Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Dante posted:

this is dumb and wrong and certain techniques being more high-percentage is tautologically true in every sport please stop this nonsense

I've already explained numerous times why "high percentage" is stupid so just take that as word now.

Everything done right at the right time is 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
But not everything is done right at the right time so...

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I've already explained numerous times why "high percentage" is stupid so just take that as word now.

Everything done right at the right time is 100%
No it's not. Something being low percentage doesn't mean it's physically impossible it means that due to variety of factors (like setup time, ease of counters, positional control etc) you're on average going to have a lower success ratio. Similarly something being high percentage does not mean it's an invincible sequence of moves. Even if you remove the opponent from the question there are techniques that are far more efficient than others. In BJJ like in every other sport you have converged on a number of main positional postures and ways to transition in and out of them that are optimal, this is why high jumpers do the fosbury flop instead of straddle jumping like before. So for instance the reason you do the rear-naked choke instead of just grabbing around his throat with your hand and squeezing is because the RNC is a much more powerful choke and because it's much harder to defend.

Dante fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 11, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dante posted:

No it's not. Something being low percentage doesn't mean it's physically impossible it means that due to variety of factors (like setup time, ease of counters, positional control etc) you're on average going to have a lower success ratio. Similarly something being high percentage does not mean it's an invincible sequence of moves. Even if you remove the opponent from the question there are techniques that are far more efficient than others. In BJJ like in every other sport you have converged on a number of main positional postures and ways to transition in and out of them that are optimal, this is why high jumpers do the fosbury flop instead of straddle jumping like before. So for instance the reason you do the rear-naked choke instead of just grabbing around his throat with your hand and squeezing is because the RNC is a much more powerful choke and because it's much harder to defend.

I was kind of thinking along these lines, there's no way a gogoplata is as high percentage as a triangle choke.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

1st AD posted:

But not everything is done right at the right time so...

That's completely relative to the person performing the move and how/why/when they're performing it. It's not the move's fault.

BlindSite posted:

I was kind of thinking along these lines, there's no way a gogoplata is as high percentage as a triangle choke.

If you took the amount of times I've perfectly attempted a gogoplata compared to the amount of times I've finished a gogoplata, and took the amount of times I've perfectly attempted a triangle choke compared to the amount of times I've finished a triangle choke, I'd say the percentage would probably be about the same. It might even be higher for the gogo. And even if it was lower for the gogo, that doesn't mean the gogo itself is lower percentage overall.

It's not possible to say that every person ever doing one move will have a lower percentage of success than a different move. There are too many factors and variables.

This is not a game of percentages. Do what works for you and what you enjoy.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Who Gotch Ya posted:

That's completely relative to the person performing the move and how/why/when they're performing it. It's not the move's fault.

If you took the amount of times I've perfectly attempted a gogoplata compared to the amount of times I've finished a gogoplata, and took the amount of times I've perfectly attempted a triangle choke compared to the amount of times I've finished a triangle choke, I'd say the percentage would probably be about the same. It might even be higher for the gogo. And even if it was lower for the gogo, that doesn't mean the gogo itself is lower percentage overall.

It's not possible to say that every person ever doing one move will have a lower percentage of success than a different move. There are too many factors and variables.

This is not a game of percentages. Do what works for you and what you enjoy.

You're being overly pedantic. A high percentage technique is one where there are fewer confounding factors that would cause you to perform it imperfectly. A low percentage move is one where there are more confounding factors that would cause you perform it imperfectly.

An RNC is not higher percentage than a gogoplata because a perfectly performed RNC makes a guy "more choked" than a perfectly preformed gogoplata or something. It's higher percentage because it's harder to gently caress up an RNC, it's easier to set up an RNC, and it's harder to defend an RNC. A high-percentage move is one that the collective group of BJJ practitioners have a high success rate performing, not what the magic glow in the dark headscissors master has practiced for hours on end so that his game can be hipper than everyone else's.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

mobn posted:

glow in the dark

Mobn how tan are you yourself?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

mobn posted:

An RNC is not higher percentage than a gogoplata because a perfectly performed RNC makes a guy "more choked" than a perfectly preformed gogoplata or something. It's higher percentage because it's harder to gently caress up an RNC, it's easier to set up an RNC, and it's harder to defend an RNC.

I disagree. It's way easier for me to gently caress up an RNC than a gogo. The positioning required for an RNC is much harder for me to obtain and maintain than the positioning for a gogo. More people know RNC defense than gogo defense. And I would still never say some bullshit like "this one move is higher percentage than this other one".

