Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's pretty intense, I'm glad your gear held up as well as it did and that you're both OK.

It's amazing what you can walk away from if you've got good gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Raven457 posted:

Guess it was my turn...

Hit a deer @ approx 70mph while two up with the wife onboard

Glad you and your wife made it through this ok :ohdear:. Bikes can be replaced, smashing a deer at 70mph and coming out essentially unscathed is amazing.

I loving HATE deer. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE. While stupid drivers in cars can be somewhat unpredictable, nothing comes close to how loving retarded deer are. I know I know, never overdrive your lights etc... but even when it's light out having something materialize out of a bush/trees/whatever and zip across the road at 30mph is always a shock. There's just not much you can do other than slow down and that still may not give you enough reaction time.

Iowa is loving lousy with deer. Even though we still have some good riding weather left for the year (although that's disappearing quickly :( ) I always hate riding during this period around the rut. Deer are dumb to begin with, throw the rut into the works and they get completely loving retarded.

I've had some close run-ins with deer in the past but have managed to stay upright so far. I actually had one sprint across the road, I couldn't get woah'd down fast enough so I shot for the paved shoulder. The deer's head (thank god it wasn't a buck!) actually bounced off my boot. I had tufts of hair stuck in my boot, pants, saddlebag, and passenger pegs. Interestingly enough i had a camera on me at the time and got this lovely picture of the incident:

gently caress DEER. SERIOUSLY.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Do any of those deer whistle things on the bike do anything?

I know from experience that headlights generally tend to make them freeze, but loud noises make them run, so it seems like some high pitched screeching might be helpful.

My only close run in with wildlife as the driver was a near miss at night in Jasper (Canadian mountain country) with a couple of elk. They managed to time their crossing between me and the guy in front of me, and I just barely missed them. On a bike it would have been terrifying.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Goddamn, that's about the best way to have a major crash. :aaa: So glad you two ended up with only minor rashes/bruises.

I never really had an opinion on deer, but now I do. gently caress deer.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Rats with hooves that get on the road. Our town opened up bow hunting in certain areas to bring the numbers down. It's worked a bit, but people with more feeling than thought love the little things. I found out a week ago the reason there's a family in my yard every night is that my neighbor is feeding them :ughh:

Can I sue her when I hit one? It's to the point now where they come out during the day and it's a bit ridiculous. I had two in my yard when I took the bike out a few days ago at around 1 p.m., and coming back later they were still hanging around in my neighbors yard.

gently caress deer.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Be glad you mostly only have deer to deal with. In Sweden and Norway our forests are teeming with the Majestik Møøse. Their spindly legs and weighty body make them the perfect killing machine. The legs offer little resistance to the front of the car, allowing the body to slam through the windscreen and straight in to the occupant.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I have a family friend in Alaska who is a cop. His stories of what happens to the human body as a moose enters the cabin at 60mph makes me happy I live in Seattle. Gross.

Also, glad you are both OK!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Forty Two posted:

Be glad you mostly only have deer to deal with. In Sweden and Norway our forests are teeming with the Majestik Møøse. Their spindly legs and weighty body make them the perfect killing machine. The legs offer little resistance to the front of the car, allowing the body to slam through the windscreen and straight in to the occupant.

Saab has a "moose crash test" for their cars. True story.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Xovaan posted:

Because of this, Saab just moved up in the list to consider for my next car. Nova Scotia and especially New Brunswick have lots of woods and by association lots of moose and deer, I've actually almost hit two moose in New Brunswick and a handful of deer here in NS. Never hit one, yet.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
http://ravensys.net/stuff/st13wreck/

gear pics start at IMG_0067.JPG, and they go up to 0088
the other pics are what's left of the bike

We are heading over to Enterprise to get our rental car, then heading to Talimena. gently caress that deer, I'm on vacation, bitches.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Deer are nature's suicide bombers. Glad you escaped the terror attack unscathed.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Raven457 posted:

We are heading over to Enterprise to get our rental car, then heading to Talimena. gently caress that deer, I'm on vacation, bitches.

Glad you and the wife are ok, sorry about the bike, way to have the right attitude! :cheers:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Probably Hates You posted:

EDIT: Just heard back from insurance. I had liability, his insurance lapsed and he didn't have coverage when he hit me.

Anecdotally, if someone manages to hit you, chances seem to be they don't have valid insurance. Possibly because they keep running people over and can't afford the premiums, possibly because assholes who aren't responsible enough to be insured are the same assholes who don't care if they kill you with their irresponsible driving. Case in point.

Of the three rear enders I had in the US(!), two ended up being on my insurance for that reason and the third I got lucky because it was a kid driving his dad's SUV.

Raven457, I hope you at least went back and picked up the deer. Venison steaks all round! :cheers:

Forty Two You appear to be sadly misinformed. Thanks to the sterling efforts of the the Algverket with diaresis, all Swedish deer are required to take a car awareness course in high school and wear safety tabards at all times when operating near roads. Don't believe the vile propaganda of the Sweden Democrats about swarthy refugee Meese from across the border!

