Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for a cheese or cream sauce for some pasta? I have some tortellini and ravioli that I need to use up (one of them at least), and I'd love to eat something rich and delicious tonight! I was thinking just some milk, a little butter, cheddar cheese and some nutmeg, then flour to thicken up?... no idea really!

You did this with the right ingredients, but backwards:

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium low heat, add 1 tablespoon of flour, whisk them together and cook for a couple of minutes. Add a bit of milk, let cook for a minute while you keep stirring gently - make sure you don't let anything stick to the bottom and burn. It will thicken up. Add more milk slowly until you have about 2 cups in the pot, stirring all the time. When all the milk is in there and it begins to thicken up a bit, start to stir in the cheese a little bit at a time, waiting until the cheese is completely melted before adding in the next portion. From start to finish, the sauce should be on the heat for about 15-20 minutes to ensure all the raw flour taste is cooked out, the milk thickens up, and the cheese sauce comes together smoothly. Nutmeg at the end if you are into that sort of thing, but I personally feel that would be kind of gross in cheddar cheese.

By the way the thing you are making is a mornay sauce.

Appl fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Thanks for the quick response! What cheese would you recommend for a mornay sauce? Quick google says gruyere and parm mixed together? Makes sense about the ingredients backwards, I hosed up last time and did something to the cheese that made it realllllly thick. Too hot for too long maybe?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm thawing out a package of gravad lax. Probably just going to eat it on crackers, maybe with a little goat cheese, but I was wondering if anyone had a brilliant and/or awesome idea for what to do with it. The only thing that came right to mind was lox and eggs, but I'm not really in the mood for eggs.

Any thoughts?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

Thanks for the quick response! What cheese would you recommend for a mornay sauce? Quick google says gruyere and parm mixed together? Makes sense about the ingredients backwards, I hosed up last time and did something to the cheese that made it realllllly thick. Too hot for too long maybe?

Maybe, you don't want it to get too hot and have the milk scald. You can always add more milk to thin it out - just add it slowly.

If you're open to other cheeses then you can just take some butter, add some cream, and then melt parmesan into it, no need for the flour. That's alfredo sauce.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

I'm thawing out a package of gravad lax. Probably just going to eat it on crackers, maybe with a little goat cheese, but I was wondering if anyone had a brilliant and/or awesome idea for what to do with it. The only thing that came right to mind was lox and eggs, but I'm not really in the mood for eggs.

Any thoughts?

Cram it into your face with both hands as fast as possible? Seriously one of my favorite foods, but I just eat it straight like a fool.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Appl posted:

Maybe, you don't want it to get too hot and have the milk scald. You can always add more milk to thin it out - just add it slowly.

If you're open to other cheeses then you can just take some butter, add some cream, and then melt parmesan into it, no need for the flour. That's alfredo sauce.

Yeah whatever tastes really good, it's freezing where I live and I had a long day working, I have to clean my pool which means getting even more cold and grumpy (first world problems). Really good rich cheese sauce is all I want, difficulty in making or time required does not turn me off. I would normally do carbonara but I'm not in the mood for bacon

...something must be wrong with me

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

Really good rich cheese sauce is all I want

Yep - do this thing from silver spoon.

1/4 cup butter
1 cup parmesan cheese (actual parmesan cheese, no kraft flakes)
4 tablespoons heavy cream
salt & pepper

Low heat - butter, cream, slowly added cheese.

Put on pasta, problem solved.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Banging thanks! I have some really good parm I've been dying to use in my fridge for a while, perfect

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Chard posted:

Cram it into your face with both hands as fast as possible? Seriously one of my favorite foods, but I just eat it straight like a fool.

It's a small package, I could probably get all of it in my mouth at once.

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bo-Pepper posted:

Where would you recommend someone go in Vegas? We will likely do one night where we'll drop some real money with another night to someplace hopefully less costly but still great. We have no compunction against leaving the strip.

Lotus of Siam is a good suggestion, there's also a fantastic little Thai place in Chinatown called Thai Style Noodle House. It's not expensive at all and godly good.

