Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Leodon posted:

His coat is exactly as described as a GWP. A double coat of short dense soft hair with some longer wiry hair. His markings are ticked and heavily spotted. The white is not GWP. He also has the beard and snout hair that look a lot like the breed. That being said, I don't recall ever having seen him point at anything.

No; your dog is merle, GWPs are heavily ticked but never merle. Also, GWPs are a large breed and by that pup's paws, he's going to be small when he grows up. He is most likely a terrier/dachshund mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007
You have strayed far from the path of the Avatar.
I have to agree that it does look like him.

His paws are bigger than they look in that picture and extra furry all over. He gets palm tree seeds and bits of things stuck in there and doesn't seem to care. His nails are narrow and currently sharp.

Lurch likes fetch, chewing on everything, doing his business on cement, chasing any cat that runs, sleeping, rolling/sliding in grass, shoving his nose at you like a kiss, nibbling my hair, being told not to eat cat food, chewing his feet, having noisy puppy dreams and barking at our 14 year old dog because she won't play with him. He did dig a little once on a gopher hole. He's smart and learning quick.

Pit bulls and chihuahuas are the most common around here. I'm in Southern California. The shelter I got him from is a richer area where they get a much bigger variety of dogs. There aren't many hunters here but that wouldn't stop some rich guy from importing a fancy hunting dog. I've seen all kinds. I'm fine with him being large or small. It doesn't matter. I just really thought I had this figured out with his weird double coat.

Paws:

Showing off his ear fringe and general cuteness:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Also, GWPs are not a super common breed outside of working hunter households so the odds of one just being out to casually reproduce are slim. And by that same token, dapple Dachshunds and JRTS are BYB'd to hell these days and it seems much more likely that your little guy was the product of some designer breed attempt. A rescue out here actually had a merle Schnauzer/Aussie cross that looked like a larger version of your puppy.

The problem with mutts in general is that unless you know exactly what dogs were the parents, and what breed THEIR parents were, if you look hard enough, you can find characteristics that match all kinds of different dogs. This is why most people jump to accept those generally bogus DNA test results. "Oh, Sparky only weighs 6 lbs and is smooth coated with floppy ears but he has a single black spot on his tongue so I *knew* he was really a Chow mix!".

We're guilty of it too, to some extent because while we can make educated guesses of what our dogs are mixes of, based on size/temperament/features/and area of of origin, it is still only a guess at best and we will never really know for sure.

With that said, our one purebred is so weird looking anyway she may as well be a mutt. :D

Edit: Oh wow, he really is cute though!

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Leodon posted:

I have to agree that it does look like him.

His paws are bigger than they look in that picture and extra furry all over. He gets palm tree seeds and bits of things stuck in there and doesn't seem to care. His nails are narrow and currently sharp.

Lurch likes fetch, chewing on everything, doing his business on cement, chasing any cat that runs, sleeping, rolling/sliding in grass, shoving his nose at you like a kiss, nibbling my hair, being told not to eat cat food, chewing his feet, having noisy puppy dreams and barking at our 14 year old dog because she won't play with him. He did dig a little once on a gopher hole. He's smart and learning quick.

Pit bulls and chihuahuas are the most common around here. I'm in Southern California. The shelter I got him from is a richer area where they get a much bigger variety of dogs. There aren't many hunters here but that wouldn't stop some rich guy from importing a fancy hunting dog. I've seen all kinds. I'm fine with him being large or small. It doesn't matter. I just really thought I had this figured out with his weird double coat.

Paws:

Showing off his ear fringe and general cuteness:

Ha ha, GWP. No. Check out http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/doxiepoo.htm (for the photos, not the insanity) and consider where that soft-yet-wirey combo of hair came from... a poodle! Your adorable Lurch is like some lab/poodle mixes, but smaller. Hilarious ear fringes, etc. No JRT either, I think, but I'm in the minority!

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007
You have strayed far from the path of the Avatar.

badmomrising posted:

Ha ha, GWP. No.
Glad I can give someone a good laugh :D

Okay, I'll quit trying to figure it out because it's just going in circles. I'll come back when he's a lot older. Thanks everyone for helping me out!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah, I wouldn't fret over it too much. Several months ago some stranger made a comment wondering if my dog was a purebred GSD, which got me wondering if - gasp - maybe he was! Maybe he just doesn't look like a normal black GSD because he was poorly bred, whoa!

...even though it's painfully obvious he's a mutt and that guy was a moron. But his purebred white GSD had ears that didn't stand up, so clearly my non-pricked ear GSD mix was purebred too! :downs:

edit: My point is I stopped caring so much and was better off for it. It's fun to ponder, but beyond that, meh.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 4, 2011

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Leodon posted:

Glad I can give someone a good laugh :D

Okay, I'll quit trying to figure it out because it's just going in circles. I'll come back when he's a lot older. Thanks everyone for helping me out!

