Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Yea, apparently there are apps in the Amazon App Store that won't run on the Fire. With no filters in place I see this as not being a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That's gonna go over like a house on... fire. v:v:v

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure I've been saying that their lovely custom fork would cause issues since the day they released details about it. Good job Amazon!

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Codiusprime posted:

Yea, apparently there are apps in the Amazon App Store that won't run on the Fire. With no filters in place I see this as not being a good thing.

I highly doubt they're not going to have filters in place. But hey, I've seen dumber stuff from other companies.

Edit: And the Fire as it is is not geared towards us or other techies, so I'm not sure why this is such a huge surprise. Does it suck? Yeah. But 95% of the people buying this a)will never know about it and b)wouldn't give a gently caress if they did.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I highly doubt they're not going to have filters in place. But hey, I've seen dumber stuff from other companies.

Edit: And the Fire as it is is not geared towards us or other techies, so I'm not sure why this is such a huge surprise. Does it suck? Yeah. But 95% of the people buying this a)will never know about it and b)wouldn't give a gently caress if they did.

Yeah, it's meant as an iPad killer so it's geared toward the more casual crowd. I have to give them props for officially supporting Netflix though, I would have figured they wouldn't want the competition with Amazon VOD.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
A new version of HD Widgets was released which is compatible for non Honeycomb devices. I'm using it on my CM7 TouchPad and it's pretty decent. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have the same versatility on Gingerbread as it does on Honeycomb.

https://market.android.com/details?id=cloudtv.hdwidgets

jakeledel
Jul 17, 2003

Is there any word on an Amazon Video on Demand app releasing with the Fire?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

FYI, this news came in about the fire today.

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/11/kindle-fire-wont-run-all-android-apps-amputates-apis/

Apparently it's not API complete so some Android apps won't be able to run on it.

Not sure why this is news. They've said from the very beginning that Google apis aren't included, which includes the mapping hooks social/location apps use. Not to mention the hardware limitations (No Microphone, No GPS etc).

https://developer.amazon.com/help/faq.html#KindleFire

big mean giraffe posted:

Pretty sure I've been saying that their lovely custom fork would cause issues since the day they released details about it. Good job Amazon!

It will also bring in developers who would've otherwise avoided the platform, who will then also submit to the Android Market "just because". Once it's upgraded to ICS/its larger successors are released, it will drive tablet optimized layouts into the platform.

It's an overall net positive.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is it bad that for all new android devices (except for nexus stuff), all my hopes and dreams are pinned on Cyanogen coming to that device?

A fully functional CM7/9 port is the only way I could see getting a Fire.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Why isn't gmail getting push mail any longer? A week or two ago I just stopped getting mail automatically. I have to manually refresh now.

I have plenty of free space on internal storage. I heard that could be a possible cause.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

Yes I'm sure you were the only one to see this coming.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ConfusedUs posted:

Why isn't gmail getting push mail any longer? A week or two ago I just stopped getting mail automatically. I have to manually refresh now.

I have plenty of free space on internal storage. I heard that could be a possible cause.

Clear out the cache and the data for the app. It just messes up from time to time.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes I'm sure you were the only one to see this coming.

Don't be a dick just because you can.

edit: Anyone see this yet? Beautiful new free to-do app called Any.DO, syncs with GTasks... here's the full info from the app page.

quote:

Any.DO helps you get things done with your friends in a simple & elegant way.
Any.DO is a free to-do list that helps you get things done with your friends in a simple & elegant way. With Any.DO you can easily capture, organize & sync all the things you need to do. It's free, simple & fun!
Capture
- Speak your mind to quickly capture tasks on the go using voice recognition
- Typing on mobile keyboard is a mess; Any.DO will try to predict what you need to do, automatically.
Organize
- Keep track of what you need to do, anytime, anywhere.
- Drag & drop tasks to plan your agenda.
- Sort tasks by date, folder or priorities.
- Set reminders for the things you MUST do.
- Add notes or use them as sub-tasks
- Swipe a task to mark it as complete.
- Shake to clear the completed tasks.
- Check out your to-do's from your home screen with one of Any.DO cool widgets.
Sync
- Sync with Google to have all your to-do's in your inbox
- Backup of your tasks on your SD card.
Personalize
- Choose your own theme (White or Black)
- Add, Edit and Delete task folders
- Invite friends, family and colleagues to get things done, together (from collaborating on the grocery list with your spouse, planning your next vacation or syncing on an office project).
- Get notified when the shared task gets updated.
- Any.DO's next versions will sync to: Taskos to do list, Todo list, Todo, Task List, Remember the milk, gTasks, RTM, Producteev, Springpad, Catch, ColorNote Notepad Notes, Google Calendar, Astrid, Outlook, Microsoft Exchange, Any DO and more...

It really is beautiful and well designed, I uninstalled Astrid like 2 minutes after I first ran this program.

isochronous fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 11, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

isochronous posted:

Don't be a dick just because you can.

edit: Anyone see this yet? Beautiful new free to-do app called Any.DO, syncs with GTasks... here's the full info from the app page.

It really is beautiful and well designed, I uninstalled Astrid like 2 minutes after I first ran this program.

Its really funny that you bring this app up because I tried it a few hours ago and it constantly forced closed.

