Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Good Will Punting posted:

That's what I was thinking, because swapping DVI is significantly more painstaking than swapping, say, HDMI.

Is there a DVI to DisplayPort adaptor kinda deal?
The adapter exists, but it's costly. VGA and HDMI will be virtually the same as far as lag goes, and since most of what the XBox puts out is kinda a muddy mess anyhow (by PC standards), you might as well just go with whatever connection is most convenient for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

My boss is taking away my 27" cinema display I'm using on my Mac Pro at work, and I need to replace it with a really fuzzy budget. Since I probably can't afford another 2560x1440 monitor I wanted to replace it with dual-portrait monitors. I have however been informed that I should replace it with a screen that "looks nice like Apple computers, not like ugly PCs." He is apparently quite picky about TN vs IPS although in his mind its Apple vs the world. Since I don't actually care about having a TN screen I don't think I actually care about using an old 6-bit IPS screen, and he would probably be fine with just the improved viewing angles, I was looking at using two of there ASUS VS2229H-P screens wiht the Planar dual monitor stand, but I cannot find a single review of that monitor anywhere on the internet.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

"looks nice like Apple computers, not like ugly PCs."

Seriously? I hope your boss doesn't run the company.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ask your boss why he's loving with your workstation?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

"looks nice like Apple computers, not like ugly PCs."
Really? Tell him he should give you the ACD back if he wants something that looks like Apple, because every other monitor in existance looks like an "ugly PC." Anyhow, for the monitor in question, without any in-depth reviews to go on, I can only speculate based off the rest of the lineup. Which is to say that they're price-conscious, competent, but not top-of-the-line monitors. They'd be fine for normal office work or whatever you're doing with them, but may not be the best choice if you're doing high-end content creation or printing. They will probably not look as good, visually, as your ACD did.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Ask your boss why he's loving with your workstation?

Oh, he's taking the ACD to use in his office so that it can look more impressive there instead of in this little windowless box I work in.

Also we're not in a company, this is academia where you look like you don't have any grant money or success if you don't have a giant rear end stainless steel rectangle on your desk.

I guess there was the impression I was complaining, I'm perfectly fine with multiple monitors instead of this one.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Oh, he's taking the ACD to use in his office so that it can look more impressive there instead of in this little windowless box I work in.

Also we're not in a company, this is academia where you look like you don't have any grant money or success if you don't have a giant rear end stainless steel rectangle on your desk.

I guess there was the impression I was complaining, I'm perfectly fine with multiple monitors instead of this one.

I can vouch for the academia remark.
Here we have 16 apple 27" displays whose only purpose is SSHing into Unix. We also have a few dell ultrasharps for those who are unfortunate enough to not have a thunderbolt compatible computer (AKA. a mac)
Why we need an extra 2% color accuracy to look at green on black for 300% the cost is beyond me. I guess grant money comes easy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MeruFM posted:

Here we have 16 apple 27" displays whose only purpose is SSHing into Unix.

These are the same motherfuckers who used SGI Indy's, then Sun Ultra 10's, then Mac Pros to rlogin/telnet/xterm/SSH into whatever server they were using at the time. If they're doing it with $2,000 iMacs now that's cheaper than what it used to be.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MeruFM posted:

Why we need an extra 2% color accuracy to look at green on black for 300% the cost is beyond me. I guess grant money comes easy.
Because, much like in any other bureaucracy, if you don't look important, invariably you will be treated as unimportant. It's kinda dumb, but if your superiors aren't impressed when they enter your office, but are impressed when they walk into some other office, guess who ends up getting preferential treatment?

Also, yeah, if the grant is for $50k and you only legitimately need $40k for the study, there is absolutely zero incentive for not blowing the remaining $10k on stupid poo poo. There's usually minimal fiscal supervision, so as long as you get a reasonable result out of your study, the granting agency doesn't care if you bought everyone $5k Alienware desktops, 5 iPads each, and $3000 NEC monitors.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DrDork posted:

...doesn't care if you bought everyone $5k Alienware desktops, 5 iPads each, and $3000 NEC monitors.

