Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

TehGherkin posted:

Whoa, c'mon dude, really? Are you genuinely recommending Fallout 3 as a game with a strong storyline? No offense, but c'mon.

In videogames terms, yeah, probably, just because of the breadth of it, and the way that every little encounter plays into the setting. Less so the overall story. It seems a bit janky now but at the time it was quite exciting.

I try not to think too much about storytelling in games. Ideally we'd be weeping over our keyboards/controllers but it's not happening yet (or only extremely rarely). I think Valve's games are head and shoulders above most others and it's kind of embarassing how impoverished most games studios are when it comes to quality writers. There's more humour and pathos in a single line in Portal 2 than the entire story content of most games (and to think it started out as a side attraction to Episode 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Looking for a good space 4X

I like:
-decent economic system
-custom ship design
-decent AI
-espionage
-long tech tree

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm looking for game with visceral fighting. Similar to the Assassin's Creed and Bushido Blade series. Not hack an' slashly, but where weapons carry weight and hit locations affect the character.

Anyone have any suggestions or know what I'm talking about?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

OperaMouse posted:

I like:
-decent economic system
-custom ship design
-decent AI
-espionage
-long tech tree

Have you played AI wars? I got really excited for it and got it but stuff came up and I haven't had time to get into it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

And if not, it's on sale super cheap (with DLC is only $2.50 more, too!) on Steam until 11/9/11 at 1pm EST. Get it!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

rizuhbull posted:

I'm looking for game with visceral fighting. Similar to the Assassin's Creed and Bushido Blade series. Not hack an' slashly, but where weapons carry weight and hit locations affect the character.

Chronicles of Riddick, the Mount & Blade games, and Fallout 3 / New Vegas come to mind. They all match your criteria in different ways, though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

rizuhbull posted:

Bushido Blade, yeah... I wish more games were like it. Have you played that goofy Lugaru game? It seems to remind me of that in some ways. (and it's sequel, being developed, Overgrowth)

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

rizuhbull posted:

Those silly Discovery (history?) channel games are similar.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Those silly Discovery (history?) channel games are similar.
Really? I have a high tolerance for bad games as long as they fulfill that niche crave I have. Thanks, I'll take a look at 'em.

Ashenai posted:

Chronicles of Riddick, the Mount & Blade games, and Fallout 3 / New Vegas come to mind. They all match your criteria in different ways, though.
All games I have already experienced and loved to death, unfortunately. Thanks though.

Chinook posted:

Bushido Blade, yeah... I wish more games were like it. Have you played that goofy Lugaru game? It seems to remind me of that in some ways. (and it's sequel, being developed, Overgrowth)
I forgot about Overgrowth! Thanks. I was meaning to pre-order, but $30 seems steep for that kinda game. I can't find any info of a campaign, or objectives or anything, and I didn't play Lugaru. I'm ok with it focusing on combat mechanics, but it's hard to find out what I'm paying for.

e: I'm also gonna add GTA4 and RDR to that list. I'm looking for any game that's super fun to damage the enemy models.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 9, 2011

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

OperaMouse posted:

I like:
-decent economic system
-custom ship design
-decent AI
-espionage
-long tech tree

Surely you've already played it, but Galactic Civilizations II has all of those things, although the economic system is simple.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

rizuhbull posted:

Really? I have a high tolerance for bad games as long as they fulfill that niche crave I have. Thanks, I'll take a look at 'em.

