Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sporadic posted:

Punisher: War Zone - $6.99 : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001QB9H2E
--------
Regarding Punisher: War Zone, if you haven't listened to How Did This Get Made? with special guests Patton Oswalt and Lexi Alexander (the director), you really owe it to yourself to listen to it. Very entertaining and informative http://www.earwolf.com/episode/punisher-war-zone/

Huh. Best Buy had Punisher at the same price and I decided to grab it. Even if I really hate it, I can trade it in at MovieStop for credit, and it's essentially the same as renting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Red posted:

Huh. Best Buy had Punisher at the same price and I decided to grab it. Even if I really hate it, I can trade it in at MovieStop for credit, and it's essentially the same as renting it.

As long as you don't go in expecting a sequel to the horrible John Travolta movie and don't have a problem with insane/waaaaay over the top violence, you should love it.

It's wild and the Punisher isn't portrayed as a hero.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I gotta second the Punisher War Zone love. To me, it's a comic book movie done right. Cheesy, over the top, not a dull moment. And then cinematography is legitimately breathtaking. I love it.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Rushmore reviews are up at Blu-Ray.com and DVDBeaver. Looks excellent, I'm pumped.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sporadic posted:

the horrible John Travolta movie

Man. Besides the scenes with The Russian and Harry Heck, that movie was loving awful.

Even the film's score sucked.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Radley Metzger's Erotica Psychedelica boxset dropped down to $50.99 on Amazon (it is listed under more buying choices for some reason)

The movies included are Camille 2000, The Lickerish Quartet and Score.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0052WNHEM

Has anyone seen any of these movies? It sounds kind of interesting, but at that price point I don't think I could blind buy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

codyclarke posted:

I gotta second the Punisher War Zone love. To me, it's a comic book movie done right. Cheesy, over the top, not a dull moment. And then cinematography is legitimately breathtaking. I love it.

I just finished War Zone, and that movie was loving awesome. Weird that Ray Stevenson looks like Chris Benoit in this film, though. He's seriously a dead ringer. (no pun intended)

Question: This Blu-Ray comes with the digital download disc, which just confuses me. Why do they need to include an entire second disc that A.) is a one-time use piece of media, and B.) is something that has a possible expiration date. Why? I like that I can put the movie in iTunes, but why do I need a disc? Just give me a unique code or something. It's such a waste to include it in the packaging.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I am tempted by this. Both series of An Idiot Abroad. I have them all anyway but in SD; some of the scenery and shots are quite gorgeous if I remember correctly.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/-/2693/1960/-/21957468/Karl-Pilkington-An-Idiot-Abroad-Series-1-2-Box-Set/Product.html

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

henpod posted:

I am tempted by this. Both series of An Idiot Abroad. I have them all anyway but in SD; some of the scenery and shots are quite gorgeous if I remember correctly.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/-/2693/1960/-/21957468/Karl-Pilkington-An-Idiot-Abroad-Series-1-2-Box-Set/Product.html
It's 3 quid cheaper to buy them both separately.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Blodskur posted:

It's 3 quid cheaper to buy them both separately.

But I like the front cover :(

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

henpod posted:

But I like the front cover :(

Worth it.

When Warner's released their remastered Kubrick set, I bought each title separately rather than in the set, because they made the set artwork look like poo poo and I'm a massive dvd sperg.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Has anyone seen any of these movies? It sounds kind of interesting, but at that price point I don't think I could blind buy.

I've seen Score and I'd say no, that really isn't something you should blind buy. I'm not saying I didn't like it, it's just definitely not to everyone's tastes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
- edit Two double-pack price drops on Amazon.

$11.99 each

Mercury Rising/The Jackal = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003R4ZMOK
Fearless/Unleashed = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004GXKBGK

Also the Louie Season 1 in a Blu-Ray case dropped down to $14.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003R4ZMOK

----------

Red posted:

Question: This Blu-Ray comes with the digital download disc, which just confuses me. Why do they need to include an entire second disc that A.) is a one-time use piece of media, and B.) is something that has a possible expiration date. Why? I like that I can put the movie in iTunes, but why do I need a disc? Just give me a unique code or something. It's such a waste to include it in the packaging.

Because people will see two discs on the cover and think they are getting more for their money! :pseudo:

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 9, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Wow. Since when do Amazon UK provide free international shipping??? Am I the only one that missed this?

edit: Oh. It's only Australia, India, New Zealand and South Africa. Still, I'm glad I can ship some stuff back to Aus and pick it up when I visit this Christmas. I don't mind paying more for the box set of An Idiot Abroad when it's only £21.64 shipped.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 9, 2011

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Is The Last Temptation of Christ available on Blu-Ray? Also, is there an American release of An Idiot Abroad?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

Is The Last Temptation of Christ available on Blu-Ray? Also, is there an American release of An Idiot Abroad?

No and no.

Also

regarding the UK An Idiot Abroad release posted:

The BD is not region locked but it is 1080i50hz (the Euro standard for HD broadcast) so my PS3 won't play it beyond the "2entertain" logo. It plays perfectly on my Brother In Law's Oppo BDP-83, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't care what your opinions are of The Birth of a Nation, but Kino's remaster looks awesome:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/birthofanation.htm

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Jesus that is an amazing restoration. Kino is really on top of their game with Metropolis, Battleship Potemkin, and other remasters like this.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Jesus that is an amazing restoration. Kino is really on top of their game with Metropolis, Battleship Potemkin, and other remasters like this.

Kino isn't necessarily doing much restoration work, but rather assembling releases from materials licensed from archives that did perform the restorations. BoaN, as well as Griffith's Way Down East are from the Museum of Modern Art (NYC) 35mm materials. They're sort of like how Criterion operates except opt not to apply much in the way of digital cleanup.

