Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006
If wrestlers with little/no BJJ experience are kicking your rear end while rolling, then you probably suck , and should go train wrestling for a while instead to compensate for your natural crappiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
It doesn't seem like you put much thought into that response (or the question itself) - This guy's only 'kicking my rear end' in the sense that he thinks it's acceptable to throw elbows, slam, and swing me around by my neck in "light rolling" to compensate for his inability to pass guard and sink clean subs. I'm dealing with the problem by trying to teach him more effective methods of accomplishing his goals, but in my experience the truism "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" tends to be very accurate in these situations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ridleys Revenge posted:

It doesn't seem like you put much thought into that response (or the question itself) - This guy's only 'kicking my rear end' in the sense that he thinks it's acceptable to throw elbows, slam, and swing me around by my neck in "light rolling" to compensate for his inability to pass guard and sink clean subs. I'm dealing with the problem by trying to teach him more effective methods of accomplishing his goals, but in my experience the truism "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" tends to be very accurate in these situations.

I'm guessing by 'throw elbows' you mean crossface, if so then yes all of those things are acceptable.

Are you teaching the class?? If so then you should have their respect and be able to sit them down and tell them what is and isn't acceptable in light rolling, and if they still don't listen then kick them out of class.

Are you not teaching the class?? If so then it's not your job to teach him effective methods to deal with his goals, just humble him by beating him badly until he learns that lesson intuitively.

Are you not good enough to humble him repeatedly?? Then make it very very clear that you only want to roll lightly, you want to focus on technique, etc. If he doesn't listen, then politely and directly tell him you want to sit out or roll with someone else since he is incapable of going light, then go and do something else and reflect on how badly you got owned

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
It’s a university club, and yes I am teaching, but not because I feel legitimately qualified as an instructor- just because I have seniority, time, and the other members asked me to. I would prefer not to kick him out of class, as he seems to have good intentions, but his bad habits take over when the adrenaline kicks in. And even crossfacing can be done to such an extreme in terms of impact power and frequency of use that it becomes inappropriate (especially when it's not working to improve his position, he’s just doing it to vent his frustration by inflicting pain). Also, I notice that you glossed over the slams/testical attacks in your statement that his tactics were legitimate. I still don’t think you’re giving this issue a fair look.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 7, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

james earl pwns posted:

If wrestlers with little/no BJJ experience are kicking your rear end while rolling, then you probably suck , and should go train wrestling for a while instead to compensate for your natural crappiness.

Where are you from? In the midwest having guys who have wrestled since they could walk and often have state championships or even D-1 collegiate experience show up for beginner class is a common experience. Those guys can muscle their way through just about anything and have mindset that is the complete opposite of how most people approach rolling.. They are a beginner in the same way that a Judo Olympian showing up to his first BJJ workout is a "beginner".

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Well, if they're good enough to kick my rear end ... I'd probably make a deal that I'd teach them submissions and guard work if they'll show me takedowns and top control. Or how to workout better if they're just throwing me around.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So I have additional info about my competition that is coming up.

I'm now at 163-164 and am confident that I will be down to around 162 when I wake up Sunday if I don't do anything special until then.

I tested how much weight I can lose just by sweating and stuff and I usually lose a good 2 pounds when I work out (running and stuff) without trying to do anything special/drinking regularly during the whole workout (I sweat a lot... like a lot more than most people I know) so I think I should be able to easily get down to 160 if I go spend some time in a sauna before the weight-in.

I now know that the weight in will be between 9:30 and 10:00. I also know that the fights begin at 11:30. I highly doubt that my division will be the first to fight, but even in the worst of situations that gives me a good 1h30-2h to get re-hydrated.

Considering all that, what would be the best plan for the night before/morning of the competition?

Should I eat normally the night/morning before the comp?
Is the whole sauna thing the best way to lose the weight without tiring my body?

Thanks!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
You are shooting for 161, right?