I'm rocking 2 Dreamcolors* :smug:

*at work

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm rocking 2 Dreamcolors* :smug:

*at work
Buy two similarly-sized/shaped/colored monitors. Take them to work. Swap. See if anyone notices.

Seriously, though, government and bureaucratic purchasing policies are insane. My office right now is putting through a plan to buy all new office furniture for about 20 rooms and ~200 people. Total cost is around $300,000 because, apparently, when it's not your personal money no one balks at a company charging $1100 each for a leather chair you could probably get from Office Depot for $300. But we have to go with government-approved contractors, so we're stuck watching huge amounts of money disappear. On the same note, the office is being repainted by a firm who has one English speaking boss, who translates orders into Spanish for his Mexican crew-bosses, who then translate things into Chinese for the actual painters. Their "company van" is a white panel van with an 8.5x11 piece of paper with their company name duct-taped to the side. You can imagine the quality we're getting.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 9, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DrDork posted:

Buy two similarly-sized/shaped/colored monitors. Take them to work. Swap. See if anyone notices.

Seriously, though, government and bureaucratic purchasing policies are insane.

No thanks. I actually need them and I want to keep my job. We also don't have insane purchasing policies. We're rocking $10k workstations and Dreamcolors for pennies on the dollar :dukedog:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DrDork posted:

But we have to go with government-approved contractors

Ah yes, the free market. Wait, what? I hate this kind of poo poo. It's always because someone dodgy has struck a deal with someone high up. There's no way they could tell you with a straight face that they got anywhere near the best deal they could.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Ah yes, the free market. Wait, what? I hate this kind of poo poo. It's always because someone dodgy has struck a deal with someone high up. There's no way they could tell you with a straight face that they got anywhere near the best deal they could.

Yeah thank god we moved here and they gave me a credit card that I can use to buy anything less than 5 grand so I don't have to buy everything from science vendors. I have at least a little motivation to spend less money on individual things because the less I spend the more THINGS I can buy.

On the upside he told me I can buy two 21.5" UltraSharps to replace it, although not without 15 minutes of rant about how much he hates Dell.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So I've never posted in this thread before, or followed the monitor market very closely, but I'm looking to get a new one (or two) soon. I've currently got an Acer H233H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009162), which is nice but I want something more. I'm a student, but I also am starting a business and spend 4-5 hours a day doing excel/word. I do a LOT of excel spreadsheets, emails, some movies (netflix) occasionally, plenty of forum/web browsing, and maybe some civ5 or fallout 3 when I'm really bored.

There isn't anything wrong with my current monitor, but I'd like to have some more real estate so that I can come closer to attaining spreadsheet nirvana. I was looking at the 27in iMac monitor today and I really liked the size, but I've only ever had 20 and 23in monitors, and never 2 of them.

Question:
For people who do a lot of spreadsheets and web browsing, would it be better to go for a single 27in monitor (like the Dell U2711 perhaps) or two 24in monitors?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Question:
For people who do a lot of spreadsheets and web browsing, would it be better to go for a single 27in monitor (like the Dell U2711 perhaps) or two 24in monitors?

You can fit a lot of spreadsheet on a 27" unless its 1080p. Why don't you go back to where ever that 27" imac was and pull up a google spreadsheet to see if its too big?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Question:

I've been debating this a lot too, but mainly programming.

I think I've settled on a 27" with a 4:3 monitor in portrait on the side (I've got a spare 178fpf and 2007fp to try) which will give a good bit of real estate plus some separation between monitors.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

You can fit a lot of spreadsheet on a 27" unless its 1080p. Why don't you go back to where ever that 27" imac was and pull up a google spreadsheet to see if its too big?

Good idea, I'll check that out later today.

