Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I Watson posted:

Nepeta is the one that ships the relationships of her fellow trolls and roleplays that she is a cat. She is the most popular one with fat cosplayers for some reason. :allears:

I've never been much of an anime person, aside from having a flatmate that watched a lot of Dragonball Z I know next to nothing about the subject. This thread has been... shockingly enlightening. So I have to know.. what is 'shipping' in this context? I'm guessing it doesn't involve a boat?

Also OP, Kat, everyone else who's shared stories... thank you. I wanna hug this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

LooneyBun posted:

I've never been much of an anime person, aside from having a flatmate that watched a lot of Dragonball Z I know next to nothing about the subject. This thread has been... shockingly enlightening. So I have to know.. what is 'shipping' in this context? I'm guessing it doesn't involve a boat?

Also OP, Kat, everyone else who's shared stories... thank you. I wanna hug this thread.

You know that crazy old lady that would go "OH you should marry so-and-so you'd make such a cute couple!"?

Imagine that, but a lot more sexually overt and with fictional characters. They don't necessarily have to be within the same work, either. And it is nowhere near anime-specific. It goes above "I think these two characters are gonna end up together at the end of this story" and into "THESE MORTAL FOES ARE TOTALLY ASSRAPING EACH OTHER BEHIND THE SCENES AND IT IS SO loving SEXY AUGH :shlick:". Shippers often have shipping wars with other shippers over who is actually the correct gay pairing of characters on this saturday morning cartoon for children. It gets really loving creepy. There are no rules or reason for most of the pairings. I watch Supernatural (a live action friday-night show on CW), and a very common thing in the fandom is "Wincest". As in, the two main characters, who are (the Winchester) brothers, having an incestual relationship with each other :suicide:

The worst of them will actually loop back around into the real world and pair up real people. Sometimes it's celebrities, sometimes it's historical figures (Hetalia doesn't help this one), sometimes it's their friends and family.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 10, 2011

Salvador Dahlberg
Nov 22, 2009

Khadhul posted:

Did this happen in Stockholm, Sweden? Because if not, there's more than one set of these people. If it did, more than likely these people are part of my extended circle of friends :suicide:

Well, the good news is that there might only be one of this set of people in the world. The bad news is, well, everything else.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

GenericOverusedName posted:

The worst of them will actually loop back around into the real world and pair up real people. Sometimes it's celebrities, sometimes it's historical figures (Hetalia doesn't help this one), sometimes it's their friends and family.

The TV Tropes article on The Libertines, kickass English punk band, offhandedly mentions the huge amount of gay fanfiction about the two lead singers like it was perfectly normal. Fanfic people look at a band, think "yes, there needs to be short stories about Pete Doherty's heroin-filled penis going into his best friend," and view that as a perfectly ordinary thing to do with their time.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

The Triumphant posted:

The TV Tropes article on The Libertines, kickass English punk band, offhandedly mentions the huge amount of gay fanfiction about the two lead singers like it was perfectly normal. Fanfic people look at a band, think "yes, there needs to be short stories about Pete Doherty's heroin-filled penis going into his best friend," and view that as a perfectly ordinary thing to do with their time.

In between having very loud and angry arguments about how that is TOTALLY wrong and how Doherty is REALLY loving the lead singer from KISS or whatever in the gently caress.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

LooneyBun posted:

For the record, the verb "to ship" and all of its derivations in this context come from "relationship." I think it was started by star trek fans, just like every nerd thing, but I don't remember where I heard that or if it's at all credible.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
please ignore this post

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 9, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

You've got to be kidding me.

Each of the trolls is pretty much the embodiment of one of the worst aspects of the internet (internet trolls :downs:). Nepeta is the shipper and roleplayer.

That would be the point, yeah.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

"Wincest"

Alright, riddle me this: Why is it called "Wincest?" Was Incest just not a good enough word for them? What does it mean, anyways? "Weird Incest?"

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

Alright, riddle me this: Why is it called "Wincest?" Was Incest just not a good enough word for them? What does it mean, anyways? "Weird Incest?"

They are the Winchester brothers. Winchester + Incest = Wincest.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Lance Streetman posted:

No, they just wanted to arbitrarily put the word "win" into it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tasty and Delicious posted:

I love seeing games attributed for things they didn't create. Terra is indeed the Latin name for Earth, but somewhat confusingly:

quote:

By International Astronomical Union convention, the term terra is used only for naming extensive land masses on celestial bodies other than the Earth
So either way, naming the earth Terra is nerd-level retarded. In the future people will completely forget Nordic or Hindi gods existed and that all their names must have come from Finaly Fantasy 20.
I don't think Dickeye was suggesting that 40K 'invented' referring to the Earth as Terra, but more that it was amusing that two elements of 40K's backstory (one of which was Terra) happened to marry up to Brian's aspirations.

(In the future nobody will be using the IAU because it doesn't dictate common-use names and not everyone will be astronomers located on Earth.)

Lance Streetman posted:

It's a 4chan portmanteau of "win" and "incest". That's pretty much all that needs to be said for 4chan.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ghostlight posted:

It's a 4chan portmanteau of "win" and "incest". That's pretty much all that needs to be said for 4chan.
In the case of Supernatural, it's also because the brothers' last name is Winchester.

Party Spock
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody have a logical time
Uglynoodles, thank you very much for starting this thread. I'm glad your life is better now. Also, I know it was ages ago, but

uglynoodles posted:

I wonder what he 'did' to piss her off, and if he has custody of one or all of their seven children.

made me belly laugh after a long day.

Despite having been a little too involved with the anime/yaoi fandom for a while, I never really met any real weirdos in the flesh, although there was one girl I used to roleplay with who came on one day and claimed she had cut her wrists.

With a screwdriver. Yeah.

Literally, she was typing with her wrists bleeding all over the keyboard (from where she'd apparently cut them with a loving screwdriver). I said a few cursory "go and get help"s but obviously she didn't get the response she wanted so she "put a plaster on it" a few minutes later.

Actually, now that I think about it, online roleplayers are all kind of crazy. I'm really glad I grew out of it and got into LARP, which is famous for being full of stable, well-rounded individuals.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I too hung out with a bunch of anime fans during high school. The worst of them that I encountered was a girl who drat near broke my arm because I mentioned a character she had claimed as "hers" was my favorite from an anime - I think it was Xellos from Slayers or something. She maintained a crushing grip on my arm, whining at me until I "claimed" another character. Yeah I kind of mentally pledged to not get that stupid about anime after that.

We also had an older friend who considered herself the mother of the group and insisted we call her "kassan." When I pointed out that the correct spelling was actually "okaasan" she told me she liked her spelling of it better (plus she had a custom license plate made with her version). I never considered us very close ( we maybe hung out alone once), but when I visited her a few months ago she had a small picture of me included with her "family." Little weird.

My friends and I would also trade a notebook back and forth in which we would write out a fanfic where we were princesses and our favorite male characters from any genre were madly in love with us and we led the perfect lives. Typical teenage girl stuff I guess.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Lyz posted:

My friends and I would also trade a notebook back and forth in which we would write out a fanfic where we were princesses and our favorite male characters from any genre were madly in love with us and we led the perfect lives. Typical teenage girl stuff I guess.

Wow, I didn't know anyone else did that. It kinda makes me feel better for my awkward middle school years.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.

Lyz posted:

One of my best friends in high school did this with another girl (who I didn't know), except instead of using characters they wrote about ACTUAL GUYS who went to our school. And it wasn't, like, crazy fictional stuff either, it was all stuff that could have realistically happened. For instance, A would write B a story where B and the guy she liked walked to the convenience store, bought drinks, went swimming in B's pool, and hosed. It was all very :stare:

Then my friend discovered smoking pot and actually banging dudes while the other girl apparently got really into anime. The moral of the story is that some people are fuckin weird.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
Jesus, I thought my ex was a loving nutjob, but I now know better. She was not involved in any of the anime stuff discussed here.

Still....her delusions were sort of sad yet amusing. She became deeply religious after we had been together for a while. She believed Jesus told her He was going to give her a billion dollars. Yep, one billion. She called God "daddy" and said she was looking forward to seeing Him in Heaven so she could just curl up in his lap and cuddle with Him.

So, that pretty much ended things with us.

