Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I just bit the bullet and purchased a vapor apx shaft and blade combo. drat you hockey for being so addicting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If it weren't for my pro hand-me-downs, I would be using something sub-$100. I go through enough sticks a year after wearing and toe chipping that I can't imagine dropping more than $100 per stick.

Ridiculous. I used wood sticks for my ball hockey league last year. Worked well. If it weren't cut down so far for playing on my feet, I would use it for other leagues.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

D C posted:

I spent $700 on sticks last week

lol

I took a full force deflected slap shot off my visor last night. It still hurt my nose but otherwise I'm find. I was kind of in shock for a little bit after it happened though.

Also the game finished 0-0, since when does that happen in a beer league.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

D C posted:

I spent $700 on sticks last week, bought the last 3 Warrior Widows in the curve/flex I use from Warrior Canada, I hate myself.

The sticks are soooooo good though.

You're the reason the prices are what they are :( .

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

lizardking posted:

Honestly, as with snowboarding, what you put your feet in is the last thing I would cheap out on. I would put the largest part of your budget towards skates.

Not that I'm an expert by any means, but this is what I did, like, last week.

I went in fully prepared to drop $300 on skates. Everything else I'm getting, I'm doing as cheaply as possible.

Ok maybe not as cheap as possible because I want some nice looking gloves in the color I want.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I bought $90 shin guards this week because I block shots a lot, and also my knee is lame and they had really good padding. They wrap around to my calf with a curved piece of plastic as well, so it's fantastic protection.

They replace low-budget $20 pads, and even though the padding makes them kind of awkward and bulky, they are awesome. No more limping to work the next day due to a slapper in the shin. (now I just limp from by bum knee)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got reebok 5k shinguards, and I easily have the thickest legs on the ice because of it. I've taken a few fast shots and all I feel is a dull thud. :smug:

Paid $50.. though I have no calf protection. Is that normal for defensemen?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mine are the Bauer X 41 or something. I don't think calf protection is normal for beer league, but I've taken enough stingers off the calf that I just said gently caress it.

One the one hand, it's beer league, I don't need pro poo poo, but on the other hand, it's beer league, I don't want to limp for a week after every game.

I also am on the verge of dropping $70-$100 on elbow pads because the cheap ones don't have enough protection for my boney elbows and I've already done minor nerve damage to one elbow by falling.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
When I got all my poo poo I went all out and bought Reebok 10K shin pads, I think the top model they made at the time. This was because I had already heard a bunch of people say "oh, hockey! yeah I used to play that until I hosed up my knee." Only later did I realize that lots of other shin pads don't have the extra calf protection.

A couple times in our league guys have gotten hit back there, but to be fair it doesn't cover the whole back of your leg, only the part (lower calf, right above the ankle) where I think it would hurt the least if you got hit with a puck. One guy took one right in the back of the knee (no protection there!) and was out for the rest of the game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's really tough to get over the price issue though.. dropping $100-$150 on each piece of gear adds up really fast when you own nothing but a pair of skates. I still got sticker shock when I kept my price to around $50 per piece of gear, and the register rang up a four hundred dollar tab. :aaaaa:

Plan is to upgrade one piece of gear a year, and hope I don't take any crippling injuries between now and then.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I spend on two things:

Helmet and skates

Everything else I go mid level or wait till the higher end stuff is a few seasons old and get it for cheap.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I stopped by hockey giant tonight to take a look at some gloves. I inquired of the attendant about their Eagle gloves and he made a face, and said something to the effect of "Eagle used to be great, but they went out of business then some other company bought them and now their gear is poo poo."

I could google this, I could have done it at the time too, but I didn't. I came here immediately to ask everyone their stance on this possible blasphemy. After hearing nothing but glowing reviews from you goons, has anyone heard of this about Eagle brand?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

cenzo posted:

I stopped by hockey giant tonight to take a look at some gloves. I inquired of the attendant about their Eagle gloves and he made a face, and said something to the effect of "Eagle used to be great, but they went out of business then some other company bought them and now their gear is poo poo."

I could google this, I could have done it at the time too, but I didn't. I came here immediately to ask everyone their stance on this possible blasphemy. After hearing nothing but glowing reviews from you goons, has anyone heard of this about Eagle brand?

They were bought by Vaughn

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=555800

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/hockey-talk/79454-vaughn-buys-eagle-official-info-2.html

And Vaughn also bought out part of Tackla..

Hockey companies are confusing as hell.. We had tons in the 80-90's that because 3-4 main companies but we are starting to get more out there now...