He's talking about the Deadliest Warrior games. I haven't actually played them but from what I hear they're actually pretty fun, considering their source material. People have compared it to Bushido Blade.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

OperaMouse posted:

I like:
-decent economic system
-custom ship design
-decent AI
-espionage
-long tech tree

Space Empires 4 with the Devnull 1.80 mod. Base SE4 AI isn't terribly bright, but Devnull fixes a lot of that, and the weapon balance. Espionage is done with a points system same as the research and economic models in the game. As a result, espionage tends to not be terribly deep, as it usually comes down to "the bigger economy wins" but you're playing 4X games on purpose so I figure you're down with that.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Picked up the Steam deal for AI war and Space Empires 4 as well.
Thanks for the suggestions.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

He's talking about the Deadliest Warrior games. I haven't actually played them but from what I hear they're actually pretty fun, considering their source material. People have compared it to Bushido Blade.
Oh, right :/. I've already played the first. It's eh, the realism is the best thing going for it. Otherwise it's awful. Thanks tho.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I'm looking for a metroidvania/zelda-like. Action game that still has plenty of puzzles and complex dungeons to go through, and I get cool items that do specific things. :v:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I used to really like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, which is a class based, objective driven FPS, I also like world of tanks, which is tanks. I tried TF2 but it never really clicked with me.
Are there any new FPS games that have class and xp systems like W:ET and allow you to succeed as a lonewolf?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

I'm looking for a metroidvania/zelda-like. Action game that still has plenty of puzzles and complex dungeons to go through, and I get cool items that do specific things. :v:

Dark Souls is actually pretty metroidvania-like. It's got an open world in the style of "Multiple paths you can take, but some areas are cut off until you've completed others and some areas are too difficult to tackle right away" and the whole thing is seamlessly connected with a series of shortcuts you can open up to make running back to old areas faster (plus you can do some crazy sequence breaking once you know your way around).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Shadow Complex for XBLA is pretty much this. Does a great job with the concept in a more realistic setting.

Aquaria for the PC is also nice, but opinions differ on it.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Dark Souls is actually pretty metroidvania-like. It's got an open world in the style of "Multiple paths you can take, but some areas are cut off until you've completed others and some areas are too difficult to tackle right away" and the whole thing is seamlessly connected with a series of shortcuts you can open up to make running back to old areas faster (plus you can do some crazy sequence breaking once you know your way around).

Yeah, I've been tooling around on Dark Souls lately but I've got the Zelda itch and I don't feel like replaying an older game, but Skyward Sword is still a ways away.

I don't have an Xbox to play Shadow Complex, and my PC is kind of poo poo. Is Aquaria graphics-heavy or could a lightweight computer run it?

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Crankit posted:

I used to really like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, which is a class based, objective driven FPS, I also like world of tanks, which is tanks. I tried TF2 but it never really clicked with me.
Are there any new FPS games that have class and xp systems like W:ET and allow you to succeed as a lonewolf?

My first thought would be Battlefield 3 which was just released. That has tanks too. You could also keep your eye on Natural Selection 2, but I have no idea when it's coming out.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Definitely Battlefield 3, you'd be crazy not to try it with those requests. Better yet, the class system is more flexible than in previous games in the series, so you're not stuck with stupid inpractical guns and tanks are more visceral and key than ever.

I'd probably caution you against being a lone wolf since even playing in a squad with pubbies is much more fun than doing it alone, and the classes are designed to play off each other - but this is mostly because the majority of lone wolf players are terrible and bring down the team. If you're a poo poo hot sniper or something then you'll fit in well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I am looking for a good mission-based FPS on Xbox 360 (or Wii but that's less likely).

I have enjoyed games such as Goldeneye (Wii and N64) and Perfect Dark (I have PD:Zero as well but I didn't like it as much), where the game is divided into discrete missions that I can play over and over to improve my times and so on. I also like how those games have varying objectives depending on the difficulty you choose, and also how every level is very distinct in look and feel. More than anything, this kind of individual level structure is what I'm after.

I'd prefer espionage games, or really any other genre (modern, historical, sci-fi, etc), over warfare games. I've had my fill of Call of Duty and the likes.

I also don't give a crap about online multiplayer, so I want to spend money on something that will last me a decent amount of time in single-player mode. The last FPS I enjoyed from beginning to end was Goldeneye on Wii.

edit: I'm wondering if Halo (the HD remake) would fit into what I'm after? I've never played a Halo game before so I don't know much about it.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 10, 2011

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Hedrigall posted:

I am looking for a good mission-based FPS on Xbox 360 (or Wii but that's less likely).