Uglynoodles, thank you for sharing all this. I have definitely 5'd and bookmarked this thread, and look forward to any more you might have to add.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ask me about studying law with a girl who thinks she's married to Sai Baba

Previously:
The Girl in the Sari
A Note on Henriette
Phantom in Honolulu
The Girl who Thinks She's Married to Sai Baba & Part 2
The Thespian Society

Interlude 1: Raja Discovers Blogging
Interlude 2: Le Fursécution!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amnesia - The Friendship Descent

For the first few months of the first semester, Henriette was best friends with Shini. Shini was a bit of a loner and had a rather negative personality, which did not mesh with the girls of our batch and inadvertently made her an outcast. It didn’t help that she was mates with That Girl, which caused her to have only one friend in college.

Henriette and Shini were completely BFF and everything seemed fine to everyone. Shini was quiet and just agreed with whatever Henriette suggested, although Shini was never really into the whole Sai Baba thing. Shini told her she was not going to wear a sari to class everyday, which Henriette found confusing and hurtful since Shini is Indian. Shini also could not and refused to sing or dance.

I was not aware of this until very recently, but Lisa Lisa realised at some point in the first semester Shini’s situation of having only one friend. They also noticed Henriette was not as warm to Shini as she was in the beginning weeks, for reasons they are not aware of. The Thespian Society was also officially formed, and Henriette had started pre-production on the stage play.

One of the professional exercises we did was a mock client conference. Basically, you were to act as a legal aid lawyer with given example scenarios, and had 15 minutes to interview a potentially uncooperative “client” you have to defend in court. One of these involved a young woman caught shoplifting, and the student playing the “client” was given instructions that she wanted to lie to the Court by saying she fell down the stairs and could not remember a thing.

One day, Henriette came to class looking like her head was in a cloud. She was dressed sloppily like she just crawled out of bed instead of a sari. When Shini greeted her, she looked at her like Shini was a crazy person. I suspected something was off and asked Shini, who did not know a thing either. I wanted to figure out what the gently caress but pretended things were normal.

:v: : Hey Henriette, we are distributing notes for the equity class later. Have you gotten a copy?
:byodame: : Equity?
:v: : The class with Harold later?
:byodame: : I do… law?
:stare: : Uh... here’s one copy. I’ll go grab one for myself.
:byodame: : Okay. Thank you, kind sir.

Shini saw the whole thing and was pretty distressed. She went to Henriette and asked her what was wrong, but Henriette just stared at her in a stony expression. The whole class was starting to get suspicious, and the last thing I wanted was a spectacle involving Henriette. As of then, only a couple of my closest friends knew about my “date” with Henriette, so the class was not aware of how crazy she was.

Lisa Lisa came to class late, so I quietly let them in to what was going on. Similarly concerned, they spoke to Henriette and amazingly Henriette knew who they were. She immediately took to them like they were her true friends and completely ignored Shini. Figuring something bad happened to Henriette, Lisa Lisa took Henriette to the law faculty dean.

All the while when Lisa Lisa spoke to Henriette, Shini stayed deathly quiet. When they left she looked at me. Her expression was one of pure confusion, and crushing defeat. It was absolutely harrowing and I knew there was nothing I could do to help her. After that, without a word she went to her desk, packed her things, and went home. She did not attend class the whole day.

According to Lisa Lisa later, Henriette told the law faculty dean the last thing she recalled was falling down the stairs the afternoon before, somewhere around 2pm, and that she was supposed to attend some class in college she wasn’t aware of. While Lisa Lisa were talking to the dean, Henriette stood up, turned off the lights, then turned it on again. Lisa Lisa and the dean guessed she had amnesia, so they arranged for a cab to bring her to hospital. Henriette insisted Lisa Lisa go with her and nobody else.

Lisa Lisa both had a different scenario from the shoplifting girl one in the mock client conference.

Henriette’s accident was so serious that apparently the hospital could not find anything wrong with her – no bruises, no blood clot, nothing. They even did a brain scan (according to Lisa Lisa) which revealed nothing either. It was apparently serious enough that Henriette’s parents came down from East Malaysia to check on her (2-3 hours’ flight).

