Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Trap Star posted:

I remember your username along with Anuj who also posts here. Being linked back to those forums after about five years was a serious nostalgia trip. I remember all the little clans/groups that were formed when everyone was hopefuly GTA3 would have multiplayer components. CFM for life baby.
I started my glorious foruming career over there. Back then, a central element of my life was my postcount on those forums. I was actually introduced to SA through the "So I found a digital camera in the woods..." thread. Which was awesome, by the way -- I wonder if that's around here somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

My Lovely Horse posted:

If I've learned one thing from GTA it's never believe your cousin.

My cousin told me if I take him to see big titties he'll tell me how many main characters there will be.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Knightmare posted:

As a former member of GTAForums I can say this is definitely the case.

I had 5 karma stars there at one point yo, forum cred for real.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

This is unreal, I can't even imagine how hard this is to run.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Rookersh posted:

Everyone should play Ballad, because it showcases the fact Rockstar did hear people complaining about GTA IV being a bit to depressing/realistic, and attempted to merge the silly/realism a bit, especially in the last mission, and while it could have been handled a little bit better, it was still probably one of my favorite things. "Yo Yusuf, now is not the time, I got to race to the airport to stop this crazy Russian gently caress, as if he leaves the country, me and Tony are hosed. Why am I telling you this?" "LUIZ, MY friend of the family, YUSUF DOES NOT LEAVE HIS HOMIES HANGING!" :allears:

That single moment was probably my favorite one in the entire GTA saga, simply because I had lost all faith in Rockstar, and then suddenly Gold Plated Apache starts doing strafing runs in front of me, while Yusuf yells out crazy poo poo at people. It went even better since I had the cops on me, and it was pitch black at night, and suddenly Helicopter starts blasting the cops. It was such a "Rockstar you glorious bastards" moment.

Yusuf was great, he is voiced by British-Iranian comedian Omid Djalili http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjAaUaRMkL8&feature=related (he's putting the accent on, he actually has a very english accent)

MZ fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 10, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MZ posted:

Yusuf was great, he is voiced by British-Iranian comedian Omid Djalili http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjAaUaRMkL8&feature=related (he's putting the accent on, he actually has a very english accent)

Holy hell drat, why did I not notice this?!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
True or not, it's fun to think about some of those ideas. For the most part they seem pretty pedestrian anyway.

I mean, ocean or infinite desert or whatever, who cares, it's the edge of the map where you'll never go. Whether it's an infinite something or if they literally put a giant wall on the edge that says GAME OVER, that leak is pretty meaningless.

I did hope that we might see the Mexican border, so I hope that one is true. However, I hoped that it would be an RDR scenario where you cross the border to do stuff, not just an endless desert (which sounds fake to me). Although they probably wouldn't parrot RDR that closely in structure... but I'd love to see those canyons and mesas with some car chases in them.

Likewise, seasons/snow I've been hoping for with every game since 3. Would like to see that, or at least an area that has snow up in the mountains or something like RDR's Tall Trees. Some of the best atmospheric moments in GTA4 are gunfights in the rain, imagine a motorcycle chase/foot chase through a snowy wooded road at night.

Mountains seem confirmed from the trailer, so that's a pretty safe bet on that guy's part if he's making it up. Obviously people loved Chiliad from SA, why not bring back all the opportunities a mountain has - driving off high places, races up/down, a mountain stream (speedboat chase up mountain? yes please haha).

And while I'm rambling, they gotta have deserts around the LA area regardless, seems reasonable to use a desert mountain range as a natural boundary. I would love to see a modern take on SA's Area 51 also. Basically, since you're going back to SA, go full SA. Liberty City just didn't have enough environment variety for me.

Edit: Sorry, I spose I should spoil these.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 10, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mafia 2 is a deeply flawed game (for a very big part due to executive meddling) but if you can get it cheap it is worth playing for the winter effects alone.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
It's all speculation at this point, yeah these 'leaks' are fun, but the info is no more valid than any one of us making poo poo up on the spot so take it with a giant bucket of salt.

If they really were a beta tester, not only would they lose their job but they could be taken to court for damages. Nobody wants that poo poo for forumz kred, an NDA is a legally binding document.

