Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

gowb posted:

Two things should be said, though:

1) Yes, there is another recap coming a little while after [S] Jade: Enter.

2) Something that was known by that point: the trolls aren't "beyond time" or anything, they're just on their own separate timeline in a different universe after having played the game themselves. They're hiding from Jack in a laboratory asteroid in their incipisphere's veil, like the one where John engaged in ectobiolobabysitting. (In fact, the precise one where Karkat played the corresponding role for the trolls.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

gowb posted:

It's never officially stated, but I think the reasoning is that Bec is a dog with godlike powers, but still just has the mind of a dog. He wasn't thinking about the consequences of prototyping himself, probably just some mystical attraction to the kernalsprite due to his genetic origin as part of the game.

The trolls are all in a lab on a meteor in The Veil. It's the same lab that Karkat created all the paradox slime wigglers of themselves, like John did. That's what the big grey room was. They aren't beyond time or anything like that. They're just in a different universe than the kids so they have a different timeline than the kids universe.

The cause of the rift is still unknown at the point you're at in the story. Keep in mind that wasn't a direct sequence of events. Jack doesn't directly go to the troll session through the rift after inheriting the first guardian powers, it happens later. Vriska explains her motivation in a conversation pretty soon after where you are.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if any other questions, since it's hard to figure this all out on your own.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

gowb posted:

Okay, I'm on my first read-thru of this book-comic-movie thing, and oddly enough I just got to that part! And I'd like to ask, why did Bec prototype himself? Why didn't he just warp the meteor, or throw something else into the sprite? It also seems really bad that he prototyped himself, and apparently Jack is the end boss? Which is something I hadn't picked up. Is there another recap coming, because I took a long break and forgot some of the things that were happening.

If the answer to what I'm asking involves spoilers, then sorry, please don't spoil me!

I thought I had given up on this thing forever, because it seemed too confusing to be worth it. The only reason I decided to give it another try is because I had a weird dream about it last night, but all I can remember is what it was about and that it was interesting. I'm finally starting to figure out which troll is which, thanks to that little game in which you are Karkat talking to everyone in the big grey room. Speaking of which, what is that grey room? How did they get beyond time like that?

According to this movie ([S]Jade: Enter), Jack caused the rift? But I thought they said the kids caused it? And why did Vriska interfere like that - was she trying to kill Jade? I thought she was in on the conversation that said Jade and John were technically siblings.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I got banned from the chat a month or two ago because some guy had a problem with my forum posts (even though I had never met him before and had done nothing but ask HS-related questions...)

Thanks for reading this stupid post! I feel like this story is starting to come together for me, especially now that I've gotten a little past the frustration of not knowing who the heck any of the trolls are. I definitely still prefer the kids, especially John and Dave and Rose, but the trolls are starting to grow on me. Terezi and Karkat especially, since they seem like the nicest (who have also gotten the most screen time). The others are just way too mean and I don't understand why they try to kill each other all the time.

I think the canonical answer for why Bec did anything is because Bec is a dog and dogs aren't good at problem-solving.

The gray room isn't especially well explained at first. It's a laboratory on one of the random meteors in the Veil floating around the trolls' game session. The meteors are full of random laboratories like this--John used one to ectobiologize all the kids and guardians, and AR witnessed DD creating Bec in a different one. The meteor the trolls are on has no known significance in particular, other than being a place that's out of the way of Jack's rampage.

The "rift" is a complicated subject and basically the rest of the (ungodly huge) Act 5 deals with how it actually happens. The thing is, when you first see trolls talking about the rift, they don't really understand what the rift is. What it is and what causes it doesn't really come to light until later.

EDIT: pbbbbbbtht :argh:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

quote:

According to this movie ([S]Jade: Enter), Jack caused the rift? But I thought they said the kids caused it?

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but you may be under the impression that events happen entirely as in the Flash - Jack gets Bec prototyping, then immediately heads off to mess with the trolls. This is not the case, it's just Homestuck being non-linear as usual. Jack still has plenty more to do on his personal timeline before he meets the trolls.

