Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

Bummey posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows of a jailbreak app that'll allow you to restrict certain apps from calling home or accessing the data connection? Having to turn on Airplane Mode is annoying and can make me miss calls.
Firewall iP can block all connections to specific apps. It's a paid Cydia app. It's also good for blocking ads (especially in Safari).

Man, I really miss jailbreak stuff (new 4S owner).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bummey posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows of a jailbreak app that'll allow you to restrict certain apps from calling home or accessing the data connection? Having to turn on Airplane Mode is annoying and can make me miss calls.

Can you be more specific? Only thing I can think of is a combination of disabling notifications for said app and maybe using backgrounder to set the app to never stay open?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
To elaborate, I want X app to think it's Offline (or block it from data usage) without actually going through the extra actions of turning Airplane Mode on or disabling Data.

Some apps that would otherwise have no reason to be accessing wireless data like to load annoying advertisements or badges for news items I don't care about (local notifications which cant be disabled by the user are especially horrible). I don't ever want to see these things.

Things like: The developers of X app just made Y app and want me to go buy it.

X developer advertises for Z developer's totally unrelated and uninteresting content.

I also don't want any app mining my data and sending home care packages with all my :tinfoil: etc

I'm picky and intolerant, yes, but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable.

Edit:

Zeph posted:

Firewall iP can block all connections to specific apps. It's a paid Cydia app. It's also good for blocking ads (especially in Safari).

Sounds promising. I'll look that up. Thanks!

Edit 2: Gosh, this is spammy. It does what I want, but boy oh boy do I need to learn how to use it. Rather than asking me about every loving thing, I'd rather just tell it the few things I want it to block.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 10, 2011

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone yet tried the EasyRa1n untethered JB for iOS 5? I've never heard of it before so I'm not sure how much I trust it to not gently caress my phone.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Na'at posted:

Has anyone yet tried the EasyRa1n untethered JB for iOS 5? I've never heard of it before so I'm not sure how much I trust it to not gently caress my phone.

That sounds really fake. Why would you even consider it?

Seriously, there are teams of people dedicated to this stuff. If they aren't talking about it, it isn't real.

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
iOS 5.0.1 is out.

My iPad 2 is still on 4.3.3 and I don't have a SHSH Blob. Should I update to 5.0 while I still can and hope that a JB will be available soon? Or keep 4.3.3 for now and hope that there will be a working JB for 5.0.x? :ohdear:

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

futurebot 2000 posted:

iOS 5.0.1 is out.

My iPad 2 is still on 4.3.3 and I don't have a SHSH Blob. Should I update to 5.0 while I still can and hope that a JB will be available soon? Or keep 4.3.3 for now and hope that there will be a working JB for 5.0.x? :ohdear:

You can (and should) save your 5.0 SHSH blob (and any other blob Apple will sign) with TinyUmbrella, without updating to that version of iOS. There's no reason to update to it right now. Also, one jailbreak already works on 5.0.1 (Sn0wbreeze). Granted, it's not an iPad 2 jailbreak, but all the SHSH stuff still applies.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Does TinyUmbrella work with the iPhone 4S yet? It always gave me some poo poo when I tried to save my shsh.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ezrem posted:

You can (and should) save your 5.0 SHSH blob (and any other blob Apple will sign) with TinyUmbrella, without updating to that version of iOS. There's no reason to update to it right now. Also, one jailbreak already works on 5.0.1 (Sn0wbreeze). Granted, it's not an iPad 2 jailbreak, but all the SHSH stuff still applies.

I was under the impression that 5.0+ SHSH blobs were useless. Everything I've read suggests that while you can still go back to 4.x.x if you have the blobs, you will not be able to restore 5.x after Apple stops signing it. Is that incorrect?