On the dell U2712M, any idea why it's 2560x1440 and not 2560x1600? Is that just the standard for this size screen? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

moon demon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 9, 2011

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

On the dell U2712M, any idea why it's 2560x1440 and not 2560x1600? Is that just the standard for this size screen? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Its 16:9 instead of 16:10, so its the same aspect ratio as 1080p.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Good idea, I'll check that out later today.

Yep, the 27" Dell and HP (I believe, posting from phone real quick) are both 16:9 panels. A minor sacrifice really since you're still at a huge-rear end 2560x1440 resolution which is awesome (and can still fit a single HD 1920x1080 frame on screen for you to work with 1:1).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Question:
It kinda depends on what you're going for. A 27" monitor gives more of a "GIANT PICTURE WALL!" effect and the ability to see more of a single page, while 2x24" gives you a little more overall space (3.68M pixels vs 4.14M) and the ability to have something up on one screen while the other monitor is occupied by a full-screen application; eg, having CivV up on one monitor and a civilopedia site up on the other. So which is "better" ends up coming down to usage and personal taste. Also 2xU2412M's are $340 cheaper than a single 27" ACD at the moment.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I went back and checked out the 27in screen again and I really liked it. I'd really need it to be 2560x1440 though and looking around online it seems the cheapest monitor with that resolution is around $815 (Dell's U2712M). I think that price-tag is going to force me into the 2 24in range. I really don't need all the professional artist perfect color stuff, I just want the best resolution possible. With that said, if I'm looking for a decent 24in monitor, is the Dell U2412M my best bet? It's $320 on Amazon, which is pushing my budget.

Are there any decent options in the $200-250 range for a 24in monitor?

I found this Asus monitor (linked below), is it really much worse than the U2412M, or is the U2412M really worth another $120?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153&Tpk=VS248H-P

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I went back and checked out the 27in screen again and I really liked it. I'd really need it to be 2560x1440 though and looking around online it seems the cheapest monitor with that resolution is around $815 (Dell's U2712M). I think that price-tag is going to force me into the 2 24in range. I really don't need all the professional artist perfect color stuff, I just want the best resolution possible. With that said, if I'm looking for a decent 24in monitor, is the Dell U2412M my best bet? It's $320 on Amazon, which is pushing my budget.

I found this Asus monitor (linked below), is it really much worse than the U2412M, or is the U2412M really worth another $120?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153&Tpk=VS248H-P

I have been emailing with a retailer thats got the U2711 refurbished in stock, for $630 shipped. They all seem to have ~2yrs warranty left, and he pulled mine to check for dead pixels.

Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with their contact info.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Walked posted:

I have been emailing with a retailer thats got the U2711 refurbished in stock, for $630 shipped. They all seem to have ~2yrs warranty left, and he pulled mine to check for dead pixels.

Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with their contact info.

I'm leaning towards the 2x 24in at this point but that's a really good deal, so hey why not. I don't have platinum so I can't PM you, but my email address is zososchwing@gmail.com. Thanks man!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

There certainly are, if you're willing to accept a TN model instead of an IPS. From what you talked about using it for (spreadsheets and occasional gaming), it doesn't sound like you really need the extra color and visual quality you get from an IPS. Don't get me wrong, they are nicer to have and look at, but if you're seriously concerned about price, you can probably do without.

And yes, the U2412M is worth the extra $120 or so. It's IPS vs TN, the Dell has a 4-port USB hub, and the Dell has a zero-pixel defect replacement policy, whereas the ASUS requires 4 bright or 6 dark pixels before they'll replace it. Admittedly if you're just looking for a cheap monitor to put Excel on, you'd probably be better off spending the $120 on booze to take the edge off of staring at Excel for hours on end.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm leaning towards the 2x 24in at this point but that's a really good deal, so hey why not. I don't have platinum so I can't PM you, but my email address is zososchwing@gmail.com. Thanks man!

