Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

Crippler Crossface was more over than the LaBell Lock, though.

The LaBell Lock still gets a pretty good crowd reaction, though, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

The LaBell Lock still gets a pretty good crowd reaction, though, all things considered.

It's the elephant in the room, so... THEY'RE THE SAME loving MOVE. Seriously. Bryan just scissors the arm above the elbow instead of below.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Gaz-L posted:

Everyone has joints. It's how guys like Benoit were believable in beating Show.

Well the thing is Benoit had the eyes of a killer, which made him menacing.

Kaleidoclops
May 8, 2010

They came from the stars, they had electric flying cars!

Lone Rogue posted:

Hmmm... I wonder what theme song he'd use. I know he'd wear flannel as a lumberjack, and maybe a hard hat. He needs a song to express how he ain't a boy or a woman because he has a beard. You know, that he's a man.

I will bite, and it is an obvious choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSXzaA5e72M

This is also going to be played at my wedding.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LordPants posted:

Crippler Crossface was more over than the LaBell Lock, though.

That's because people that used it won matches with it.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Lone Rogue posted:

Bryan as a giant killer just doesn't work for me.

There is only one giant killer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUeIvd6svRc

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
On the topic of AmDrag, where does the "Lloyd Boner" name come from? And did "Bazooka Kaboom" originate on WH2K or elsewhere?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

BizarroAzrael posted:

And did "Bazooka Kaboom" originate on WH2K or elsewhere?

Have you heard Bazooka Kaboom mentioned elsewhere?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

BizarroAzrael posted:

On the topic of AmDrag, where does the "Lloyd Boner" name come from? And did "Bazooka Kaboom" originate on WH2K or elsewhere?

Bazooka Kaboom originated here, as a joke after numerous other terrible FCW names were announced at the time of his signing, such as Sweet Papi Sanchez. It made its way onto Wikipedia and lasted there for ages until he appeared on NXT as Daniel Bryan.

Lloyd Boner, I believe, came from an interview he did where he said if he wound up in TNA, he would use that as a name, or they would assign it to him or something.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

And did "Bazooka Kaboom" originate on WH2K or elsewhere?
When WH2K was at the height of "THOSE AREN'T REAL NAMES" FishBulb said they would name him Bazooka Kaboom and it picked up steam within the forum. Side note: people then said Daniel Bryan wasn't a "real name." This is a stupid criticism unlike "why would they change the name of one of the most recognizable indie wrestlers in the world", which is a smart criticism.

Xenoletum posted:

terrible FCW names ... such as Sweet Papi Sanchez.
gently caress you.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Xenoletum posted:

Lloyd Boner, I believe, came from an interview he did where he said if he wound up in TNA, he would use that as a name, or they would assign it to him or something.

Is TNA even known for giving out lovely names? (Besides Murphy) Or did he say that before realizing that WWE is the generic name factory?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Xenoletum posted:

Promo he did in Chikara after being fired. He said something like "no one wants to see Desmond Wolfe versus Lloyd Boner."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Promo he did in Chikara after being fired. He said something like "no one wants to see Desmond Wolfe versus Lloyd Boner."

I think he also predicted that some other indy name would be signed and renamed John Weinerson.

Also, is it okay to say "boner" in Chikara?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

maniacripper posted:

There is only one giant killer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUeIvd6svRc

That isn't Shane-O Mac :colbert:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CombineThresher posted:

I think he also predicted that some other indy name would be signed and renamed John Weinerson.

Also, is it okay to say "boner" in Chikara?

Kingston said "balls" in his High Noon promo, if that helps.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Is TNA even known for giving out lovely names? (Besides Murphy) Or did he say that before realizing that WWE is the generic name factory?

The worst TNA offenders at least in recent memory would be Desmond Wolfe, Austin Starr and Senshi. And those are not terrible names. I honestly prefer Desmond Wolfe to Nigel McGuinness.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TNA has done many things wrong, but Austin Aries being called "THE Austin Starr" was not one of them as far as I'm concerned.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
The thing that gets me is Russo telling Nigel that Desmond Wolfe was apparently a really common British name, when I've never met a Desmond in my life, let alone with Wolfe as a surname. Makes me think that they came up to him with a choice of three names and the other two options were 'Monty Python' and 'The Queen'.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Volcano Style posted:

The thing that gets me is Russo telling Nigel that Desmond Wolfe was apparently a really common British name, when I've never met a Desmond in my life, let alone with Wolfe as a surname. Makes me think that they came up to him with a choice of three names and the other two options were 'Monty Python' and 'The Queen'.

