Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

The source of everyone's favorite Hitler meme is on Netflix streaming now, Downfall. I watched it last night and thought it was pretty good. The movie dramatizes the last weeks of Hitler's life as Berlin falls to the Russians and Hitler's hold on power collapses. The movie is pretty depressing--it's basically 2.5 hours of watching people await and meet their inevitable death.

I was initially drawn to this because of all the YouTube parodies, but this is really an excellent film.

It also doesn't all take place inside the bunker even though much of it does. There are a surprising number of scenes in other locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

For those of you into quirky indie films with rapid fire witty stage play dialogue, and Parker Posey, I recommend checking out The House of Yes.

It's adapted from a play (sometimes the "stagey" aspect of the screenplay draws you out of suspension of disbelief a bit) about a young man named Marty who brings his thoroughly ordinary fiancee home to meet his bizarre family over the holidays. The Tennessee Williams-esque family includes his brother who dropped out of college and his mercurial, mentally unstable Kennedy obsessed twin sister, who goes by the name Jackie-O, dresses in pillbox hats and pearls accordingly and is played by Parker Posey (operating at peak charm) who basically owns the whole movie with this part.

There are dark family secrets and sexual taboos that are explored over the course of a dramatically stormy night. Genevieve Bujold presides as the matriarch of the strange brood who harbors some secrets of her own.

There is a bit of everything including a twisted, erotically charged re-enactment of the JFK assassination, if you never thought you'd see those descriptors attached to that event.

I just happened to catch this on cable by chance some years ago and was fairly captivated and just rewatched it since it was on Netflix and still find it very entertaining. The main drawback of the film are the Tori Spelling and Freddie Prinze Jr. characters, respectively the fiancee and dropout brother. The parts and actors are kind of bland and seem to be filling space and time for the main attractions.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

edit: gently caress I'm sorry I posted about TV shows in Cinema Discusso but I couldn't find this thread in TVIV either.

Here's a more detailed review than I planned on...

Universe/Space/Planet/Galaxy/Whatever Documentary Face-Off!

The Universe versus How The Universe Works (Discovery [I think], Documentary/Tv Show)

What do you get when they've removed Cosmos from instant streaming? Well, other than 'not Carl Sagan' and 'updated CGI' and 'new information'... not much.

The Universe spans a whopping 5 'seasons' (@64 episodes) and is relatively recent (2007-2010).

The great thing about the number of episodes is that they're able to cover a lot of newer information in a depth that you wouldn't have known from watching Cosmos. For instance, there's a whole episode concerning pulsars and quasars, and the inner planets! The bad news is that there are a lot of episodes. This means 'filler'. A prime example? "Sex in Space".

The CGI in each episode is more than adequate, and definitely an update if you compare it to Cosmos.

The series also boasts a cast of regular scientists who add to the episode. Some try to act like Sagan (deGrasse-Tyson), some explain things pretty well- if just a little too excited (Fillipenko), and others act like they were supposed to be on VH1's "I love the 80's" instead (I forget the name). An unexpected treat is a scientist who goes from being pretty cute in the first season to "probably should eat a hamburger" by the 5th season.

Unfortunately, its main failing is that it is a little too tabloid-ish. There are times when it tries to be a little too loud, little too scary, or a little too sexy about some things. These things would have been explained calmly and introspectively by Carl Sagan's crew.

Overall, "The Universe" is pretty good at what it does. It'll give a layman interested in the awesome facts about the universe some pretty awesome stuff to think about. It won't of course, bowl anyone over who doesn't already know all about it, however. I do recommend it.

How the Universe Works (Discovery, Documentary/TV show)

Here's the newest kid on the universe block. Want the god damned sexiest graphics you've ever seen? Here it is. Get ready to take off your (sweat)pants and tug on your string theory!

This 2010-Present show or miniseries shares a lot of the same scientists making comments as the former TV series. The episodes have a lot of the same information, but with prettier graphics. I mean, really pretty graphics. Stuff that almost looks 3D.