Who knows if its the app or my lovely X2 (its probably the X2)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Working on my Liberty Rom X2. Also very pretty.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
In other news, the 1.5 update (about a week ago) to Netflix was total shitware and doesn't work for the vast majority of users, so how did they work to resolve it? Well, funny you should ask: starting a week ago, the 1.4 version of the app (which worked great!) just yelled at you about how you should probably update, and today, instead, it gives you a message that you can't access any content without updating. Not to 1.6 or 1.5.1, but to the same 1.5, that everyone is still complaining about, only now with a big dose of indignance over the forced update!

On a completely unrelated note, Netflix froze then rebooted my phone 4 times today until I gave up and read a book for my lunch break. :sigh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can anyone who uses extensive notes pro point me to a user guide or something? I bought the full version but I can't seem to get into it, I'm still working with astrid & it doesn't sync with gnotes quite well enough...

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

isochronous posted:

Anyone see this yet? Beautiful new free to-do app called Any.DO, syncs with GTasks... here's the full info from the app page.

I installed this and it immediately attempted to read my contacts and my call log (and has since tried again, multiple times). I know I'm probably just being paranoid, but I don't like it when apps want to look at that stuff when I haven't done anything that would require them to know that info.

For the record, I haven't set up any tasks at all. I simply opened the app and went through its little tutorial and then closed it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The Market is showing an update for Skype, but when it tries to install it, I get an error about an unsigned package. Is this as scary as it sounds, or is it just something that's broken?

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
So I'm pissed enough at swype that I am looking for a new keyboard. Any suggestions? I still liked typing they way I did on the iphone so something like that would be fine.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Slywalker13 posted:

So I'm pissed enough at swype that I am looking for a new keyboard. Any suggestions? I still liked typing they way I did on the iphone so something like that would be fine.

Have you tried out Swiftkey?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BathroomTile posted:

Seconded. It's great.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

NewcastleBrown posted:

I installed this and it immediately attempted to read my contacts and my call log (and has since tried again, multiple times). I know I'm probably just being paranoid, but I don't like it when apps want to look at that stuff when I haven't done anything that would require them to know that info.

For the record, I haven't set up any tasks at all. I simply opened the app and went through its little tutorial and then closed it.

I wouldn't worry. It accesses your contacts for auto-fill suggestions while typing.

For example, when I start typing "send email to John" it autofills suggestions for the John Smiths in my address book. You can click the automatically suggested entry for quick filling of information.

Pretty neat and doesn't seem :tinfoil: to me.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

NewcastleBrown posted:

Here's their privay policy: http://www.any.do/privacy . They're a pretty well established company with a lot of apps to their name, so I'm not too worried about it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Slywalker13 posted:

Gingerbread keyboard if you type fast, SwiftKey for slow.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Gingerbread keyboard if you type fast, SwiftKey for slow.

I used to use Swype in portrait and gingerbread in landscape, but go keyboard replaced gingerbread. I love how well it works

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Have you guys tried Thumb Keyboard?

I'm using it on both my phone and tablet...I like it better than SwiftKey,Swype, or Stock Gingerbread (and Stock Gingerbread was my preference for a long time...)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Throwing a vote in for Thumb Keyboard. Also one for Hacker's Keyboard, which is a full PC qwerty keyboard in case you need to remote into a real computer or whatever. Don't use Hacker's too often but when you do need it, nothing else will do. Both have real loving arrow keys and a 'delete' that is not right next to 'enter'.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
There is a free app for Android that is supposed to enable you to recover files off a SD card, even if the file had been deleted. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BathroomTile posted:

Trying that right now, it's pretty neat. I'm not sure how much I trust it, though. An app that collects everything you type AND regularly phones home is kind of too suspicious to use long-term.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Cardiovorax posted:

Trying that right now, it's pretty neat. I'm not sure how much I trust it, though. An app that collects everything you type AND regularly phones home is kind of too suspicious to use long-term.

Don't forget that it asks to read your email, your Facebook, your Twitter and your blog!

Seriously though, SwiftKey is awesome. They probably have the best support I've seen, and are one of the most popular keyboard apps.

BUY ME A CAT
Oct 18, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but it does raise some serious concerns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcrmUTJZWw

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BUY ME A CAT posted:

:stare:

Did you... did you at least put it out before your apartment caught fire?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BUY ME A CAT posted:

What concerns? I mean, what did you expect would happen if you put a lithium ion battery in a microwave? They're not really meant for that.

BUY ME A CAT
Oct 18, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kyrosiris posted:

:stare:

Did you... did you at least put it out before your apartment caught fire?

Haha yes, I had a sink full of water ready to dump the phone in. I was trying to keep my composure while filming as the phone was on fire.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Congratulations on destroying a working phone, also, clean your microwave & if you breathed that smoke in you've now got cancer.

dumbmrblah
May 31, 2003

BUY ME A CAT posted:

So why exactly did you do this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Is it bad that for all new android devices (except for nexus stuff), all my hopes and dreams are pinned on Cyanogen coming to that device?

A fully functional CM7/9 port is the only way I could see getting a Fire.

Pay an extra $50 for the Nook Tablet (once it gets CM7), better hardware and better unlocking track record.

Cakefool posted:

Congratulations on destroying a working phone, also, clean your microwave & if you breathed that smoke in you've now got cancer.

Seconding this, you just basically burned $200ish dollars.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Any recommendations for a Japanese keyboard and dictionary app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kyrosiris posted:

It's worth nothing that Estrong's File Explorer can both work with Dropbox and syncs properly down to your desktop/laptop/dog.

And it's free.
Mind. loving. BLOWN. Hot drat this is awesome.

BUY ME A CAT posted:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

• Locked thread