Just promise you'll bring more photos, because your adorable dog is going to be neat to watch get older. Taller? Longer? Hairier? Curlier? I'm guessing he'll stay cute though!

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
I think I know what Leodon's dog is, I bet £5 it's a wire haired fox terrier x jack Russell:
Only pictures I could find.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major's results came in today and I am suitably entertained.

Yep, he's a St.Bernard/Cattle dog mix/mix. Well, he is big and ticked I guess. But what makes up the mix part? Let's take a look.

It all makes so much sense now. He and kiri's Psyche are similar because they are both American Eskimo dogs :downs: I can believe that he's some sort of boxer/spaniel/farm dog mutt so I guess I can't complain too much. I wasn't looking for pinpoint accuracy and all of the breeds listed are relatively believable if we go by what colors they have to carry to end up looking like Major.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

The Stewart posted:

This is stormy! Got her from the shelter as a puppy a couple years ago.

Stormy looks so much like my dog and they even have the same collar and tag (though she doesn't wear the tag). She is a boxer/lab mix. Cross posting the pic from the pet costume thread.

NarwhalParty fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 4, 2011

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Major's results came in today and I am suitably entertained.

Yep, he's a St.Bernard/Cattle dog mix/mix. Well, he is big and ticked I guess. But what makes up the mix part? Let's take a look.

It all makes so much sense now. He and kiri's Psyche are similar because they are both American Eskimo dogs :downs: I can believe that he's some sort of boxer/spaniel/farm dog mutt so I guess I can't complain too much. I wasn't looking for pinpoint accuracy and all of the breeds listed are relatively believable if we go by what colors they have to carry to end up looking like Major.

This is so awesome, I might have Radar tested just for shits and giggles. Actually, I find the Clumber and Dogue de Bordeaux harder to believe than the St. Bernard/ACD part. It does explain Major's spots, size and tail, though! That courtship must have made for some fun spectating.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Reminds me of my childhood, my granddad used to have a tiny Jack Russell he was one of those little beggers that would try to hump anything he could, on more than one occasion he would yip excitedly at a much larger bitch, to whit my granddad would always reply "by 'ek lad, you'll need a ladder"

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

badmomrising posted:

This is so awesome, I might have Radar tested just for shits and giggles. Actually, I find the Clumber and Dogue de Bordeaux harder to believe than the St. Bernard/ACD part. It does explain Major's spots, size and tail, though! That courtship must have made for some fun spectating.

Yeah, there's no way he's a clumber but I can certainly see some sort of spaniel-y thing in him. Dogue is out of the question too but the molosser genes could be showing up from a Saint or Boxer. At first I thought ACD/Saint was kind of ridiculous but I've seen numerous Saints and saint-like mixes go through the shelter he came from and he does have some ACD-like tendencies. I just hope that he get's the ACD "work until you die" genes and not the Saint "get cancer at 6" genes (also that the Saint was the bitch, ouch).

vvv That test didn't have Am. Staff in it's database, the wisdom panel ones have Am. Staff and Staffy Bulls in theirs so might be more accurate vvvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 5, 2011

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Those things are hilarious. If only they weren't so expensive I'd have Angus tested, they are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to the pit bull type breeds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

SuperTwo posted:

Those things are hilarious. If only they weren't so expensive I'd have Angus tested, they are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to the pit bull type breeds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w

Well drat, I had my Angus tested and I've been telling everyone he's a Shihtzhund (he came back as a Shih Tzu x Shorthaired Dachshund plus some undetermined content). Now I don't know what to think! Excellent dog though, does a great rug impression.

Pic:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Well drat, I had my Angus tested and I've been telling everyone he's a Shihtzhund (he came back as a Shih Tzu x Shorthaired Dachshund plus some undetermined content). Now I don't know what to think! Excellent dog though, does a great rug impression.

Pic:

Aha this dog looks awesome. I wanna brush and pet him. :3:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I want to slide him across a hard floor while he lays on his belly.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

It's kind of tempting to submit a sample from my purebred dog and see if the results are correct :) It would be amusing if it came up with anything other than greyhound, seeing as his pedigree goes back to the 1970s at the very least.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Yeah, there's no way he's a clumber but I can certainly see some sort of spaniel-y thing in him. Dogue is out of the question too but the molosser genes could be showing up from a Saint or Boxer. At first I thought ACD/Saint was kind of ridiculous but I've seen numerous Saints and saint-like mixes go through the shelter he came from and he does have some ACD-like tendencies. I just hope that he get's the ACD "work until you die" genes and not the Saint "get cancer at 6" genes (also that the Saint was the bitch, ouch).

vvv That test didn't have Am. Staff in it's database, the wisdom panel ones have Am. Staff and Staffy Bulls in theirs so might be more accurate vvvv

I've always been curious as to what Major was; he reminds me a lot of Bailey, who is some sort of muttley ACD farm dog. Naturally bob tailed and flop eared. Pretty solidly built too.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

I've always been curious as to what Major was; he reminds me a lot of Bailey, who is some sort of muttley ACD farm dog. Naturally bob tailed and flop eared. Pretty solidly built too.

