. Gamzee is Andrew Hussie.

The real question: under the rules of this analogy, what does Kanaya presenting Eridan with a Wand Of Power say about Obama's true sexuality? :pseudo:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Hey so I sort of just realised something.
During the events of Vriska/Eridan/Gamzee's murderspree, we saw numerous trolls bite the dust: Tavros, Nepeta, Equius, Kanaya(sort of), and Feferi. The first 3 we see on Gamzee's makeshift Jury bench, and Kanaya is self explanatory, but what of Fef? Is she still just lying on the horn pile? I know that her role introducing the dream bubbles is done and dusted, but do you think Her Imperial Condensce has any relation to her as of now? Its all 'out of sight, out of mind', so I'm not sure what to make of it.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
She's also on the jury bench, she's next to Eriden's head.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

dumb brunette posted:

Whenever the book that contains Cascade (and only Cascade) comes out, I really hope he does full, double-page spreads of some of the split scenes, or goes landscape-format so he can fill part of the page to serve the same purpose as the "background" of the flash did. I can definitely see it working for sequential art only, unlike a lot of people in the thread, I just think his use of the background space in Cascade was really inspired and I hope it translates well into a book format.

Of course that's going to be like, volume 31 or something, so ...

It's funny, I had actually joked about looking forward to eventually making Book 24: Cascade...

I spent my initial watching of the flash partially distracted by trying to figure out how I'd translate everything to book form. It'll be a while before I get there, though, since I'm just now finishing up the first draft of Act 3 & the MC Intermission.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Mortal Sword posted:

It'll be a while before I get there, though, since I'm just now finishing up the first draft of Act 3 & the MC Intermission.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how these turn out, even though I doubt I'll be able to afford any for a while!

waggles posted:

She's also on the jury bench, she's next to Eriden's head.

Completely off-topic, but your avatar really makes me want to see a universe frog saying :frogout: Bonus points if it's to Lord English or somebody bad!

I also was wondering the other day if universe frogs are sentient. They probably are but man that's gotta be weird.

vvv OK that mental image is way funnier

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 9, 2011

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Waffnuffly posted:

Completely off-topic, but your avatar really makes me want to see a universe frog saying :frogout: Bonus points if it's to Lord English or somebody bad!
LE is a sanctioned element of the universal creation/ destruction cycle. :getin:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mortal Sword when you get to EOA4 and onwards please use a full page for every screencap that features a drawing of mine, thanks.

Reregular
Nov 4, 2011

by I Ozma Myself
Does anyone else often have dreams about being with the girls of Homestuck? Aged up, of course. Usually I have sexy dreams about Terezi, romantic dreams about Aradia, and platonic dreams about Kanaya or Jade.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Reregular posted:

Does anyone else often have dreams about being with the girls of Homestuck? Aged up, of course. Usually I have sexy dreams about Terezi, romantic dreams about Aradia, and platonic dreams about Kanaya or Jade.

Quoting this for preservation.

Reregular
Nov 4, 2011

by I Ozma Myself

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Quoting this for preservation.

I never said that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
welp time to lock the thread again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Reregular posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE