Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Mannequin posted:

You've probably seen these in SAD so they're kind of double posts, but I like to think of them as portraits even though they were impromptu and taken on the street. This kid was cool because he is also a photographer and really wanted me to get the shots. The first one he blinked so I took another and he could sense I wasn't totally satisfied with it, so he encouraged me to take one last shot, which was this one. It's a bit blurry because I was using slow film and had to use 1/30 and the mirror slap on the Hasselblad is noticeable at those speeds (should have locked up the mirror). But anyway, he was cool and I think this worked out well. I think he also makes for a good model because he was easy to work with and his expression was good.

This chick was cool because she really posed well for me in the second shot. She's an actress (fairly prominent one) and I didn't even know it at the time. So it was cool of her to be cooperative.

The first shot was on the left after I said "hey, do you mind if I took your photo?" She kind of turned and smiled a bit but I wasn't totally happy with it. So I asked her to step out more into the middle of the park and put the bag down, and she struck a professional pose and I think the shot really worked.

I'm not thrilled with the background elements, like the statue on the left, the tree on the right and the man in the white shirt walking. But she carries the strength of the picture so I think, overall, it works. I am now at a point, having done lots of street shots (many not even posted), that I really want to work with real models and real stylists and make photographs that I think are interesting, but under my full control. I want to do a lot with poses and so now that's where my focus is going to be I think (or maybe later in the spring/early summer next year). I just restructured my modelmayhem profile last night (it's still not great, but it's a huge improvement from what it was), and so I guess I'm going to jump into that whole thing next. I am both terrified and excited at the same time.

These are all great, and the girl is an actress from Pan Am right? I love your street portraits, but I'm really looking forward to what you can do with a planned shoot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Mannequin, you've on been fire lately. You're making me really want to get a less awkward medium format setup.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Excerpt from a set I'm working on, aside from the incredibly generic subject matter/tone is there anything technically wrong with this? I've just bought a new laptop and while I'm using my old monitor (and it looks pretty good on that) I'm still worried.

EDIT: Also Mannequin you are making me super excited for the arrival of my MF camera! Great work.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

XTimmy posted:

Excerpt from a set I'm working on, aside from the incredibly generic subject matter/tone is there anything technically wrong with this? I've just bought a new laptop and while I'm using my old monitor (and it looks pretty good on that) I'm still worried.

EDIT: Also Mannequin you are making me super excited for the arrival of my MF camera! Great work.

That's a nice picture! I would remove the top right leaf since it's fairly easy to clone out imo :)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I like the light in that, also yes, get rid of that leaf.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Wow, Manequin, You shoot people even better than you shot guns! Bravo.

These are nowhere near as good. But it's relevent to the thread since I mentioned doing this new shoot with her.

Karolanne by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr
^- No idea why she had zebra shoes.

I told her I could make the background any color I wanted. She choosed pink. Oh well.

Overall, I don't dislike the session but I have GOT to stop using seamless. It's boring poo poo. I don't know how the local photographs do it, to be still using white seamless in 3+ years of photography. Ugh.

Snow is about to drop around here though, so I'll have to scout inside areas.

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 7, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

IsaacNewton posted:

Overall, I don't dislike the session but I have GOT to stop using seamless. It's boring poo poo. I don't know how the local photographs do it, to be still using white seamless in 3+ years of photography. Ugh.

Snow is about to drop around here though, so I'll have to scout inside areas.

Yeah, agree. I can't stand seamless. It's good to know how to deal with it but give me a dingy brick wall or any other surface and I'd rather shoot on it than an infinity cove or seamless set up.

Your model unfortunately has a bit of a case of posing how she thinks models should pose rather than how they should.

With posing people sitting I'd suggest always having them scoot to the edge and really straighten their back - I think her shoulders are rolled a bit too far forward in both.

I think it's hard to pull off good crouching shots I think it'd look better if she was on one knee rather than awkwardly looking like she's squatting to do a poo.

I think your lighting is solid - just push poses more. Have her get looser and have some fun. It'll take some of the boring out of the seamless.

Sorry if any of that came across too harsh. You're doing a great job from everything you've posted so far - just keep shooting.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Paragon8, I post this exactly for those critics! Thank you so much. Those pointers will be in the back of my head on future shoots as were the others. :)

I have some with her on her knee but her expression is poo poo and I'd have to photoshop her belly -- it looks strange, I'll post in the proper thread on how I should do it. :( I also did miss the focus on what would be otherwise very nice keepers. gently caress!

^= That's with the knee down. I don't like how her right left is so folded up. Should have caught that.

Missed the focus on this one, but oh well

Focus is off on this one as well, one of her eye is out of focus.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
^------------- Love the headshot / post process work :)

I find it harder to work poses in a studio since you don't have much to work with. Outside you just scan the place and find poses that works with the place itself, it's a whole new game.

As for my stuff.. not so much happening right now but here's a portrait of a girl I enjoyed.

IMG_3156 by avoyer, on Flickr

I was helping a friend for her project so I didn't end up snapping that many pictures.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Now that I have moved to LA, I have been trying to teach myself how to do headshots. It has been a learning experience. So far I've worked with a fellow goon two separate times.

Here's the headshot he paid a "headshot photographer" several hundred dollars for. She also gave him a disc of over 1000 images and told him to pick the ones he liked best for her to "retouch."

Here's my first attempt where I didn't even know what the gently caress and made a lot of really poor decisions, both in how I shot it and edited it. It's already horribly embarrassing to look at. He actually said he already liked it better than the one he paid for, but if I wanted to try again then he was game. I think this is the point where most people call it good and just accept that people will pay for this level of work.

I was determined to do better, though. Here's my most recent effort, taken roughly two weeks after the previous one.

Still not all the way where I want to be, but I'm getting there.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
A "professional" did that first shot? Ridiculous.

EDIT: Not a big fan of your first attempt. There's really no lighting happening on his face, and it seems a touch underexposed. Also don't care for his expression- the closed-mouth smile isn't working for him. Watch the separation of his hair and the background though. Your second shot is superior all-around, for obvious reasons. Nicely done.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 7, 2011

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

McMadCow posted:

A "professional" did that first shot? Ridiculous.

EDIT: Not a big fan of your first attempt. There's really no lighting happening on his face, and it seems a touch underexposed. Also don't care for his expression- the closed-mouth smile isn't working for him. Watch the separation of his hair and the background though. Your second shot is superior all-around, for obvious reasons. Nicely done.

I was a little flabbergasted when I found out it wasn't a friend taking intro camera classes that did the first. He said a bunch of his friends recommended her too. Then I shot with a girl today who paid $500 for headshots earlier in the week with a photographer her agent highly recommended. The photographer told her she had a bad haircut (insulting the subject is always a good way to make them feel comfortable, I have found) and took her locations where there was too much wind and her hair is a mess in all of them. I'm honestly amazed how easy it seems to be for someone to be a jackass and a bad photographer and still get people to pay several hundred dollars for an hour or two of their time.

Yeah, my first attempt is terribad and reminds me of poo poo I took when I first got my camera and had no idea how to do any post work. I'm embarrassed I did that just a couple weeks ago, but I take some solace in the fact that I could tell how bad it was pretty quickly. The main reason I shared it was to show the contrast and how quickly you can learn from your mistakes if you're willing to.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
You're cutting it kind of close with depth of field there.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Cross_ posted:

You're cutting it kind of close with depth of field there.

There are a few things I'd change if I took the shot again, but I wouldn't touch the aperture. I don't think any important details have been lost/are close to being lost. What specifically is bothering you? The tip of his nose is on the cusp, but not to the point where I think it's distracting.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

There are a few things I'd change if I took the shot again, but I wouldn't touch the aperture. I don't think any important details have been lost/are close to being lost. What specifically is bothering you? The tip of his nose is on the cusp, but not to the point where I think it's distracting.

