Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Really niche titles like that tend to take a while to get reviewed, if they ever do. I don't think reviewers get advance copies of stuff like that.

But thanks for reminding me that I still need to finish F/SN so I can watch Fate/Zero and now play Fate/Extra. :negative:

bloodychill posted:

I kind of don't get the "PSP is dead" poo poo I see on the net. It's more that UMD's are dead. Any PSP game will play on the Vita, and I sure as hell will be using the Vita to play my backlog of PSP/PS1 games from PSN. They better have some easy way to transfer save data though.

Most people simply don't know about all the games that are released for the PSP, because the vast majority of them are Japanese and Japanese games that aren't Mario or Zelda are niche now, pretty much. The PSP and DS are by far my favorite consoles this generation, but I'm playing PSP games like P3P, Persona 2, Tactics Ogre, Ys Seven, ZHP, etc.: all games that the average gamer knows nothing about.

The PSP's problem is that the Japanese are wary of localizing games in NA because of piracy and because the market for them isn't what it once was, but the Japanese are pretty much the only ones making games for the PSP. We get a fraction of the games that the Japanese get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
Fate/Extra is pretty ok. If you are a Type-Moon fan it's definitely worth picking up. If you're not you won't be missing out on anything huge by giving it a pass. It's anime as all gently caress, but if you're even passingly familiar with Type-Moon you already know that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Viash posted:

It's anime as all gently caress
This goes without saying. It's like when a new Ar Tonelico comes out. You just know.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Viash posted:

Fate/Extra is pretty ok. If you are a Type-Moon fan it's definitely worth picking up. If you're not you won't be missing out on anything huge by giving it a pass. It's anime as all gently caress, but if you're even passingly familiar with Type-Moon you already know that.

The main Servant has a transparent curtain where the front of her skirt should be. I'm pretty 'anime as gently caress' can be surmised simply from looking at the front cover.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I still play the hell out of my PSP.

There is one--ONE-- review for Fate/Extra. Bizarre. Is there some sort of review embargo out on it right now?

It's an anime game based on a visual novel that has never and will never see an official english release that is being published by a small publisher with zero advertising on a system that most people ignore during the time of year that all the major big budget games come out. Most places probably don't see the point in reviewing it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

WrightOfWay posted:

It's an anime game based on a visual novel that has never and will never see an official english release that is being published by a small publisher with zero advertising on a system that most people ignore during the time of year that all the major big budget games come out. Most places probably don't see the point in reviewing it.

This pretty much sums up F/E's release. I'll be kind of surprised if it breaks a couple thousand sales over here.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aksys seems to be going off the deep end as of late when it comes to making localization picks. I doubt Hakuoki is going to perform any better.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm pretty drat surprised it even got released here. I don't see how a publisher could make a profit from localizing it, but Aksys makes a living publishing super niche Japanese games so I suppose they know what they're doing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, it seems like Aksys is picking games right now that won't hurt them very much if they bomb. Maybe Fate/Extra and Hakuoki will be like bumps on the road for them until they localize Agarest War 2 or whatever.

At least they're not XSEED, who seems to be chasing a dying white whale called Trails in the Sky.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

It's a shame there probably won't be a localization of the rest of Trails in the Sky series. I found the first game to be a decent little JRPG.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Most people simply don't know about all the games that are released for the PSP, because the vast majority of them are Japanese and Japanese games that aren't Mario or Zelda are niche now, pretty much. The PSP and DS are by far my favorite consoles this generation, but I'm playing PSP games like P3P, Persona 2, Tactics Ogre, Ys Seven, ZHP, etc.: all games that the average gamer knows nothing about.

The PSP's problem is that the Japanese are wary of localizing games in NA because of piracy and because the market for them isn't what it once was, but the Japanese are pretty much the only ones making games for the PSP. We get a fraction of the games that the Japanese get.

I get that. You can look at the last two years of PSP titles and see almost all niche Japanese-produced titles. It's annoying though because there are a lot of nice titles for the thing. Pretty much every tactics game, remake or not, that I've played on the PSP has been amazing. It seems like Front Mission is pretty much a dying franchise here in the US with FM5 not getting localized, seems like another great series to move to handheld.

I also liked a lot of the small or old-school style fun titles like the Badman/No More Heroes titles and Patapon. The big move in handheld/mobile games towards touch has been annoying me, and I say that as an iOS developer. It just doesn't work well for many types of games, which happen to be fun. The big draw for developers and part of the immense success of Droid/iOS (and Steam for that matter) is that very small studios can develop for it and be successful, not the touch capabilities. Sony or Nintendo need to open up to that and start encouraging small-scale developers to work with their handheld platforms.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Having played it for a bit... Fate/Extra is pretty okay. I like it. The prologue nicely twisted all of my expectations in a way I haven't seen in a while, if it can pull out a few more narrative tricks like this it'll earn a place in my heart.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

bloodychill posted:

I kind of don't get the "PSP is dead" poo poo I see on the net.
Go to metacritic.com and open up tabs for the gaming platforms. Then click on "Coming soon" in each tab.

That should explain very nicely where that sentiment comes from.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's not really a sentiment as much as fact outside of Japan.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Gameplay seems poor. Just lock on, spam shoot, and roll around. Everything has too much health.

This is completely the wrong way to fight.

When the enemy is vulnerable, the lock-on reticule changes colour and any attack done at this instant will be a critical, killing most enemies instantly and dealing enormous damage to bosses.

To defeat enemies quickly, you need to read their movements and have good timing, as slow characters will need to attack before the reticule changes in order to hit them at the correct time.

I've been playing Type-0 for a while now, and it's awesome. Especially the eidolon battles.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

It's a shame there probably won't be a localization of the rest of Trails in the Sky series. I found the first game to be a decent little JRPG.

It's a shame because XSEED is actually localizing Trails 2 and they don't seem to see why they shouldn't, even though they say all the reasons why. They admitted that the PSP is on the way out in America, that Trails 1 didn't sell very well at all, and that because of the sheer size of Trails 2 they had to halve the number of games they could afford to localize.

I played Trails 1 at a friend's once. It seemed like a nice little JRPG but it wasn't anything special from what I saw. I just can't fathom why XSEED is obsessed over it. Why they have to chase a 6 year old PSP JRPG trilogy when the newest Falcom Legend of Heroes trilogy is coming to PlayStation Vita. It honestly reminds me of Working Designs and Arc the Lad Collection, but that's an entirely different "he said/she said" matter altogether.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I swear one of these companies is going to figure out that they'll be able to get almost as many sales a lot cheaper by localizing and releasing them on the PSN only. Right? I mean surely there's no other reason my pipe dream can't be realized :ohdear:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Policenaut posted:

I played Trails 1 at a friend's once. It seemed like a nice little JRPG but it wasn't anything special from what I saw. I just can't fathom why XSEED is obsessed over it. Why they have to chase a 6 year old PSP JRPG trilogy when the newest Falcom Legend of Heroes trilogy is coming to PlayStation Vita. It honestly reminds me of Working Designs and Arc the Lad Collection, but that's an entirely different "he said/she said" matter altogether.

The issue is, the entire Trails/Kiseki series is interconnected, plotwise. Techncially a company could start with Zero no Kiseki, I suppose (it was designed to be friendly to series newcomers as it's the first PSP-exclusive entry in the series), and on the whole it'd make sense, but without having played Trails in the Sky SC, some events in the game won't have nearly as much impact. And of course, SC pretty much requires that you play Sky FC (the game we got this year) to make any sense at all since FC and SC were originally one game, and then Ao no Kiseki assumes you played Zero all the way through...

Basically, it's more a case of "these games should've been brought over years ago so there isn't a huge backlog of content" more than anything else. To really do it "right" you have to bring over every game in order and at least have them available for players who come in late (with the possible exception of Trails in the Sky 3rd) or else players will legitimately miss out.

It's also generally be a shame to miss out on SC if only because it builds on what the first Trails game did in every way (not really a surprise, given that the two were originally going to be one game). The first game establishes the characters, and then SC actually does things with them. A whole lot of things, as a matter of fact.

RentACop posted:

I swear one of these companies is going to figure out that they'll be able to get almost as many sales a lot cheaper by localizing and releasing them on the PSN only. Right? I mean surely there's no other reason my pipe dream can't be realized :ohdear:

It is worth pointing out that not a few places have been asking about the business model my little startup uses. :3:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

RentACop posted:

That's why Corpse Party (localized by XSEED) will be PSN only (and only cost 20$)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Regarding Kiseki, god drat but I am never buying anything from Ghostlight again, because everything they touch just seems to either start out as poo poo or turn to it.

Just got my UK copy of Kiseki today and the entire packaging is bust - bent and ripped up box in French, an English-language overlay sticking out the back of the box and flapping around, completely broken apart game and soundtrack cases inside it. It was in a decent enough jiffy bag so unless the driver was absolutely determined to stamp on the parcel repeatedly, it got sent out like this.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Stelas posted:

Just got my UK copy of Kiseki today and the entire packaging is bust - bent and ripped up box in French, an English-language overlay sticking out the back of the box and flapping around, completely broken apart game and soundtrack cases inside it. It was in a decent enough jiffy bag so unless the driver was absolutely determined to stamp on the parcel repeatedly, it got sent out like this.

Well now, that's just a tragedy. :ohdear: The game disc and OST themselves are undamaged, I hope.