I have enjoyed games such as Goldeneye (Wii and N64) and Perfect Dark, where the game is divided into discrete missions that I can play over and over to improve my times and so on. I also like how those games have varying objectives depending on the difficulty you choose, and also how every level is very distinct in look and feel. More than anything, this kind of individual level structure is what I'm after.

I'd prefer espionage games, or really any other genre (modern, historical, sci-fi, etc), over warfare games. I've had my fill of Call of Duty and the likes.

I also don't give a crap about online multiplayer, so I want to spend money on something that will last me a decent amount of time in single-player mode. The last FPS I enjoyed from beginning to end was Goldeneye on Wii.

Alpha Protocol seems very much like the kind of game you're looking for: it's a highly replayable espionage game. It does have its faults, but it's a magnificent (if flawed) diamond and well worth trying.

Other espionage-style games that you might like are No One Lives Forever (1 and 2), and the Hitman games. The NOLF games are goofy James Bond-y espionage shooters with cool gadgets and a fun variety of stages, while Hitman plays the theme a lot more straight and really makes you feel like an elite agent who uses his wits to outsmart superior forces. Hitman is great for replaying stages over and over, trying to improve your play.

edit: Halo is a rather simplistic shooter, and I don't think it's really the kind of game you're looking for, based on what you wrote.

edit 2: argh sorry, I thought for some reason you were looking for PC games. Scratch NOLF. Hitman and Alpha Protocol are both available for the XBox 360, though.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 10, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ashenai posted:

edit 2: argh sorry, I thought for some reason you were looking for PC games. Scratch NOLF. Hitman and Alpha Protocol are both available for the XBox 360, though.

drat, I just looked up the NOLF games and they look awesome :( I'll research the others though. Anyone else got suggestions? (doesn't have to be espionage, really)

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
My girlfriend doesn't play any games outside of the Sims, any fun games for the 360 we could play? Doesn't necessarily have to be co-op, and she doesn't enjoy shooters. It's not my 360 so i don't know many titles. :)

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

My brother and I have been playing a ton of co-op on 360 lately. We've worked through most of Army of Two: 40th Day (a third-person shooter intended for two player co-op from the ground up) via XBox Live and really like it, plus we've played through Warhammer 40K: Kill Team (a really fun Smash TV-like shoot-em-up) multiple times and finished Lara Croft: Guardian of Light together as well at his house.

We're looking for more games like either of those if possible, preferably older stuff that has come down in price (we picked up AO2 for $20 each). We tried Splinter Cell: Conviction at first and it's fun but we prefer faster-paced stuff that doesn't rely on stealth for so much of the gameplay.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 10, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

I don't have an Xbox to play Shadow Complex, and my PC is kind of poo poo. Is Aquaria graphics-heavy or could a lightweight computer run it?

I don't think it is. I ran it on a fairly old computer that couldn't run a good number of games at any appreciable setting. It's all 2D so shouldn't really be an issue.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Encryptic posted:

My brother and I have been playing a ton of co-op on 360 lately. We've worked through most of Army of Two: 40th Day (a third-person shooter intended for two player co-op from the ground up) via XBox Live and really like it, plus we've played through Warhammer 40K: Kill Team (a really fun Smash TV-like shoot-em-up) multiple times and finished Lara Croft: Guardian of Light together as well at his house.

We're looking for more games like either of those if possible, preferably older stuff that has come down in price (we picked up AO2 for $20 each). We tried Splinter Cell: Conviction at first and it's fun but we prefer faster-paced stuff that doesn't rely on stealth for so much of the gameplay.

Borderlands is FPS co-op Diablo 2, with a total lack of stealth as a game mechanic at all. You wander around, you shoot stuff, you find yet fancier guns to shoot stuff with, and gain levels to shoot stuff yet better.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

In later levels, co-op mode in Conviction relies on stealth about as much as Duke Nukem does.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Morpheus posted:

In later levels, co-op mode in Conviction relies on stealth about as much as Duke Nukem does.