Henriette’s admission to hospital of course made the rounds, and we made arrangements to visit her. This never happened, as Lisa Lisa called me to tell us that Henriette said she was still confused and did not want visitors. Lisa Lisa also told me that if we wanted to, we could pool some money and they would buy a cake for Henriette’s birthday, which unfortunately had to be celebrated in the hospital. When’s Henriette’s birthday? I asked.

It’s a belated birthday thing, said Lisa Lisa. Her birthday was the day she fell down the stairs.

Lisa Lisa would later inform a few of us that Shini had forgotten Henriette’s birthday and only realised it after Henriette was admitted to hospital.

A couple of weeks later, Henriette’s parents left and Henriette was back with us, right as rain. She was singing spontaneously again, wearing her white sari and bindi, being dramatic as hell, the usual.

One thing changed, however. She was no longer talking to Shini.

Here’s something strange. Remember how I mentioned that the Thespian Society was doing pre-production for the stage play, and a number of law faculty members were in it? Well, one of the more popular girls was in the play as lead dancer. She distinctively remembered Henriette doing choreography with her and the other dancers the evening of Henriette’s birthday, several hours after the accident. Which meant that Henriette lost all memories of her education, her best friend, her coursemates, but not complicated dance moves and the dancers in her play.

I admit I don’t know much about how amnesia works but that is pretty loving :psyduck: for me. If anyone more knowledgeable has anything to say about it, please do.

Shini never made another friend and stayed alone the rest of her time in college. She stopped going to the Thespian Society and left college before the second semester begun.

Shini is now presumably working in Australia after completing a degree in business.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oh, my God. Anime attracts the weirdest of all people -comic books too, so don't think you are safe-

I was once an Animu-kawaii desu freak. I guess I'm going to end confessing a lot of poo poo here, but it's going to be a good way to leave it all behind once and for all. I was lame and tame compared with Denise.

I became obsessed with anime around the age of 13. I had seen anime before, but they were just Sunday cartoons for me. The moment I was exposed to violent poo poo like Saint Seiya [The series where transmitted uncensored in my country]. I turned in what you are thinking right now, a lonely, overweight dork who would think of herself as a special snowflake and wouldn't miss a chapter of her favorite anime. I think I reached the part where I wouldn't shower and take care of my body. My social life was ZERO, to that add that my mother was completely overprotective and would always dictate the way I should dress and who I was going to be friends with. For a moment you would think everything changed when I decided to lose a lot of weight and entered Preparatory School.

Yay! New school! New friends! Oh wait...does said friends like anime too? Oh! I just got internet! What is this? What is Evangelion? How exciting! I was once again the overweight nerd, but this time I had friends who shared the same hobbies. It wasn't bad, at least I wasn't SO lonely. I spent several years spending my money in useless trading cards, manga, bootleg DVDs and so on. During those years I was incredibly naive, and never knew what was real sex or had any interest in it. I actually never went through the 'OMG BOYZ!' teen phase...which is very weird, but I did end having several "crushes" on anime characters...which is WEIRDER. Piccolo from Dragon Ball was one of those crushes.

I also ended as a mod in a Mexican Anime forum, I remember a few users; there was the couple of 15 year olds that forgot to use a rubber and named their daughter "Saori", the 20-something year old guy who was into lolita,, and a girl who would download stuff from DeviantArt and pass it as her own...later when she was called out many white knights appeared to defend her ,claiming that she was an incredibly good tracer and could imitate drawings with detailed perfection.

About me? I was into yaoi. Quite a lot. All I knew about gay sex was about the things you could see in manga and anime and nothing else. I think I never dared to see real gay porn until later on when I finally got laid.

And well, one day, after wasting my time watching Naruto and a million new series I realized that indeed it was a waste of time. That most anime was utter cheap crap. And I simply stopped. :D But it doesn't end there! I found a new hobby and it was roleplaying! YAY! And I could roleplay "gay" characters now! I got into Metalocalypse and you can blame me as one of the first fangirls that did horrible fanfics and fantart of Nathan loving Toki or something. I left the fandom, and any other fandom, when I realized the type of girls that you would find out there. Metalocalypse fangirls tend to be incredibly annoying, some even tried to make canon the Toki/Swiskgaar gay sex thing in Wikipedia. Until today I can't watch a single chapter of that cartoon.