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Xovaan posted:

So does Volvo and I just got these sweet decals for my c30

the link to get your own is here so you can save yourself a google search when your prancing moose lust takes over.

edit: looks like he makes prancing moose Saab decals too :cheers:

schreibs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 4, 2011

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

schreibs posted:

So does Volvo and I just got these sweet decals for my c30

the link to get your own is here so you can save yourself a google search when your prancing moose lust takes over.

edit: looks like he makes prancing moose Saab decals too :cheers:

Haha, I know all about Barton. I used to live by him. ;) (and I had a 16vt '75 240!)

I kinda wanna get a Ferrari and re-badge it with those stickers.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Deer are utter cunts. I will go to my grave hating nothing more in life than loving deer. Useless, disgusting, noisy cunts. I do my best every year to thin the population.

There is one guy I know that carries a rifle in his truck and his tractors and kills every single one he encounters on his farm (as did his father and as does his sons and all his brothers as well). He even has a wall in his garage where he marks the kills fighter-pilot style. I think at this point he's up to 860-something. In his words "Deer are the most useless animal around here and gently caress the DNR if they think they are going to stop me slaughtering every single one of those loving bastards." I love that man.

And they're delicious eating too, so that helps.

Louis CK shares my opinion on deer (though having lived with them in the yard at my parent's house, I've never liked them in any capacity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL9xCWphV8s

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 6, 2011

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
Might have to rethink my policy about lending bikes out:

Let my friend borrow my GSXR yesterday and he crashed it going through a roundabout. Pretty sure the bike is written off - left engine casing is cracked and oil was everywhere. Nose is mangled, one of the levers broke off and the fairings are everywhere. Front end doesn't look bent, but we'll see what the assessor says.

Luckily my mate alright (was wearing gear) and insurance will cover the bike, but I'm still a little weepy :( It was my dream bike for 3 years and after 10 months of ownership it's gone :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kyon posted:

Let my friend borrow my GSXR yesterday and he crashed it going through a roundabout. Pretty sure the bike is written off - left engine casing is cracked and oil was everywhere. Nose is mangled, one of the levers broke off and the fairings are everywhere. Front end doesn't look bent, but we'll see what the assessor says but I don't have much hope.

Luckily my mate alright and insurance will cover the bike, but I'm still a little weepy :( It was my dream bike for 3 years and after 10 months of ownership it's gone :(

Sorry to hear that, glad it's all being sorted and your buddy is alright, looks pretty bad.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Kyon posted:

That's done, trust me. :(

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

Kyon posted:

That sucks man, that's a beautiful bike. Good that your friend's all right. You going to punch him now or when he least expects it?

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
Thanks guys. Horrible timing as well, had a couple of track days booked next month and it's almost summer time over here. I bought the bike in autumn so it's never seen summer (not with me anyway)

I never even got the chance to track it :saddowns:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If its toast, buy it back as salvage, turn it into a track bike or streetfighter! Then buy something else cool with the rest of the money. Bike has a tip over sensor so its unlikely damage was done to the engine.

Sorry that your bike got wadded but you can totally make lemonade out of this lemon :)

Edit: if nothing is bent that'd only be a hundred or 2 in parts to get it rideable and 700-1000 to get it back to pristine with used OEM fairings or a complete chinese kit.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 11, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If the left hand case is cracked there's good chance the crank could've taken a hit.

Z3n posted:

Edit: if nothing is bent that'd only be a hundred or 2 in parts to get it rideable and 700-1000 to get it back to pristine with used OEM fairings or a complete chinese kit.

$200 to fix it up? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahno, not in Australia. Plus, you can't register write-offs in NSW anymore. So trackbike or off for scrap.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
So are replacement engine casings really cheap or something?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Z3n, just buy it, get it shipped and part it out. We know that's what you want, jeez louise.

In all seriousness, seriously, that looks hosed beyond the power of Chinanumberoneplastic (678) to fix. If I were him and given that it's a new GSX-R, not one of my ropey old 90s roadbikes, I'd take a nice new bike courtesy of my insurer.

Don't know how it works in the magical land of Aus., but over here you can get paid out very quickly these days if you get it to your local Suzook dealer and keep hassling them to get the assesser out to you. Might still be able to get those trackdays!

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
Turning it into a track bike is very much a possibility - but I'll have to wait for an assessor to come by and tell me how it is before I make that decision.

When I had my last bike stolen it took almost a month for my insurance company to pay me out, this time I'll have to wait for an assessor to come by as well. Fingers crossed that it'll all be sorted by early December, but otherwise I can probably sell my track day places to someone else.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

M4rg4r1ne posted:

I don't know about casings on newer bikes, but the casings for my FZR cost around $100-150 IIRC.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Used you can get them for about 40-60$ in not perfect condition. At least out here. I still have a cheap good condition right side Gsxr cover somewhere...and a complete engine. Haha.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

If the left hand case is cracked there's good chance the crank could've taken a hit.

$200 to fix it up? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahno, not in Australia. Plus, you can't register write-offs in NSW anymore. So trackbike or off for scrap.

Usually the crank is ok in crashes like that. If it didn't thrash the rest of the bike much it should be ok.