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I disagree. It's way easier for me to gently caress up an RNC than a gogo. The positioning required for an RNC is much harder for me to obtain and maintain than the positioning for a gogo. More people know RNC defense than gogo defense. And I would still never say some bullshit like "this one move is higher percentage than this other one".

that may be true for you, possibly because you spend all your time on gogoplatas? but "fact remains" that for the vast majority of people what mobn is saying seems to be correct

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
How many times a week do you BJJ guys typically train? My club, in Sweden, has classes 3 times a week in the evenings, morning training 4 days a week and one class on saturdays. I try to train BJJ about 5 times a week.
I'm curious what it's like at other schools, especially in the States.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

beadgc posted:

How many times a week do you BJJ guys typically train? My club, in Sweden, has classes 3 times a week in the evenings, morning training 4 days a week and one class on saturdays. I try to train BJJ about 5 times a week.
I'm curious what it's like at other schools, especially in the States.

I aim for 2-3 but I work full time and also do muay thai and a normal gym routine, so its near impossible to train more than that for me.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

the periodic fable posted:

that may be true for you, possibly because you spend all your time on gogoplatas? but "fact remains" that for the vast majority of people what mobn is saying seems to be correct

I've been formally instructed on RNCs. I've never been formally instructed on gogoplatas.

Different moves work better/worse for different people. You can't blanket a move as "low percentage" because the people doing moves are constantly changing. When a new child is born you can't say "this kid is gonna have to do RNCs 'cause that's higher percentage than gogoplatas". You don't know what their style, body and ability will be like.

Example: The Cody Mackenzie style of guillotine would be very low percentage for Mark Coleman. Whereas the far side arm triangle is 100% for Mark Coleman and probably 0% for Cody Mackenzie.

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 11, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
i'm not saying anybody HAS to do anything, but i still feel you're being pedantic about the whole thing, or we're misunderstanding each other.

what does it matter what you've been formally instructed on, if you spend a great amount of time on the gogoplata then obviously you will become proficient at it and if you're STILL loving up rear-naked chokes then i would say that obviously you aren't practising them much. i don't see what your personal individual skill at one thing or another has to do with the general sense that there are some techniques that are easier (high-percentage if you will) than others

i would hesitate to draw parallels between grappling and striking but wouldn't you say a straight right is a more high-percentage technique than a spinning back kick? one is easy to learn, easy to do, involves few stages whereas the other is hard and requires more component moves to pull off.

are you still disagreeing with the idea that some techniques are much easier to learn the basics of and apply in practice than others? or are we talking about too many things at once. because this is my definition of that expression, which is an expression and not an inviolable law

on top of this there is of course the factor you mention where body types play a difference but i would say that's a known quantity already and i don't think anybody would say that the triangle is still a "high-percentage move" for a person with short but stocky legs. in my opinion this doesn't detract from the idea that the triangle is easy to teach, easy to learn, easy to apply in practice and to finish, in other words a high-percentage technique (something many people can learn and not gently caress up)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Haha why are you guys actually engaging him in this argument? He does this stupid recursive pedantry all the time and its just an excuse to talk about the badass low-percentage wrestling moves he learned, which ARENT low percentage when HE does them :smug:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I would say the number of finishes in high level grappling represents a pretty good pool of data. you see more finishes there from certain moves than others.

If everything was equally high percentage, I think you'd see a more even spread, especially if the more novel submissions worked equally well since they would have surprise working in their favor.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I would say the number of finishes in high level grappling represents a pretty good pool of data. you see more finishes there from certain moves than others.

If everything was equally high percentage, I think you'd see a more even spread, especially if the more novel submissions worked equally well since they would have surprise working in their favor.

Everyone intuitively understands this already, its just Cortex bomb being a jerkoff

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

i'm not saying anybody HAS to do anything, but i still feel you're being pedantic about the whole thing, or we're misunderstanding each other.

what does it matter what you've been formally instructed on, if you spend a great amount of time on the gogoplata then obviously you will become proficient at it and if you're STILL loving up rear-naked chokes then i would say that obviously you aren't practising them much. i don't see what your personal individual skill at one thing or another has to do with the general sense that there are some techniques that are easier (high-percentage if you will) than others

Spitting on a guy is easier than RNCing him. Does that mean spitting on a guy has a higher finish percentage than an RNC? Ease has nothing to do with this.

I would argue that there are just as many, if not more technical aspects to completing an RNC or a triangle choke compared to finishing an omoplata or a gogoplata. You learn the technical aspects of what you need to do, you work on doing them, and then you do them.

i would hesitate to draw parallels between grappling and striking but wouldn't you say a straight right is a more high-percentage technique than a spinning back kick? one is easy to learn, easy to do, involves few stages whereas the other is hard and requires more component moves to pull off.

How many straight rights get thrown and completely miss or don't knock a guy out compared to the amount of spinning back kicks that get thrown and completely miss or don't knock a guy out? You don't have the numbers so you can't put a percentage value on it.

