Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
My Graf's and Reeboks where the same, I had to sharpen them at about the 6-8 hour mark (preferably 6). The 3k's I started with I sharpened every game, boot fit so good but that steel lost it's edge so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mother Teresa
Sep 16, 2007

bytebark posted:

Jesus Pissing Christ. My old skates were seriously hosed.

Yeah dude. Figure six hours is about four games/drop-ins? Mine would be dulling at that point but not fall-on-my-rear end-doing-crossovers dull. Maybe you got a bum pair of runners? I wouldn't swear them off if the boot fits you well. Could always throw a pair of Tuuks on them.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Evil Mother Teresa posted:

Scrape off the glue and put a strip of tape around both sides of the hosel. Then reapply the glue (you could probably buy a stick or two from your pro shop for cheap). If it's rattling all the glue in the world won't stop it from eventually falling out. I have an X60 shaft that the blade came loose from constantly until I taped it.

Word I've done that before with standard blades and my X:20 shaft but when I put in the composite X:20 blade it was real snug. I guess I expected the same from the X:60

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

poser posted:

I skated for about 3hrs today and I'm so freaking tired. I need to get back in shape, what do you fools recommend?
Well, I think anyone who skates for three hours is going to be pretty tired, but "jump rope till you puke" is a good suggestion.

e: But seriously, lunges are good. Stretching a lot is good. Cardio is good, but instead of running miles, do sprints or hop on a rower. And exercises that strengthen your core are real good (squats work well in this regard).

Gio fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 11, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keep skating and lift weights (not at the same time). Especially dead lifts and squats.

Also, listen to Iron Maiden.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Next time you want to skate for three hours do it with a speed chute and see how long you last.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The best is a speed chute + video camera so you can see how ridiculous your stride gets when you're tired.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

poser posted:

I skated for about 3hrs today and I'm so freaking tired. I need to get back in shape, what do you fools recommend?

I'm starting my own (since I'm poor) high intensity workout program. There is a huge hill by my house. I plan on running up and down it until exhaustion.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

Thufir posted:

Got a new stick :toot:

77 flex, Stamkos curve.

I've had two of the bad boys sitting in my hockeymonkey cart for about a week. I can't justify the $50 s&h though :sigh:.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Pr0phecy posted:

I've had two of the bad boys sitting in my hockeymonkey cart for about a week. I can't justify the $50 s&h though :sigh:.

I got it from Ice Warehouse so free shipping on orders over $100 (I got some other stuff too) but they don't have many of the x:40 left, I think I got the last right handed one.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

soggybagel posted:

I'm starting my own (since I'm poor) high intensity workout program. There is a huge hill by my house. I plan on running up and down it until exhaustion.
In the winter you should turn it into ice and skate up and down it. Be better too if you exposed a lot of your skin to frostbite while doing it, that way you'll increase toughness.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I cannot imagine how hard it would be to skate uphill.

But I bet it would do a drat fine job getting your heart pumping.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

I cannot imagine how hard it would be to skate uphill.

But I bet it would do a drat fine job getting your heart pumping.

You clearly haven't seen the ice skating treadmills that have crazy inclines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=_G3LyHwP-qA

Also, Redbull Crashed Ice. Downhill extreme ice skating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv751EFOZX4

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

That treadmill looks really dangerous.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So...interesting night at our pickup game last night. The Barons sent our rink manager about 50 used sticks for some charity thing, and he let us loose on the pile if we wanted to try something out. So, I got to play around a bit with a handful of slightly used top of the line sticks of varying lengths and curves and flexes. Thoughts on each:

Bauer APX was great, felt a lot like the Combat 52 cal I've been using but was a bit better shooter. Blade in particular was wonderful, it was like a magnet. Reebok Ai9 was a really nice shooter but I didn't like the balance as much. Seemed a bit heavy for the price point also. Easton RS was terrible for me, heavier and a lot less responsive than my 52 cal plus it didn't shoot well at all. Easton EQ50 was very nice though, felt a lot like an old school two piece composite (to include weight). Slap shot was particularly nice. CCM U+ CL was not impressive at all, although I didn't like the curve that was on it so that didn't help.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

bewbies posted:

So...interesting night at our pickup game last night. The Barons sent our rink manager about 50 used sticks for some charity thing, and he let us loose on the pile if we wanted to try something out. So, I got to play around a bit with a handful of slightly used top of the line sticks of varying lengths and curves and flexes. Thoughts on each:

Bauer APX was great, felt a lot like the Combat 52 cal I've been using but was a bit better shooter. Blade in particular was wonderful, it was like a magnet. Reebok Ai9 was a really nice shooter but I didn't like the balance as much. Seemed a bit heavy for the price point also. Easton RS was terrible for me, heavier and a lot less responsive than my 52 cal plus it didn't shoot well at all. Easton EQ50 was very nice though, felt a lot like an old school two piece composite (to include weight). Slap shot was particularly nice. CCM U+ CL was not impressive at all, although I didn't like the curve that was on it so that didn't help.

How many of those were the actual sticks they were labeled as though? 90% of the time pro-stock sticks are not what they say they are...

Just something to think about

Thufir
May 19, 2004

zinc68 posted:

How many of those were the actual sticks they were labeled as though? 90% of the time pro-stock sticks are not what they say they are...

Just something to think about

Coming from an AHL team I would think it's unlikely that the players would have endorsement deals that require them to fake their sticks. Even in the NHL I think it's rare that a player would have a deal lucrative enough to bother doing that, only the top guys.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Coming from an AHL team I would think it's unlikely that the players would have endorsement deals that require them to fake their sticks. Even in the NHL I think it's rare that a player would have a deal lucrative enough to bother doing that, only the top guys.

Even the lesser known players have their sticks repainted.. Because the gear whores will notice and you always want your newest sticks to be used in the NHL.

My buddy bought a Setoguchi EQ50 from the Sharks sale but it turned out to be a SE repaint

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the hell did I do last night where the muscles between my shoulder blades are sore like they got a workout? It was just a skate drills + scrimmage.. I did spend some extra time working on wrist shots, does shooting engage those muscles a little more?

Not that I mind, I'd just like to figure out where it came from (so I can do more of it).

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Reffing is hard work, you guys. Even low level beer league games. My legs were soooo stiff when I woke up Monday morning after an hour and a half of inline practice and reffing two games all on Sunday!

Also I'm old.

edit: And I have no issues with playing 2-3 games in a day or 5 games in a weekend in a tournament, either. Reffing is just so much more skating!

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 12, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Probably from all those bad calls! That slash was bullshit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEcvBODOhys&feature=related

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
lol dudes on your team were butthurt and yelling about us not calling anything when the net came off a couple of times (when yall were winning 4-1)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had a goal count against us last Saturday while the net was knocked way the gently caress off. It was absurd.

You got any bronze games this weekend?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Oh we stopped play when it came off, but they I think were trying to say that the goalie was intentionally knocking it off. Which is funny because it was the 2nd period so it was your goalie's original starting net so if it wasn't in good well...

My new puppy gets here this weekend and I have ice and roller practice so I'm taking the weekend off of officiating, and next weekend I'm doing two youth games on Sunday. They don't schedule us out much farther than that, haha.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
A 16 year old kid from my city is in pretty bad shape after taking a puck to the neck while blocking a shot:

News Link

This was midget so they would have been wearing cages and neckguards. Sad stuff. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Great, so now I'm gonna feel obligated to wear a dangler on the ice. :smith:

I know it's a low chance of happening, but that poo poo is pretty scary.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
That sucks, poor kid. Hope he's ok.

In other news, I scored 2 goals and had 2 assists tonight. I was all :smug: as this was happening. Hit two posts before those goals though, oh well. A win is a win!

One of the goals was going around the back of the net, wide, and just putting it into play in the goal mouth. Bounced of a skate and a shoulder -- good things happen.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

We had three guys get booted tonight, one for squirting the ref in the face with his water bottle

:ughh:

This is the first time I've considered quitting a team, because I'm worried about our reputation as a bunch of goons.

