Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

If it's Razer then you can be guaranteed of three things-

1. It will be horribly overpriced

2. The design of the controller will feel great in your hand and it'll be a solid controller

3. The wire will break if you so much as look at it wrong. It amazes me how crappy the wiring is for something that costs as much as it does.

I haven't used any of their console controllers so you can take that with a grain of salt, but in my experiences and everyone I know who has owned a Razer product, the cables are fragile as hell and you're lucky to make whatever it is you got from them last past a year or two. (Experiences are mostly with keyboards, mice, and headphones)

When I need a controller for emulation or other purposes, I use one of these or if I'm doing N64 emulation one of these(which don't seem like they're being made anymore but are the best usb-N64 controller adapter you can get).

These days I mostly use an open source handheld for emulation and play other stuff on the PC.

?? I have a blackwidow and a deathadder and both of the wires are braided and look like they could withstand a ninja sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

404notfound posted:

I've been playing video games constantly since 1992 and I appreciate the ergonomic design of the 360 controller.

Yeah I started off playing the Genesis, NES, and SNES as well as PC games and have had a console every generation. The Xbox controller is just the best for me.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

blazeing w hitler posted:

?? I have a blackwidow and a deathadder and both of the wires are braided and look like they could withstand a ninja sword

I went through a Diamondback and a Copperhead before I learned my lesson, and a friend had serious problems with his Tarantula and whatever the name was of the first pair of headphones they released. If they've fixed that more recently then you can ignore #3, but the shittiness of the cabling on the stuff that I've used in the past can't be understated.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The XBox controller is too big and round for me. I have little girly hands, though.
The PS3 controller would be absolutely perfect for me if they moved R2 and L2 (the triggers) back further, to where your index fingers naturally rest (and where the triggers are on an XBox controller). Games that require you to quickly move between R1/L1 and R2/L2 or hit both at the same time are a bummer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fuzz1111 posted:

It makes me wonder where the advancement/innovation for the next gen of consoles is going to come from. I mean if I tried to make a PC with the size and power consumption constraints of a console I wouldn't be able to include my GTX570/spaceheater, and using something efficient is unlikely to result in graphics that people would probably be expecting from a new generation of consoles.

The biggest jump over current consoles is high definition in textures. PC's are just infinitely more sharper, can make things look more natural and realistic (tessellation from nVidia is loving amazing and doesn't make any hits).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The Gamecube controller is the best controller. Worst is the Dreamcast controller simply because the cord come out the bottom, what the gently caress Sega. Who thought that was a good idea?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The Gamecube controller is the best controller. Worst is the Dreamcast controller simply because the cord come out the bottom, what the gently caress Sega. Who thought that was a good idea?

It was because that gimmicky mini-display/memory card was in the way, wasn't it?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Node posted:

It was because that gimmicky mini-display/memory card was in the way, wasn't it?

Yeah, but they could've just made the back slightly thicker and no one would've noticed since you don't hold it there.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Since we're on controller chat.

I got one of those xbox controllers a long time ago out of a bargain bin. It looks dumb as hell but the triggers were fantastic and it has the main buttons down on the handles which is just amazing for reaction time.

I don't think I have ever seen a PC controller take advantage of a design like that.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

zachol posted:

The XBox controller is too big and round for me. I have little girly hands, though.
The PS3 controller would be absolutely perfect for me if they moved R2 and L2 (the triggers) back further, to where your index fingers naturally rest (and where the triggers are on an XBox controller). Games that require you to quickly move between R1/L1 and R2/L2 or hit both at the same time are a bummer.

As far as the PS3 controller goes, you can get these bumpers that help support the R2 and L2 buttons. Something like [url=http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-real-triggers/90442]this[url]. It helps tremendously. It does suck to have to buy soemthing else to make it work properly, but if you like that controller more, its worth looking into for only $5.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Amppelix posted:

Every time someone asks this question, someone else answers it thus: Don't buy a headset. Buy a good pair of headphones and a desk mike.
I've heard this claim a lot but are there certain ones to watch out for? I also hear a lot of complaining from other gamers because other people have desk mics so they can hear ambient sound in the room like clinking glasses and air conditioners, etc.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice
I bought the Zalman ZM-1 mic. It clips on the headset cord and is cheap. Under 10 dollars if I remember right.

Sound is above medicore, it's more than good enough for ventrilo/skyp/stuff.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

People routinely recommend this logitech mic. They also recommended the HD555s a lot. I don't have experience with the mic, but the headphones are incredible. A much richer sound than cheap headphones and most speakers I've used.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Siroc posted:

People routinely recommend this logitech mic. They also recommended the HD555s a lot. I don't have experience with the mic, but the headphones are incredible. A much richer sound than cheap headphones and most speakers I've used.

I have this mike and it's quite good quality, but it does pick up pretty much everything in the room. Just fair warning.