Xguard86 posted:

Ok so there are numerically more armlock finishes than gogoplata finishes by volume, but there are more armlocks attempted than gogoplatas attempted. Where's the stat guy to watch every match ever and see what the exact percentage is of each move being finished after being attempted properly by a proficient grappler? I don't think he's gonna be able to do that so you can't say for sure that one move has a higher finish percentage than another.

I'm not saying "everything is equally high percentage", I'm saying the very concept of "high percentage moves" is flawed and unproven by the very thing you're talking about, percentages.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The very concept of things being likely is flawed. Thank you for the enlightening expose on the Classical Theory of Probability

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
You want to talk numbers, show me the numbers. You don't have numbers, don't talk about numbers.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Who Gotch Ya posted:

You want to talk numbers, show me the numbers. You don't have numbers, don't talk about numbers.

The same goes for you, and you're the only one who always gets worked up about things being innocuously deemed 'high percentage moves'. When you have some Hard Scientific Data proving somehow that the Rings of Saturn or whatever gay moves you like are as high percentage as an RNC then we can have this discussion

widunder
May 2, 2002
Something being high percentage can reasonably only be measured in relation to the number of attempts of the same move. Something can subjectively be more or less complicated, but as cortx pointed out, that is wholly dependent on the executioner - it just so happens that armbars apparently are simpler to do for most people. This really doesn't equal them being a more high percentage move.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

nemoulette posted:

Something being high percentage can reasonably only be measured in relation to the number of attempts of the same move. Something can subjectively be more or less complicated, but as cortx pointed out, that is wholly dependent on the executioner.

Sometimes people don't attempt certain moves often, because they're less likely to work :ssh:

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

nemoulette posted:

Something being high percentage can reasonably only be measured in relation to the number of attempts of the same move. Something can subjectively be more or less complicated, but as cortx pointed out, that is wholly dependent on the executioner - it just so happens that armbars apparently are simpler to do for most people. This really doesn't equal them being a more high percentage move.

Word this is what I'm saying without me being a dick

widunder
May 2, 2002

james earl pwns posted:

Sometimes people don't attempt certain moves often, because they're less likely to work :ssh:
Yeah but the likeliness of them working is a matter of skill of whoever tries to do them. You can argue all day that there's some sort of objective measure of difficulty where, let's say, an achilles lock is easier than a kneebar or something, but it will be an exercise in futility.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

james earl pwns posted:

The same goes for you, and you're the only one who always gets worked up about things being innocuously deemed 'high percentage moves'. When you have some Hard Scientific Data proving somehow that the Rings of Saturn or whatever gay moves you like are as high percentage as an RNC then we can have this discussion

Ok this is me showing you the lack of numbers and percentages:

widunder
May 2, 2002
I, for whatever reason, can't finish triangles to save my life, I usually switch to an armbar or an omoplata or whatever. When will you start to draw the conclusion that a triangle is a low-percentage move? When 10,000 people have the same problem? When we stop seeing triangles in ADCC? The only somewhat measurable variable is the skill of the grappler.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
lol@ glow in the dark head scissor master. So true. Dont feed the trolls yall.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I'll try to make it easier to understand for the pedantic aspergers crew:

When your coach says "Hey Cortxbomb. Stop dicking around with that gay flying omoplata poo poo and learn how to do a proper RNC for god's sake. It's a much higher percentage move" he is right. The amount of times you'll find yourself in a position to perform a RNC is far greater than the amount of opportunities youll have to try a flying omoplata, no matter how perfect your technique is. This is why you see tons of RNC finishes in competition and not very many flying omoplatas. No matter how much the game 'evolves', itll never turn into duelling flying omoplatas. Perfecting your RNC is a better way to spend your time than attempting to perfect some stupid submission that you'll rarely if ever be in a position to actually pull off

Your "anything done with perfect skill is 100% effective" shtick is what every lovely TMA guy says to defend their art. Why don't you go train strip mall aikido since the cool moves they do are all equally high percentage as an armbar, as long as you can do it with perfection?

Go ask any blackbelt if a RNC is a higher percentage move than a flying headscissors, and theyll say yes and probably laugh at you for asking such a moronic question because they're using common sense and not being pedantic nerds about the definition of probability

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
TKO victory.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

james earl pwns posted:

Go ask any blackbelt if a RNC is a higher percentage move than a flying headscissors, and theyll say yes and probably laugh at you for asking such a moronic question because they're using common sense and not being pedantic nerds about the definition of probability

Go ask a blackbelt if it's ok to rape girls and apparently a bunch of them will tell you it's ok. Black belts aren't right about everything.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Go ask a blackbelt if it's ok to rape girls and apparently a bunch of them will tell you it's ok. Black belts aren't right about everything.

Yeah, but they tend to be right about grappling, which is the point -- around brown belt level most people are cured of the "Looking up low percentage moves on Youtube and practicing them in my apartment to impress my nerd friends" affliction that seems to exclusively affect blue belt "Powder" stunt doubles

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
When I attempt to finish an omoplata, I don't have to roll dice to see if it works. There isn't a set chance that it will work. If I do it right and prevent the defense, it's going to work.

