Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got a 2-piece Olympia setup. I've had both liners in the jacket for the last couple weeks, and use the pants without the rain liner. Some nice waterproof/insulated Teknic gloves, and a balaclava under the helmet to cover up my neck. I used to try riding with just a heavier winter jacket over my leather jacket, but the lack of windproofing is really the problem.

With just this setup, I'm comfortable for my 10 minute ride to work down to the low 20s. I'll start wearing thermal bottoms once the highs are in the low 40's, but that's because I work mostly in a warehouse, and when we take deliveries it can get a bit chilly even inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I might've said this before but in CT it's not the cold that stops the riding season, it's when the DOT starts hosing down the streets with sand.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Snowdens Secret posted:

I might've said this before but in CT it's not the cold that stops the riding season, it's when the DOT starts hosing down the streets with sand.

Texas Motorcycle Supremacy.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
At least sand is better than salt.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they cleaned it up as soon as it gets warm out. My spring riding was along the lines of "It's been a month since it snowed last, why is there still so much sand HOLY poo poo POTHOLE"

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

invision posted:

:australia: Motorcycle Supremacy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

the walkin dude posted:

I've been insanely craving for 1000cc vtwin action. My naked SV650 has been my focus for the past month, thanks to its supreme handling and roadability. But I want more than 70 horsepower. :supaburn:

http://www.rotrex.com/ has what you need.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

the walkin dude posted:

At least sand is better than salt.

At least you can buy a jalopy for the winter/coat your bike in some anti-salt crap.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Fangs404 posted:

40s is fine as long as you have the right gear. I only have 2 jackets - a mesh jacket and a perforated leather jacket. It's drat cold without something to block the wind even with an Under Armour shirt and hoodie under the leather jacket. The wind just eats right through it. I don't have the money to buy new gear now which is why I retired the bike. Next year, though, I plan on buying a non-perforated leather jacket so that I can ride right up until it starts snowing.

I'm in Iowa City. You? Who else is in IA?

Armyman25 posted:

Polk County here.

Polk as well. Pretty sure there's someone else in the Waterloo area or somewhere over there. Once the weather straightens up a bit we'll have to get a ride going.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I want to get a Diavel and put ape hangers on the mother. That is all.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

needknees posted:

Polk as well. Pretty sure there's someone else in the Waterloo area or somewhere over there. Once the weather straightens up a bit we'll have to get a ride going.

Count me in. That'd be a lot of fun.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Z3n posted:

In other news...

This came up recently, and I had to find it and laugh and share again:

http://smrfcop.com/Smrfmobile.html

:haw:

I'm not usually one to be like "You probably shouldn't ride a motorcycle", but...

REALLY? You dropped a Piaggo MP3 on your own? How is that even possible?

I know this is way back in the thread but....I tip my mp3 over all the time. I'm usually washing it in the driveway. It goes a little something like this:
Pop bike on center stand
Disengage front suspension to clean wheel wells
Clean other stuff
Pop shiny clean bike off center stand
Watch it slowly tip over.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

its like lava posted:

I know this is way back in the thread but....I tip my mp3 over all the time. I'm usually washing it in the driveway. It goes a little something like this:
Pop bike on center stand
Disengage front suspension to clean wheel wells
Clean other stuff
Pop shiny clean bike off center stand
Watch it slowly tip over.

Perhaps a nice Miata?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
How is that even legal? It has 4 wheels.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

nsaP posted:

It has five. And probably because nobody would loving know what it was.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

nsaP posted:

Did any of you even try to figure out what happened here? It's owned by a severely handicapped person of rather low hight. No, it's not owned by me or anybody I know, but it's all in the crazy-cat-person-midget-website link Z3n provided. It's simply not polite to laugh.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What the gently caress are you on about?

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It has five. And probably because nobody would loving know what it was.

I didn't click the link, but regardless...I thought the rules changed with respect to safety and registration laws when you went above 3 wheels.