<edit>

iphone-dev.org posted:

If you want the upcoming untethered jailbreak, I strongly suggest...

if you have an iPad2 you get it on 5.0 firmware while Apple is still signing 5.0. Once Apple stops signing 5.0, YOU CANNOT UPDATE TO 5.0 and will be forced to 5.0.1 (or the current firmware)

If you have an iPhone 4S, do not update to 5.0.1 - There is NO WAY TO COME BACK TO 5.0

If you have a iPhone4 or 3GS new bootrom you get it on 5.0 and do not update. You can still restore to 4.x.x firmware IF YOU HAVE THE HASHES. IF you upgrade to 5.0.1, YOU CANNOT GET BACK TO 5.0

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 10, 2011

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

Biodome posted:

Does TinyUmbrella work with the iPhone 4S yet? It always gave me some poo poo when I tried to save my shsh.

iOS 5 does not work in the same way. They have not come up with or released a solution to save your SHSH for it. It might not even be SHSH anymore, I have not read up on it much beyond the fact that it is different and does not work.

If you're wanting to jailbreak, I would highly recommend you do not upgrade until more is known. You won't be able to restore to 5.0, and unless your device has an iOS 4 SHSH you will be stuck with 5.0.1.

Kailtor fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 10, 2011

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
iOS 5 still does SHSH. It's just they're worhtless at the moment, which is unfortunate.

I would still want them backed up, in case some new break-through happens that allows downgrading again.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Biodome posted:

Doesn't work for my 4s either. The tinyumbrella website implicitly says onlt the 5.0 betas are supported, which would rule out any 4s or newer ipad2. It doesn't seem to save my wife's shsh for her 4 on 5.0 final.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
5.0 GM (which is saved by TU) is the same as the 5.0 Release, according to the TU author.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
I realize when I OTA update to 5.0.1 I'll lose my JB, but if I update OTA and then rejailbreak using redsn0w and then boot tethered again will it save my jailbreak settings or do I have to redo everything like I was jailbreaking a fresh OS?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Is there any way I can spoof the gps to report that I am somewhere else? NHL gamecenter will only let me stream out of market games

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

kmcormick9 posted:

Is there any way I can spoof the gps to report that I am somewhere else? NHL gamecenter will only let me stream out of market games

I use FakeLocation to get around MLB At Bat blackouts, might be worth looking into

Over The Road
Jan 6, 2006
Le singe est sur la branche

ReidStylez posted:

I realize when I OTA update to 5.0.1 I'll lose my JB, but if I update OTA and then rejailbreak using redsn0w and then boot tethered again will it save my jailbreak settings or do I have to redo everything like I was jailbreaking a fresh OS?

You can't jailbreak 5.0.1 - don't update.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Over The Road posted:

I won't, but I did see it come up on my iPad. How can I make it stop reminding me of it? (with the small red "1" on the settings button)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Over The Road posted:

:confused: http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/tools/jailbreak-5-0-1-on-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-guide

abuimak
Sep 7, 2006
I keep forgetting to use Tinyumbrella for my new 4s, can i still save my shsh blob for 5.0 or has that ship sailed?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

abuimak posted:

I keep forgetting to use Tinyumbrella for my new 4s, can i still save my shsh blob for 5.0 or has that ship sailed?

I thought word on the street was that 4S's errored out TinyUmbrella.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

I thought word on the street was that 4S's errored out TinyUmbrella.
That's what is does for mine, unfortunately.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I haven't kept up to date with TinyUmbrella. I installed it and ran it back when I installed 5.0 on my iPad. Now all of a sudden when I have TinyUmbrella interrogate Cydia for my SHSH's I only get the 4.x SHSHs back. Is this normal? I know I ran Cydia on my iPad at LEAST once after I installed 5.0 so the SHSH for that should be somewhere.

5.0.1 basically removed any need I had to jailbreak after they brought back iPad1 multitask gestures, but I'm not ruling out jailbreaking again at some future time for some reason, so I'd like to know I have all that stuff backed up.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Martytoof posted:

I haven't kept up to date with TinyUmbrella. I installed it and ran it back when I installed 5.0 on my iPad. Now all of a sudden when I have TinyUmbrella interrogate Cydia for my SHSH's I only get the 4.x SHSHs back. Is this normal? I know I ran Cydia on my iPad at LEAST once after I installed 5.0 so the SHSH for that should be somewhere.