There's a big problem, though. It is all style and no substance. There isn't much in this series that you wouldn't have learned from watching the former series. The lack of substance is readily apparent throughout an episode. The episode may be about the expanding universe, but they'll repeat a term - in 40 different ways - in a span of 3 minutes. It is irritating, to say the least. An example:

Our universe is expanding faster than it was before
Some say our universe is now expanding faster
The universe speeds apart and unimaginable speeds

Yes, it is paraphrased. However, I assure you the repetition is that obvious and that annoying. What makes it even more frustrating are the episode titles. You may have an episode dedicated to a VERY NON SPECIFIC topic, but they'll repeat something a billion times.

Perhaps they blew all their budget on their pretty graphics. It's a possibility. Although, its probably just like a Van Damme movie. I mean, yes, there ARE pretty graphics. They are also repeated, a lot. Just like the narration.

Imagine watching a Van Damme movie without the action, and about the universe, and starring a few Astronomers. The same planet blowing up, from the same angle, in slow motion. Apparently, that is essentially How the Universe Works.

I'd heartily recommend The Universe over How the Universe Works in every category unless you want prettier CGI and a narrator/sound effects who are slightly more able to put you in a relaxing state. The latter isn't unwatchable, just not as intellectual as the former- believe it or not.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 7, 2011

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

trip9 posted:

Dogtooth

A dark Greek comedy about a man who keeps his family isolated from society and raises his kids to believe ludicrous things, like that cats are horrible flesh eating creatures. It's as bizarre as it sounds.

I watched this a few months back and I have to say it is one the the greatest movies I have ever seen. It is just so incredibly different than anything else, in a way that kept me fascinated the whole time trying to figure out what was going on. Anything more than your description would really ruin the movie. Everyone should watch this. Can anyone recommend me anything similar to this movie?

Another one of my favorites is Independent Lens: Between the Folds. While it may sound like a movie about fat chicks it is really about origami and the people that create it. I know that might sound rather boring but to just see that some of these masters can create with a single piece of paper is completely astonishing. My mind was blown.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
They have Walker (1987) directed by Alex Cox on streaming now. I really like the movies of his that I've seen, and Repo Man is probably my favorite movie. I never saw Walker before now, but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

It's a bizarre Peckinpah-influenced retelling of the story of William Walker, delusional American conqueror and president of Nicaragua 1856-7. Ed Harris is IMO amazing as Walker and the movie is not for everyone but it is unique.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wabbit posted:

They have Walker (1987) directed by Alex Cox on streaming now. I really like the movies of his that I've seen, and Repo Man is probably my favorite movie. I never saw Walker before now, but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

It's a bizarre Peckinpah-influenced retelling of the story of William Walker, delusional American conqueror and president of Nicaragua 1856-7. Ed Harris is IMO amazing as Walker and the movie is not for everyone but it is unique.

Oh hell yeah. And I thought was excited for Insidious popping up. The ten minutes Marlee Maitlin is in this film, she's brilliant.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This thread is a beautiful thread, now I'll have something to watch other than Top Gear.

Anyway, I wanted to recommend a movie, but it's only available in the Brazilian Netflix, so that's going nowhere. Instead, I'll take the opportunity to simply echo whoever recommended The Great Happiness Space. It's a pretty good documentary about an interesting "profession" that becomes sorta disturbing as they expand on the hosts and clients.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Doctor Butts posted:

Universe/Space/Planet/Galaxy/Whatever Documentary Face-Off!

I watched a few episodes of The Universe and thought it was a little cheesy, but now I'm going to have to give it another go. Haven't tried How The Universe Works yet, but I probably will because I'm a sucker for science shows.

There's also Into The Universe With Stephen Hawking. There are only three episodes, and they're all mostly fascinating. It's narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch, who apparently played Hawking in some TV movie that I haven't seen, but he does a nice job. While it does oversimplify a lot of things and get a little cheesy and a little sensationalist at times, I think it's fairly intellectual, and I love Hawking's theories on stuff. The episode on time travel was particularly interesting, as well as The Story of Everything, which is a fairly comprehensive (for a TV show), extended episode about the life of the Universe. I recommend it if you're down with Cosmos/Universe/etc.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 10, 2011

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Hey Canucks, the first three seasons of Breaking Bad has finally been put online. Not totally sold on it yet, but it is supposedly amazing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stratdax posted:

Hey Canucks, the first three seasons of Breaking Bad has finally been put online. Not totally sold on it yet, but it is supposedly amazing.