Also hope you enjoy Trails~ It really does start out a bit slow but it builds into something pretty unique and enjoyable.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Well now, that's just a tragedy. :ohdear:

The discs are fine! First thing I checked. :) I'm going to transplant it all to an empty case once I can get a spare. The whole thing just baffles me, but Ghostlight haven't exactly got a great running record over here, so it isn't entirely a surprise.

It and Fate/Extra are going to see me through Christmas cover at work, if only because I can't plonk a PS3 on my desk.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
The Trail in the Sky series is special due to the amount of effort Falcom placed in the actual story and characters, which is not something one can say for JRPGs in the past decade. I did not understand the fuss as well until halfway through the game as the characters and the setting kept on growing on me. Even many of the normal town NPCs have their own unique stories and personalities that makes you appreciate their writer's hard work. It's finally paying off too since Ao no Kiseki is selling pretty well and the series now has a hardcore fanbase in Japan, maybe the same can happen in the West one day similar to the Megami Tensei/Persona fandom.

There is also no reason why SC and 3rd cannot both be available for Vita via PSN and not just the PSP, XSEED is probably trying to sort that out with Falcom from an interview I read a while ago.
Fortunately for me I found out that Falcom releases almost all their games in Chinese to the PC market as well, so I was actually able to finish both SC and 3rd(after playing the English PSP version), and now I'm playing Zero. There is literally no reason to play the Trail series if you can't read the dialogue.

XSEED are true fans of the games they translate and I love them for it, I hope Vita will help make their company even more successful.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Healbot posted:

It's not really a sentiment as much as fact outside of Japan.

That's not my point. The PSP itself is dead but it doesn't really matter in context of people saying "it's a shame 'awesome PSP game X' came out now during the twilight of the platform" when there's nothing stopping you from playing that awesome game on the Vita. To me, it's the equivalent of saying "it's a shame this game just came out on the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 4S is about to hit stores." It's a nonsensical statement.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been playing Jeanne d'arc again after starting FF:T, and thinking I should beat Jeanne first otherwise I never will...

I DO love the game. I find the tactics system good and rewarding.

My slight peeve is the time limit on every stage. I'm at the end of chapter 2. I can understand having a time limit to prevent people from just turtling and picking off opponents slowly one by one and healing in between. These last two missions however, I feel I'm racing the clock more than anything and it just isn't as fun.

I guess I should be reevaluating my gear and skills to ensure I'm doing maximum damage.

Another slight peeve, but mostly my fault: I went into the second-last mission with no healing herbs accidentally. I thought I was hosed, but managed to scrape one last glancing blow with Jeanne to finish it. (Never mind how pissed I was at three waves of surprise enemy reinforcements, I can't believe I survived at all.) But then I didn't even get a chance to buy gear, I just got thrown directly into the next mission. I have Liane running as a healer, but I seem to need more sheer damage to get to Talbot.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Yeah. Probably a good idea to get Liane to start doing some damage.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Holy poo poo it's still happening!

Is there any known and constant problem with PSPs just up and shutting themselves off? My brand new, out-of-the-box PSP3000 just cut out on me without warning in the middle of a game, despite having 80+% charge in the battery. This has happened across two different PSPs and two different batteries (one normal, one extended) and I know it's not my fat hand pushing the power button up because I've been paranoid about that since it started.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

bubblegumbo0 posted:

There is also no reason why SC and 3rd cannot both be available for Vita via PSN and not just the PSP, XSEED is probably trying to sort that out with Falcom from an interview I read a while ago.

The problem with that and XSEED localizing Trails in the Sky SC is that the game was released on 2 UMDs and there has been no digital download release of it by Falcom, so unless Falcom and XSEED want to spend way more on a sequel which will probably sell less than FC they're going to have to do with a UMD-only release. Then again, the sales of AnK Japan-side might just give Falcom enough money to throw around, since it sold a lot over there.

Alternatively, XSEED could have gone the PC-version route and they would probably be done with the trilogy by now, but they're taking the long road for whatever reason. I'm sure it's a good one.

Edit:
vvvv Agreed, the next games in the series are probably better than FC, but I remember seeing a few articles about the problems they have to deal with regarding the localization from the recent interviews with Falcom.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 11, 2011

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I still don't get what the big deal is with making a digital version from a dual UMD game. It'll be a shame if the next games don't get released since the first was so charming and yet was mostly just set-up.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009
So, after years of completely ignoring the PSP, I've randomly had the urge to do some research and it turns out there's actually a bunch of games I'm interested in. And it plays a load of great PSOne games! Crazy!