In fact, you'd do well to pay attention to his arm. (very minor spoiler)

Walliard fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 9, 2011

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Two things should be said, though:

1) Yes, there is another recap coming a little while after [S] Jade: Enter.

2) Something that was known by that point: the trolls aren't "beyond time" or anything, they're just on their own separate timeline in a different universe after having played the game themselves. They're hiding from Jack in a laboratory asteroid in their incipisphere's veil, like the one where John engaged in ectobiolobabysitting. (In fact, the precise one where Karkat played the corresponding role for the trolls.)

I must have missed the part where Karkat played that role for the trolls! Or it hasn't been revealed yet. I kinda hate all the time travel parts of this story. Except for the powers of the Green Gang, which were hilarious.

Another quick question, the common link between the universes is Prospit, Dirse, and Skaia, right? They're the same in both worlds? I seem to remember some of the trolls and the kids hanging out on the Prospit moon or something. Maybe I dreamed that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

gowb posted:

I must have missed the part where Karkat played that role for the trolls! Or it hasn't been revealed yet. I kinda hate all the time travel parts of this story. Except for the powers of the Green Gang, which were hilarious.

Another quick question, the common link between the universes is Prospit, Dirse, and Skaia, right? They're the same in both worlds? I seem to remember some of the trolls and the kids hanging out on the Prospit moon or something. Maybe I dreamed that.

Karkat referenced it in a conversation with John while John was ectobiologing (also there's a single screenshot showing it during...[s]Karkat: Wake Up if I remember correctly.)

gowb posted:

It's Derse, and yeah, that's correct. Er. Correct insofar as Skaia, Prospit, and Derse are always in the medium. The trolls have a separate medium from the kids.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 9, 2011

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Incorrect, mostly. Skaia, Prospit and Derse are constants in the medium. Each session has it's own version of the medium the biggest difference being the prototypings and the Land of x and x's.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Also, [s] Jade: Enter is the page where you really start getting the sense that, despite knowing more than the reader/the kids, the trolls actually don't have any idea of what they're talking about most of the time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

gowb posted:

They're not actually connected. The trolls have their own copy of Prospit, Derse, and Skaia, and they're all substantially similar to the ones in the kids' game but they're different (in particular the troll Prospit/Derse moons have more towers, since they have more players.) Note that they also have copies of the inhabitants of Prospit and Derse, such as the white and black king and queen. There was also a different copy of Jack in the trolls' game as well.

There haven't been any actual kid/troll meetups, but there is an afterlife-slash-dreamworld where they can "meet." The trolls' dreamselves were all killed and now Jade's is dead too, so when they sleep they can interact with each others' dead dreamselves in extradimensional "dream bubbles." There was a conversation between Feferi and Jade right before [S] Jade: Enter that talked about this stuff.

Sonata
Jan 29, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

The parallax thing is interesting, but not particularly reliant on the medium. That and the art direction makes me feel like it would come out better as a continuous animation with a narrator reading out the panel text. Certainly the pacing would be better, since I have no loving clue how fast I'm meant to scroll onward to make everything sync up properly.

It's kind of a cool use of technology, but also completely pointless by way of being fake interactivity: it doesn't need to be me personally commanding the story to advance, and the story gains nothing from that being the case. The story has its own pace that it would be best told at, but I don't know what that should be until after I've read it; contrast with the walkaround segments of Homestuck (and similar games or interactive stories elsewhere, like Looming) where being able to set your own pace is part of the telling, and immerses you in the character's situation.

tl;dr: 'Interactive' stories that don't need to be are really loving irritating. Roll on the multimedia webcomics, sure, but let it be used to make the story better rather than worse.

Hey so I know nobody's talking about this anymore but I just wanted to respond to this – the story is written in such a way that the pace is entirely up to the reader and a wrong pace doesn't adversely affect the story. It's basically like reading a popup book. That's essentially what Hobo Lobo is. I wouldn't call a popup book or an in-the-round sculpture interactive even though they kind of are, in the same way.

Also he is very sorry about the update schedule.