There's nothing supposed about it.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Stick with it. The first season didn't fully hook me but it just gets better and better. Season 4 was like some kind of gift from the television gods.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Wilhelm Scream posted:

The Lost and The Girl Next Door are also really loving good, too.

I had to come back to this because I took the time to watch both of these and holy gently caress are there some disturbing scenes in both of these films. The Lost is a little slow just generating attachment to the characters until the last 20 minutes when the movie just goes batshit crazy and The Girl Next Door starts making you squirm uncomfortably after about 30 minutes until the end of the film.

I've read that the crime it tells is the exact same one depicted in An American Crime but I haven't had a chance to compare. Regardless, it's pretty unsettling to know that the acts committed in that movie really happened to someone. Very strong acting in both though and I'll be trying to find Offspring and The Woman now. I read someone around here state that The Woman is misogynistic and cruel but after viewing these two movies, I'd just call that par for the course.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Mouser.. posted:

I've read that the crime it tells is the exact same one depicted in An American Crime but I haven't had a chance to compare. Regardless, it's pretty unsettling to know that the acts committed in that movie really happened to someone. Very strong acting in both though and I'll be trying to find Offspring and The Woman now. I read someone around here state that The Woman is misogynistic and cruel but after viewing these two movies, I'd just call that par for the course.

According to Wikipedia, the actual events were actually worse than what is shown in The Girl Next Door.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The Girl Next Door made me ill watching it. It baffles me that humans can be that loving cruel to each other. Goddamn I will never watch that movie again, holy poo poo.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Zwabu posted:

For those of you into quirky indie films with rapid fire witty stage play dialogue, and Parker Posey, I recommend checking out The House of Yes.

YES YES YES The House of Yes!

Parker Posey's best role, she does a really believable crazy. It's sort of weird that Prinze Jr. and Spelling are in this but this is a really odd, unforgettable black comedy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is Big Fan still up? If so, that's a great movie that you should see right away. But fair warning: don't think that it's going to be a laugh-a-minute romp because Patton Oswalt is the main character. It's a black comedy and a great look at the psychological process behind the disillusionment that comes when your idol turns out to be somebody other than the great person you expect him to be.

And if it's not, I have word that Cool as Ice is, which is a black comedy in the sense that it will make your day blacker by watching it.

deviltry
Nov 1, 2010

"Don't be humble. You're not that great."
The Great Happiness Space
This was awesome, thanks goons! Highly recommend watching if you're into learning more about this part of Japanese sub-culture. Or, just about relationships between client and host. Definitely WTF moments in there.

I'll also recommend this Netflix stream:

Paris is Burning
This 1980s documentary is like a dance and culture documentary. If you've seen Madonna's "Vogue" video, this is where she got the idea from. Chronicles the ball culture of New York City and the African American, Latino, gay and transgender communities involved in it. It also does a thoughtful job of exploring race, gender, and class issues that were problematic of the time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think I've rewatched Paris is Burning more than any other film in the past year.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Doctor Butts posted:

How the Universe Works (Discovery, Documentary/TV show)

Just so people know, this is commentated by the amazing Mike Rowe. I'll watch anything done by him really.

Every episode of [bold]How it's made[/bold] Is on netflix now. Yes it just might be the most boring show ever, but it's a very good show to watch to put you to sleep. If you like to watch something when you fall asleep, give this a go. I doubt that you will make it through one episode.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
What you shouldn't do though is watch Victim, where an old doctor who looks like an elder Andy Dick forces gender reassignment surgery upon some dude. Holy poo poo why did I watch it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

forever whatever posted:

What you shouldn't do though is watch Victim, where an old doctor who looks like an elder Andy Dick forces gender reassignment surgery upon some dude. Holy poo poo why did I watch it.

Awesome post/avatar combo.

I watched Bob le Flambeur (Bob the Gambler) last night, a French film noir thriller by Melville. The plot is that an aging ex-con assembles a team for one last big heist, which I think it must have had a lot of influence on other heist/gangster films, such as Ocean's 11. I read an interview with Francis Ford Coppola a while ago, where he extols cinema as a young art form that's still developing, and you can plainly see it in this film; there were a few cuts between scenes that I thought were out of place, like a vertical wipe.

