Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fil5000 posted:

I went to a meeting with one of our technology suppliers last week and the guy presenting looked EXACTLY like Mr Show era PFT. I mean, EXACTLY. It was incredibly distracting - I'm in the UK so I suspect no-one else in the room would have been thinking the same thing.

The FedEx guy who delivers to our office building looks alarmingly like Louis CK. I do a double-take every time.

Also the UPS guy kinda looks like Rich Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I've never seen Mr. Show. I was out of the country when it aired. Does it stand the test of time?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

NotWearingPants posted:

I've never seen Mr. Show. I was out of the country when it aired. Does it stand the test of time?

I just watched it for the first time like 6 months ago. I'd say it stands up pretty well.

Although watching an American comedy series that was pre 9/11 is kind of weird, thinking about it.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

NotWearingPants posted:

Some of it makes references to things that were popular at the time, but it's mostly still incredibly hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-rGnI9XNo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uco5Ed-5y2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYvHpVwIqYY (ignore the first 10 seconds of this one)

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Edit: Also, Auckerman actually looks a bit uncomfortable there - I guess he's not often on that side of an interview.

Yeah, I thought he was kind of a dick, but it looked like he might have just been nervous. I mean, it was 5 minutes before he was gonna go out in front of a relatively large crowd which I doubt he does too often. That or he could just be kind of a dick anyways. Who knows!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

dog poop n doritos posted:

Yeah, I thought he was kind of a dick, but it looked like he might have just been nervous. I mean, it was 5 minutes before he was gonna go out in front of a relatively large crowd which I doubt he does too often. That or he could just be kind of a dick anyways. Who knows!

He could have been more pleasant, but I think LA people get tired of being asked for project specifics and casual scoops all the time. This is a BS guess though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Binowru posted:

Some of it makes references to things that were popular at the time, but it's mostly still incredibly hilarious.

Their FF Woodycooks sketch is a work of art, whether you know who it's based on or not. Not much of what they did is too heavily reliant on news and pop culture specific to when it was created, but even when it is they're fairly cleverly crafted, so it doesn't detract from it too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuPXymJEldE

And to however asked about the series, just avoid the movie. This isn't just coming from me, Bob and David loathe it.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Mr. Show is completely honestly better if not at least on par with Monthy Python

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
This is my favorite sketch from Mr. Show and it even stars Hot Saucerman!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anm44OEkFFk

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Also we can't have a Mr. Show discussion without what might be the most genius sketch of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrlS9_n8GX4

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DangerDummy! posted:

Their FF Woodycooks sketch is a work of art, whether you know who it's based on or not. Not much of what they did is too heavily reliant on news and pop culture specific to when it was created, but even when it is they're fairly cleverly crafted, so it doesn't detract from it too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuPXymJEldE

And to however asked about the series, just avoid the movie. This isn't just coming from me, Bob and David loathe it.

Run Ronnie Run is one of those films that, if memory serves, was shafted by the studio and doesn't bear much resemblance to what the writers were trying to do.

But yeah, the series holds up really, really well. I recently watched series 3 and 4 and you'd barely notice it's a decade old.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Here's a classic with a pudgy Paul F. Tompkins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYvHpVwIqYY

It's great, it's crack, it gets you really high.

But it's really worth watching whole episodes - the best episodes of Mr. Show build on themselves.

wafflesnsegways fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 12, 2011

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Run Ronnie Run is one of those films that, if memory serves, was shafted by the studio and doesn't bear much resemblance to what the writers were trying to do.

I just tried to find the essay Bob Odenkirk wrote about what happened, but no such luck. From what I remember, the director (I want to say Troy Miller) pretty much stole the film right out from underneath them and butchered it in editing without any input from Bob and David. That's just off the top of my head, though.

quote:

Mr. Show is completely honestly better if not at least on par with Monthy Python

If you put the absolute best of Python up against the best of Mr. Show (especially if you count the Python movies), then I'd say that's maybe not so. Mr. Show, however, was consistently funny throughout its run, but there was a pretty substantial chunk of Monty Python's Flying Circus that was loving dreadful.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 12, 2011

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Mr. Show was probably the best comedy anything of my generation (and I don't think it has any challengers yet) and I agree that it's more consistent, although I probably would have to think that.