Another confusing thing is that some companies will have a USA, Canadian or European based division and they will be an entire separate entity and sometimes only one will get sold so HOCKEYCOMPANY USA will be different than HOCKEYCOMPANY Canada

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Aside from my pants (Vapor X40, love them) and skates (Vapor X5.0, also love them) my gear is pretty poo poo but there's nothing I'm really particularly unhappy with. I think I'll try and get my parents to get me some Reebok 5k shins for Christmas or something and I'd like to get some rad-looking gloves at some point in the future. Really the only complaint with my current stuff is that my lovely old Easton shins don't have removable liners and are starting to stink. Don't really see any point in ever upgrading my shoulder or elbow pads even though they're really low-end.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/PROPUCK_Roller_Hockey_Pucks/descpage-PPP.html

These are by far and away the best roller pucks I have ever used. Does anyone no any discount/warehouse places that sell them even cheaper in bulk?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Okposolypse posted:

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/PROPUCK_Roller_Hockey_Pucks/descpage-PPP.html

These are by far and away the best roller pucks I have ever used. Does anyone no any discount/warehouse places that sell them even cheaper in bulk?

They used to be 5.49 at IW and you could get them for 5.25 if you bought like 5+, looks like they raised the price of them. I used to love those pucks, especially for outdoor but the plastic breaks WAY too easily. Plus no indoor roller league uses those pucks so its pointless to get used to them.

Evil Mother Teresa
Sep 16, 2007
Anyone have high arches and use custom footbeds? I saw a podiatrist for constant heel pain a while back and he gave me a pair of $15 insoles with more support. They've been good for a while, but lately I've noticed the pain is starting to come back. I got my skates sharpened at a new shop today & the dude at the counter started telling me about Graf footbeds and how they're moldable and designed for skating and everyone in the NHL uses them blah blah blah. The only reason I didn't dismiss it entirely is because everything I read about the shop stated that they were complete skate nerds who absolutely know what they're talking about.

real_scud posted:

He's also kind of a giant douchebag so while he may know some of what he's talking about, he also likes to bullshit a lot.

I know this because I've seen him BS online and also whenever he works at the local pro-shop here in Orlando.

Oh and he's not that good at hockey at all yet bitches about any little touch against him as a penalty. It's awesome to watch.

I know this is like a week late, but in the last week I told myself I was going to stop reading that forum because that guy is a breathtakingly smug douchebag. Glad to know he's a complete clown in real life too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

So all the Flyers - Tampa forechecking mess got me thinking about how ineffective my beer league team is at it, probably because we don't know what we're doing. I think I've heard that the deepest forward (F1 I guess) should try to force the puck carrier towards the boards, is that right? Assuming all the forwards are more or less equally deep which position should pursue the puck carrier? I play center but a lot of times the wingers I'm with aren't very strong skaters so I'll forecheck deep but that leaves me a long skate back to my own end if we don't get a turnover. Is that something a winger should be doing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cats are idiots.

(I was trying to get that stuff in the wash, but cat decided she wanted to nap in smelly hockey gear)

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
For the person asking about MLX skates.. they were bought out by Easton

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2011/11/09/easton-purchases-mlx-skates-technology-creates-easton-speed-institute/

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

poser posted:

For the person asking about MLX skates.. they were bought out by Easton

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2011/11/09/easton-purchases-mlx-skates-technology-creates-easton-speed-institute/
Goddamnit, I hope they leave the MLX skates alone because Eaton's skates fit terribly on me and I was really hoping to get a pair of MLX's when I next had to buy skates.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Well ended up splitting a 3pack of those Tron's that are supposed to be compared to the S16. I apparently missed the sale, so emailed asking if they were doing it again, ended up giving them to me for $50 each, listed at $70. Will let everyone know how they are, since everyone seems to want to try them. http://www.hockeytron.com/tr154.html

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Evil Mother Teresa posted:

Anyone have high arches and use custom footbeds? I saw a podiatrist for constant heel pain a while back and he gave me a pair of $15 insoles with more support. They've been good for a while, but lately I've noticed the pain is starting to come back. I got my skates sharpened at a new shop today & the dude at the counter started telling me about Graf footbeds and how they're moldable and designed for skating and everyone in the NHL uses them blah blah blah. The only reason I didn't dismiss it entirely is because everything I read about the shop stated that they were complete skate nerds who absolutely know what they're talking about.

I have high arches and use the green Superfeet. For all my non-hockey stuff I have two pairs of orthotics that I rotate in and out of service (Skiing, hiking, cycling). The biggest problem with orthotics is that they have a lot of volume, and so don't do so well in tight-fitting footwear like skates.