DOF is fine to me, I would clone out the button clasps and rotated him a bit so his other ear would show a bit more. Since it's a tight crop he looks like he's either really stocky or very hunchbacked. For that pose you may want to pull back a bit.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Like I mentioned, I'll be shooting someone for the first time on Thursday. We're going to an old mental hospital. I'm pretty nervous on how to handle it.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

the posted:

Like I mentioned, I'll be shooting someone for the first time on Thursday. We're going to an old mental hospital. I'm pretty nervous on how to handle it.

Don't be, be friendly, be yourself, provided yourself is not a massive rear end in a top hat. If your model is a professional she's probably worked with people who are pretty godawful personality wise. Your best bet is to take your time, think about what you're doing and just keep a positive attitude.

My first ever real modelling shoot involved a group of upwards of three girls ALL at once, all in full zombie makeup and all energetic as gently caress.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

the posted:

Focus on your vision and what you see in your head in terms of making the photograph. Ask yourself, "How would the model look good in this room here or by this window there?" etc. Think about those things and then you will be able to give direction and feel less nervous. Have confidence in your ideas. And if they don't work, don't be discouraged. Change them around and try something new.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I can't believe you got Kate from Pan Am in a candid photo, Mannequin. Jeez, some guys get all the luck.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the posted:

don't make jokes about killing them or reference being in a mental hospital unless they start.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

IsaacNewton posted:

I told her I could make the background any color I wanted. She choosed pink. Oh well.

These aren't bad overall, but there's just some nitpicky things to adjust.

Her arm in this pose kills me. It's too far from the body, and the wrist is bent in a hard L that I've found doesn't work for women. Visually, it 'stops' the arm, and makes it look shorter. I would say put both hands on her knee, ask her to sit up, and zoom in a bit.

Also, that half-smile thing in 4 of the 5 photos just feels out of place. The black and white headshot in your second post is great.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

don't make jokes about killing them

:laffo: Solid advice, now it has to be the first thing he does, hope you're happy.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

:laffo: Solid advice, now it has to be the first thing he does, hope you're happy.

well I'm hoping that it'll linger in his brain so all he can think about on the day is making jokes about murdering people in an insane asylum

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Our biggest photo project to date.. 7 models of various experience (one's been doing it for 5 years, one's been doing it for 3 weeks), and multiple makeup artists.

Talk about a crazy weekend of shooting.

Each person was shot with the same lighting set up for consistency. I wanted something straight on so it'd be the same for all, and this was the most interesting I could come up with.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Nice, I dig that.. good production values.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Tip of nose on the near end. Ear and hair are going soft on the far end (more noticeable in your first photo). It's not a distraction in those two photos. Just saying I don't think you gain much by going wide, and you risk losing sharpness and increase the chance for missing focus.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

RangerScum posted:

Nice, I dig that.. good production values.

Cheers.
Actual cost: The orange juice and cookies you see on our kitchen bench in the set up shot :]

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
^^^^^ That lighting set up gives me an idea for a shoot I have coming up, thank you.

Partially finished the set I was bitching about before

Heather 1 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Heather 2 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Not sure about the tattoo but from conversing with her she's pretty proud of it so I left it in.

Heather-6 by TimFPictures, on Flickr
Different style to the first four in the set, I quite like the colour and tone of it, feels kind of old and rustic. Must remember to take my MF camera down to that locale sometime can't get the softness of tone I want on digital.

Rest are on Flickr

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Drewski posted:

We posed her against this tree and she said it was too bad that the letters carved in the heart weren't her and her boyfriend's initials. I told her I could possibly fix it in photoshop. Is it super obviously fake?

Yeah it looks pretty fake. Mainly because of how big and obvious it is. Fade it a lot and make it lighter.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I reprocessed some old ones. I really struggle with b&w conversions.