Sent you the email.

I was debating the same thing, but for the 24" I wanted an IPS panel, and to get what I wanted I was looking at $330/ea or so. Figured the 27" is a better investment because I can always add a second display on as needed down the line (and will be using a 17 or 20" in portrait with it anyways)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Ended up buying 2x U2312HM from Amazon. With a dual monitor arm mount, it was around $620 shipped. Thanks everyone who helped me decide, I'll post my impressions when they arrive on Saturday!

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
Take it apart and improve it!
My ole Trinitron P991 just died a few minutes ago and I've been looking around for an appropriate replacement. I know CRTs are pretty much gone for good so I am probably going to get saddled with an LCD. I've read the OP and noticed a particular need of mine wasn't covered.

I use my computer for gaming, media(videos/music), coding, and schematic design. The trouble is I play a lot of old and new games. Older games often do not support widescreen resolutions or allow the user to alter the game resolution at all. I need a monitor that supports all standard 4:3 resolutions down to 320X240 and up to 1600X1200 without stretching the image (I am OK with the black bars on the side). I'd also like it to NOT look like poo poo while displaying resolutions outside of it's native resolution.

I've seen some LG LCDs that display some full screen resolutions almost as well as my P991 did. I don't know their models though. If anyone knows an LCD that works well at tons of resolutions lemme know. Also chime in if there is a magical CRT maker still around I can look into. Thanks!

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is so :firstworldproblem: but I'm using a 55" tv as a monitor, I mostly watch movies/tv shows but also play PC games, and for all the games it works perfectly for except FPS games, and when I'm playing them there's just a very, very slight video lag problem. It doesn't make FPS unplayable even, just kind of puts me off of playing them.

So I'm contemplating going back to a 30" monitor, but considering they're $1,300ish I feel like I could be making a huge mistake since I'd have to go and buy another computer desk as well as the monitor, probably end up spending $1,500 or more.

Has anyone else went big screen display then back to a smaller monitor? Did you hate it or end up preferring it?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Ended up buying 2x U2312HM from Amazon. With a dual monitor arm mount, it was around $620 shipped. Thanks everyone who helped me decide, I'll post my impressions when they arrive on Saturday!

Somehow these came from Indiana to Los Angeles in about 20hrs, so I've already got em all set up and stuff! The colors are definitely sharper. I noticed that even the thread tags are brighter. Blues are especially sharp. With the surprisingly sturdy stand I bought (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R9HQLI/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details), these two bad boys looks awesome. Overall I am very impressed.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

298298 posted:

This is so :firstworldproblem: but I'm using a 55" tv as a monitor, I mostly watch movies/tv shows but also play PC games, and for all the games it works perfectly for except FPS games, and when I'm playing them there's just a very, very slight video lag problem. It doesn't make FPS unplayable even, just kind of puts me off of playing them.

Does your TV have a "game mode" or some variant thereof, and have you put it in it? Most decent TVs have some setting to cut down on processing to reduce input lag for games.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
From what I goggled, a 5ms response time monitor and a 2ms response time monitor is not noticeable even when gaming?

Just need some goon confirmation if possible

edit: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=61956&promoid=1248

This is the one I have my eye on btw.

VVVVVV Thank you VVVVVVVV

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 12, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MikeC posted:

From what I goggled, a 5ms response time monitor and a 2ms response time monitor is not noticeable even when gaming?

Just need some goon confirmation if possible

You will not notice any difference in response time once you dip below ~15ms. As in, a 1ms and a 9ms "screen" will effectively be the same, because at that point the "bottleneck" in displaying frames shifts over to other parts of the hardware and software. It is very possible to have a 2ms monitor actually be slower than a 5ms one if the 2ms monitor has poor software/whatever else. This is how the Dell U2412m (and others like it) manage to still be as-good-or-better than many TN screens despite having an 8ms response time.

tl;dr Response times below 15ms do not directly correlate with anything in actual use. Ignore them.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
So my 6 year old 24-inch Dell (2405fp maybe?) crapped out on me this weekend. It was actually pretty cool, I was playing the SWTOR beta and it faded to black like it was being covered in paint or something. Like a transition in a "look at me, I'm awesome" PvP video on youtube. So the backlight comes on, but there's nothing displayed, not even the monitor settings/configuration screens.