Hah, I just thought too, about all the engineering that went into the front end of that scooter that was pretty much negated.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

nsaP posted:

What the gently caress are you on about?

Just made me simultaneous sad and very happy actually digging into that site.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Just made me simultaneous sad and very happy actually digging into that site.

I'd have a little more respect if she wasn't batshit insane, and the abuse that's been heaped on people I know as a result of that.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

I'd have a little more respect if she wasn't batshit insane, and the abuse that's been heaped on people I know as a result of that.

I just don't know, man. Can't read that solely from a website. I was just happy that the insane midget rode a bike. Well, some kind of bike :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well, I was questioning how it was legal, not mocking the owner. Then, since you said something, I went to the website. Now I'm going to mock the owner.

quote:

KLM Innovations Spin-Caps® Chromies Locking Valve Stem Caps "Chromies Tri-Cut (B-Stock)" installed by mio on 10/15/08 from http://spin-caps.com $14.95

reflective license plate bolts installed by mio on 10/18/08 from ebay.com seller motografixx $4.99

Liquid Caddy gimballed cupholder from http://boatshowproducts.com/liquid-caddy.html $21.95 for 2 (SALE) plus S&H (the prior cupholder shown in pic 10/25/08 was unreliable and removed)

reflective checker decals installed 10/25/08 by mio from https://www.reflectivedecals.com $25.00 (helmet kit) & $65.00 (fairing kit) plus S&H
The cupholder comes in handy for their meetings at starbucks. There were good pictures.

And every mod on there has a price with it...who does that? It's just showing people how much they overpaid for a lot of that stuff. I'm sure a lot of it is useful but jesus, the person has put more than the cost of the scoot into it. A quick guess is over 5k into it, not counting any gear that they had as well (at least 2500 bucks worth of that too it looks like).

People gotta do what makes them happy, but I'll still think it's dumb. 90 dollars on reflective decals? wth

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

nsaP posted:

Well, I was questioning how it was legal, not mocking the owner. Then, since you said something, I went to the website. Now I'm going to mock the owner.

The cupholder comes in handy for their meetings at starbucks. There were good pictures.

And every mod on there has a price with it...who does that? It's just showing people how much they overpaid for a lot of that stuff. I'm sure a lot of it is useful but jesus, the person has put more than the cost of the scoot into it. A quick guess is over 5k into it, not counting any gear that they had as well (at least 2500 bucks worth of that too it looks like).

People gotta do what makes them happy, but I'll still think it's dumb. 90 dollars on reflective decals? wth

Hehehe. That's pretty much what made some of us sad.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sir Cornelius posted:

I just don't know, man. Can't read that solely from a website. I was just happy that the insane midget rode a bike. Well, some kind of bike :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2032191&pagenumber=205&perpage=40#post380063987 :)

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

PitViper posted:

I'm in Minnesota, and thinking about parking the bike tomorrow. They're forecasting rain/show showers tomorrow, but then the weather clears up for another week. Maybe I'll drive the car for just one day...

Saturday is my planned winterizing day. Ever since I lost a ton of weight, cold is a lot more noticeable and I can no longer tough it out in high 30s low 40s anymore.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

BradleyJamers posted:

Saturday is my planned winterizing day. Ever since I lost a ton of weight, cold is a lot more noticeable and I can no longer tough it out in high 30s low 40s anymore.

I think I've come up with a new cold weather strategy!

Something I've noticed watching movies about older motorcycles is it seems like the older bikes were more versatile than the bikes of today.

Here's a clip of a 1942 HD on dirt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAM6o4L5t4#t=3m10s

I can't see someone taking their 2011 Harley Davidson chrome and leather cycle anywhere near dirt or gravel. Might chip the paint!

Is it just that bikes have become more specialized or am I just not thinking of the right machines?

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 11, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Armyman25 posted:

Is it just that bikes have become more specialized or am I just not thinking of the right machines?

Standard bikes can still do pretty much anything you ask of them.