IMG_0090-3 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0042 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0010-2-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

Also, XTimmy, I really like that last one! The colours are really nice, and her expression is the best of the three, in my opinion.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

CarrotFlowers posted:

I reprocessed some old ones. I really struggle with b&w conversions.

IMG_0090-3 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0042 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0010-2-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

I really like what you did with the B&W conversions. I just wish your people weren't so friendly looking. You compositions are very warm and your models are obviously very comfortable and I'm sure they like them very much, but beyond that I'd encourage you to add some inaccessibility to your shots. They'll be much more compelling to look at for more people.

Please don't take that as an attack, either, but more like a challenge. You're nailing what you're going for with these, I'd just like to see you go for something more.

Anyway, printed this tonight:

Deluxe by McMadCow, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting this from SAD. Normally I'm more of a macro and still-life shooter but I happened to do a portraiture photoshoot with a friend and here's one of the shots from it, a cliche thin DOF "eyes sharp, ears blur" photo:

Eyes Wide Open by alkanphel, on Flickr

Bigfoots Blunder
Aug 23, 2007

XTimmy posted:

I love this one. The sheet. The color. The flow.

I don't have much experience shooting portraits (or anything, at this point), but I took a few photos for a friend yesterday. We were in a space normally used for interview videos, thus the mundane black background. Had a good time tinkering with the lights.

IMG_3563.jpg by willcolbert1, on Flickr

IMG_3535.jpg by willcolbert1, on Flickr

I'm fairly happy with how they turned out, although he ended up wanting a more grungy lomo look. I guess I'll just use my phone next time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You did great with the lighting, but I'm not sure I like his expression or off camera focus in either. Good job.

Bigfoots Blunder
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks. I definitely need to work on my interaction/direction... didn't do nearly enough of either.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

XTimmy posted:

Not sure about the tattoo but from conversing with her she's pretty proud of it so I left it in.

Different style to the first four in the set, I quite like the colour and tone of it, feels kind of old and rustic. Must remember to take my MF camera down to that locale sometime can't get the softness of tone I want on digital.

Rest are on Flickr

Loooooooooovely picture! I love the posture/vibe. It gives me a lot of ideas :)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

McMadCow posted:

I really like what you did with the B&W conversions. I just wish your people weren't so friendly looking. You compositions are very warm and your models are obviously very comfortable and I'm sure they like them very much, but beyond that I'd encourage you to add some inaccessibility to your shots. They'll be much more compelling to look at for more people.

Please don't take that as an attack, either, but more like a challenge. You're nailing what you're going for with these, I'd just like to see you go for something more.

Haha, yeah they are pretty friendly people...that shoot in particular was for "nice" shots, but I am getting antsy for doing some moody, or like you said, more inaccessible ones (that is a great term). I have a lot of ideas, but I am not so sure any of my friends would be willing to model what they might think of as "weird" things because it's not a straight up smiley portrait. We've got one more silly/fun shoot planned for next weekend and I'm hoping that during that I might be able to get some different styles to ease them into it. The thing is, typically as soon as we move away from friendly, happy, smiley photos, they all get this really goofy look on their face like they're trying too hard. I need to work on moving them away from that.

I also have no idea how to contact people who might be more open to artsier photos, in case none of my friends want to participate. I'm thinking about just putting a call out on fb and seeing if anyone responds, if not...Model Mayhem? Just thinking about contacting strangers gives me some anxiety because I really don't feel like I'm at that level, and I don't really have a portfolio of artsier pictures to show them.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

If you feel like you're not a capable photograph then you can go to model mayem and check out your local pro photographers. I can guarantee you are 100 times better than any of them. Just go and do it! You wont regret it, plus it will be new faces and challenges.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Printed this one tonight, same model.

Back to the Ocean by McMadCow, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

XTimmy posted:

^^^^^ That lighting set up gives me an idea for a shoot I have coming up, thank you.

Partially finished the set I was bitching about before

Heather 1 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Heather 2 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Rest are on Flickr

I really like this first one. the tonal range is great, almost painterly.