LOL, OK. I just remember we spent bloody ages on this one part where you cannot be detected at all or you're hosed, so that got irritating.

If anyone's got more recommendations, I'm all ears. I will check out Borderlands though - thanks!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So here is a rather interesting thing for you guys.

I'm trying to get my dad into videogames, a little bit. He is 54 years old and I think he may have played an hour total of videogames in all of his life. Probably less..
Anyhow, it isn't a matter of not being able to use technology or anything like that since he uses his laptop all the time etc.

He loves Sci-fi stuff (He finished watching all of the SG1 and Stargate Atlantis seasons recently) so I figured I should find something like that. He really likes the whole concept of exploring new worlds with alien life on them and whatnot.

I doesn't matter how complex the game is since I will teach him how to play.

Any ideas?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Hedrigall posted:

drat, I just looked up the NOLF games and they look awesome :( I'll research the others though. Anyone else got suggestions? (doesn't have to be espionage, really)

Is Timesplitters too obvious? They're essentially spiritual sequels to Goldeneye/PD.

Torabi posted:

I'm trying to get my dad into videogames, a little bit. He is 54 years old and I think he may have played an hour total of videogames in all of his life. Probably less..
Anyhow, it isn't a matter of not being able to use technology or anything like that since he uses his laptop all the time etc.

He loves Sci-fi stuff (He finished watching all of the SG1 and Stargate Atlantis seasons recently) so I figured I should find something like that. He really likes the whole concept of exploring new worlds with alien life on them and whatnot.

Any ideas?

Mass Effect is a good choice if he's into sci-fi universes. It's not particularly difficult, especially if you turn the difficulty down, and there's plenty of wandering around and interacting with crazy aliens Star Trek style.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

My girlfriend doesn't play any games outside of the Sims, any fun games for the 360 we could play? Doesn't necessarily have to be co-op, and she doesn't enjoy shooters. It's not my 360 so i don't know many titles. :)

Try downloading Castle Crashers on XBLA.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Category Fun! posted:

Is Timesplitters too obvious? They're essentially spiritual sequels to Goldeneye/PD.

Mass Effect is a good choice if he's into sci-fi universes. It's not particularly difficult, especially if you turn the difficulty down, and there's plenty of wandering around and interacting with crazy aliens Star Trek style.

Try downloading Castle Crashers on XBLA.

Hmm, I was thinking about Mass Effect as well. Seems like my best bet and it is quite close to what they do in Stargate too. Having a team (The main protagonists are both named Shepherd :v: ) wander about doing cool stuff.

I've never actually played the Mass Effect series properly myself.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

I love the poo poo out of Arkham City's ridiculous "15 guys attacking at once" style of fights because the combat system is so smooth and well-done. Looking for a beat-em-up style game that has a really fun smooth combat system. I have Mortal Kombat but I'm not really into it because my timing is absolute poo poo - I just like the ridiculous "beat up multiple attackers" at once style where finesse is rewarded, but button mashing and fast movement will still get you through it.

I've been playing through Dante's Inferno yesterday and today and it's solid though the controls feel stiff compared to Batman, but the one thing that really irks me is the fixed camera - I keep wanting to shift the camera around and doing an evade instead. This got immensely irritating while trying to beat the Death fight since Death towers over you and it's easy to get him between you and the camera - that and the saving/healing system sucks IMHO.

I tried Ninja Gaiden Black a while back but I hated the fixed camera almost instantly, so that ruined it for me.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
It's vastly more simplistic, but WH40k: Space Marine has fun and extremely visceral melee combat that revolves around trashing scores of enemies, while the fact that your character remains vulnerable when performing execution moves (which are the only means of regaining health) means you need to be smart about where and when to use them, similar to ground takedowns in Batman: AA at least.