I am, however, amazed that a podiatrist didn't try to sell you orthotics. That's pretty much what they do.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Thufir posted:

So all the Flyers - Tampa forechecking mess got me thinking about how ineffective my beer league team is at it, probably because we don't know what we're doing. I think I've heard that the deepest forward (F1 I guess) should try to force the puck carrier towards the boards, is that right? Assuming all the forwards are more or less equally deep which position should pursue the puck carrier? I play center but a lot of times the wingers I'm with aren't very strong skaters so I'll forecheck deep but that leaves me a long skate back to my own end if we don't get a turnover. Is that something a winger should be doing?

The most common forecheck has the first forward into the zone (F1) go to the puck, the second forward (F2) go towards the boards, where the winger in a basic breakout plays, and the third forward goes into the high slot area (F3). The reason your F1 want to play the puck handler towards the boards is because when he tries to make that breakout pass you will have F2 waiting there to make the play on the puck.

Likewise, if you play him inside towards the net, the puck handler can easily reverse play, and then you only have your high slot guy there to pressure the puck, and the other two forwards are more likely out of position. In that situation, it is F2's (the guy on the boards) resonsibility to hustle all the way across the ice to get in a similar position as he was in the original forecheck.

I hope that is an adequate explanation for your question. In your case, you would take the role of F1, and would need one of your wingers to make sure they get into the F2 position.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

dms666 posted:

Well ended up splitting a 3pack of those Tron's that are supposed to be compared to the S16. I apparently missed the sale, so emailed asking if they were doing it again, ended up giving them to me for $50 each, listed at $70. Will let everyone know how they are, since everyone seems to want to try them. http://www.hockeytron.com/tr154.html

No intermediate :(

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

bewbies posted:

When I watch hockey on TV it is super violent and they’re all huge, will I get crushed into the glass by a giant man and then have to drop the gloves and wind up in the hospital with no teeth?

To elaborate on this, hockey is nothing like football. Just because you're a massive rear end in a top hat doesn't mean you're gonna be the toughest poo poo on the ice. Checking takes skill and the ability to skate as fast as the other player.

Bone crunching hits usually only happen when the player on the receiving end isn't completely aware of his surroundings. If you keep your head up and stick on the ice, you can typically avoid getting flipped over someone's back.

There is a proper form to checking. I've seen big bad football players and lacrosse players get destroyed by checking someone. Yes, I did mean to say they got destroyed in the process of checking someone else. I used to play with a kid on the basketball team who was about 6 foot 5. I was 5 foot 10 at the time and the first time I checked him, I sent him tumbling over, upside down, on his head. He was so awkward on skates, after my first check, I felt shy about checking him with full force, so I'd just give him a nudge against the boards. He still fell over.

Checking has nothing to do with being big and tough, yet everything to do with speed, balance and stance. As long as people check with the main intent being to get the puck, it's a blast.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ZanderZ posted:

Checking has nothing to do with being big and tough, yet everything to do with speed, balance and stance. As long as people check with the main intent being to get the puck, it's a blast.

Only tangentially related, but this reminds me of an old Jeremy Roenick tale. Someone was commenting on how tough JR was or some such, and someone else wondered if he thought he could go toe-to-toe with Mike Tyson.

"On skates?" Roenick asked, "I'd kill him."

Hockey's all about leverage.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

real_scud posted:

Goddamnit, I hope they leave the MLX skates alone because Eaton's skates fit terribly on me and I was really hoping to get a pair of MLX's when I next had to buy skates.

Goddamnit indeed. The article says:

quote:

With the development of Easton’s new skate, the MLX skate brand will no longer be marketed.

Which pisses me off to no end because the new product will probably be dumbed down for mass production, and you know, not as good. I had a feeling something was up a couple months ago when I initially tried to order a size 11 of MLXs and wasn't able to get them due to "supply issues" with the holders. They still don't have any size 11s so they're probably just not ordering new parts. This buyout has probably been in the works for a while and I wouldn't be surprised if Easton unveils some new MLX-based skates soon. (which will probably be made in loving China)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn that sucks.

On the other hand, it saves me the trouble of deciding if I want to pony up the cash for a pair of MLX skates in a year or two.

Sucks that boutique makers can't keep their head above water in the hockey world.

Evil Mother Teresa
Sep 16, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

I have high arches and use the green Superfeet. For all my non-hockey stuff I have two pairs of orthotics that I rotate in and out of service (Skiing, hiking, cycling). The biggest problem with orthotics is that they have a lot of volume, and so don't do so well in tight-fitting footwear like skates.

I am, however, amazed that a podiatrist didn't try to sell you orthotics. That's pretty much what they do.