You can't say that it will just magically fail because more people finish choke sleepers than omoplatas.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
From reading these definitions it seems like a lot of people associate "high percentage" with "easy." This makes sense too (speaking as a technical relativist), because if a technique is easy to learn/conceptualize/incorporate into one's gameplan, it'll be used often by a wide variety of people, and we'll see more submissions from it than other more esoteric subs because people don't know the weirder techniques as well and don't use them as often.

However, I want to dispute the opinion that "easy" is "better." I think in this environment where grapplers tend to burn bright and short (if you're past 30 you'd better have a great tournament record or no one's gonna give a @%#@ what you can do) we like "easy" moves because we can learn them fast. But it's important to remember that there are some things that just can't be learned quickly- we see in judo that the real technical mindset doesn't come about until someone's about a decade into the art, which usually puts them past their tournament 'prime.'

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ridleys Revenge posted:

From reading these definitions it seems like a lot of people associate "high percentage" with "easy." This makes sense too (speaking as a technical relativist), because if a technique is easy to learn/conceptualize/incorporate into one's gameplan, it'll be used often by a wide variety of people, and we'll see more submissions from it than other more esoteric subs because people don't know the weirder techniques as well and don't use them as often.

However, I want to dispute the opinion that "easy" is "better." I think in this environment where grapplers tend to burn bright and short (if you're past 30 you'd better have a great tournament record or no one's gonna give a @%#@ what you can do) we like "easy" moves because we can learn them fast. But it's important to remember that there are some things that just can't be learned quickly- we see in judo that the real technical mindset doesn't come about until someone's about a decade into the art, which usually puts them past their tournament 'prime.'

Agreed, this is why its dishonorable for people to learn so-called "easy" or "effective" moves such as a double leg and RNC when they could be studying chi manipulation and be pressure pointing people to death within 50 years of practice

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Who Gotch Ya posted:

When I attempt to finish an omoplata, I don't have to roll dice to see if it works. There isn't a set chance that it will work. If I do it right and prevent the defense, it's going to work.

You can't say that it will just magically fail because more people finish choke sleepers than omoplatas.

No you don't roll dice, no it won't magically fail. However, a technically proficient grappler fighting another technically proficient grappler is more likely to perform an armbar right and prevent the defense than they are to do the same with a pentagram choke, therefore making it "higher percentage".

If you're really going to get your gi in that big of a twist over it, just mentally substitute "high percentage" with "more commonly completed".

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

nemoulette posted:

Yeah but the likeliness of them working is a matter of skill of whoever tries to do them. You can argue all day that there's some sort of objective measure of difficulty where, let's say, an achilles lock is easier than a kneebar or something, but it will be an exercise in futility.
due to sheer simple body mechanics a RNC is a higher percentage choke from the backmount than grabbing their throat with one hand. The reason we have a serious of complicated movements we call submissions instead of just trying to squeeze some guys arm until it pops is to find the optimal leverage and control while exploiting body mechanics, therefore some positions are better than others. This isn't a hard concept to grasp for anyone.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

yeah okay the reason you're struggling with this is because your concept of probability is tied to the way it functions in games apparently

Dante fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 11, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I don't necessarily agree with this.I think berimbolo and Reverse De La Riva to the back are high percentage. Neither of those techniques are "basic" and frankly they aren't super easy, but they work consistently at the highest levels for guys of all sizes.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Hm, that's an interesting point, I'd agree that it seems like there's an aspect of consistency the term 'high percentage' in addition to the ease of use/learning. The berimbolo thing was totally new to me btw and awesome so thanks for that

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

dokomoy posted:

I don't necessarily agree with this.I think berimbolo and Reverse De La Riva to the back are high percentage. Neither of those techniques are "basic" and frankly they aren't super easy, but they work consistently at the highest levels for guys of all sizes.

Exactly, and the reverse is true that "easy" things like a straight up rape choke aren't high percentage despite being extremely easy to "perfect", because they just aren't effective against a resisting opponent

You could replace the term "high percentage" with "commonly completed" like Big Mobn suggests above, except every normal person already intuitively knows what is meant by high percentage and it wouldnt clarify anything for anyone other than nerds who like bicker about dumb crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Oh so now it's about moves being common? Is common better?

Is rhyming party with bacardi the most effective rhyme because millions of rappers have done it?

Or if it's about probability, you can't say an RNC is more probable to finish than a gogoplata. Life doesn't work that way.

How is controlling a guy and putting my arm under his neck any more probable than controlling a guy and putting my shin under his neck? If I can control him I can control him and if I can get part of my body wrapped around his throat I can choke him.

Why would anybody try to put severe limits on a nearly limitless art?