What I would do if it was me is go light on liquid the day two days before and then hit the sauna/workout after work to get down to about 160, then have a carb rich meal like pasta with enough food/drink to get no higher than 162 (remember to include the cooked weight of the pasta, not the dry weight). Then just don't eat or drink the next morning before weigh ins, and if possible check your weight with enough time to go sweat off a half pound if need be (you will probably float 2-3 pounds overnight, but that varies from person to person so don't count on it). After weigh ins don't gorge or eat anything that'll bother your stomach. My personal preference is to have a turkey sandwich and some fruit after weigh-ins.

Cutting less than 5 pounds isn't going to impact your performance much at all, but if you've never done it before it can still be a hassle. If you have access to a scale on Saturday I'd recommend checking your weight first thing in the morning so you have a good idea how much food/drink you should have to prevent having to spend an hour jumping rope in the sauna and tiring yourself out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that their scale might not agree with your scale, so it is smart to make sure you are a little bit under your weight in case their scale is heavy.

If you are getting thirsty and it is bothering you, just chew gum, that helps.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 8, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If this was a serious cut I'd say no carbs until weigh ins and then do what you need to do.

Because it's less than 10lbs, just skip either dinner or breakfast and chill/jump rope in a sauna for 20s

The worst possible scenario is you somehow overestimate water retention and bloat up a bit from eating a huge carby meal the night before.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Shooting for 160.6 or 73kg. Going to make sure I'm at like 159 or very close on at least 2 different scales though just because I don't want to be at 161 because of "lol our scale is different than yours". I doubt it could be more than 1 pound off.

Thanks a lot Thoguh! Very precise info, just what I needed. The whole losing most of it the day before and making sure I stay where needed until the weight-in is something I wouldn't have thought about.

I really need to have a big precise plan about all of this or it will bother me so your advice's are really appreciated.

Fontoyn posted:

If this was a serious cut I'd say no carbs until weigh ins and then do what you need to do.

Because it's less than 10lbs, just skip either dinner or breakfast and chill/jump rope in a sauna for 20s

I know it must seem silly to anyone who ever lost any real amount of weight, but I've never even tried to lose a single pound in my entire life, much less sweat it before a competition in a way that won't make me feel like poo poo. It really seems to be considered "nothing" at all so I guess I'm worried for no reason, but I can't help but fear that I'll fail this!

Fontoyn posted:

The worst possible scenario is you somehow overestimate water retention and bloat up a bit from eating a huge carby meal the night before.

just see you added that. What would you recommend eating the night before?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KingColliwog posted:

just see you added that. What would you recommend eating the night before?

Have a sandwhich at most. Or some meat and an apple. Make sure you don't take/eat anything that'll make you retain too much water before your weigh in. You can recover energy really really quickly if you eat a decent meal a couple hours before your matches start.

But that's only if you're worried about performance > slight chance you might not make weight.

The absolute best thing you can do is avoid eating/drinking too much until you weigh in, and then eating a drinking a meal or so. Like a sandwhich and some corn flakes used to be my wrestler meal of choice after weighing in.

I know it's freaky the first time you do it because weight fluctuates a lot and all, but as long as you don't drink anything that morning, keep food intake low the previous night, and eat decently after weighing in, it won't matter at all.

If you're eating very little tonight and really really really worried about performance the next day, grab a dextrose/caffeine based preworkout supplement or some diabetic dextrose pills to chow down on a couple hours before.

edit: it gets way easier the more you cut weight. Half of it is honestly nerves and anxiety about how much your body will drop without extra effort. And if worst ever comes to worst, pack some sweats and a jumprope and lose as much weight as you need.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fontoyn posted:

it gets way easier the more you cut weight. Half of it is honestly nerves and anxiety about how much your body will drop without extra effort. And if worst ever comes to worst, pack some sweats and a jumprope and lose as much weight as you need.

This really is the truth. I remember my freshman year of high school when my walking weight was around 192 and making 189 was a huge ordeal that I focused my whole week on, compared to just a few years later when a 10 pound cut didn't even merit mention. There are lots of variables like how much you lose in various workouts, how much you float in a day and overnight, what foods are best for you personally, and a whole whole of other things. As a first time weight cutter they are overwhelming, but after you've done it a few times it becomes a well understood science.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

As a first time weight cutter they are overwhelming, but after you've done it a few times it becomes a well understood science.