Hmm. The Superfeet cost about half as much as the Grafs. They aren't heat moldable, but I suppose as long as they get the job done that's the important thing.

And yeah, he didn't seem like a particularly good podiatrist. He mentioned customs in passing; his main solution for the pain (after giving me some sort of expensive topical aspirin) was to just give me a cortisone shot. We never got to that point. And I still have a poo poo-ton of that cream left.

bytebark posted:

Which pisses me off to no end because the new product will probably be dumbed down for mass production, and you know, not as good. I had a feeling something was up a couple months ago when I initially tried to order a size 11 of MLXs and wasn't able to get them due to "supply issues" with the holders. They still don't have any size 11s so they're probably just not ordering new parts. This buyout has probably been in the works for a while and I wouldn't be surprised if Easton unveils some new MLX-based skates soon. (which will probably be made in loving China)

Could be good technology-wise, but if they don't figure out their durability issues it's meaningless. I got a pair of Eastons when I got back into hockey. They were fine until I started playing a lot more and a lot harder, at which point they started breaking down quickly. They weren't a high end model, but I was amazed at how soft the boot actually was once I bought a pair of Vapors to replace them. Plus the cap was coming loose, the stitching was beat, etc. I've seen some dudes skating in higher end models, but they tend to be falling apart on their feet as well.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Sellout you going to Bauer Exp tomorrow?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I cant. Came down with stomach flu so am trying to get back on track for games sat/sun.

I also don't need to spend the money they're going to talk out of me.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I skated for about 3hrs today and I'm so freaking tired. I need to get back in shape, what do you fools recommend?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

I skated for about 3hrs today and I'm so freaking tired. I need to get back in shape, what do you fools recommend?

Jump rope until you puke.

Or lunges.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Could be good technology-wise, but if they don't figure out their durability issues it's meaningless. I got a pair of Eastons when I got back into hockey. They were fine until I started playing a lot more and a lot harder, at which point they started breaking down quickly. They weren't a high end model, but I was amazed at how soft the boot actually was once I bought a pair of Vapors to replace them. Plus the cap was coming loose, the stitching was beat, etc. I've seen some dudes skating in higher end models, but they tend to be falling apart on their feet as well.

What is Easton steel like? Before buying my now-retired Reeboks I had always heard Easton steel was soft and (aside from the fact that my feet wouldn't fit in them) that's why I didn't get a pair of Eastons. Of course the Reeboks didn't exactly prove their worth either in this regard. Six hours of ice time (about two weeks for me) would result in blades so dull I couldn't do crossovers without falling down and a proper hockey stop wasn't so much as "whoa I'm goin long" as it was "hahaha am I supposed to be slowing down here?"

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Got a new stick :toot:

77 flex, Stamkos curve.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bytebark posted:

What is Easton steel like? Before buying my now-retired Reeboks I had always heard Easton steel was soft and (aside from the fact that my feet wouldn't fit in them) that's why I didn't get a pair of Eastons. Of course the Reeboks didn't exactly prove their worth either in this regard. Six hours of ice time (about two weeks for me) would result in blades so dull I couldn't do crossovers without falling down and a proper hockey stop wasn't so much as "whoa I'm goin long" as it was "hahaha am I supposed to be slowing down here?"

I get about 15-20 hours on my EQ40's before I feel like I am sliding around.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

poser posted:

Keep skating!

Played last night with my new APX 2 piece and I freaking love it. Blade was a little wobbly at the hosel though probably going to have to reheat and apply some more glue

Evil Mother Teresa
Sep 16, 2007

bytebark posted:

I'd agree with xzzy and say about the same. Admittedly, I'll push it and will go a while without sharpening. Not that I don't notice it eventually, but my excuses include laziness and lovely rink pro shop hours.

lazerwolf posted:

Keep skating!

Played last night with my new APX 2 piece and I freaking love it. Blade was a little wobbly at the hosel though probably going to have to reheat and apply some more glue

Scrape off the glue and put a strip of tape around both sides of the hosel. Then reapply the glue (you could probably buy a stick or two from your pro shop for cheap). If it's rattling all the glue in the world won't stop it from eventually falling out. I have an X60 shaft that the blade came loose from constantly until I taped it.

Evil Mother Teresa fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

xzzy posted:

I get about 15-20 hours on my EQ40's before I feel like I am sliding around.

I'd agree with xzzy and say about the same. Admittedly, I'll push it and will go a while without sharpening. Not that I don't notice it eventually, but my excuses include laziness and lovely rink pro shop hours.

Jesus Pissing Christ. My old skates were seriously hosed.