In another 20-30 years when nobody gets any of Mr. Show's touchstones or references or knows what life was like before brain-internet and self piloting hovercars (and also you're in another country that wasn't exposed to a lot of lower middle-class post-Reagan American culture), I'm sure a lot of Mr. Show will be "dreadful" too. Most comedy doesn't, probably can't, age well, even stuff created by brilliant comedians.

The fact that you could probably get 8+ hours of great comedy from an English comedy troupe, the vast majority of whose work was made before the world saw 1980, is a really high standard. We're not even 15 years out from Mr. Show, and I'm not doubting that many of the sketches will hold up, but it's really apples and oranges because of our historical perspective.

Also this is just my experience but if I picked my top 5 Monty Python sketches against my top 5 Mr. Show sketches and watched them back to back, I'll have a sore jaw in both cases, but with Python I'll be hoarse and potentially pull a muscle.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Nothing I've seen in Monty Python ever goes as dark while still being as funny as the Super Pan infomercial.

http://youtu.be/HQAFv1sI6TU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

The amazing miracles part of the Run Ronnie Run movie is really funny, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvGKfoXHNUM

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
It's really tempting to compare Monty Python and Mr. Show, because Mr. Show was one of the only shows to really follow the Monty Python model. But they really are good for different reasons.

Mr. Show is very heady, and at it's best took some simple concepts and fleshed them out in amazing detail (like the prefaced call in show, or all of those mayostard commercials.) Monty Python, on the other hand, doesn't bother with things like that, but instead makes things that are so strange that they are almost meaningless, but somehow delightful. (Like the fish slapping dance, which is permanently stuck in my brain, of any Terry Gilliam cartoon.)

They do very different things, and they're both really good at what they do. It makes it hard to say which is better.

Livestock
Jan 22, 2001

TOO SEXY FOR DEMOCRACY
Not only is Mr. Show good (although the first two seasons are pretty hit and miss in my opinion), the commentary tracks are amazing throughout, sometimes better than the sketches. They're like listening to a really great CBB episode, often incorporating goofy characters and on-the-spot voiceovers of boring sketches.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
"Hello, telephone time" kills me every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjmgIMsRUfw

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I love smokin' about parails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BrB-2yB3qg

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Is anyone hoping Josh and Chuck from Stuff You Should Know start a podcast on the Max Fun network? I really like their banter and off topic conversations, even them just talking about episodes of the Simpsons they liked would be good. A hologram of John Hodgman was on the end of the previous 4 episodes of SYSK, Hodgman has referred to them as experts in an episode of JJH, on My Brother My Brother and Me they read a question from them.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
God drat it, listened to improv4humans today and it was great. Another weekly show? I'm falling behind with this; time to trim some subscription fat.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Wow. That Chris Rock interview was amazing on WTF.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

indigi posted:

:words:

All true, no doubt. I think what really set Monty Python apart from the rest of the pack by a wide goddamn margin is their films. They bat a thousand with those. Nobody can touch Life of Brian on sheer audacity and vision alone, forget about making something that sacreligious and controversial that's actually funny.

Flying Circus was amazing and way ahead of its time, but there were defifinitely some chunks of it that were a bit tepid to say the least, especially when you consider there was a whole season without the great John Cleese.

I'll end my part of this derail by saying that it's a drat shame we couldn't get a couple more decades of Graham Chapman being the amazing gay bastard he was. That's right up there with Phil Hartman and John Belushi as far as missing such a great voice in the comedy landscape under really unfortunate circumstances.

That Chris Rock interview on WTF is pretty frigging good, by the way.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
One thing about Python that helps them stand the test of time is their intelligence. They weren't afraid to be very smart in their writing. There was never any pandering.

The Philosophers World Cup is a perfect encapsulation for me of what they were all about. They manage to poke fun at philosophical figures and soccer (football) and there is a mix of very high brow and very 'common man' humor. MARX IS CLAIMING IT WAS OFFSIDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vV3QGagck

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

soggybagel posted:

Wow. That Chris Rock interview was amazing on WTF.

What did you like about it?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Just hearing Chris Rock talk a little bit and reflect on his career. Very fascinating stuff that he touched on briefly about how he doesn't think the people he worked with on SNL are racist or anything insidious. Just they didn't have a common background/short hand/cultural understanding and this ended up with him rejecting a lot of sketches where he was playing some african tribesman or something like that. I'm not articulating it as well as he. It's worth a listen just because of how accomplished rock has been.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Elizabeth Laime's appearances on CBB and DLM are, uh, not making me want to listen to her podcast. Does anyone listen to it?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

dancehall posted:

Elizabeth Laime's appearances on CBB and DLM are, uh, not making me want to listen to her podcast. Does anyone listen to it?