There's a sushi place I love called Blue Fin, it's on Sunset road just before Green Valley. It was the best I had anywhere in the city, not expensive, and the chefs are friendly and good. They have a nice all you can eat for an hour deal, get that and let them decide what to serve and you'll be good to go. Make sure you get the fried shrimp heads if you get sweet shrimp, it's the best part. The tempura softshell crabs are ridiculous too. Also if you go a little further on Sunset, the road will split with one curving off and going downhill to the right (toward Sunset Station), and the other going left, back north. Take that left and go into the shopping center right there at the corner, there's a place called Kathy's Southern Kitchen that has insanely good southern food. Fried chicken, greens with plenty of pot liquor, cornbread, catfish, gumbo... it's the poo poo.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I've found a really nice egg bread recipe that I've been making a lot of lately, and while I love the bread itself, I can't seem to stop this from happening every drat time.

Any ideas on how I could stop this from happening, or am I doomed to a life of oddly-shaped sandwiches? I figured slashing the dough would prevent mishaps like this, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, as evidenced in the photo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doesnt look like oyu're shaping right. Are you rolling it out, folding in thirds and laying the seam on the bottom? That seems to make the best looking loaves for me.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Casu Marzu posted:

Doesnt look like oyu're shaping right. Are you rolling it out, folding in thirds and laying the seam on the bottom? That seems to make the best looking loaves for me.

Hmmm, no actually. I've just been shaping the dough into a log, putting the raggedy seam side (if there is one) down, and pressing it into the loaf pan. I assumed the second rise would get rid of any pockets or inconsistencies if they were on the bottom of the loaf. I guess I was wrong, huh?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Edit: instead of trying to describe it, here is a video that is just about what my technique is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3zBaKkxMY

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Abobo posted:

Hmmm, no actually. I've just been shaping the dough into a log, putting the raggedy seam side (if there is one) down, and pressing it into the loaf pan. I assumed the second rise would get rid of any pockets or inconsistencies if they were on the bottom of the loaf. I guess I was wrong, huh?

Also there is tearing, which is normally caused by not doing a long enough second proof and consequently the oven spring is too much and tears the loaf.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My bread is coming out very chewy and wet. My first thought was just to take it out of the pot (doing no-knead) and let it bake on the rack longer, but even if I bake it just to the edge of the crust burning to hell, it's still damp inside and really tough. Any idea why?

Bread is my goddamn nemesis.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Appl posted:

Yep - do this thing from silver spoon.

1/4 cup butter
1 cup parmesan cheese (actual parmesan cheese, no kraft flakes)
4 tablespoons heavy cream
salt & pepper

Low heat - butter, cream, slowly added cheese.

Put on pasta, problem solved.

Was Really Good, used a mixture of gruyere and parm, and some milk mixed in with the cream to make more of it. Thanks!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Grand Fromage posted:

My bread is coming out very chewy and wet. My first thought was just to take it out of the pot (doing no-knead) and let it bake on the rack longer, but even if I bake it just to the edge of the crust burning to hell, it's still damp inside and really tough. Any idea why?

Bread is my goddamn nemesis.

Sounds like its undercooked in the middle. Your oven temp might be a little too high for the recipe and it's burning the outside before finishing inside, or your loaf might just be too big.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Enentol posted:

Sounds like its undercooked in the middle. Your oven temp might be a little too high for the recipe and it's burning the outside before finishing inside, or your loaf might just be too big.

It's the temperature and size the recipe calls for. But all I have is a toaster oven, not a real oven, so that could mess with it. Maybe lowering the temperature and cooking longer would be a good idea. I'm doing it at 450 for 30 minutes in a covered pot, then uncovering it and baking another ten, then this time I took it out and sat it completely unprotected on the rack for 15 or so. That was as far as I could go before burning. Thoughts on how to adjust this?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Toaster ovens mess with cooking times on sensitive stuff like bread because they're so close to the coil. Try a smaller loaf, lower temp, or real oven.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like turtles posted:

Toaster ovens mess with cooking times on sensitive stuff like bread because they're so close to the coil. Try a smaller loaf, lower temp, or real oven.

