Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Should I take a 14 year old boy to a Wu Tang show?
What about a 12 year old girl?

I saw Snoop at the same venue 8 or 9 years ago and I think people were puffing, but I have no idea if Wu Tang shows are like that.

Edit: It's probably important to note that the show is in Portland, ME ao imagine it is could be Sheboygan, WI; Portsmouth, NH; Sandusky, OH; Burlington, VT; Corvallis, OR or somewhere like that.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Very Strange Things posted:

I saw Snoop at the same venue 8 or 9 years ago and I think people were puffing, but I have no idea if Wu Tang shows are like that.
I have never been to a concert in which people were not passing around joints. I went to a David Byrne concert in a very nice theater with a crowd of mostly age 40+ people and everyone was still getting high. If you're worried about exposing them to pot, a Wu Tang show is probably not the best choice.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Could anyone identify this sculpture for me?Just the name is sufficient. I believe it's a High Renaissance piece. confirm/deny?

Or tell me where to post and ask?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Could anyone identify this sculpture for me?Just the name is sufficient. I believe it's a High Renaissance piece. confirm/deny?

Or tell me where to post and ask?

I GISed "rape of sculpture" because it looked like Zeus or some other god doing one of the famous mythological rapes like "rape of europa" and it looks like it's a "rape of Persepone". edit: "Persephone", I meant of course, and it's by Bernini in the 1600s.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 10, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Edit: It's probably important to note that the show is in Portland, ME ao imagine it is could be Sheboygan, WI; Portsmouth, NH; Sandusky, OH; Burlington, VT; Corvallis, OR or somewhere like that.

Seems like with this type of kid question, "If you have to ask, then it's probably not appropriate", is not a bad rule of thumb.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

I GISed "rape of sculpture" because it looked like Zeus or some other god doing one of the famous mythological rapes like "rape of europa" and it looks like it's a "rape of Persepone". edit: "Persephone", I meant of course, and it's by Bernini in the 1600s.
Yes, and the god involved is Hades.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
drat you guys are great! Thank you.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Do traffic lights change based on recorded traffic data or do they somehow analyze current traffic conditions?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Manslaughter posted:

Do traffic lights change based on recorded traffic data or do they somehow analyze current traffic conditions?

A and B. There's some human control based on past condition and some dynamic stuff. There are sensors underneath the roads that can detect when a car is on it. Traffic lights can use these to determine, for example, that they shouldn't change because there are still people coming one way and no-one waiting to go on the other.

For a better answer, try this thread.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
Quick question, is it legal to carry airplane style bottles of booze through security at the airport? Less than 3 oz obviously, and packed responsibly in my carry on. I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce my standard 100 dollar airport tab...

(I know I can't technically drink them on the plane, but I'm sneaky.)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Looks like alcohol is acceptable under the "3-1-1 rules". An exception is beverages more than 70% ABC (140 proof), so, uh, no everclear?

You're also good to drink whatever you buy in duty-free shops, if there are any in your airport of choice.

Edit: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
I need help choosing an mp3 player.

The person I'm buying it for wants a bare-bones mp3 player to plug into his car stereo, isn't interested in watching video on it, and doesn't understand how he can listen to music on a cell phone. He bought all his music off itunes. He had an old "classic" ipod (which he lost) and wouldn't want to bother with converting files to a new format if it wouldn't be extremely easy.

Any suggestions?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there some sort of online map where I can rip off a place like..say California (or whatever), and drag it over another landmass to compare sizes? I know there was one where someone dragged Alaska over the U.S and it was actually a lot bigger than I imagined. It would be cool to find a similar thing that way I can finally see how many Rhode Islands large Texas is. (Rhode island is the US's yardstick)

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010
I want to put up a short clip of Simpsons on Youtube. How do I make sure it doesn't get taken down? Or is it simply futile? :(

Also, I reckon I can do some (funny) voice acting and IIRC some goons have their own threads here on SA. How should I get started? (eg, where should I start a thread? Is there a megathread? Should I piggyback on someone else's thread? etc.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Giant Squid posted:

The person I'm buying it for wants a bare-bones mp3 player to plug into his car stereo, isn't interested in watching video on it, and doesn't understand how he can listen to music on a cell phone. He bought all his music off itunes. He had an old "classic" ipod (which he lost) and wouldn't want to bother with converting files to a new format if it wouldn't be extremely easy.

Any suggestions?

Another ipod.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Giant Squid posted:

Any suggestions?

Yeah, another iPod, as much as I dislike them. You can get "classic" iPods that look stupid to me but if it's what he's used to it'll be great.

I'd recommend an old-style iRiver (mine is completely awesome and has lasted about 6 years now), but apparently they stopped making them.

Edit: 7 years. gently caress it's old.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

UncleRadnor posted:

I want to put up a short clip of Simpsons on Youtube. How do I make sure it doesn't get taken down? Or is it simply futile? :(

What clip are you uploading? I can't imagine any of the Komedy Klassics being absent from YouTube.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, another iPod, as much as I dislike them. You can get "classic" iPods that look stupid to me but if it's what he's used to it'll be great.

I'd recommend an old-style iRiver (mine is completely awesome and has lasted about 6 years now), but apparently they stopped making them.

Edit: 7 years. gently caress it's old.

(sorry for doublepost, this came up when I was making my first)

I had my iRiver for ages and ages and over the years I must have listened to hundreds of thousands of songs on it, while also frequently using some trick that I've since forgot to use it as a mass storage device. Once it had aged so many years I said to myself "I could never let this precious old friend break or become scuffed!" so I bought a nice rubber case for it. BUT it turns out that rubber case somehow trapped moisture inside and it pooled around all the open doo-dads and gizmo parts and ruined my ancient iRiver via water damage.

The old adage holds true: life imitates The Twilight Zone. blow your terrible head off right now to avoid ironic surprise twists.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

Rubies posted:

What clip are you uploading? I can't imagine any of the Komedy Klassics being absent from YouTube.

Nevermind, I searched for it with different search terms and I got it
Homer thinks of Rock and Roll Part 2 at Selma's wedding with Troy McClure

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Is it more economical to buy bar soap or body wash?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Swillkitsch posted:

Personally, I find soap much, much cheaper.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Swillkitsch posted:

What spog said. Most body washes I come across are about $4 average. Meanwhile, I can spend $3 and buy a 12-14 bar pack of Coast or Dial soap and be using it for what feels like months at a time. The one time I used body wash, three showers and it was all gone. I don't use body wash, and I never feel as clean as I do when I use bar soap.

There's also trash: with a bar of soap, you've got a wrapper or box that can be torn up or crushed flat for minimal garbage space, or you can have an empty plastic bottle that takes up half your bathroom wastebasket; take your pick.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

You Are A Elf posted:

The one time I used body wash, three showers and it was all gone.

You're either exaggerating or you're doing it wrong.

If you're concerned with getting your money's worth, use a loofa. It seems girly for guys to do, but it'll make the body wash last double the amount of time.

Bar soap is cheaper and lasts much longer, but cheap bar soap dries the hell out of my skin.

Per wash, bar soap is cheaper probably by tenfold but generally of poor quality while body wash will get you cleaner and cause you to not have to spend money on boatloads of moisturizer in the winter.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Giant Squid posted:

Any suggestions?
iPod nano or classic

Swillkitsch posted:

Dr. Bronner's liquid soap and dilute it. It's also shampoo. No sulfates.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
My city has a 2 hour parking limit on certain street before 6pm. Does that mean I can park on those streets at 4:15pm and leave it there the rest of the night?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

KittenofDoom posted:

My city has a 2 hour parking limit on certain street before 6pm. Does that mean I can park on those streets at 4:15pm and leave it there the rest of the night?

In my city and in the surrounding, that would mean that enforcement of that time limit stops at six. So as long as you're within the guidelines before they stop enforcing you should be good until the next day. Though YMMV depending on whatever city you happen to live in. Call the parking clerk if you have one to make sure.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

KittenofDoom posted:

You'll be fine. Odds are a parking attendant didn't see you park and noted the time that you stopped. Even if they did, you're still within the 2 hour constraint.