Of course, I still roleplay, but only when I'm bored or just to kill the time when I have a lazy day. Recently I had to deal with a crazy girl. At first she was nice and pretended to be a boy, then claimed to be transexual. I have nothing against transexuals, whatever you want to do is not my business just be happy; but this girl was clearly doing it for attention.

Then she would swear she was from the UK, and created an elaborated story about how she was moving with her mother to Canada. She did that days after I added her to my Facebook [She was Canadian, living in Canada]. Suddenly she turned very clingy, would keep chatting with me for hours and would get upset any time I said to her I had to leave because I was late for classes, even tried to get my into Second Life. I found Second Life boring, so I deleted that lovely thing. Then she had an unhealthy obsession with my crappy roleplay characters, specially with one, and she simply snapped the day I announced I was going to delete everything and just stick to one character because I was a very busy University student; and roleplaying is simply a funny hobby for me after all. She called me names: a oval office, an ice queen, she even threatened with drinking bleach. I got around 6 angry e-mails from her in the span of 3 minutes. I ended blocking her from any social network, but that didn't stop her from stalking me and my girlfriend for a long time. I think she stopped recently, of course after many months of me ignoring her. Nowadays I found out she took that character she was obsessed with and made another person roleplay that for her. Whatever, I'm a freak? She is a bigger one.

Today I still like dorky things but in a very healthy way, and try to go out with my friends as much as I can. I haven't watched anime in years, I don't even have a clue what's new. Mother doesn't dress me anymore, rest assure, but I'm still fighting to detach myself completely from her...moving out was a first step.

Sorry about the wall text and probably not so shocking story.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

:words:

Seeing as I have an otherwise useless Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, I can say with authority that it is staggeringly rare for amnesia cases to present in the fashion we see them in film, on TV, and in the case of Henriette. It does happen, but it's very rare. Someone might lose some specific memories of arbitrary things, or more commonly (as in the case of the trauma-induced amnesia Henriette was trying to fake) lose memory of events immediately following the trauma. "Who am I? Where Am I? Who are all these people?" amnesia, as near as makes no difference, doesn't exist.

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!
I went to college (and briefly dated) a guy named Kevin. Kevin loved to write. He wasn't very good at it, and despite being laughed out of every critique and automatically denied every time he submitted to publishers, Kevin was convinced that his magnum opus novels would eventually be famous.

But Kevin's truest love wasn't his own work, but several of the books by Stephen King. Kevin explained to us that some of King's books were "organic". That is to say they existed complete in a perfect living way and King was merely the one who recorded them. Dark Tower series was foremost of the organic books, along with Firestarter and several others. He pointed out repeated themes, characters and sayings as being, somehow, proof that the books were organic. The rest of King's works? poo poo. He hated The Shining and Carrie. He thought that without that organic inspiration, King's actual "written works" were worthless.

But there was an issue with the organic works! Even his beloved Dark Tower series. Outside forces, like King's editors, family, and King himself had deletedand changed the perfected text. Oh how he hated King for this. But it was alright. He mentally had acess to the original version and put himself to work correcting the flawed text King had put down.

I was eventually allowed to read some. He had his changes in red. Some of the changes were small. He'd decide the "true color" of something was blue instead of red, or minute details like that. He'd frequently change the descriptions of landscapes and buildings. Additionally, there was a chapter where he wrote a brief encounter with the characters who just happened to be from his novels (which were, of course, also organically derived. It proved both his theory and the true genius nobody recognized about his novel!)

But the largest overarching change was the addition of one of the weirdest self-inserts I have ever read. The character he wrote was blatantly him, although he acted amazed, shocked, surprised when I pointed this out. How amazing! His soul twin was present in the original text! He hadn't done that, no. He had merely written what was originally there. But his soul twin must be why he was connected with the original text so strongly.

His character in the text would pop up irregularly. There'd be random additions that he had entered the room, or was changed out to be the one handing an item to another character. He would describe how this character was thinking and feeling something. But he never actually DID anything or affected anything. It reminded me down the road of that SCP named Fred. He was just there.
I remember in one scene, several of the main characters were discussing something, and suddenly Kevin's character piped in with some sort of "hey guys, lets do this instead!" to which the other characters momentarily considered, and then responded "no" and went back to their original conversation.