Bonus now he can sell the street stuff for race fairings!

Sucks that you guys can't reg total losses :(

I'd like to see more pics though!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Just a quick update:

Progressive has been amazing through this entire process. They gave me a fair price based on KBB value for the bike and covered $3,000 worth of riding gear and aftermarket accessories combined (their bike policy only covers up to $3,000, so no argument from me there). We live in Austin, wrecked in Tyler on a Tuesday night, had the bike stored in Longview, and continued on to Mena Arkansas on Wednesday where we had intermittent cellphone coverage until returning to Austin late Sunday night. Even with these challenges, a Progressive agent was at my door in Austin on Monday morning... with a check in hand.

I could not believe it - after the run around we'd previously received from State Farm when my wife's car was hit, I was expecting this to be a long drawn out process. On top of all that, every person I spoke with at Progressive seemed genuinely concerned about our well being, and offered to help with things I hadn't even thought about. My policy included medical payment coverage, and they not only reminded me of that fact, they set things up so that if we needed it later, it would be already ready for us to use. Here was an insurance company reminding me that they were willing to pay more to help me out - talk about a pleasant surprise!

We have a little bit of residual pain here and there from the wreck, but still nothing serious or requiring a doctor's care. My left ankle is a bit sore, as are my right wrist and right shoulder, she still has some tenderness in her chest if she sneezes or coughs really hard. We were lucky, yes, but to be in this good of shape nine days after such a serious accident is a testament to the merits of being geared for the slide, and neither of us are complaining.

After talking about the wreck and how lucky we were to literally walk away from this, we are both of the conclusion that motorcycling isn't something either of us is ready to give up at this point. My wife isn't sure how soon she'll be ready for longer trips or riding at night again, but she wants to get back on. While I had some initial jitters the first couple of days afterwards (see the Getting back on the horse thread), I feel like I am ready to go again. With that in mind, I put in an order yesterday to replace our gear.

We also have talked about where we go from here, at least, as far as bikes are concerned. Our budget and financial plans are keeping a Wing or a Concourse 14 out of the question for a while longer, and there's not really anything else on the market or that we can afford that comes close to what we enjoyed about our 03... so our hunt for a replacement ST has started.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

Sucks that you guys can't reg total losses :(

Would indeed suck if it was true. There's apparently still options if the "Applicant was the registered operator for more than 28 days before damage occurred".

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/written_off_vehicles/written-off_vehicles_reforms.html

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Just to pipe in with my own experiences as well, Progressive is the best insurance company I've ever dealt with my miles and miles. They're mysteriously way cheaper for me than anywhere else too, but I'd probably be willing to pay more just to keep their amazing customer service.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
While I haven't had to deal with a bike wreck with them, Geico has also done me right every time, quickly and painlessly. Between them and Progressive I hear nothing but good things. Most stories of the more old-school insurance places (State Farm, USAA) sound like poo poo shows.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009

Raven457 posted:

Austin

If you're around San Antonio and want something to putz around on a see how it feels, my DRZ is available.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Empire Waffles posted:

If you're around San Antonio and want something to putz around on a see how it feels, my DRZ is available.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I'm oncall next week, but if I head south any time soon I'll give you a yell.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sir Cornelius posted:

Would indeed suck if it was true. There's apparently still options if the "Applicant was the registered operator for more than 28 days before damage occurred".

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/written_off_vehicles/written-off_vehicles_reforms.html

Didn't know they brought that exemption in. Last I'd heard about it was that all write-offs would be statutory and unable to be re-reg'd.

K.Y. Jelly Donut
Jan 2, 2009
Well, thanks to you lot and your pictures of damaged gear I just popped out and picked up a full face helmet and a pair of riding boots. Going for a long (for me anyway) ride tomorrow and was freaking myself out. $350 bucks later, this poo poo better save my life.

On the ride home I noticed the instep section of my new boots is pretty slick, feels loose on the pegs. Any reason I shouldn't get some skateboard grip tape or just scuff it up or something? Feels a little sketchy to me as it is right now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

K.Y. Jelly Donut posted:

On the ride home I noticed the instep section of my new boots is pretty slick, feels loose on the pegs. Any reason I shouldn't get some skateboard grip tape or just scuff it up or something? Feels a little sketchy to me as it is right now.

This shouldn't be an issue but ideally you do not want to be resting the instep on the peg. Your feet should be further back on the pegs, people usually recommend riding with the ball of your foot on the pegs.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You also run the risk of catching your foot on the ground in a turn if you're resting your insteps on the peg, since your toes are presumably hanging down lower.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why?

It's more comfortable for me to ride with my instep on the pegs, and aside from warnings about boots getting dragged under the bike during turning, I don't see what the issue is.

On the only bike I ride where that is an issue, I just switch the the ball of my foot right before the turn. The other bikes scrape the feelers on the pegs long before my boot gets close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

nsaP posted:

Why?

Personally it is more comfortable. I also feel like I have better more precise control for weighting the pegs. If you ride off-road it helps absorb shocks. Then the usual boot getting stuck thing.

• Locked thread