Pretty much this. I cut 4-5 pounds of water in a sauna from 2-3:30ish for a grappling tourney, weighed in at ~5:00PM, started re-hydrating right away and I felt like death until about 2:00PM the day of the tourney (after the Gi portion of the tournament). It was my first cut and boy did it ever suck.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

This really is the truth. I remember my freshman year of high school when my walking weight was around 192 and making 189 was a huge ordeal that I focused my whole week on, compared to just a few years later when a 10 pound cut didn't even merit mention. There are lots of variables like how much you lose in various workouts, how much you float in a day and overnight, what foods are best for you personally, and a whole whole of other things. As a first time weight cutter they are overwhelming, but after you've done it a few times it becomes a well understood science.

That reminds me: make sure you're still a little bit hungry after you refuel. It's deathly important that you feel a little bit hungry going into your first match. This means you've fueled yourself enough but you won't bloat up like crazy either. This is probably the biggest indicator of success.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thanks everyone, I'm confident this will go well.

Right now my plan is as follow :

I'll try to get myself within about 3 pounds of my goal weight the night before and I'll go to bed as early as possible. My dinner will consist of a delicious chicken sandwich or may be some eggs and toast since those are my staple "easy to digest" meals.

The next morning, I'll go to the sauna at something like 7:00 AM or may be a little before depending on when I get picked up to go to the comp. I'll sweat until I'm close to one pound under my goal weight.

Then I'll go to the comp and chew gum if needed so I don't die of thirst.

I'll do what I can to get weighted early and then I'll drink some pre-workout dextrose crap and eat a chicken sandwich and dried fruits and a lot of water until I feel good but not overly full. Then depending on when my fight is supposed to be, I'll eat/drink accordingly.

Then I'll win a fight, drink/eat something sweet ASAP so I have some energy for the next fight that I'll also win. I'll keep doing that until they give me my gold medal.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
If this is too broad(or specific in location), let me know and I'll start a new thread:

I'm looking to get off my rear end and get into shape again, but also looking to learn something interesting.

I know there are quite a few goons in the LA area, and I'm curious if there's any really good schools I can look into, or a decent web page that rounds them up.

I actually have very little in the way of preference as far as a style, since I don't really expect to fight or compete. This is more of a fun thing. I've done Kung fu(Shaolin) and Karate(Isshin-Ryu) before, but nothing more than a brief beginner class so I'm not at all tied to them.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks everyone, I'm confident this will go well.

Right now my plan is as follow :

I'll try to get myself within about 3 pounds of my goal weight the night before and I'll go to bed as early as possible. My dinner will consist of a delicious chicken sandwich or may be some eggs and toast since those are my staple "easy to digest" meals.

The next morning, I'll go to the sauna at something like 7:00 AM or may be a little before depending on when I get picked up to go to the comp. I'll sweat until I'm close to one pound under my goal weight.

It is much better to do your weight cutting the day before so you have the night to recover. If you try to cut a bunch of weight that morning you'll not only be too tired to compete well, but you will also limit your margin for error if you don't float much overnight.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

If this is too broad(or specific in location), let me know and I'll start a new thread:

I'm looking to get off my rear end and get into shape again, but also looking to learn something interesting.

I know there are quite a few goons in the LA area, and I'm curious if there's any really good schools I can look into, or a decent web page that rounds them up.

A quick check of google gives about 3000 results in LA and the surrounding area. You can probably find anything in the area. I think the standard response is going to be to figure out what's actually close enough to you that you'll actually go a couple times a week. After that I'd recommend boxing, Judo, Muay Thai, BJJ, Sambo or any other martial art where you actually punch, kick, throw, choke etc other people.

If you're not interested in the fighting aspect, I'd recommend dance lessons. They can be a lot of fun, have a lot of the same physical benefits, they're more practical in your day to day life and assuming you're a heterosexual man it's a better way to meet women.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Most gyms will offer a free tryout class, so shop around and find a style you like and a convenient location.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I had a discussion recently about which is better for attacking the back:

Two hooks in with the legs OR a seat-belt grip (head-and-arm control or over/under grip depending on your terminology).