Real oven's not an option in Asia, I'll give a lower temp a try first. How much longer should I leave it in if I'm at say, 350? Is there a good test? I do the knock thing and my loaves always sound done, but obviously aren't.

Thermometers are also expensive as all hell here, I can't afford it.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also there is tearing, which is normally caused by not doing a long enough second proof and consequently the oven spring is too much and tears the loaf.

Ahh, ok. The recipe rises quite quickly: about an hour and a half to more than double it's size on the first rise. I was doing about an hour for the second rise, should I lengthen that? Should the second rise be longer than the first? I always thought it was supposed to be shorter, but in retrospect, I don't know why I think that. :(

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just wondering still if there has been a Buffalo Wing thread created- I want to make one!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Happy Abobo posted:

Ahh, ok. The recipe rises quite quickly: about an hour and a half to more than double it's size on the first rise. I was doing about an hour for the second rise, should I lengthen that? Should the second rise be longer than the first? I always thought it was supposed to be shorter, but in retrospect, I don't know why I think that. :(

I don't go by a set time for rises, I judge off of volume. The second should double as much as the first. It's usually a shorter period, but doesn't necessarily end up that way.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I have various potlucks and house parties to cook for this season, and I'm trying to venture a little further out than my usual lazy contributions. In the past if I'm short on time I just make pao quijo (Brazilian cheese-bread puffs) from a mix, sometimes make half the batch spicy with some Korean or Sichuan condiments in the batter. Alternately, deviled eggs with Indian achar (spicy pickled fruit, lime is the best) in the stuffing. For deserts, if I'm being lazy I'll just make dark chocolate brownies from a mix, but stir in a ribbon of sweetened condensed milk, cherries soaked in port, or whichever; the single best way to get coworkers to love my brownies has been, lazily and sadly, to dump half a pint of booze onto them in the last couple minutes of cooking.

For tonight's housewarming for a friend, I made Texas caviar: blackeyed peas with diced vegetables and oil/vinegar/spices marinade. Did some plum tomato, tomatillos, orange bell pepper, yellow wax pepper, garlic (slightly sauteed to make it less pungent), capers for salty pop, and some mezcal.

For the Thanksgiving potluck, I want to do a side dish I did once before that turned out pretty good but could have been better: lavash (Armenian flatbread) rolls filled with Neufchatel cream cheese, whole-fruit cranberry sauce, and carmelised onion. The lavash didn't roll as smoothly as I liked before cutting into spirals, so I'll read up on that. But does anyone have any suggestion as to how to modify the above to make it just a little tastier? Maybe some Angostura bitters on the cranberries, or maybe butter vice olive oil to carmelise the onions in? Some kind of seasoning blended into the cheese?

(some meat lavash roll finger food as an example)

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I have three whole chicken breasts thawed, and no idea what kind of seasoning to put on them. Anyone have an easy recipe with common ingredients for baking in an oven? I'd really appreciate it, especially if it's super easy since I am pretty poo poo at cooking. Side is just some steamed vegetables.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Luminous Cow posted:

I have three whole chicken breasts thawed, and no idea what kind of seasoning to put on them. Anyone have an easy recipe with common ingredients for baking in an oven? I'd really appreciate it, especially if it's super easy since I am pretty poo poo at cooking. Side is just some steamed vegetables.

If you're super lazy and also have a cache of junk food, just pour some salsa over top and throw them on a baking sheet into the oven. 400 degrees, until done. Probably about 20 minutes.

If they have the skin still, sear them in a pan first to get it all crispy, and then toss them in the oven. It'll cut down on cooking time as well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Enentol posted:

If you're super lazy and also have a cache of junk food, just pour some salsa over top and throw them on a baking sheet into the oven. 400 degrees, until done. Probably about 20 minutes.

If they have the skin still, sear them in a pan first to get it all crispy, and then toss them in the oven. It'll cut down on cooking time as well.

:catstare:

If you sear the skin then cover it with salsa, it's not gonna stay crispy buddy.