Hell, people have gone offroad on sports bikes with clipons with only mild discomfort.

People these days are just pussies, I have no problems taking my Bandit down dirt roads.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Armyman25 posted:

Nope, a modern Harley could still do that. Could probably do it better than the old one. As mentioned above, people are just pussies.

To a certain extent, any bike can do any kind of riding, its just a matter of how far you're willing to go outside of the comfort zone.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Armyman25 posted:

Depends on what your comfort zone is and sometimes ground clearance. My SV has seen a lot of fire roads, some very mild single track, water crossings and lots of mild off-road. Sure it might not be the best tool for the job but it was fun and I would do it again.

edit: true tires can put a limit on how difficult of terrain you can tackle but most people would be amazed just how well pilot roads or similar do as long as it isn't deep sand or slick mud.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 11, 2011

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'd argue that tires have become more specialized and what tires you have on play a big part in what your bike can/can't do, especially when you're talking going off-road

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Agree. I started riding in August. It's a standard cx500C, we put dual-sport tires on it and my dad fabricated a rock guard. Voila, it's kind of a dual sport.

Tires made all the difference, I went from feeling like I was plowing through sand/gravel on street tires to having enough traction to ride confidently on it.

Or you can do this:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46633

I think I'll just buy a real dual-sport when the time comes. The part of Kansas I live in is poo poo for twisty roads. Riding out on the range and on other dirt/sand/gravel roads is a lot more fun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

thylacine posted:

Or you can do this:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46633

That is unbelievably awesome

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Where are you in Kansas? My dad is near Dodge City and every time I go out there we ride his dirt bikes around all of the dirt access roads. You just can't do that poo poo in southern California.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

thylacine posted:

Your dad is awesome. I seem to remember that a Yamaha XT600 fork will pretty much be a bolt-on. Demand that he investigates this.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Depends on what your comfort zone is and sometimes ground clearance. My SV has seen a lot of fire roads, some very mild single track, water crossings and lots of mild off-road. Sure it might not be the best tool for the job but it was fun and I would do it again.

This afternoon I discovered that my SV is perfectly capable of handling curbs, sidewalks, grass, and mounds of gravel. Detouring for road work is for schmucks. The road crew seemed amused.

Now I want a dirtbike and/or a supermoto.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 13, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Turning a bike into a "streetfighter" is just removing the fairings?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epswing posted:

Turning a bike into a "streetfighter" is just removing the fairings?

It can be, in the same sense that making a cafe racer involves only flipping the handlebars upside down.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My local plod are finally meant to be running a crackdown on stupid-loud pipes. The legislation has technically been there for years but because we don't have an MOT vehicles rarely get measured. Everyone just sticks on the loudest pipe that the Two Screaming Yoshimurapovic Brothers have to offer in the assumption that no-one is going to do anything about it.

:smug: JOKES ON YOU DICKWADS

A Biker Friend on Facebook posted:

"Police target noise pollution"

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!! gently caress YOU VERY MUCH!!!
[cue raucous agreement, "never a truer word spoken", etc.]

Initial trolling has had no takers yet, but I think that's down to mid week club meetings;

My Reply posted:

Loud pipes:
Are a poor excuse for good riding skills.
Make a lot of the general public hostile towards riders.
Make it harder for riders to be taken seriously as equal road users.

If you want loud pipes for the awesome sound then rock on. It's your bike, do what you want to it, but don't give me that "b-but how will people NOTICE ME?" bullshit. Ask yourself this; why haven't you noticed them?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I like my loud pipes so much so that I took the baffles out after 3 days and regretted ever installing them.

Come at me bros

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

I like my loud pipes so much so that I took the baffles out after 3 days and regretted ever installing them.

Come at me bros

im this guy http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e23_1278608899

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Olde Weird Tip posted:

im this guy http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e23_1278608899

Whenever I see your new username I sing the chorus to Rocky Top in my head.

"Good old weird tip, weird tip Tennessee"