Usually those times start again in the morning pretty early though, like 6-8AM, so make sure to move your car before then.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 11, 2011

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
How is sound in film done? Not foley work, but speech/dialogue. I know there are boom mics but are they really sensitive enough to record the incredibly clear sound you'd hear in a finished movie? Assume I'm a child here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

How is sound in film done? Not foley work, but speech/dialogue. I know there are boom mics but are they really sensitive enough to record the incredibly clear sound you'd hear in a finished movie? Assume I'm a child here

Sometimes that is exactly the case. Quite often they are not, or there's too much background noise, in which case they do ADR, which is literally the actors lip-synching with themselves in a quiet environment.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I called my airline that's taking me back to the US and they're totally cool with knitting needles onboard as long as there's a 'visible project' on them. This seems like such a small, silly, simple thing, but d'you guys think security is going to ask to see me sit there and knit a couple stitches before they let me on? It isn't so much that this is a big deal, but if it's likely I'd like to plan ahead, have my project out and my hands free.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I called my airline that's taking me back to the US and they're totally cool with knitting needles onboard as long as there's a 'visible project' on them. This seems like such a small, silly, simple thing, but d'you guys think security is going to ask to see me sit there and knit a couple stitches before they let me on? It isn't so much that this is a big deal, but if it's likely I'd like to plan ahead, have my project out and my hands free.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but never trust airport security to know poo poo about airline policies or anything else. If that person is in a lovely mood (or in a great mood but over-earnest) they will just put your poo poo straight in the bin for whatever reason they feel like giving. Not worth the risk imo unless you can easily get other needles wherever you're going.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rubies posted:

I had my iRiver for ages and ages and over the years I must have listened to hundreds of thousands of songs on it, while also frequently using some trick that I've since forgot to use it as a mass storage device.

I won't turn this thread into iRiver chat, but on the H series, you simply drag and drop whatever the hell you like to the device, and if it's unplayable the player thing just skips over it (and apparently the music library tagged player thingy just ignores it, but I've never used that since all my music is played directly from the directory structure. I'll be sad when I have to replace it with a player that relies on tags).

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
I need help finding a program that I know exists (I saw it) and a program I'm hoping exists:

1. A remote control for someone's PC: preferably, one without downloading any programs. There was a freeware website where you got, like, passcodes between your two pcs? I need to do some troubleshooting for a grandparent, and I doubt she could handle d/ling any programs.

2. Any kind of free program for organizing and listing books you own. I can just use an Excel sheet if I have to, but I'd like a way to sort alphabetically, by author, etc. Nothing too complicated, just something basic.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

One of a Kind posted:

I need help finding a program that I know exists (I saw it) and a program I'm hoping exists:

1. A remote control for someone's PC: preferably, one without downloading any programs. There was a freeware website where you got, like, passcodes between your two pcs? I need to do some troubleshooting for a grandparent, and I doubt she could handle d/ling any programs.

You could use something like GoToAssist. They have a day pass for $10. There's nothing for them to install, they get an email link and I think it's all java based so they would just have to click OK to run the applet.
http://www.gotoassist.com/en_US/expPricing.tmpl

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No, knitting needles do not need a "visible project" on them:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

If you think there will be problems, just print out a copy of the above page and bring it with you.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

When a person loses weight, where does it go? The actual matter I mean. Is it mostly excreted in the urine or stool, expelled when they breathe out, or what?

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

One of a Kind posted:

I've never personally used it but I've seen join.me recommended before and it looks like exactly what you want. Let me know how it goes!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Torka posted:

When a person loses weight, where does it go? The actual matter I mean. Is it mostly excreted in the urine or stool, expelled when they breathe out, or what?

It's burnt by the body to produce the energy that lets you move around.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

vanessa posted:

No, knitting needles do not need a "visible project" on them:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

If you think there will be problems, just print out a copy of the above page and bring it with you.

I'm flying from Tokyo, though. TSA is a US thing, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

Pympede posted:

I've never personally used it but I've seen join.me recommended before and it looks like exactly what you want. Let me know how it goes!

Ah, that looks like the program I remember. Thanks!