Carry on.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sonata posted:

Hey so I know nobody's talking about this anymore but I just wanted to respond to this – the story is written in such a way that the pace is entirely up to the reader and a wrong pace doesn't adversely affect the story. It's basically like reading a popup book. That's essentially what Hobo Lobo is. I wouldn't call a popup book or an in-the-round sculpture interactive even though they kind of are, in the same way.

Also he is very sorry about the update schedule.

Carry on.

...Wrong thread?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

King of Solomon posted:

...Wrong thread?

Not exactly.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444640&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=64#post397352323

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bec, being the Guardian that he is, prototyped himself to protect Jade, on two counts: One, to shield the island from the meteoric explosion and two, (mild story spoilers that gowb may not have reached yet) to prevent the Bec-prototyped Jack Noir from harming Jade.

It is explained in some conversation between Jade and Karkat. Bec fucks everything up, but in doing so, ensures Jade's safety from a major threat. He's not really just a dumb dog.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Bec, being the Guardian that he is, prototyped himself to protect Jade, on two counts: One, to shield the island from the meteoric explosion and two, (mild story spoilers that gowb may not have reached yet) to prevent the Bec-prototyped Jack Noir from harming Jade.

It is explained in some conversation between Jade and Karkat. Bec fucks everything up, but in doing so, ensures Jade's safety from a major threat. He's not really just a dumb dog.

Is it possible he may also be omniscient and did it because he knew he had to to keep the timeline in the alpha? Or was that just Scratch, since he was prototyped with the magic cue ball?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Has anyone else realized that Jack seriously saved the day in Cascade when he put Jade on the bed? Granted he was the one that the day needed to be saved from, but still!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

YF-23 posted:

Is it possible he may also be omniscient and did it because he knew he had to to keep the timeline in the alpha? Or was that just Scratch, since he was prototyped with the magic cue ball?

It specifically says here that a first guardian is omniscient when merged with a host of great intelligence, which a dog wouldn't count as.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

What's that Earthbound game everyone references with regards to Homestuck? That one supposedly had an all-powerful god-boss like Lord English, but the god-boss himself was sort of without character, it was more like an elemental force. The last enemy with a real identity, however, was some other kid much like the protagonists (not absolutely sure, haven't played the game) who was trying to side with the monster. That sort of thinking, basically.
"That Earthbound game"...I'd like to think the Mother series was at least somewhat recognizable these days :(

You are referring to Giygas and Pokey, respectively. Pokey was actually kind of an antagonist the whole game, and IIRC Giygas was actually a character from Mother 1. The Pokey equivalent here if anything would be Scratch, not one of the kids or trolls.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I thought earthbound was about that boxer who fought carl weathers

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
No, Earthbound is about four kids who go on an adventure that begins pretty low-key but slowly unfolds into a time-traveling apocalyptic adventure against an unbeatable extradimensional demon

(sort of)

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

thanks alot assbag posted:

No, Earthbound is about four kids who go on an adventure that begins pretty low-key but slowly unfolds into a time-traveling apocalyptic adventure against an unbeatable extradimensional demon

(sort of)

Also they fight an allegory for the Manson Family at one point.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

gowb posted:

He mentions it waaay back when John is doing it himself, but you can actually see him doing it in [S] Past Karkat: Wake Up. There's a lot of extra stuff to find in that flash, if you walk around as Karkat you can find the ectobiology lab and he has a (very brief) flashback to creating himself and his friends.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Also there's their very chat tags, which are reflections of one another: John's is ectoBiologist, and Karkat's is carcinoGeneticist. John's refers to his ectobiological role, and Karkat's is loving loading with symbolism: the carcino part refers to him representing the Cancer part of the Zodiac, and references how he caused the cancer in the universe, it's him.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Earth and Home have similar meanings
Bound and Stuck have similar meanings

:v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes this is a thing that Hussie confirmed as deliberate somewhere a long time ago.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Meaning the only piece of land in the Scratched universe will be a single island? :v:

:smithicide:

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Mortal Sword when you get to EOA4 and onwards please use a full page for every screencap that features a drawing of mine, thanks.

I'm almost tempted to do this now just to see what Andrew says when I turn in the draft.