I'm curious to hear some opinions on which is more important to go for first.

I think common opinion probably leans towards two hooks in, but I find that I prefer to attach myself to my opponent with my arms. There's a variety of chokes available (darce, triangles, head-and-arm, guillotine, etc) in any direction that your opponent rolls to from there, and I think it's easier to maintain control with the hands, more so than it is to stay attached with the hooks.

I think we can agree it's ideal to have both hooks and an over-under grip, but if you had to choose, which do you think is better?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Arms first, every time. You can hold a guy with just your arms, but not with just hooks.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

It is much better to do your weight cutting the day before so you have the night to recover. If you try to cut a bunch of weight that morning you'll not only be too tired to compete well, but you will also limit your margin for error if you don't float much overnight.

Ok, good to know I thought it would actually be the opposite. Will do that instead!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kumo Jr. posted:

I had a discussion recently about which is better for attacking the back:

Two hooks in with the legs OR a seat-belt grip (head-and-arm control or over/under grip depending on your terminology).

I'm curious to hear some opinions on which is more important to go for first.

I think common opinion probably leans towards two hooks in, but I find that I prefer to attach myself to my opponent with my arms. There's a variety of chokes available (darce, triangles, head-and-arm, guillotine, etc) in any direction that your opponent rolls to from there, and I think it's easier to maintain control with the hands, more so than it is to stay attached with the hooks.

I think we can agree it's ideal to have both hooks and an over-under grip, but if you had to choose, which do you think is better?

Like X-guard said, the seat-belt is far more important than the hooks. Try it out in practice - have your partner in back control with just the seatbelt grip and no hooks, and then with just hooks and no seat belt. You'll figure out very quickly, that when you can glue your chest to his back, by way of the seatbelt, that his mobility is greatly decreased. All the hooks prevent the opponent from doing is turning into you, and that is somewhat accomplished by the seatbelt grip in the first place.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Jumping on what Drewjitsu and Xguard said, the reason you see guys lose the back so often in MMA is because they have the hooks but are using there arms to strike instead of stay chest to back(which by the way is probably the most important thing to think about in terms of maintaining back control). On the other hand it's not super uncommon to see guys finish the choke with one or no hooks in.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

I actually have very little in the way of preference as far as a style, since I don't really expect to fight or compete. This is more of a fun thing. I've done Kung fu(Shaolin) and Karate(Isshin-Ryu) before, but nothing more than a brief beginner class so I'm not at all tied to them.

Your question is probably too broad if for no other reason than traffic in LA will make half the schools in they city inconvenient. With that said, I recently started training at Cobrinha BJJ and it's by far the best school I've ever attended(and I've visited or trained consistently at over a dozen BJJ schools as well as a number of Tae Kwan Do and Karate schools across the country).

If by "I don't really expect to fight or compete" you mean your not interested in sparring it(and really all BJJ) schools is a bad fit, but if your interested in learning and training hard Cobrinha's is an amazing academy.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

NovemberMike posted:

A quick check of google gives about 3000 results in LA and the surrounding area. You can probably find anything in the area. I think the standard response is going to be to figure out what's actually close enough to you that you'll actually go a couple times a week. After that I'd recommend boxing, Judo, Muay Thai, BJJ, Sambo or any other martial art where you actually punch, kick, throw, choke etc other people.

If you're not interested in the fighting aspect, I'd recommend dance lessons. They can be a lot of fun, have a lot of the same physical benefits, they're more practical in your day to day life and assuming you're a heterosexual man it's a better way to meet women.

I know I can get pretty much anything I'd want in LA so I was seeing if anyone could narrow it down a bit from experience with different schools.

I actually do take dance and I'm already engaged but I will second your recommendation that dance will help you meet women.

dokomoy posted:

Your question is probably too broad if for no other reason than traffic in LA will make half the schools in they city inconvenient. With that said, I recently started training at Cobrinha BJJ and it's by far the best school I've ever attended(and I've visited or trained consistently at over a dozen BJJ schools as well as a number of Tae Kwan Do and Karate schools across the country).