Also, according to a Nitrateville post, a huge 10-disc set of Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle films will be released next year on both DVD and Blu-Ray. There's also a project underway to remaster all twelve of Chaplin's Mutual short films (including Easy Street and The Immigrant) in 2K. A few are even being converted to 3-D (but remaining B&W) with speed correction and new orchestral scores.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Amazon's deal of the day is the recent Stanley Kubrick blu collection from Warner. It's $63 at the moment, which works out to about $7 a movie.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

frumpsnake posted:

Wow. Since when do Amazon UK provide free international shipping??? Am I the only one that missed this?

edit: Oh. It's only Australia, India, New Zealand and South Africa. Still, I'm glad I can ship some stuff back to Aus and pick it up when I visit this Christmas. I don't mind paying more for the box set of An Idiot Abroad when it's only £21.64 shipped.

wait wait wait wait WHAT

e: just tried and though it wasn't free, one Blu Ray cost £3 shipping to Australia. They won't ship my Uncharted 3 though, which would have been awesome at the equivalent of $60.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 10, 2011

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Some screenshots of Criterion's HD transfer of Rushmore (personally supervised by Wes Anderson himself) here.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Some screenshots of Criterion's HD transfer of Rushmore (personally supervised by Wes Anderson himself) here.

November 22 being outside of the Barnes and Noble sale is like some kind of cruel cosmic joke.

I wonder if The Royal Tenenbaums will be next.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RichterIX posted:

November 22 being outside of the Barnes and Noble sale is like some kind of cruel cosmic joke.

I wonder if The Royal Tenenbaums will be next.
Just gonna have to bite the bullet like me and buy it at full price.

I hope Tenenbaums is next, since I haven't seen it in a really long time and I'd like to watch it in HD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'd personally like to see them get Fantastic Mr. Fox, since the BD of that is next to barebones.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Blu-ray.com has had their review (and screenshots) up for a few days:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rushmore-Blu-ray/28094/#Review

Looks absolutely fantastic. I've never seen a Wes Anderson film other than Fantastic Mr. Fox (which I adore), should I blind buy this? Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman + Criterion and an absolutely amazing looking transfer seems to point towards "Good God yes."

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

GonSmithe posted:

Blu-ray.com has had their review (and screenshots) up for a few days:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rushmore-Blu-ray/28094/#Review

Looks absolutely fantastic. I've never seen a Wes Anderson film other than Fantastic Mr. Fox (which I adore), should I blind buy this? Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman + Criterion and an absolutely amazing looking transfer seems to point towards "Good God yes."

Blind buy all of his films.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah. You probably won't like all of them (Anderson is one of those directors where even people who love him usually dislike one of his films, though which one that is varies a ton), but they're all worth seeing.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The Life Aquatic is the one I really can't wait for a blu-ray of. That was such a visual treat in theaters, with so much tiny stuff to look at, a lot of which was lost on the DVD.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

You probably won't like all of them (Anderson is one of those directors where even people who love him usually dislike one of his films, though which one that is varies a ton), but they're all worth seeing.

Huh, that's a pretty spot-on comment for me, whether it's a real trend or not. I love all of Wes's films except for Bottle Rocket, which I absolutely loathe...

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I really thought I would grow out of loving Wes Anderson, but the older I get the more I love his films. Every single one.

I saw him do a little Q&A session at an Apple store a few weeks ago, he mentioned that they're putting The Royal Tenenbaums on blu-ray on next and he was going to check the transfer at Criterion soon. I really can not wait for that or The Life Aquatic to drop.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

zeroordie posted:

I really thought I would grow out of loving Wes Anderson, but the older I get the more I love his films. Every single one.

I saw him do a little Q&A session at an Apple store a few weeks ago, he mentioned that they're putting The Royal Tenenbaums on blu-ray on next and he was going to check the transfer at Criterion soon. I really can not wait for that or The Life Aquatic to drop.
That is very good news. It's probably my favorite movie, and even though I have the Criterion DVD it still leaves much to be desired quality-wise.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Royal Tenenbaums is his masterpiece so far. I owe that film for making me look at cinema as a serious art form. (edit: to clarify, I was 17 when I first saw it)

Plus, Wes Anderson is one of the few directors that still shoots in bona-fide anamorphic Panavision, besides Clint Eastwood and Paul Thomas Anderson.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 11, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Egbert Souse posted:

The Royal Tenenbaums is his masterpiece so far. I owe that film for making me look at cinema as a serious art form.

Huh. Never heard that one before.

Incidentally, the film that made me consider cinema as a serious art form is getting a Blu Ray release and a 3D conversion. :downs:

Seriously though, I'm buying it.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 11, 2011

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Huh. Never heard that one before.

Mine was...Die Hard.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Criminal Minded posted:

Mine was...Die Hard.

At the one film class I took in college, some brave soul stood up in the middle of all of us pretentious twats to announce that his favorite film was Die Hard. :unsmith:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kaujot posted:

At the one film class I took in college, some brave soul stood up in the middle of all of us pretentious twats to announce that his favorite film was Die Hard. :unsmith:

There really is no loving way why that wouldn't be a completely reasonable answer.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

kaujot posted:

Was...was it me? :ohdear:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Jay Dub posted:

Was...was it me? :ohdear:

Do you live in London?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

kaujot posted:

Do you live in London?

Sadly, no.

Though I have definitely declared my love for Die Hard in a room full of film students and felt like a total tool for it.

...Actually, no. Die Hard is a work of genius. gently caress 'em.

• Locked thread