There's a demo for it on Steam. In fact, the demo more or less is all you need if you do end up enjoying it, because purely in terms of gameplay mechanics the full game doesn't offer that much more.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Heh. My brother just loaned me that, too. He wants it back if I don't play it. Guess I will have to, now. Thanks.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I recently finished Fallout: New Vegas and really, really liked it. Now, I know I can always replay the game with a new character, get different endings, buy the DLC, and so on, but I'm wondering what other games would be good for the same kind of experience.

My favorite thing about NV was that there were enough quests, dialog options, and ways of dealing with any given situation that I could pretty much play exactly how I wanted to. I really enjoyed being some guy just wandering through the wasteland and helping people out while choosing the snarkiest dialog options and shooting Legionnaires whenever possible, so I'd like to find something that'll let me do that, more-or-less.

Basically, I'm looking for a game that:

-hits the same kind of structured/non-linear equilibrium (too little structure and I lose interest or don't know what the gently caress I should be doing at any given time, but too much linearity and you lose the cool open world wandering vagrant feel- for example, I really liked Alpha Protocol, but while it gave you a lot of options the way its missions are structured would be a little too linear for what I have in mind)
-has a wide variety of options in most situations (not a limited "GOOD GUY/BAD GUY" morality system) and lets you choose who you want to help, negotiate with, fight, etc.
-has action-y combat where I have direct control of my character pretty much all of the time
-isn't terribly text-heavy (I don't mind reading- in fact I actually quite like it- but to be perfectly honest I just don't feel like playing a game where I'll be constantly reading walls of text right now)

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 15, 2011

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Opposing Farce posted:

If you're gaming on the PC, you may want to look up the STALKER series. The newest one: Call of Pripyat, had pretty much that type of game play.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Torabi posted:

Any ideas?

Is Star Trek Online still kicking out 30/60 day free trials? Because that game is very simple, very fun and has a great structure of sending you out on missions either with yourself or buddies (you could play co-op with him) that has a very exploratory feel. Its mostly done as either ship combat or as an away team, both of which have simple but enjoyable customization aspects (you pick your away team members, and their race/specializations but the AI controls them for the most part). The community for the game is very friendly as well, and the game itself is terribly non competitive (so much so that it turned off a lot of MMO types) but it does the best job of any game I've played of capturing the feel of a show like SG1 or TNG in video game form.

Opposing Farce posted:

I recently finished Fallout: New Vegas and really, really liked it. Now, I know I can always replay the game with a new character, get different endings, buy the DLC, and so on, but I'm wondering what other games would be good for the same kind of experience.

My favorite thing about NV was that there were enough quests, dialog options, and ways of dealing with any given situation that I could pretty much play exactly how I wanted to. I really enjoyed being some guy just wandering through the wasteland and helping people out while choosing the snarkiest dialog options and shooting Legionnaires whenever possible, so I'd like to find something that'll let me do that, more-or-less.

-hits the same kind of structured/non-linear equilibrium (too little structure and I lose interest or don't know what the gently caress I should be doing at any given time, but too much linearity and you lose the cool open world wandering vagrant feel- for example, I really liked Alpha Protocol, but while it gave you a lot of options the way its missions are structured would be a little too linear for what I have in mind)
-has a wide variety of options in most situations (not a limited "GOOD GUY/BAD GUY" morality system) and lets you choose who you want to help, negotiate with, fight, etc.
-has action-y combat where I have direct control of my character pretty much all of the time
-isn't terribly text-heavy (I don't mind reading- in fact I actually quite like it- but to be perfectly honest I just don't feel like playing a game where I'll be constantly reading walls of text right now)

Goon favorites: Arcanum: of Magic and Steamworks Obscura and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm looking for a linear, immersive RPG/Adventure title. Something along the lines of Dark Messiah, Metro 2033, or that older one I forget the name of, where you're the Chosen One and everyone lives underground...something starting with an A? Sort of like that, too.

Basically, I want a game that reward exploration, but doesn't have you tromping across the world. One where each treasure you find is valuable, not just vendor trash. No backtracking, no huge expansive sidequests, just a series of dungeons, a plot, maybe a skill tree? Basically I want Dark Messiah's sequel. Someone make that happen.