You make a good point, I'm in Long Beach so the south bay is pretty much my domain, and Wilshire is not. But thank you for the school reco.

quote:

If by "I don't really expect to fight or compete" you mean your not interested in sparring it(and really all BJJ) schools is a bad fit, but if your interested in learning and training hard Cobrinha's is an amazing academy.

I'm interested in becoming good, and fine with sparring. What I meant is I don't expect to actually defend myself(extremely unlikely to ever need this), and I have no interest in being competitive in tournaments.

Sounds to me like I should just find what's the best reputation school near me and see if I like what they teach.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I bought new gloves and focus mitts and thai pads and really shiny shorts with lots of tassels and also some other stuff from a website in Thailand and they sent me an email yesterday saying "sorry bro your poo poo isn't going to ship for ages 'cos we're flooded" then today I got an email saying "hey bro your poo poo has shipped" so that's cool

actual question: what weight gloves do you guys use for different stuff? I just use 14oz gloves for everything but is it usual to have a pair of 16oz for sparring and 10oz for bag/pad work or something? should I be doing it differently?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Zeitgueist posted:

I'll pimp the CSULB BJJ club, meets like 3 times a week, cheap dues and great instructors.

Open mat saturday 2pm, no charge if you just wanna show up and learn, usually a pair of brown belts and a black belt there just rolling and teaching whoever wants to learn. Low key, and BJJ is always a good workout. Everyone is happy to teach and is pretty chill.

Monday and Tuesday evening classes, gi or no gi is cool, techniques are usually taught both ways.

I'll be there this saturday, come check it out maybe.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

gimpsuitjones posted:

actual question: what weight gloves do you guys use for different stuff? I just use 14oz gloves for everything but is it usual to have a pair of 16oz for sparring and 10oz for bag/pad work or something? should I be doing it differently?

14oz gloves are fine for everything unless you are a little girl who should wear 10oz because twig arms and tiny hands. I have 16oz SDI gloves (popular with big guys - lots of padding) and 14oz Fairtex gloves for sparring (the Fairtax pair is really small for 14oz). I have two pairs of 14oz Twins I used to do everything with but they are beaten to a pulp and thus now serve as my bag gloves.

Hit with whatever but I guess use the old, worn gloves for hitting the heavy bag and pads, and save your new good gloves for sparring so you don't ruin them so fast and destroy the padding.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 9, 2011

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

gimpsuitjones posted:

I bought new gloves and focus mitts and thai pads and really shiny shorts with lots of tassels and also some other stuff from a website in Thailand and they sent me an email yesterday saying "sorry bro your poo poo isn't going to ship for ages 'cos we're flooded" then today I got an email saying "hey bro your poo poo has shipped" so that's cool

I'd agree with Ligur, but add that if you're a cheapskate like me, a nice pair of leather 16oz gloves will works fine for everything too. 16oz is probably a bit heavy for sparring, but my Title Classics are smaller than most 16oz gloves I've seen, so they still work well for me. My first pair lasted about a year and a half of abuse in all forms before I had to replace them, and I think they were pretty cheap both times.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
do you bjj guys ever experience pain in your sternum/diaphragm area the day after rolling? if I sneeze it feels like my sternum spasms.

Does this go away eventually? I imagine it's just from being crushed in side-control (because I suck)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

origami posted:

do you bjj guys ever experience pain in your sternum/diaphragm area the day after rolling? if I sneeze it feels like my sternum spasms.

Does this go away eventually? I imagine it's just from being crushed in side-control (because I suck)

I get that sometimes. If I lean/stretch back far enough I can feel my sternum pop, and that usually takes care of the problem.
I kind of have a sunken chest though, so your experience may vary.

Edit: I'm horrible. Today I had to convince myself to choose training over Battlefield 3- it was a close call. :geno:

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 9, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

origami posted:

It does happen - one of the brown belts in my club did something to his sternum, he couldn't hold seatbelt grip from back control without any pain.