As for headphones, if you want something cheaper than the HD555s with good sound quality, check out the Koss PortaPros. They're like $30 & sound really good - maybe not audiophile good, but more than good enough for most people. They don't block sound though, so if you need to either be listening to music in a loud environment or be able to sit next to someone in the library while blasting metal, I'd recommend something else.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

Siroc posted:

I use that mic and pair of Sennheiser HD-570's I got 8 years ago.

Last year I spent $150 on a Sennheiser PC-355 gaming headset and ended up switching back to the desktop mic and real headphones because they sounded like crap and the mic quality was not noticeably better.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Price on the HD555 skyrocketed. I bought them for about $100 earlier this year. Now Amazon has them for $170ish from vendors. Maybe the 598s replaced the 555s.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The mic's quality is good but like the other guy said people will hear everything. I torture people on skype whenever I use my keyboard.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The mic's quality is good but like the other guy said people will hear everything. I torture people on skype whenever I use my keyboard.

I just played through the Portal 2 DLC with a friend with a desk mic. Every tricky puzzle involving dashing around resulted in what sounded like him violently punching his desk.

I'm using an Xbox live headset plugged into my 360 pad and it's fine as long as you don't mind cellphone quality audio.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Siroc posted:

Price on the HD555 skyrocketed. I bought them for about $100 earlier this year. Now Amazon has them for $170ish from vendors. Maybe the 598s replaced the 555s.

Consider the HD215 instead, then, which I got for around £70 and sounds like liquid gold dripping into my ears, metaphorically speaking.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yeah, I have that mic also and it's great quality but I don't know if I want to play Battlefield 3 with my cranky Siamese meowing in the background all the time. Or maybe that's exactly what I want. I think I might just go for one of those clip-on ones since I don't do a lot of multiplayer, even less when I think of the games where I turn voice chat off anyways.

As for headphones, I used the HD-555's for a long time, but when my last pair died I tried the AD-700s which were actually recommended by several people in this thread a while back. They don't feel as snug as the 555's which makes them more comfortable for longer sessions. Some people complain about the rather large soundstage, but I'm using them for mostly gaming and the occasional movie on a soundcard that supports Dolby Headphone so that actually ends up working in it's favour.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 10, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

This is why I don't really like desk mics and I scoff at everyone who recommends one. They always pic up everything. The mic on my headset is crystal clear and only picks up my voice. GameCom headset mics are really good, actually. I can have my PC roaring, my ceiling fan on, and my TV on and it doesn't pick up any of that. Audio quality is average only but I'm OK with that.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Desk mics can get knocked over and just generally get in the way too, nobody really ever brings that up.

NOBEARD posted:

I bought the Zalman ZM-1 mic. It clips on the headset cord and is cheap. Under 10 dollars if I remember right.

Sound is above medicore, it's more than good enough for ventrilo/skyp/stuff.
I went this route as a compromise, I clip this onto my HD555s. The mic sound isn't as good as the Plantronics headset I used to use, but it's much more comfortable. Headsets definitely have their use, but the ones I've used have all been horribly uncomfortable, especially compared to a good set of headphones.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I use a Logitech G330 which works well for me. A desk mic wouldn't really work on my desk, but I've used this happily for 1 1/2 years.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Whew, I finished my several-days-long read-through of everything since May in time to start playing Skyrim 24/7 instead of interacting with the outside world!

So, about this thread: I wish there were a term like "PC Master Race" that was not profoundly horribly offensive (though I realize it was coined sarcastically in the first place). I mean, I would love to emblazon a slogan on a sweet leather jacket to be a mobile advertisement for how amazingly superior PC gaming is to console gaming, but that particular slogan does not exactly work.

I also have a general question, and please understand this is an actual question, not some kind of "why-you-kids-in-my-day-why-I-aughta" retro-lament: When did PC gaming start involving headsets and voice servers? I remember wishing all the time that I could just talk to my friends over the computer when playing Ultima Online and EverQuest back in the day, but I am pretty sure if it had been possible (or at least popular) that we would have all been doing it. Then, at some point a year or two ago, I realized everyone was like "yeah some 12-year-old kid was calling me gay when I played [GAME]" and I started thinking "wait, what happened to suddenly make people communicate verbally online, and not only for team play, but all the time?" Was there one particular game that triggered the avalanche, or was it entirely due to technology catching up with practicality?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kuddles posted:

Yeah, I have that mic also and it's great quality but I don't know if I want to play Battlefield 3 with my cranky Siamese meowing in the background all the time. Or maybe that's exactly what I want. I think I might just go for one of those clip-on ones since I don't do a lot of multiplayer, even less when I think of the games where I turn voice chat off anyways.
I hate listening to people typing but I think I would favor playing with a guy if I could hear his cat over the mic.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Quarex posted:

Whew, I finished my several-days-long read-through of everything since May in time to start playing Skyrim 24/7 instead of interacting with the outside world!