Yeah, Bailey's car issues reminded me a lot of Major when I first got him. SO triggered by movement that he didn't even seem to think about it before he lunged. Usually I think ACD first when I see freckle dogs but I guess I was just in denial about willingly bringing one in to my house :) I think we need some more Bailey pics so we can compare. For science.

PissChrist
Feb 21, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just brought this 2 year old hound mix home from the local shelter. Im trying to figure out what else shes mixed with, I think shes hound/German Shepard mix but im not sure.

Anyone have any better guesses as to what shes mixed with?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

PissChrist posted:

I just brought this 2 year old hound mix home from the local shelter. Im trying to figure out what else shes mixed with, I think shes hound/German Shepard mix but im not sure.

Anyone have any better guesses as to what shes mixed with?

Heh, she's another Scylla clone! (see my last posts in the thread, another user adopted a puppy who is like the exact likeness of a former foster dog of ours)

Just looks like a generic, pretty black and tan hound mix to me, maybe some lab?

We live fairly out there in Ohio and literally, every third litter of pups that comes in to rescue looks just like your girl :)

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
This is Lambeau, a lab mix. Apparently her mom was a purebred show dog that got teen pregnant by some mutt, probably some sort of shepherd/beagle thing. She's 13ish now.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Yeah, Bailey's car issues reminded me a lot of Major when I first got him. SO triggered by movement that he didn't even seem to think about it before he lunged. Usually I think ACD first when I see freckle dogs but I guess I was just in denial about willingly bringing one in to my house :) I think we need some more Bailey pics so we can compare. For science.

He's so incredibly drivey outside; any movement is a cue for him to STARE AT THE THING AND GET INTENSE. I wish I had a productive outlet for him. He doesn't really enjoy toys and as much as he loves to pull jogging is not fun for him.

(I do not blame you for being in denial; my vet was like, "This is the first dog you are owning on your own? I uh, wouldn't have recommended that.")

I should post more of Bailey; I just feel guilty because he is not to PI's high standards. He's kind of fat (despite my cutting his food intake and reducing his treats) and lazy so I feel guilty.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

DemonDarkhorse posted:

She's at least half hipster. :v:

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

orenji fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 23, 2023

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

orenji posted:

I was inspired by the doggie DNA thing - and am going to get Benjamin tested. Place your bets ladies and gents - what mix do you think he is?!

I'd guess byb jack russel or jack russel/chihuahua or maybe doxie mix. He looks like a sweet dog. :3:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
So I've met a really wonderful dog at a local shelter and I'm 90% of the way to adopting him. He's totally charming, super friendly, and the fact that he looks like a big teddy bear certainly doesn't hurt. Only question I've had is if I stick with his shelter name, "Randall", or go with a new one. Anyone have any suggestions? He's a super friendly fluff ball that got returned recently because his adopters were idiots who thought having a drunken friend at a party try to "train" him was a good idea, literally the first week he was adopted, resulting in not one, but two separate bites. It's funny because he's been 100% the sweetest dog I've met at the shelter, very people oriented, and constantly looking back at you with his tail wagging, quick to respond to commands.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Bawww that's a great looking mutt. :3: I'll throw out Golden/chowchow/GSD or some kind of BrownDog. Look at that smug face. Love that super blue tongue too.

Hey PI, I know spotted tongues can appear in any dog ever, but can totally blue tongues show up too?

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

orenji fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 23, 2023

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

orenji posted:

I was inspired by the doggie DNA thing - and am going to get Benjamin tested. Place your bets ladies and gents - what mix do you think he is?!

JRT/chihuahua I think.

Periodiko posted:

So I've met a really wonderful dog at a local shelter and I'm 90% of the way to adopting him. He's totally charming, super friendly, and the fact that he looks like a big teddy bear certainly doesn't hurt. Only question I've had is if I stick with his shelter name, "Randall", or go with a new one. Anyone have any suggestions? He's a super friendly fluff ball that got returned recently because his adopters were idiots who thought having a drunken friend at a party try to "train" him was a good idea, literally the first week he was adopted, resulting in not one, but two separate bites. It's funny because he's been 100% the sweetest dog I've met at the shelter, very people oriented, and constantly looking back at you with his tail wagging, quick to respond to commands.

He looks golden retriever/chow to me. Whatever mix he is though he's absolutely adorable.