Anyway, butterfly them, dredge them in some flour seasoned with salt, pepper, some cayenne, and then sear it off in a pan, then toss in a 400F oven for like 15 minutes tops.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Adama posted:

Just wondering still if there has been a Buffalo Wing thread created- I want to make one!

I don't think there is one currently open and I would be interested in seeing what other people use for recipes.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I'm looking for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe that I can make tonight (which means the three-day recipe from NYT and such is out). Other stipulations:

No white chocolate
Other grains (aka oats) are good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Surprisingly, the one on the back of the tollhouse pack of chocolate chips is pretty good.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Surprisingly, the one on the back of the tollhouse pack of chocolate chips is pretty good.

I always use that one, but substitute Crisco for butter. It makes the cookies soft and wonderful :3:

Never found one I liked better, to be honest.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

I always use that one, but substitute Crisco for butter. It makes the cookies soft and wonderful :3:

Never found one I liked better, to be honest.

Hmm -- yeah honestly Ive had a friend who can make the quintessential Toll House Cookie that are pretty good. Maybe Ill do that and try substituting in Extra Virgin Coconut oil.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CI's brown butter recipe is my new go-to. They started with the Tollhouse recipe but made it better.

Makes 16 cookies

Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.
Ingredients

1 3/4cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
1/2teaspoon baking soda
14tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1teaspoon table salt
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
3/4cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

CI's brown butter recipe is my new go-to. They started with the Tollhouse recipe but made it better.

Makes 16 cookies

Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.
Ingredients

1 3/4cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
1/2teaspoon baking soda
14tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1teaspoon table salt
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
3/4cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

What's the texture like on these? I usually like a really soft almost gooey chocolate chip cookie but lately I've been craving a more cake like thicker cookie. My mother in law gets that texture from the toll house recipe, but using margarine and creaming the butter and sugar by hand. I don't get the texture I want using real butter and but I am not really interested in using margarine.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Hmm -- yeah honestly Ive had a friend who can make the quintessential Toll House Cookie that are pretty good. Maybe Ill do that and try substituting in Extra Virgin Coconut oil.

Let me know how the batter turns out using oil instead of a solid fat source, I'd be interested to know if it makes it more difficult to do drop cookies due to the batter being more loose.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

Let me know how the batter turns out using oil instead of a solid fat source, I'd be interested to know if it makes it more difficult to do drop cookies due to the batter being more loose.

Its solid at room-ish temp, but yeah if I do it ill let you know.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Its solid at room-ish temp, but yeah if I do it ill let you know.

Oh, really? I've only seen liquid coconut oil.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Randomity posted:

What's the texture like on these? I usually like a really soft almost gooey chocolate chip cookie but lately I've been craving a more cake like thicker cookie. My mother in law gets that texture from the toll house recipe, but using margarine and creaming the butter and sugar by hand. I don't get the texture I want using real butter and but I am not really interested in using margarine.

I wouldn't call them cakey. They're much more of a classic chewy middle with a crisp ring around the outside. Here's a picture of mine:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sporto
Oct 16, 2010

The Slayer walks the earth!
Hey chef-goons. I got a box of "Korean Inspired BBQ Chicken" (that's what the goddamn box actually said) from the frozen foods section and, predictably, the chicken itself was somekind of emulsion created from god knows what. The sauce, however, was really tasty.

If I can re-create a similar tasting sauce (or buy it premade) and combine it with actual chicken I cook myself, I'll be set. I've googled Korean BBQ recipes and I don't really know where to begin. The ingredients for the sauce are as follows, sans a couple of chemical names and artificial colorings:

Sugar, Water, Soy Sauce, Red Miso Paste, Sesame Oil, Garlic Puree, Hot Pepper Paste, Distilled Vinegar, Corn Starch, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Onion, Ginger, Pepper, Sesame Seeds, and Chili Pepper.

I know this is vague, but does anyone know what kind of Korean BBQ Sauce this is trying to emulate? Are there even different types? If anyone has any recommendations of sauces I can buy or any recipes they can point me towards to maybe achieve a similar effect, it would be appreciated!