I used to work for Sega as a tester and they basically got it into us that "we will find out if you leak, trust us" all 1984 style, so yeah nobody dared try...

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I have a friend who works in QA for Rockstar North, and she had to remove her "employer" on Facebook because people were trying to hack her email accounts.

Also, she refuses to talk about work at all - a good thing, given how seriously they take security at these companies.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Otik posted:

I have a friend who works in QA for Rockstar North, and she had to remove her "employer" on Facebook because people were trying to hack her email accounts.

Also, she refuses to talk about work at all - a good thing, given how seriously they take security at these companies.

But... But think of all the forum cred!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

BrandonGK posted:

I wonder if reg dates still give you forum cred. I've got an account from 2002 on there, perhaps I should post a leak?

- You are able to open your trunk and transport items, this was planned for GTA:SA, but technology at the time wasn't able to do this. See below for an SA screenshot of this feature.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
What happens when you inevitably roll the car and it explodes everything in the boot?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

MZ posted:

It's all speculation at this point, yeah these 'leaks' are fun, but the info is no more valid than any one of us making poo poo up on the spot so take it with a giant bucket of salt.

I've been thinking about posting an "I'm currently beta testing GTAV, AMA" thread on reddit and filling it with rubbish speculation, but :effort:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

simosimo posted:

I wonder if reg dates still give you forum cred. I've got an account from 2002 on there, perhaps I should post a leak?

- You are able to open your trunk and transport items, this was planned for GTA:SA, but technology at the time wasn't able to do this. See below for an SA screenshot of this feature.

Apparently OXM reported that Niko actually had the option to open trunks in the demo that they played. Who knows if they were just doing "Have a Heart" or something like that.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

The Deadly Hume posted:

What happens when you inevitably roll the car and it explodes everything in the boot?

When you collect 50 glowing sasquatches, it will make the boot of every car obsidian-encrusted, so your valuables will be safe after a car explosion

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Timeless Appeal posted:

Apparently OXM reported that Niko actually had the option to open trunks in the demo that they played. Who knows if they were just doing "Have a Heart" or something like that.

True Crime: NY had the ability to use trunks for storing guns, or searching trunks for evidence in street crime mode. Dropping nuggets like this on GTAForums would incite such hilarious rage.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

BrandonGK posted:

One of my brothers is also friends with a level designer there.

Internet cred doesn't earn you as much money as a job. Or for that matter, a career. All I'm saying is that the people who know anything worth leaking have way too much to lose to actually do it.

EDIT: Funnily enough, I work for Nokia. We're familiar with the phone left in a bar problem - and we're leakier than a sieve.

Otik fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 10, 2011

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Otik posted:

One of my brothers is also friends with a level designer there.

Internet cred doesn't earn you as much money as a job. Or for that matter, a career. All I'm saying is that the people who know anything worth leaking have way too much to lose to actually do it.

Yeah but a lot of these guys are young and pretty stupid apart from their artistic or programming ability. Rockstar probably hires slightly more competent people to do their work, but seeing leaks for real on various games absolutely would not surprise me.
All it takes is one guy getting drunk and forgetting his cellphone in a bar.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Knightmare posted:

True Crime: NY had the ability to use trunks for storing guns, or searching trunks for evidence in street crime mode. Dropping nuggets like this on GTAForums would incite such hilarious rage.

You could get a shotgun/machine gun from the back of squad cars in LA Noire.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have faith that Rockstars going to make an awesome game, but the only thing I really want is the ability to choose your own paint when you go to a Pay n' Spray. Sometimes it would take too long to get the black on black color scheme in the Sultan RS, depending on what color you started with. (The paint colors cycle, they arent random)

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Cage posted:

I have faith that Rockstars going to make an awesome game, but the only thing I really want is the ability to choose your own paint when you go to a Pay n' Spray. Sometimes it would take too long to get the black on black color scheme in the Sultan RS, depending on what color you started with. (The paint colors cycle, they arent random)

You know you're only going to end up with the car on its roof and on fire within about 3 minutes of choosing that new colour, right?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ChuckDHead posted:

You know you're only going to end up with the car on its roof and on fire within about 3 minutes of choosing that new colour, right?
Its for multiplayer that I most want that feature. Playing team mafiya work there are a few missions with rare cars that you can drive, Im pretty good so I can make a car last a long time online.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

ChuckDHead posted:

Yea, but for those 3 minutes you get a pretty bitchin' car!