So, about this thread: I wish there were a term like "PC Master Race" that was not profoundly horribly offensive (though I realize it was coined sarcastically in the first place). I mean, I would love to emblazon a slogan on a sweet leather jacket to be a mobile advertisement for how amazingly superior PC gaming is to console gaming, but that particular slogan does not exactly work.

I also have a general question, and please understand this is an actual question, not some kind of "why-you-kids-in-my-day-why-I-aughta" retro-lament: When did PC gaming start involving headsets and voice servers? I remember wishing all the time that I could just talk to my friends over the computer when playing Ultima Online and EverQuest back in the day, but I am pretty sure if it had been possible (or at least popular) that we would have all been doing it. Then, at some point a year or two ago, I realized everyone was like "yeah some 12-year-old kid was calling me gay when I played [GAME]" and I started thinking "wait, what happened to suddenly make people communicate verbally online, and not only for team play, but all the time?" Was there one particular game that triggered the avalanche, or was it entirely due to technology catching up with practicality?

It really started with clan gaming on things like Battlefield 1942 and Counter Strike, since you didn't have time to stop and type in the middle of a fight. Alot of online services sprang up around that and it just became more popular and affordable.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

Quarex posted:

I recall using starting to use Roger Wilco starting in 1997 graduating onto TeamSound then Teamspeak and finally Ventrilo, I don't know when but at some point a number of years ago it became tradition if you were at the computer you connected to the voice server shared by my clique of friends.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Since we've been talking about controllers, are there any good Sega Genesis/Atari 2600/7800 to USB adapters?

I've only found one place that sells anything like this in my Google searches, but they have a separate adapter for Genesis and Atari controllers, and the Atari adapter looks like it only works with the 2600 joystick and not the other Atari controllers. They also have DIY kits, but they only support one system each and do not support analogue controllers.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nevermind

So does anyone have any case reccomendations? I need a new case as mine is broken.

bowmore fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 12, 2011

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php

I've got this one and it's pretty rad. Might be a little expensive though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Category Fun! posted:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php

I've got this one and it's pretty rad. Might be a little expensive though.

Bulky and disgusting. :p

This is the one I use, pretty big but it looks nice and has great airflow.

http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/graphite-series-pc-case/special-edition-white-graphite-series-600t-mid-tower-case.html

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bowmore posted:

Nevermind

So does anyone have any case reccomendations? I need a new case as mine is broken.
Thermaltake G10

On a more serious note, Corsair and Antec make some of the best cases around, depending on what you're looking for in a case of course.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Honestly I got a Tritton Triax-720 from Target. It's comfy, has a good mic, and has good sound quality from what I can tell; but then I have lousy hearing/tinnitus from hell to breakfast so I'm not going to shell out more than two bills on my listen/yell setup

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Where do you get the latest beta driver for Radeon cards? I got a HD6850 for my older rig I use for console ports and/or games that don't need quad-core. I got the newest certified drivers but I can't find where you can get the newest beta drivers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The official cataylsts are the latest. There are no betas right now.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

The biggest jump over current consoles is high definition in textures. PC's are just infinitely more sharper, can make things look more natural and realistic (tessellation from nVidia is loving amazing and doesn't make any hits).

I would prefer the next generation of consoles be actually able to render games at 1080p with smooth framerates and none of this screen-tearing bullshit before they start plopping in more VRAM (though that couldn't hurt either).

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I went through a Diamondback and a Copperhead before I learned my lesson, and a friend had serious problems with his Tarantula and whatever the name was of the first pair of headphones they released. If they've fixed that more recently then you can ignore #3, but the shittiness of the cabling on the stuff that I've used in the past can't be understated.

I also had one of those cheap older Razer mice and had the cord break. I've had a Deathadder 3.5 since late 2009 when it came out and it still runs fine. I can't say anything about their other mice but judging from the Deathadder they've seemed to fix their cable problem.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone know of games that do useful things with a dual-monitor setup? I don't just mean stretching a picture across both screens, I mean actual stuff like gameplay on one screen and stats/maps or whatever on the other? Supreme Commander 2 does this and it's pretty loving cool, any others?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

bowmore posted:

Nevermind

Corsair Graphite 600T
Corsair Carbide 500R
Thermaltake Chaser Mk. 1
Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Fractal Design R3
Fractal Design XL

I build PC's for a living, and those are my current favorites hahah. Bang for the buck the 500R or the Fractal R3 are awesome, but the others are fantastic if you need what they have. The Thermaltake Chaser looks a little nerdy, but I'll be damned if it isn't laid out extremely well and have excellent air flow. And its quiet. I'm looking to upgrade my old case (Antec 300, piece of poo poo but I got it cheap hahah) and its either the Chaser or the 500R that I'm waffling between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

kuddles posted:

I think the best course of action for Battlefield would be to clip the mic to your cat.

• Locked thread