Somehow he had written himself in, not as the main character, or the most important and well loved character, like some of these other stories. Instead, he was written in like your younger cousin who mom made you and the older kids play with, despite him being annoying and smelling like fishsticks.

None of which made Kevin reprehensible. This did:
After I knew him for a while, but long before I knew about his writing Kevin and I had bumped into each other at lunchtime, and sat down together. We made small talk for a while, and then Kevin leaned across the table towards me.
"I want you to know something about me, something very few people know about me. My parents divorced when I was 13. 3 years later I got my custody changed to my father. But in the time in between, my mom repeatedly raped me."

I set my drink down, and good Psychology student I was, thanked him for telling me and told me that I was there if he needed to share.
No, that was alright, he just wanted me to know.

It primarily became apparent that the part about few people knowing wasn't true. He had told everyone. Which, fine. If it helps you heal, tell the lunch lady, I don't care. It even was on the paperwork he had me help him with when he filed for disability services "My learning disability was accentuated by the repeated rape and sexual assault at the hands of my mother..." etc.

His favorite phrase was "rape is about control". Which, fair enough. But he said it to a weird degree, and we quickly realized he spun that comment in weird ways. For instance, he didn't believe that child molesters should be called as such. Because, you see, thier actions weren't fueled by control, it was by sexual attraction to children! He thought they should be punished because their actions were "socially unacceptable", but not be "saddled with the term rapist".

The true extent of his delusion came a few years later. Some of his papers had gotten mixed with mine, and I came across them long after we broke off contact for some other major reasons. The one was a letter addressed to his maternal grandmother, which was headed "the rapes by my mother".

The first few paragraphs ripped into his mothers family, and then he started this convoluted explanaton that rape is about control. Therefore, any time his mother had "controlled" him, she was in fact doing the same as raping him. He then goes to outline several of the "rapes" he had at the hands of his mother. They included her grounding him for hitting her (the mental stress! The loss of power!), her forcing him to getting help for his dyscalculia (how embarrassing!), the fact that she started forcing him to take showers or withheld allowance (the loss of personal liberty!), and perhaps WORST of all the single mother of two once went and bought a new refrigerator instead of buying him video games and then claimed they didn't have the money! The last entry was the reason he hit her on the first entry there, by the way.

Biggest manchild I have ever seen otherwise, but yeah.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
:( Christ Hippo, that poor girl. I'm no expert by any means but it just sounds like Henriette was a stupid immature bitch who couldn't speak to her friend like an adult about her birthday being forgotten. And even then, it's a loving birthday. By the time she's thirty, she'll never want to be reminded of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Linear Ouroboros posted:

Basic parenting = rape

Holy loving poo poo. I hope to god he never ended up talking to any actual rape victims like that delusional woman who equated regrets with rape from a few pages back.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Linear Ouroboros posted:

Kevin
Wha...how...

...Now I kinda want to hear his mother's side of the story.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Salvador Dahlberg posted:

Well, the good news is that there might only be one of this set of people in the world. The bad news is, well, everything else.

Haha, rereading your post there is no doubt that I know those guys. I may or may not write up a post detailing some of those people, especially hentai.

Morzox
Oct 29, 2011

FEAR FOR YOUR SOUL

Linear Ouroboros posted:

Organic works
King's just writing them

Sounds like the plot to In The Mouth Of Madness. Not in a good way, either.

linear ouroboros posted:

Stuff about child molesters
... Yeah that's a red flag.

Linear Ouroboros posted:

MY MOM RAPED ME BY GROUNDING ME FOR HITTING HER

And that sounds like Southpark. Granted this guy sounds like a real-life Eric Cartman.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

NvM, the thread has moved on.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
Ugh, how does it come to this? Seriously, my friends and I used to look up to the high school kids at the skate park that smoked pot and drank Jolt. Is this what happens when you don't have a group of punk skaters to look up to?

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
I think now is a good time to tell you all a little bit about Chris and sex.