5.0.1 basically removed any need I had to jailbreak after they brought back iPad1 multitask gestures, but I'm not ruling out jailbreaking again at some future time for some reason, so I'd like to know I have all that stuff backed up.

iOS 5 uses a different method of checking if a restore is eligible, making SHSHs useless at the moment.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kazy posted:

iOS 5 uses a different method of checking if a restore is eligible, making SHSHs useless at the moment.

Oh OK so it's normal for Cydia to not be saving them right now? I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong on my end :)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Martytoof posted:

Oh OK so it's normal for Cydia to not be saving them right now? I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong on my end :)

You'd be wise to email them to yourself every time you save them anyway, in case something happens to Cydia.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I wish I'd thought of this when I apparently had my 5.0 SHSH's but I reinstalled since.

I clearly remember Cydia saving them, so I don't know if they're just not feeding them back to me because they're not relevant or what :(

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Over The Road posted:

Yes you can, with the latest redsn0w.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ReidStylez posted:

Yes you can, with the latest redsn0w.

But it's still a tethered jailbreak, right? We're still waiting on a complete Jailbreak for anything past 4.3.x, correct?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
So this has happened a few times on my iPhone 4 running 4.3.3 JB in the past, and I just took a screen of it today. Has anyone ever had this show up on their device? Granted, the iTunes/Stocks/Messages icons I can understand as they were set to be hidden but those others (AdSheet/FieldTest/IntelliContainer/iOS Diagnostics)...what is this all about?

edit: just an FYI, I have no hacked apps or anything installed on the phone. My google searches for this keep sending me to random non-US sites that are no use to me as they are not in English.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 13, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chinook posted:

But it's still a tethered jailbreak, right? We're still waiting on a complete Jailbreak for anything past 4.3.x, correct?

Tethered jailbreak isn't that much of a concern. Especially with things like semi-tether.

I mean, how often do you reboot your phone?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tethered jailbreak isn't that much of a concern. Especially with things like semi-tether.

Yeah, but it's an iPad 2. And apparently even r3dsn0\/\/ doesn't work for that. I think I'll keep waiting. (and not update any further than 5.0)

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Chinook posted:

Yes. But it's still a jailbreak. You said there wasn't a jailbreak yet.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've been running the tethered JB for 5.0 since 5.0 came out. I have yet to have an issue with having to reboot or the battery dying. I just watch my phone when it gets low on charge and make sure I get it on a charger if I need to. It really hasn't even been any different than when I was untethered JB.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I know what Semitether does, but what are the limitations? If I install it and reboot does my phone work normally I just can't use JB stuff?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Chemmy posted:

I know what Semitether does, but what are the limitations? If I install it and reboot does my phone work normally I just can't use JB stuff?

Everything works except Mail. There was a bug where you couldn't use Safari, but I believe this is patched in the latest update.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Do you have to reboot after installing semitethered?

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Dumb question, but for tethered jailbreaks do you have to connect for resprings as well?

If not, maybe I'll give one of the tethered jailbreaks a try some time since I rarely reboot (still using 4.2.1 and it would be nice to try 5.0)

edit - nevermind, I found a post earlier in the thread that mentioned respringing is fine. Maybe i'll give iOS 5 a shot sometime soon

\/\/ thanks also

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 13, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nope. Respring all you want

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Carlton Banks posted:

Dumb question, but for tethered jailbreaks do you have to connect for resprings as well?

If not, maybe I'll give one of the tethered jailbreaks a try some time since I rarely reboot (still using 4.2.1 and it would be nice to try 5.0)

edit - nevermind, I found a post earlier in the thread that mentioned respringing is fine. Maybe i'll give iOS 5 a shot sometime soon

\/\/ thanks also

I'm semitethered on an iPhone 4 iOS 5.0 with no problems. I haven't had to reboot in the first 10 days or so, minus the initial reboots after installing lots of stuff

Just remember to check the status of the semi-tether every now and then since it seems to randomly deactivate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

dutchbstrd posted:

I'm semitethered on an iPhone 4 iOS 5.0 with no problems. I haven't had to reboot in the first 10 days or so, minus the initial reboots after installing lots of stuff

Just remember to check the status of the semi-tether every now and then since it seems to randomly deactivate

Do you have to reboot or respring after installing semi tethered?

• Locked thread