Just think if you keep Randall, it'll probably shorten to Randy and do you want to be shouting Randy in the middle of the park? :v: (Incidentally this is the reason I could never name a dog Puck, no matter how awesome that would be.)

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007

PissChrist posted:

I'm going to go with Foxhound x Beagle x something else in there to get the colour, it will be short haired so GSD is out. Would Virginia foxhound be likely?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

orenji posted:

Also, what's doxie?

Doxie = Dachshund.

It's the same way Iggie = Italian Greyhound and Sheltie = Shetland Sheepdog. 'Cause people are lazy and like abbreviations.

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.

Medusula posted:

I'm going to go with Foxhound x Beagle x something else in there to get the colour, it will be short haired so GSD is out. Would Virginia foxhound be likely?

I'd guess on some black-and-tan coonhound mixed in there before foxhound, personally, just because of the lack of white? I dunno a lot about how coats are inherited in dogs, though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

orenji posted:

Rat terrier x chihuahua

Really cute dog

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

moechae posted:

New adopted puppy, Faye! She was listed as a Beagle/Hound mix. Obviously beagle, I think most people can see that. But what is the other ambiguous "Hound" part? No one has any idea!*

*I think it's greyhound. Please validate me and tell me she has sighthound in her. I want to do lure coursing so bad.

This may be a bit of a late reply, but there are now lure coursing events for any and all through the AKC:
http://www.akc.org/events/coursing_ability_test/index.cfm

I have my muttikins registered, and she got her first qualifying leg a couple weeks ago. Among other qualifying dogs was a 12-year-old full-on beagle, so I think you'll do fine with Faye.

And here are some pictures of my Afghan mutt.
Surveying her domain:

Listening for once:

Being a terrifying monster:

Gumba
Jul 19, 2006
This is my sister's two year old dog, Bowser. She just moved out of country and left him in my care until his six month home quarantine is over, then she's gonna come back and bring him with her. He's totally awesome and pretty much everyone who sees him tells me how good looking he is, and asks what breed he is. My sister got him as a puppy off of Craigslist, and said his mom is for sure an English Bulldog. I specifically asked her if the dog was for sure a squatty, smush-faced English Bulldog, or if it could have been an Olde English Bulldog or something. She said the mom dog was comically squatty and smush-faced. Thus, I'm dying to know WTF his dad could have possibly been.

He's at least 70 lbs. He's got a big 'ol floppy mouth, an underbite, has a lot of loose skin from his withers to his head, deep chested, and very spotted--total bulldog. But he's very lanky in the legs and has a medium-long muzzle.

Some stuff about his behavior.. he barks, snorts, growls, whines, and is otherwise pretty vocal (except I've never heard him howl). He's a total watchdog. He doesn't really guard--he doesn't have a mean bone in his body and is totally cool when I call him off after he alerts me to the impending doom knocking at the door. He's just pretty vocal when he hears anything out of the ordinary. He'll jump up mid snore to check out a disturbance. And he likes to keep me either in sight or within earshot. Other than that I dunno what else he does that'd be a clue to his lineage.

Gumba fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 9, 2011

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
My hunch would be that daddy was an American Bulldog or pibble. Maybe boxer? He's adorable!

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Gumba posted:

This is my sister's two year old dog, Bowser. She just moved out of country and left him in my care until his six month home quarantine is over, then she's gonna come back and bring him with her. He's totally awesome and pretty much everyone who sees him tells me how good looking he is, and asks what breed he is. My sister got him as a puppy off of Craigslist, and said his mom is for sure an English Bulldog. I specifically asked her if the dog was for sure a squatty, smush-faced English Bulldog, or if it could have been an Olde English Bulldog or something. She said the mom dog was comically squatty and smush-faced. Thus, I'm dying to know WTF his dad could have possibly been.

He's at least 70 lbs. He's got a big 'ol floppy mouth, an underbite, has a lot of loose skin from his withers to his head, deep chested, and very spotted--total bulldog. But he's very lanky in the legs and has a medium-long muzzle.

Some stuff about his behavior.. he barks, snorts, growls, whines, and is otherwise pretty vocal (except I've never heard him howl). He's a total watchdog. He doesn't really guard--he doesn't have a mean bone in his body and is totally cool when I call him off after he alerts me to the impending doom knocking at the door. He's just pretty vocal when he hears anything out of the ordinary. He'll jump up mid snore to check out a disturbance. And he likes to keep me either in sight or within earshot. Other than that I dunno what else he does that'd be a clue to his lineage.

My god, he's adorable! If it were even possible, I'd suggest Dane, just in the legs and muzzle, but...how?!

Edited to say: Aargh,nope, not dane, because of the colouring. So, seconding boxer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My first thought was American Bulldog also, but Boxer is a possibility as well I think.