Chris, for the most part, was quite enthusiastic about sex as a concept. However, any details about the act or expressions of sexuality in actual people made him visibly (and often vocally) uncomfortable. he would talk at length about how excited he was to get married one day and experience the true bliss of two being joining together in blessed conjugation to produce dozens of beautiful children :swoon: but God help you if you mentioned any parts below the waist actually touching, my God, you pervert. I always attributed this to his strict Southern Baptist upbringing and intense social awkwardness, but as I grew older I started to wonder if there wasn't something else going on there.

He was saving it for marriage. Contractually. According to Chris, his mother and father got him drunk on his sixteenth birthday and coerced him into signing a contract to not dip his dick anywhere until he got hitched. To this day I am not certain whether or not this is a lie. It's absurd, but his home life wasn't any less so.

Overall, Chris never struck me as a very sexual person. I'm not even judging that by teenage guy standards, he just didn't express an interest in sex as anything but a consequence of marriage and a means to produce kids. He didn't even slaver over Lisa, the girl he'd decided he would marry and gently caress one day before he even talked to her. He never talked about girls he found attractive, not even in the vaguest sense. Some people might find this sweet or pure-hearted, but the effect was very, very creepy.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
The contract thing wouldn't surprise me if his parents were stupidly religious. In my junior year of high school, I went to pick up a girl for our first date. Her mother sat us both down and talked to us (mainly me) for thirty minutes before pulling out a contract written in as much legalese as she could think up. Basically a page and a half stating that I would not put my hormonally charged teenage dick into her precious daughter's perfect and undamaged vagina.

That relationship lasted a week. Freaked me right the gently caress out.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Soviets posted:

The contract thing wouldn't surprise me if his parents were stupidly religious. In my junior year of high school, I went to pick up a girl for our first date. Her mother sat us both down and talked to us (mainly me) for thirty minutes before pulling out a contract written in as much legalese as she could think up. Basically a page and a half stating that I would not put my hormonally charged teenage dick into her precious daughter's perfect and undamaged vagina.

I see a couple of loopholes in that contract. I think that relationship could have worked out.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

redmercer posted:

I see a couple of loopholes in that contract. I think that relationship could have worked out.

I think the biggest one being that a minor cannot sign a legally binding contract except under very precise circumstances...

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!

Lance Streetman posted:

Wha...how...

...Now I kinda want to hear his mother's side of the story.

I don't know all the details, but I once met his sister, who said that his going to his mother wasn't the result of his fathers long legal battle with his "witch queen" mother, but was the result of his mother not being able to handle him and sending him off to his dad. I got the impression he had become violent, and he was a 6'2" man fully grown.
I don't know if he sent the letter to his grandmother. I hope not, as she seemed like a nice quiet little church lady who sent him presents and care packages of candy bars. I can only imagine how she would have been devastated by the letter.

I think his obsession with King started after I knew him. Several of the themes of his theory were certainly picked up from my friends.

As far as the rest, looking back we all cut him slack as we believed he was a rape victim. We excused his weirdness, his personal space issues, his poor hygeine, his emotional outbursts and refusal to take charge of his life, and his issues with women as signs of his past trauma. The friendship would have ended sooner, and I would have never dated him, had I known the truth.

Steven Seagull
Oct 22, 2010

Soviets posted:

So was the mouth fair game, or...

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The contract is odd but not the craziest thing to come from baptists by a long shot. So maybe it wasn't real but it's certainly possible. Also it's not about being some legal document but more a psychological barrier placed upon the kid by his parents and just a general way of propagating their culture. Having boogeymen to hate (sex havers) is a great way to create social bonds too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tasty and Delicious posted:

Also it's not about being some legal document but more a psychological barrier placed upon the kid by his parents and just a general way of propagating their culture. Having boogeymen to hate (sex havers) is a great way to create social bonds too.

That's pretty loving twisted if you think about it.
Like this goes beyond the idea that abstinence is best, this is like a level above that; sex thoughts = bad.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Soviets posted:

What did the girl think of this? Was it like perfectly normal for her? :psyduck:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Linear Ouroboros posted:

"Organic" works defaced by unscrupulous editors.

