Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!

PalmTreeFun posted:

What is this $8.95 thing that the stream monsters keep talking about? Something to do with Canada Cup and ads?

"Premium Stream" included 720p and no-ads for 8.95, actually included neither

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Veev posted:

Canada cup was charging 8.95 for the premium stream and now no one will shut up about it.

Oh, was that where it tried to get you to subscribe or something if you clicked on 720p? That wasn't really a big deal at all, it's not like fighting game characters are exactly tiny on the screen.

sponsz posted:

"Premium Stream" included 720p and no-ads for 8.95, actually included neither

Oh, never mind. That is dumb.

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!

PalmTreeFun posted:

Oh, never mind. That is dumb.

To be fair there was 720p, it was just laggy

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

sponsz posted:

To be fair there was 720p, it was just laggy

And they also didnt stream the finals for a ton of games and interrupted the middle of matches with ads. Anyone who bought premium was literally throwing money away

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Er, one other thing. Did desk really die or is this a joke or something?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PalmTreeFun posted:

Pretty sure he's alive, he just put up a new video the other day.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

PalmTreeFun posted:

It's just some stupid stream monster poo poo that caught on (like gootecks throwing a stick and Oni being banned). When Zhi was on commentary, he said something about Xian being the "living Desk" and everyone was trolling that desk was dead or whatever.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Almost all of the stream monsters for majors come from 4chan/Reddit/similar dregs of the Internet, disabling the stream chat is a minimum prerequisite to watching any big event

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

PalmTreeFun posted:

The point of the joke is that you are getting hazed by the 4chan/reddit FGC and are an "outsider" for not knowing that these things are not true.

I don't really care about stream chat but the thing I do hate is the excessive commentary about it when people are discussing the fighting game community.

You will occasionally read stuff like "well, I'd love to come to a tournament but I'm afraid I'll be lynched by all the hatemongers. Did you see the stream chat at <MAJOR EVENT>?" When of course this is ridiculous. Stream chat is basically performance art, and I wish it came with a warning label or something for these people who aren't aware of the 4chan/reddit comedy style.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I leave stream chat on because it makes stuff much more hype when you can see two hundred other people also go nuts whenever something cool happens. Also there's a funny joke sometimes.

It's kind of like a laugh track.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I turned off stream chat the fiftieth time soneone asked for Mega Man in Marvel 3 and never lokked back. The whiners are far worse than the trolls.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

The stream chat is fine when you have 400-ish people on who do not spam whatever is on their mind at the moment like when Spooky does the house streams to test stuff out and doing light Q& A. I don't even read it when tournaments are on since it becomes like a grade 3 classroom with all the kids on crack and shooting out whatever they believe to be comical like "on banned" 1000 times.

I agree with UltraDavid's comment that the stream memes are getting to the point of annoying, not funny and just attention seeking by stream monsters.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Spooky house streams are the best streams.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I agree with UltraDavid's comment that the stream memes are getting to the point of annoying, not funny and just attention seeking by stream monsters.

Getting there?

Stream monsters/memes were annoying as gently caress fifteen minutes into Evo 2009.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

The stream chat is fine when you have 400-ish people on who do not spam whatever is on their mind at the moment like when Spooky does the house streams to test stuff out and doing light Q& A. I don't even read it when tournaments are on since it becomes like a grade 3 classroom with all the kids on crack and shooting out whatever they believe to be comical like "on banned" 1000 times.

Its worse when you know some people into the community in real life also running these jokes to the ground.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Cinroth posted:

Since it's Tekken talk right now, I'm trying to learn Lei Wulong in Tekken 6. Any cool Tekken tryhard wanna give me any pro tips on what I should do with him?

Lei is sort of a tricky one to pick up, depending on how well you know Tekken. His style revolves around punishing the things that players have been trained to do against every other character, e.g. he has tons of options from the ground or when back-turned that no one else has, lots of feints and moves with odd crush properties, etc. Winning with him requires using setups that play with your opponent's expectations (which means you have to know what he expects you to do so that you can do something else).

A simple example: 3,3 is a high,low KND string that Lei has had since the dawn of time. This means that unless the person has very little experience fighting Lei, they're going to low parry (or at least low block) on reaction after blocking the first 3. In T6, Lei has a couple of new options with this string, so you can do 3,b+3 to do the high, then feint low into BT. Being Lei, you then have a bunch of options from BT that other characters don't, and you'll be in position to punish their whiffed low parry attempt or empty low block by mixing up BT 1 (low, gets you minor damage extension), BT 2 (mid KND), or BT 4<3 (mid launch).

Of course, if they expect you to feint into BT from the first 3, they're going to hopkick your rear end or otherwise CH you pretty hard, and therein lies Lei's weakness: the minute you're wrong about what you think your opponent expects, you're dead. Staying unpredictable and putting them into headfuck mode is super important.

This is a really cool thread about setups like the one above that you probably wouldn't see for other characters: http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=108138

I don't play Lei though, hth. vOv

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The full version of I Got Next came out yesterday, but it can only be watched on Hulu :(

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
He's working on a solution for non-US residents.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Brosnan posted:

Lei

Thanks, exactly what I need. Gonna check out that thread as well. And yeah I know he's a handful but I'm still exploring and want to try him for at least a while before I try someone else. I started with Jin and know a few things with him so I got him to fall back on if I'm not cool enough to play Lei.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
^^^ Keep in mind that Lei is a really advanced character and you haven't been playing the games in the past decade, then you might as well just go with something that's high or mid tier. If you really like stances, then you can go with something hwoarang too, even if you don't have as many options.