Would it be worth my money to try to get it fixed? I was reading the OP and it seems like the U2412M would be a comparable replacement, and that's within my budget. Does Dell generally do Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals? I'm willing to stick it out till then if it would net me a better discount.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Aexo posted:

Does Dell generally do Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals? I'm willing to stick it out till then if it would net me a better discount.

I don't pretend to know the ins-and-outs of the monitor market, but with the research I did this week into past years deals and whatnot, it looks like Dell only puts up cheaper models on their Black Friday sales. The only way you'd be able to get much of a discount is if Dell/Amazon/Newegg were to throw up a percentage discount on monitors, which I didn't see when looking through their deals last year. They only seem to give deals on specific products. I pretty much concluded that even if they were to discount these high-end monitors, it wouldn't be worth the wait anyway. Between waiting until Black Friday and the shipping fiasco that always ensues afterwards, I just said screw it and bought from amazon.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Aexo posted:

Would it be worth my money to try to get it fixed? I was reading the OP and it seems like the U2412M would be a comparable replacement, and that's within my budget. Does Dell generally do Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals? I'm willing to stick it out till then if it would net me a better discount.
Fixing LCDs can be tricky, and unless you're good with small components and general electrical work, it's likely that you'd end up doing more harm than good (I speak from experience). It's almost certainly not worth having a monitor that old professionally serviced, as well.

As for the U2412M, while it might go on sale, consider that it is currently on sale for $50 off, which is 15%. I doubt they would discount it any more than that, or if they did, it wouldn't be much--maybe 20%, so an extra $25, and then again they might just put it back up to normal price. So I'm gonna go with chupacabraTERROR here and suggest that waiting in hopes of a better price is probably not worth it. Now that's not to say that other monitors won't go on sale (I expect some sort of deal on ASUS's entire NewEgg lineup, for example), but not the U2412M.

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005
Speaking of discounts, I don't think I've seen this mentioned: if you're a member of AAA and interested in any Dell monitor remember that your membership gives you 10% off all of their monitors on top of whatever the current sale price happens to be. So you can buy a U2412M right now for $315 with the discount.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Yeah, unfortunately, Dell is saying the $50 off is the EPP discount for being a AAA member.

e:10% is for systems, according to the AAA site.

Ah well. Pulled the trigger on the U2412M, used the saved cash to bump the warranty up to 5 years.

Side note: I meant would it be worth spending the money to get someone to fix it. I'm not that hardcore of a geek to know how to fix a monitor.

Aexo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 12, 2011

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Completed my setup today with a new 27" thunderbolt display to compliment the 27" imac I picked up last week.

Left to right: Dell 3007wfp-hc, Dell 3007wfp-hc, Apple imac 27" 3.1ghz i5, Apple thunderbolt display

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005

Aexo posted:

Yeah, unfortunately, Dell is saying the $50 off is the EPP discount for being a AAA member.

e:10% is for systems, according to the AAA site.

It's a little convoluted to get it working. You have to log in to the AAA website, search the affiliates for Dell, select the offer for 2/5/10% off Electronics and Accessories and click Redeem. It will take you to a Dell portal on the AAA domain where you click "Shop Now" and it will, finally, take you to a portal on the Dell domain with codes you apply at checkout. Copy the code and shop as normal. The code will not work if you don't do it this way.

I just tried it and the total comes to $314.10 before shipping. You could probably sweet talk Customer Service and tell them you forgot to apply your discount, if it's worth it to you.