I'm not too fussed about the Vita at this point, since it's not out in the UK for ages and I don't mind waiting for a console to drop in price a bit and build up a decent catalogue before I buy it, so a PSP would tide me over for a while. I figured I'd just focus on buying games from the PSN store so they'll be compatible if I do upgrade, and check out any cheap second-hand UMDs if I fancy a bargain - not much lost if they're only a couple of quid.

Problem is, no-one really seems to be stocking the 3000 model any more, and they're all selling these E1000 things with no wi-fi. The E1000 is also something like £50 to £90 cheaper, depending on the price the 3000's are being sold at. That's $80 to $145 more expensive, for you American folks, which is a bit silly.

Would I be really screwing myself out of any essential functionality if I go the E1000 route? I doubt I'd play the online stuff all that much really, unless there's a killer-app type game out there that really requires it. I'm mostly interested in access to the various RPGs that're available, which I doubt have much in the way of multiplayer. Does anyone here have an E1000 model and care to comment on its build quality? I've read conflicting reports on how good the screen is compared to the 3000, for instance.

Also, I saw a few pages back people mentioning buying a microSD to MS pro duo adaptor and getting a couple of 16 GB micoSD cards as a much cheaper alternative to the 32 GB pro duo cards. Would that be basically mean buying one of these, and a couple of these, or something similar?

Edit: Also! To connect it to my PC, I just need a bog standard USB cable, right?

Adeptus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 11, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Adeptus posted:

Would I be really screwing myself out of any essential functionality if I go the E1000 route? I doubt I'd play the online stuff all that much really, unless there's a killer-app type game out there that really requires it.

You can still find some sellers on Amazon with left over stock. Or ebay is also an option.

You won't be playing anything that will require wi-fi, though. That's not an issue. However you won't have access to the PSN store, which might be a problem in case you don't want only UMD titles.

Adeptus posted:

Also! To connect it to my PC, I just need a bog standard USB cable, right?

Aye. On the 3000 model at least.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 11, 2011

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

You can still find some sellers on Amazon with left over stock. Or ebay is also an option.

You won't be playing anything that will require wi-fi, though. That's not an issue. However you won't have access to the PSN store, which might be a problem in case you don't want only UMD titles.

So you can't just USB it into a computer and access the store through MediaGO (or whatever it's called)? That's pretty ridiculous on Sony's part if it's the case.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Adeptus posted:

So you can't just USB it into a computer and access the store through MediaGO (or whatever it's called)? That's pretty ridiculous on Sony's part if it's the case.

Uh, maybe you can. Sorry. Don't quote on me the part about the store then.

XionPi
May 8, 2006

Adeptus posted:

Media Go has full access to the PSP version of the PSN Store. In fact, it's the preferred method since downloading anything from the store on a PSP takes forever and stays at the download screen until it finishes. You can also download multiple things at once using Media Go. On top of that, it's also a very good way to manage all your games and saves for your PSP.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

bloodychill posted:

I still don't get what the big deal is with making a digital version from a dual UMD game. It'll be a shame if the next games don't get released since the first was so charming and yet was mostly just set-up.

Not sure what you're talking about specifically or if it's unusual, but I got Final Fantasy Type 0 from PSN and it's 2 UMDs. You have to go back to the menu and run the proper disc. So it can be done.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fate/Extra continues to grow on me. The combat doesn't really get all that deep, at least not playing as Saber, but there's some definitely nice, dramatic moments written into the script.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bloodychill posted:

The real big deal is just money. Nobody is really making any on the PSP, so people will find any reason to not work on the system, or if they do bring something to the platform outside of Japan, they'll make sure it's something that will not hurt them much to flop.

Trails in the Sky is a JRPG on a very unpopular (outside of Japan) platform, in a market climate that is almost outright hostile to JRPGs in general for a number of reasons. I was surprised it even got a disc release in the US at all.

With the Vita coming out, the most likely thing that will happen is that we will see almost none of the games people are anticipating get a PSN release outside of the Japanese PSN, while Sony and company promise and fail to deliver on getting more PSP games ready for digital.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Adeptus posted:

Edit: Also! To connect it to my PC, I just need a bog standard USB cable, right?

Not quite bog-standard. You technically need a USB-MiniUSB cable to connect a PSP, as the PSP end takes the Mini. Good news is, if you own a PS3, you already have a proper cable since that's exactly what is used on the PS3 controller as well. If you don't, you can still get the appropriate cable for about two bucks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SpaceDrake posted:

Not quite bog-standard. You technically need a USB-MiniUSB cable to connect a PSP, as the PSP end takes the Mini. Good news is, if you own a PS3, you already have a proper cable since that's exactly what is used on the PS3 controller as well. If you don't, you can still get the appropriate cable for about two bucks.

Your digital camera might also use one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rinkles posted:

Your digital camera might also use one.
As might your average USB hub.

• Locked thread