Cinroth posted:

Since it's Tekken talk right now, I'm trying to learn Lei Wulong in Tekken 6. Any cool Tekken tryhard wanna give me any pro tips on what I should do with him?

There's also this tutorial by the guys at LevelUpYourGame. It's a bit long (more than an hour) a cheeky, but it details all the useful stuff and goes through all his stances.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 10, 2011

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hwoarang's probably not a great starting character either. :shobon:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Brosnan posted:

Hwoarang's probably not a great starting character either. :shobon:

I dunno man. I remember everybody mashing XXXXXXXXXXX on the playstation.

Certainly noob friendly (against other noobs).

E: Also, the running flying kick (run and the press O) owned.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Capoeiristas mashing kicks will beat Hwoarang mashing kicks easily.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So how's Lars for a beginner character? I can do really basic poo poo with Lili but have no real fundamentals of the game. I just need a 2nd character to play when Tag 2 comes out.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
While it's Tekken chat time, what does Armor King do? I've heard he's really strong and plays very differently from King, but I haven't had much luck in digging up videos of high level AK play.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I know that at least as of a few weeks back, Aris was using him exclusively during his Friday night stream at Super Arcade. You can find his archives at twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Play Paul, he's almost a shoto in his boringness and simplicity.

I wonder how much Jun sucks now, in TTT she was pretty bad and my Nina did all the work.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Question Mark Mound posted:

So how's Lars for a beginner character? I can do really basic poo poo with Lili but have no real fundamentals of the game. I just need a 2nd character to play when Tag 2 comes out.

Lars is really really good in T6, although you will have to actually learn fundamentals if you want to be better than people who just backflip repeatedly and hope to get lucky. I think people who start with Lili tend to become overly reliant on her easy juggles, and never learn to do damage any other way. Lars has a lot of really good little 2-hit NCs and pokes, and his juggles have crazy wall carry (and great payoff when you get there -- df+1, db+2,1, f+1+4 probably shouldn't even work, but it does). But you will have to practice his poo poo, it doesn't come easy like hitting 34343434343 does with Lili. Figuring out how to use his SE and DE transitions well instead of as a lovely, punishable gimmick takes some time.

inthesto posted:

While it's Tekken chat time, what does Armor King do? I've heard he's really strong and plays very differently from King, but I haven't had much luck in digging up videos of high level AK play.

He is very different from King, but "really strong" is a little generous (he's trash in T5DR, but a bit better in T6). As previously suggested, you can watch Aris for a little sense of him (he looks like a grappler but he kind of isn't). Also lots of videos compiled here: http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=110731

I do often recommend that people start with Paul when they're picking up Tekken. He's still fun to play but comes without bells and whistles that will distract you from actually learning fundamentals. I've played people who clearly hadn't been playing the game for very long (based on their movement patterns), but they could actually pose a threat just by having super solid punishment and playing patiently, instead of throwing out mindless launchers and getting punished repeatedly like new players often do.

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 11, 2011

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Question Mark Mound posted:

Lars is like a new michima pretty much from what I've heard and he's pretty accessible to beginners.

Dias posted:

Play Paul, he's almost a shoto in his boringness and simplicity.

I wonder how much Jun sucks now, in TTT she was pretty bad and my Nina did all the work.

Jun's pretty much bottom tier now. Honestly, this was one of those characters they should have just killed off a long time ago.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 11, 2011

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

uncleKitchener posted:

Jun's pretty much bottom tier now. Honestly, this was one of those characters they should have just killed off a long time ago.

They did. :v:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

They did. :v:

But then they gave me Asuka, so I'm fine with it. I just like 1+4, I dunno why, maybe because it used to annoy the gently caress out of people at the arcades I played. :-P

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJsiLp4IC8o

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
lmao nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom :haw:

Just that is enough to make up for the cat puns.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
She even says "Fiber Uppercut" like Sagat :swoon:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
It's hard to tell but I think she might be saying Purrserker Barrage. Please tell me she is saying Purrserker Barrage.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Nerokerubina posted:

It's hard to tell but I think she might be saying Purrserker Barrage. Please tell me she is saying Purrserker Barrage.

"Furserker Purrage"

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 11, 2011

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Groghammer posted:

She even says "Fiber Uppercut" like Sagat :swoon:

It's Tiger Robocop, okay? And Guile has the Alex Full.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)
So how are Anna, Dragunov, Bob, and Ganryu when it comes to relearning Tekken, and Devil Jin to fill that "Mishima quota (I wanna use a Mishima with the best custom outfits*)?"

*You can dress him up like a Ghosts and Goblins boss or even Devil Man. Can't hate DJ for that.

Edit: Here's a Tag 2 tier list from TZ:

quote:

S : lars, kaz, dj, hei, hwoarang
A : ak, jc, lili, bob, lee, marduk
A-: wang, asuka, nina, bruce, jack, leo, miguel, drag, raven
B: the rest
B-: capos, bears, baek, alisa, jun
C: roger, ogre
K: Kunimitsu

Armor King seems like he got buffed. Shame Ogre sucks, but hey, at least Kuma isn't the bottom of the barrel now. :dance:

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 11, 2011

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If Hwoarang is actually that good I'm gonna be fuckin stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Roger... No... :(

• Locked thread