Oh my god, this is a near-exact echo of something that happened quite a long time ago in the U.K. Sadly, Kevin is not the first person to whom this happened, and the insanity here may be even more amusing because of its sheer scope and audacity. Here's the story, as narrated by A. E. Housman in his Introductory Lecture of 1892:

A. E. Housman posted:

The classics, I say, must have done for Shakespeare what they did for Milton; but what proportion of mankind are even accessible to this influence? What proportion offer even a foothold for the entrance of literary culture into their minds? The classics can indeed quicken our appreciation of what is excellent; but can they implant it? They can refine our discrimination between good and bad; but can they create it? Take the greatest scholar that England or perhaps that Europe ever bred; a man so great that in his own province he serves for a touchstone of merit and has always been admired by all admirable scholars and despised by all despicable scholars: Richard Bentley. Bentley was born in the year 1662, and he brought with him into the world, like most men born near that date, a prosaic mind; not did all his immense study of the classics avail to confer on him a true appreciation of poetry. While he dealt with the classical poets he was comparatively safe, for in dealing with these a prosaic mind is not so grave a disqualification as a dithyrambic mind; and Bentley had lived with the ancients till he understood them as no one will ever understand them who brings to their study a taste formed on the poetry of Elizabeth's time or ours. But that jealous deity which loves, Herodotus tells us, to strike down towering things, put it into his heart to invade a literature with which he was ill acquainted, and to edit Paradise Lost. He persuaded himself that Milton in his blindness had become the victim of an unscrupulous person, who had introduced into the poem a great deal that Milton never wrote, and had altered for the worse a great deal that he did write. Accordingly, whenever Milton's poetry failed to come up to Bentley's prosaic notions of what poetry ought to be, he detected the hand, or, as he preferred to call it, the fist, of this first editor. Milton relates how `four speedy Cherubim' were sent out with trumpets to summon an assembly. `Four speedy Cherubim' says Bentley: `Not mush need of swiftness to be a good trumpeter. For speedy I suspect the poet gave "Four sturdy Cherubim." Stout, robust, able to blow a strong blast.' Milton relates how Uriel at sunset came to Paradise to warn the guards of the approach of Satan: `Thither came Uriel, gliding through the even.' Bentley insists on altering even to heaven, because, as he acutely observes, evening is a division of time, not space, and consequently you cannot come gliding through it: you might as well say, he exclaims, `came gliding through six o'clock.' Milton relates how Ithuriel found Satan disguised as a toad whispering at the ear of Eve: `Him, thus intent, Ithuriel with his spear Touched lightly.' But Bentley cannot be happy without Ithuriel's motive for doing so, and accordingly inserts a verse of his own composition: `Him, thus intent, Ithuriel with his spear, Knowing no real toad durst there intrude, Touched lightly.' Here was a man of true and even colossal genius, yet you see in matters poetical the profoundest knowledge of the classics profited him nothing, because he had been born without the organs by which poetical excellence is achieved. And so are most men born without them; and the quickening and refining influences special to literature run off them like water off a duck's back. It is the magnet and the churn in the song: `If I can wheedle a knife or a needle, Why not a silver churn?' quoth the magnet; but he found his mistake; and where literature is the magnet most men are silver churns. It is nothing to be ashamed of, though on the other hand it is not much to be conceited about, as some people seem to think it. Different men have different aptitudes, and this aptitude happens to be uncommon; and the majority, not only of other men, but the majority also of professed students of the classics, whatever else they may get from those studies, do not get from them a just appreciation of literary excellence. True, we are not all so easily found out as Bentley, because we have not Bentley's intrepid candour. There is a sort of savage nobility about his firm reliance on his own bad taste: we on the other hand usually fit our judgments not to the truth of things nor even to our own impressions of things, true or false, but to the standard of convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

uglynoodles posted:

- Pawned my Gamecube and all my games to buy it for himself.

Sorry, you mean that he stole it, sold it and then bought an identical console? Because i have trouble comprehending how the gently caress that makes any sense at all.:confused: Did you question him why he did it?

Also thanks for posting all the stories. Usually stories about pathetic pepole just make me depressed but Denise and Brian just seem so horrible i have no ill feelings for them.

Seriously, you're a saint for putting up with them.

• Locked thread