Brick is out on netflix as well, if it hasn't been mentioned already. It's like a neo-noir set in a high school, and I think it's worth it just for the dialogue alone. Also, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a hard-boiled gumshoe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
William Friedkin's excellent To Live And Die In L.A. is on Streaming, so long as we're talking about "neo-noir".

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
On the subject of The Universe and How the Universe works I was looking for science or even other documentaries that go in depth into their subject. I've been watching nova scienceNOW and while the subjects are interesting it just seems to dumbed down so much as to squander the material it's working with. I'm no science genius by any stretch of the imagination I would just prefer to have to pause to look a term or something up rather than feeling like I'm a 3rd grader or they could have explained all of it in 10 minutes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It's not "great" by any means but I highly recommend watching Space Precinct. Imagine old school Dr Who mixed with a 90s American cop show, it's real sci fi channel material me and another goon stumbled on during a night of flixing. Watch it and don't tell me you aren't amazed this show exists and you haven't heard of it

The intro if you need more convincing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkW_k8FZMGY

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two Lovers with Joaquin Phoenix is fantastic. Joaquin Phoenix plays a depressed man who moves back into his parent's home after his fiancee breaks off their engagement. He ends up in a love triangle between a crazy pretty woman that he wants, and a sweet pretty woman that wants him. It's a situation that nearly everyone runs into in one way or another at least once in their lives, and It's depressing as all hell and makes you want to strangle Joaquin Phoenix several times, but I heartily recommend it.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 14, 2011

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Wristcutters: A Love Story

Not sure how well-known this one is, but I just happened to see it recommended on there and checked it out. It's about a guy who kills himself because his girlfriend broke up with him and he ends up in a strange purgatory-like place. He eventually learns his girlfriend killed herself as well, so he sets out to find her. I guess this movie is kind of a black-comedy? It has some funny moments, but it's not joke after joke after joke. The movie itself has a similar feel to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, so if you loved that one you should definitely check this one out.

This is fantastic. Everyone should see this. I saw it years ago and still frequently claim anything I lost fell into the void underneath the passenger seat.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Wristcutters was alright, I saw it years ago before I gave a gently caress about Tom Waits. If there are any Tom Waits fans in this thread, he has a small role. I loving love Shannyn Sossoman though. Speaking of which, she's in a terribly hosed up film on Instant called, no poo poo, Life is Hot in Cracktown, a film I watched because the title was ridiculous.

I honestly have no idea how a movie this grim and mean-spirited got made. It opens with a brutal gangrape and goes downhill from there. It's like a cinematic gangrape, but I absolutely hate myself so I watched the whole thing!

scottish
Nov 2, 2011

Not actually Scottish

maxnmona posted:

This was added today to Instant Watch, and I clicked the description because I assumed it would be funny, but...well, it actually sounds really interesting http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Machete_Maidens_Unleashed/70145743

I know this is from a few pages back, but Machete Maidens Unleashed is a fun-as-hell documentary, and I kept passing it over until I saw your post. I'm watching it right now, and it's really goddamned good. If you've got any interest in 70's drive-in/exploitation stuff, definitely give it a shot.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Just dropping in to mention that I recently found a steaming source for Local Hero. Despite its place in the BFI 100 British films, and Al Gore having once upon a time singled it out as his favorite movie, it's a bit obscure, quirky and hard to find, so although the source happens to be Amazon VOD rather than Netflix, I wanted to mention it here in case there are others who remember this as fondly, and find it as charming, as I do.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 20, 2011

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
FAO: Non USA folk.

It's a bit grey area due to licensing but I've been using this site for a while to access Netflix, Amazon VOD and other sites from the UK for a few months. No idea if it's a huge datamining scam or anything but I've had no problems in almost a year, the price is negligible and the service is unbeatable. To sign up for Netflix use your debit/credit card but pick a random US address.