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
GTAForums isn't so bad after all:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=492498&st=0

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FetusOvaries posted:

GTAForums isn't so bad after all:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=492498&st=0

That, uhh, actually makes sense. Is there something obvious I am missing?

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

That, uhh, actually makes sense. Is there something obvious I am missing?

He wasn't being ironic.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I loved the open feel of SA, the go anywhere do anything thing, the cruising around the countryside, the taking a boat trip, the wondering around a misty forest at night, all of SA.

Then IV came out and you're stuck in one city with giant concrete walls on all sides. IV just felt so claustrophobic. I said, they should just remake SA on the PS3.

And goddamn, if they're remaking SA on the PS3. This is going to be game of the year all over again.

I'm still waiting for FF7 on the PS3, it would be like printing money.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I just remembered something I really want in V that was missing in IV: the ability to get out and push a car over if it's rolled on the roof. If it's on the side, you could almost always save it by using gas/reverse and the steering, but if it rolled all the way over you pretty much lost the car unless you could push it over with another car without damaging it too much.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
If 5 doesn't have bicycles I am going to have to really think hard on whether or not I will buy it day 1. They better bring back bikes.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
If only they put in character and vehicle customisation. Videogaming will not have come of age until the advent of the fat middle-aged female protagonist on a souped up lowrider Segway with integrated flamethrower.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Underflow posted:

If only they put in character and vehicle customisation. Videogaming will not have come of age until the advent of the fat middle-aged female protagonist on a souped up lowrider Segway with integrated flamethrower.

You know, there's another franchise you might want to look into...

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ak Gara posted:

I loved the open feel of SA, the go anywhere do anything thing, the cruising around the countryside, the taking a boat trip, the wondering around a misty forest at night, all of SA.

Then IV came out and you're stuck in one city with giant concrete walls on all sides. IV just felt so claustrophobic. I said, they should just remake SA on the PS3.

And goddamn, if they're remaking SA on the PS3. This is going to be game of the year all over again.

I'm still waiting for FF7 on the PS3, it would be like printing money.

I honestly wouldn't mind mediocre graphics in exchange for a much greater scale. As previously mentioned, San Andreas looked like rear end compared to Half-Life 2 and Resident Evil 4 (which came out around the same time) but it made up for it in size and variety.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

You know, there's another franchise you might want to look into...

If they are going to implement car customization in V than they really need to implement a car saving system like Saints Row. One of the most frustrating things in SA was spending hundreds of dollars tricking out a car only to have blow up after five minutes on the freeway with no way to get it back.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

or make it so you can go steal a tow truck and take that wreckage to a paint n spray or something to get it fixed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I just hope that anal Flying School doesn't return with V.

"Oh 66%? get the gently caress back in the cockpit boy..."

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

0 rows returned posted:

or make it so you can go steal a tow truck and take that wreckage to a paint n spray or something to get it fixed.

That's not going to help me when my favorite cars keep ending up at the bottom of the bay.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Zedd posted:

Mafia 2 is a deeply flawed game (for a very big part due to executive meddling) but if you can get it cheap it is worth playing for the winter effects alone.

Definitely agree, it's a great looking game overall. The city as a sandbox is loving awful but the story is very good and it's the best game to play in order to feel like you're in a mob movie for sure, it's even got a prison section too! Voice acting was good too I felt even if the characters were a little weak.

All the weather effects are great but especially the snow, the way it piles up on the roofs of parked cars and flies off when you drive away is cool. TBH Mafia II is the first game I've played since Max Payne 2 where I'd spend time trying to make sure I'd done every interactive thing possible before moving on.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Cray posted:

*and another ambient/minimalist station, please.

Yes yes yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

If 5 doesn't have bicycles I am going to have to really think hard on whether or not I will buy it day 1. They better bring back bikes.

Agreed. Biking was just the right speed to really explore the city. Also need to be able to listen to the radio stations while biking. I would probably spend a ton of time just slowly exploring and listening to the radio n

• Locked thread