By the way, whoever it was who extracted the "Hussie Typing" animation from the recent Scratch interlude for avatar purposes - thanks. It actually came in handy for a little graphic I assembled.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

When the time comes to reproduce Terezi smell-o-vision panels on paper I seriously hope you consider scratch and sniff.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just messing around just now with a friend, and we realized that a lot of the impact of the bloodier troll scenes is lost due to the colors. It looks really hosed up when you 'shop that stuff red. The asteroid is a freaking charnelhouse.

Also courtesy of my friend:

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
I can never see that scene without thinking that Tavros is sporting a Hitler 'stache made of blood.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
If Homestuck was colored like that, it'd probably be seen as a lot more NSFW than it is now.

Yeesh, I didn't even realize how bloody it was.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I also didn't realize that Tarvos cries brown tears (the same color as his blood) until just now. How weird.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Talorat posted:

I also didn't realize that Tarvos cries brown tears (the same color as his blood) until just now. How weird.

All the trolls do. According to Hussie it's the same pigment in both fluids (as opposed to their tears actually containing blood).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's another example:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Jesus christ!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tollymain posted:

Here's another example:

Never noticed before now that Eridan's skunk hairdo highlights thing is in his blood color.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It reminds me of cartoons like "Samurai Jack" where the bad guys were giant monsters or robots, so their "blood" was always radioactive green or black and they could show as much bloody carnage as he wanted as long as there wasn't any "human" blood shown. Quite a few action cartoons from my childhood did this if I remember correctly.

e. Also I think Sam Raimi had to use multi-colored mystery liquids instead of blood quite a few times in the Evil Dead trilogy because otherwise the films would have had too much blood in them.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 10, 2011

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Well Manicured Man posted:

It reminds me of cartoons like "Samurai Jack" where the bad guys were giant monsters or robots, so their "blood" was always radioactive green or black and they could show as much bloody carnage as he wanted as long as there wasn't any "human" blood shown. Quite a few action cartoons from my childhood did this if I remember correctly.

I remember the episode where he fought an entire army of giant robot beetles. Near the end Jack is just covered in oil. The robot's are shooting oil everywhere, Jack cuts the head off one and a huge jet of oil shoots out of its neck and sprays Jack.

My first thought was that if the oil was red, this cartoon would be banned. My second thought was that Jack was covered in cuts, that oil must burn like gently caress.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I remember the episode where he fought an entire army of giant robot beetles. Near the end Jack is just covered in oil. The robot's are shooting oil everywhere, Jack cuts the head off one and a huge jet of oil shoots out of its neck and sprays Jack.

My first thought was that if the oil was red, this cartoon would be banned. My second thought was that Jack was covered in cuts, that oil must burn like gently caress.

That's nothing. The series is riddled with scenes where Jack just wanders into a bar and straight-up goes pro ice on some bug alien. Who then explodes. Robot!

Let's hope the inevitable machine uprising's overlords never get access to old cartoons. They will be so cross.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Tollymain posted:

I was just messing around just now with a friend, and we realized that a lot of the impact of the bloodier troll scenes is lost due to the colors. It looks really hosed up when you 'shop that stuff red. The asteroid is a freaking charnelhouse.

Also courtesy of my friend:

I remember doing this was really common on the MSPA forums during that entire sequence. People kept arguing that Vriska wasn't that badly hurt and she couldn't be feeling that much pain as her dreamself, and somebody did those photoshops. The one I remember clearest is "KILL ME" written on her forehead, it was pretty chilling to see in red blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Oxxidation posted:

That's nothing. The series is riddled with scenes where Jack just wanders into a bar and straight-up goes pro ice on some bug alien. Who then explodes. Robot!

Let's hope the inevitable machine uprising's overlords never get access to old cartoons. They will be so cross.

I do not look forward to the day when robots gain sentience and human rights and all of a sudden it's not "PC" to have wanton robot decapitations in children's cartoons.

Also, a Hivebent animated series by Genndy Tartakovsky would be awesome as gently caress. The stylized character design and PG alien ultraviolence would be sure to make it a hit among all male age demographics.