I've listened to a few. If the guest is someone you'd like to hear from, it can be fun, but the two hosts aren't really interesting enough to make me want to listen if it's not a guest I'd like to hear. They like to talk about how phony and weird LA is while also name dropping celebrities they've hung out with and their month-long juice diets and weekend spiritual retreats. I think they see their soundboard antics as meta making fun of dumb radio shows, but it's really annoying and unfunny. Good guests tend to get put off by it.
The PFT and Andy Daly episodes are both worth a listen, though anyone asking PFT or Andy Daly anything would be a good hour really. The Matt Besser episode is pretty funny because it seems like he doesn't really like a lot of things about the show but is trying to hide it.

Greggy fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 14, 2011

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I dunno, I like it. Their latest two episodes with Keith Powell and Grey DeLisle were pretty good. I guess the podcast isn't all that funny, but I enjoy the conversation a lot.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's just a really average show. I can't imagine anyone being psyched to listen to it (even the hosts seem kinda bored doing it), but it kills an hour in a fairly pleasant way.

Little Dum Dum Club totally should have won the Earwolf Challenge. It's a lot more entertaining.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yay! It's Monday, new podcasts for everyone!

Of course, Bill Burr and MATES are always late, but the new WTF and Comedy Bang Bang will fill the time until they post theirs.

I just finished the new WTF with Adam Scott and I want to get me some nicotine lozenges.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

soggybagel posted:

Just hearing Chris Rock talk a little bit and reflect on his career. Very fascinating stuff that he touched on briefly about how he doesn't think the people he worked with on SNL are racist or anything insidious. Just they didn't have a common background/short hand/cultural understanding and this ended up with him rejecting a lot of sketches where he was playing some african tribesman or something like that. I'm not articulating it as well as he. It's worth a listen just because of how accomplished rock has been.

I felt like Marc was trying a little too hard to force the conversation towards race with every question. Other than that, it was a pretty good interview.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Comedy Bang Bang today was really fun. Andy Daly is always so crazy with his characters. Although I do get a little tired of Scott trying to make things about insane asylums sometimes. He leans on that idea a lot.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

King Lou posted:

Comedy Bang Bang today was really fun. Andy Daly is always so crazy with his characters. Although I do get a little tired of Scott trying to make things about insane asylums sometimes. He leans on that idea a lot.

He has certain bits he repeats with each guest and it's pretty consistent. He always steers the conversation with Andy into talking about him trying to kill himself.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oh my loving god the latest guest on the Indoor Kids is almost as bad as Greg Proops at spouting bullshit pop-psy and trying to drop knowledge he gleaned from NPR while driving to work. Shut the gently caress up and let the funny people talk about video games

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

indigi posted:

Oh my loving god the latest guest on the Indoor Kids is almost as bad as Greg Proops at spouting bullshit pop-psy and trying to drop knowledge he gleaned from NPR while driving to work. Shut the gently caress up and let the funny people talk about video games

That was Dan Harmon. Dudes a bit of genius and a lot weirder than I thought he would be. He'd be interesting on Rogan's podcast.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm sure he's a comedic genius but he should leave that Psych 102 bulldozer at the door when he's on a video game podcast

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

indigi posted:

Man, that guy was somehow worse than Duncan Tressel. At least that guy talked a lot about videogames in between his bullshit theories. Stop pretending like you know anything about science because of that one time you read an article about 'the singularity'.

I take issue with comparing this douchebag to Greg Proops, though. I've never once heard him go on about any of these 'pop-psy' theories you talk about, so [citation needed]. I think you might be confusing him with Joe Rogan, who unironically believes in a lot of nonsense and pseudoscience. Proops may be an effeminate weirdo that will go on and on about ancient history or politics, but at least he isn't 100% serious about it - it's all done for laughs. You have to take what he says with a gigantic helping of salt, and he would be the first to admit that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

His podcast is about 35-40% him saying things he learned in school between the ages of 17 and 19 combined with 60% funny observations and anecdotes hilariously told. Maybe it wasn't about the same topics Harmon went on about, but it had the same "guess what I know!" tone. I couldn't deal with it, especially with how wrong/misinformed he often was when talking about ancient and prehistory (and even recent American history iirc). Granted I haven't listened since the first three, so maybe it's changed since.

• Locked thread