It does go away eventually.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In re sternum pain, I asked in the medical subforum because I have long stretches (several weeks) sternum pain that is helped by popping, and someone mentioned this:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

When it's flaring up, I can tell when my sternum needs a pop. If I manage to pop it, it definitely helps the pain, for whatever reason. So far my best technique is to put my arms out horizontally and try to run through a door way. Jk, but extending both arms back can frequently get that deep satisfying pop over my heart.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Ligur posted:

14oz gloves are fine for everything unless you are a little girl who should wear 10oz because twig arms and tiny hands. I have 16oz SDI gloves (popular with big guys - lots of padding) and 14oz Fairtex gloves for sparring (the Fairtax pair is really small for 14oz). I have two pairs of 14oz Twins I used to do everything with but they are beaten to a pulp and thus now serve as my bag gloves.

Hit with whatever but I guess use the old, worn gloves for hitting the heavy bag and pads, and save your new good gloves for sparring so you don't ruin them so fast and destroy the padding.

I don't know if this is a bit weird, but I have a pair of 16 oz gloves that I use for sparring and I use my 4 oz padded mma gloves for bag work. I prefer the open-handed gloves to use because they don't force my thumb into an awkward position in the way that most boxing and muay thai gloves do. They're similar to mma gloves, but they have a small amount of padding over the knuckles.

Does anyone use very little padding on their hands for their bag work?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Doesn't seem worth the risk of injury. We only use bags for endurance drills, so 4oz gloves would be missing the point anyway.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Wearing gloves with some padding protects the bag.

Chaos Theory
Jan 18, 2010
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and there's a gym pretty close to where I live that looks like it'd be perfect, but I thought I might as well ask for your opinions.

The head of the gym is named Maguilla, apparently he's a fourth degree black belt? (site here: http://bjjonline.com/) I don't really have any knowledge of the BJJ world, so I don't know how legitimate he is, but apparently the gym has a good enough reputation. He has a lot of claims to various titles and such, and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of him/knows if he's any good.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8878537/Worlds-last-Sikh-warrior-who-lives-in-Wolverhampton.html

Before we all start the old "It's not BJJ/MT/Boxing GTFO" crap, I like to point out that this is an excellent example of practicing a martial art for its cultural value. Assuming that the article is accurate, how cool would it be to say that you are the last living practitioner of a cultural practice. I know very little about Sikhs, Sikhism, and weapon martial arts, but I can respect dedication, something this fellow seems to have plenty of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Chaos Theory posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and there's a gym pretty close to where I live that looks like it'd be perfect, but I thought I might as well ask for your opinions.

The head of the gym is named Maguilla, apparently he's a fourth degree black belt? (site here: http://bjjonline.com/) I don't really have any knowledge of the BJJ world, so I don't know how legitimate he is, but apparently the gym has a good enough reputation. He has a lot of claims to various titles and such, and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of him/knows if he's any good.

Maguilla is across the country so I haven't heard much about him but I read this about him on sherdog

quote:

I was originally associated with Maguilla and trained with him occasionally. I was too new and naive to pick up on his true nature. He is every evil stereotype of a Brazilian that is laughed about on messagebaords.

He is lazy, self centered, and irrational. He thinks his students are his property. He has them do anything from paint his house to teach all of his classes. At one point, he decided he was going to become a fireman, and had blue and purple belts teaching all of his classes. His standards for belt promotions are non existant and all his purple/brown belts lose every match they fight. Every promising student he ever had, that held affiliate schools under him he flipped out on and kicked out. Those instructors are far too kind to ever go to the effort to spreading his true nature, but it is pretty curious that Monroe and Duke are separate from him, Lee is with Balance, Jon is with Pedro Sauer, Schindler is with Pedro Sauer, and Josh is running his own place, no? This is touching the tip of the iceberg. I could tell you stories for hours passed from gym to gym about ridiculous poo poo hes pulled, ranging from making GBS threads on fish, paying a student to paint his house in toothpaste, wearing speedos to inappropriate places, loving a really old vietnamese swinger that trained under him, etc. 5 minutes with him and you can tell you are wasting your time.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/dc-md-nova-bjj-schools-1801611/index3.html

• Locked thread