Er...the other kind.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I really wish my team didn't completely flip out and try to shuffle things around every time things aren't going our way. We played a really good first period tonight and were up 2-1 going into the second. In the second period we got completely hemmed in our own zone pretty much the whole time but only gave up one goal so it was tied 2-2. Going into the 3rd our captains decided to move 2 of our better players from D to F so we could "score some goals" and put one tolerable guy and one terrible guy in their places. Of course they got completely worked on D and we gave up 4 goals in the 3rd and lost 6-2.

Also I got clipped pretty hard while leaning to reach for a puck on my first shift, hope I don't come down with any concussion symptoms.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Honestly, what you need on D are guys who don't showboat and have an honest-to-god work ethic that involves looking for open guys in the slot and tying up their sticks.

I've seen :airquote: Really Good Players who suck at D because they're hot-shots who like to skate up, and leave all kinds of people free in the slot. And I've seen poo poo players who are awesome at D, because they seek out open guys in the slot like loving hounds.

If your teammates are talking about where to put your "best" players then you're probably screwed.

e: Sorry. I'm grumpy tonight. We won 7-1, but gently caress if a few guys didn't ruin it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

one for squirting the ref in the face with his water bottle

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Who the gently caress does that?

We had a guy who just came back from wrist surgery get a 10-minute major for throwing his stick at someone. He surpassed everyone on the team except one person in penalty minutes in 1 period.

What a whacky night.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 14, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Honestly, what you need on D are guys who don't showboat and have an honest-to-god work ethic that involves looking for open guys in the slot and tying up their sticks.

I've seen :airquote: Really Good Players who suck at D because they're hot-shots who like to skate up, and leave all kinds of people free in the slot. And I've seen poo poo players who are awesome at D, because they seek out open guys in the slot like loving hounds.

If your teammates are talking about where to put your "best" players then you're probably screwed.

e: Sorry. I'm grumpy tonight. We won 7-1, but gently caress if a few guys didn't ruin it.

Well, what we've got is:

1. Guy who has the worst shot I have ever seen and is slow but plays pretty well positionally and generally doesn't make terrible decisions.
2. Guy who skates and defends pretty well but tries to skate the puck end to end about 3 times a game.
3. Guy we just picked up who is pretty solid but obviously has mainly played roller and doesn't skate super well
4. Guy who kinda sucks but mostly is well positioned and thus does not make his sucking that obvious

and sometimes depending on who shows up / how many people show up:
5. Guy who sucks and has terrible positioning and makes really bad decisions and yells at the refs every game.

Anyway, I dunno, I think if our problem is that we're spending too much time in our own zone the solution is probably not to move our best defensemen to wing but I guess I could be wrong.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Who the gently caress does that?

Our best player, apparently. He's out for at least a month.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Our best player, apparently. He's out for at least a month.

Beer League, Serious Business :allears:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I've gotten exactly one penalty my entire playing career for tripping.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Only penalty I have ever had was me checking someone into the boards (non check league) and got a roughing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

If anyone's looking for a new helmet pro-stock Easton S19s seem to be on sale for $80 at Ice Warehouse and Hockey Monkey http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=ES19HP

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

"Get the puck deep" seems to be a pretty clear, simple direction, yeah? Too bad our first line doesn't get it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

"Get the puck deep" seems to be a pretty clear, simple direction, yeah? Too bad our first line doesn't get it.

I'm pretty sure there's some widespread neurological disorder that effects hockey players where they can sit on the bench and not only conceptually grasp the benefits of short shifts, getting the puck deep, and wingers covering the points in the defensive end; but also loudly extoll the virtue of such behaviors. Yet, as soon as they step on the ice they proceed to take 4:00 shifts, abandon the point, and futz around with the puck in the neutral zone. Probably caused by inhaling too much Zamboni exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Had a similar situation happen last night during our practice. I told one of my D men that on our breakout he should be more towards the center of the rink rather than on the boards looking for a pass. He agreed and even told his partner about it and they both agreed its a better position in case of a turn over. Yet when we scrimmed they were both setting up on the wide boards during the breakout...