As for a recommendation, I can't check at the moment but Michael Mann's The Keep should be streaming still. It's interesting solely because it's a cult status film that has never been released on DVD, but is on Netflix in DVD quality. It's a nice little oddity and good to see something you'll not see anywhere else in the near future.

vvv oops, revealing insight into my viewing habits there.

number one pta fan fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 21, 2011

FiTreDawG
Oct 7, 2006
We Are... Marshall
It looks like they just added "Page One". A documentary about the death of print media and the struggles that the New York Times has with it. It is staged around the Wikileaks drama and how that information was distributed to the masses. It primarily follows a "cut from the old cloth" reporter named Robert Carr. I really enjoyed it and was very surprised to see it on there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1787777/

Edit - spoilered and IMDB link just in case

FiTreDawG fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 20, 2011

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

number one pta fan posted:

FAO: Non USA folk.

It's a bit grey area due to licensing but I've been using this site for a while to access Netflix, Amazon VOD and other sites from the UK for a few months. No idea if it's a huge datamining scam or anything but I've had no problems in almost a year, the price is negligible and the service is unbeatable. To sign up for Netflix use your debit/credit card but pick a random US address.

That link points to an IMDB page for a movie called Evil Bong.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

stratdax posted:

That link points to an IMDB page for a movie called Evil Bong.

Obviously using the Evil Bong grants foreigners access to our highly valued streaming websites, this must be stopped.

Also, I think I've said this before in other threads but everyone should check out Blood and Lace, one of the most underrated early '70s Horror flicks.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Man, I hope I'm not the only one furiously adding new stuff to his Instant Queue from this thread. I just got done watching Pontypool. Amazing movie.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Alan Smithee posted:

It's not "great" by any means but I highly recommend watching Space Precinct. Imagine old school Dr Who mixed with a 90s American cop show, it's real sci fi channel material me and another goon stumbled on during a night of flixing. Watch it and don't tell me you aren't amazed this show exists and you haven't heard of it

The intro if you need more convincing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkW_k8FZMGY

I was reading this post and thinking "drat, this sounds an awful lot like the way I discovered it, flipping through Netflix with another goon named...oh yeah, you. Seriously, it's good fun for the entire family, as long as you're okay with cheese and you're not sober.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Peep Show is now on Netflix. I made a thread about it a year ago, and pretty much the best way to describe it is as a First Person Comedy. The show is shown from the perspective of the leads. It's an amazing show about two hosed up people who do terrible things to each other and other people, and yet, we still love them.

This is where it starts, :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nprCxk6dRNc, and it ends up somewhere along here: :nws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbLMqGo9MQ. :nws:

Yeah, just a warning, the second clip might be considered very hosed up, so if you find that funny, you'll love this show. If not...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

Peep Show is now on Netflix. I made a thread about it a year ago, and pretty much the best way to describe it is as a First Person Comedy. The show is shown from the perspective of the leads. It's an amazing show about two hosed up people who do terrible things to each other and other people, and yet, we still love them.

This is where it starts, :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nprCxk6dRNc, and it ends up somewhere along here: :nws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbLMqGo9MQ. :nws:

Yeah, just a warning, the second clip might be considered very hosed up, so if you find that funny, you'll love this show. If not...

And just so everyone knows, it's also definitely the most hosed up moment in the show, so don't let it scare you away if you're just watching it for the first time - most of the show takes place in apartments and offices and such, and is just about how terrible of people they are. They very rarely do anything to that extreme. Or if they do, it's to each other, and they probably deserved it. Absolutely amazing show, though, by far one of the best comedies of the decade.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I noticed something tonight. My brother was trying to watch Session 9 on his Wii and it was not in the list. He asked me to check my Xbox for it and I saw it in the horror section. I didn't know they had different content lists.

Also, I can turn on subtitles with the Wii Netflix but not on Xbox. Anyone know why?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I watched Adrift on a whim because I have a big gay crush on Vincent Cassel and it turned out to be really fantastic. The cinematography is gorgeous and the score and acting are both great too. Check it out.

Edit: Also I was drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

For Derek Jacobi fans, the first season of the Medieval mystery series Cadfael is now available on Netflix. Somewhat relatedly, I've been keeping my eye out for Foyle's War (a WWII mystery series) and I, Caludius (another series starring Jacobi), but no luck on those fronts yet, at least not via Netflix.

• Locked thread