The only Desmond that comes to mind is Desmond Child. As for Wolf, I actually grew up knowing two men named Wolf as their first name and both were originally from England.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Volcano Style posted:

I'm guessing it's a common name in the same way that,"Farqhuar Chesterton" and "Trevor Smythe-Baxley" are. Basically, Russo thought it "sounded" British. I'm delighted at the concept of a guy from Brooklyn telling a guy from London what common British names are.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

In WWE there are quite literally no rules pertaining to any of the belts these days. Men have challenged for, and won, the women's title, for example.

Other than Harvey Wippleman, who? I know that Santino won the Miss Wrestlemania title--but that was a literal joke.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

triplexpac posted:

What we really need is another steroid trial, maybe then DB will finally get the Hitman push.

So all someone would have to do is seduce Mason Ryan then frame him for your suicide. It's so close I can feel it.

Also if we're going to fantasy book DB I'd want him to lose at Mania, lose his cash-in again next year at Mania against post-match Undertaker, then win RR 2014 and finally winning the WWE title in a triple threat match against Cena and Orton at WMXXX. Then Mexico Champion Sin Cara comes out and they hug as confetti fills the ring.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Volcano Style posted:

Ten bucks says he got it from Lost and Duran Duran.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I choose to believe it is an Assassin's Creed reference.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Lone Rogue posted:

The only Desmond that comes to mind is Desmond Child. As for Wolf, I actually grew up knowing two men named Wolf as their first name and both were originally from England.

Also there's a character Desmond in The Beatles' song "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", which Russo's probably heard.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Or he was watching Lost and his mind Scottish=British

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
In WWE '12, they have a World Heavyweight Championship with WCW spraypainted on it in black. Did that ever happen, or is it Yukes being weird?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Matlock posted:

In WWE '12, they have a World Heavyweight Championship with WCW spraypainted on it in black. Did that ever happen, or is it Yukes being weird?

I don't think it ever happened, and there's a decent chance it's something that happens in the RTWM mode.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

Probably a reference to when the NWO sprayed their initials on the WCW belt.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Wasn't there something in previews about a WCW invasion storyline? It probably has to do with that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jerusalem posted:

As a stupid little kid, I lived in a blissful state of double-think, where of course it was absolutely 100% real but when me and my friends wrestled during recess - we all instinctively stomped our feet while faking punches and made a point of doing moves "safely". We never discussed it or brought it up at all, it was just something that was known and done.

Except for the Figure 4. The Figure 4 was real. :colbert:

The figure four is real as hell and I hate it and anybody that uses it.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
The Figure 4 owns just because the legit reversal is so nonsensical looking.

"Haha, turn over, like that will save yoooouuuuuuauaaaagggghhhhhh"

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Matlock posted:

Other than Harvey Wippleman, who? I know that Santino won the Miss Wrestlemania title--but that was a literal joke.

Didn’t Briscoe & Patterson feud over the Women’s Belt briefly during the Attitude Era?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LvK posted:

Wasn't there something in previews about a WCW invasion storyline? It probably has to do with that.

Exactly. Nobody ever spraypainted WCW on the belt because that was an nWo thing and it was supposed to show how disrespectful that "gang of thugs" was.

Doing an nWo storyline would have been limited so THQ was pretty smart in doing a WCW invasion and using elements of the nWo with it. It all comes with the package.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Dead Snoopy posted:

Didn’t Briscoe & Patterson feud over the Women’s Belt briefly during the Attitude Era?

No, they feuded over the Hardcore Title while dressed in drag.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LvK posted:

There's a WCW invasion in RTWM.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rusty Shackelford posted:

No, they feuded over the Hardcore Title while dressed in drag.

Interrupting their King of the Ring match was truly Crash Holly's finest moment.

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax

Dickeye posted:

The figure four is real as hell and I hate it and anybody that uses it.

A few new years ago we decided to make a pool of money that would go to anyone that could last longer than 5 seconds in a proper figure four.

I don't think anyone made it past three.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

BAN DICKEYE posted:

There's a WCW invasion in RTWM.

Lead by a suited Kevin Nash no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
no WCW was sprayed on the NWO's personal belt by goldberg wasnt it?