Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I'll pimp the CSULB BJJ club, meets like 3 times a week, cheap dues and great instructors.

Open mat saturday 2pm, no charge if you just wanna show up and learn, usually a pair of brown belts and a black belt there just rolling and teaching whoever wants to learn. Low key, and BJJ is always a good workout. Everyone is happy to teach and is pretty chill.

Monday and Tuesday evening classes, gi or no gi is cool, techniques are usually taught both ways.

I'll be there this saturday, come check it out maybe.

I'm actually in LB very near the college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm actually in LB very near the college.

Cool, if you have interest in competitive hugging, then you might like BJJ.

For real though it's loving awesome and will get you in crazy good shape. It's a god damned hard workout. Like, I did a sprint triathlon last weekend and at the end I felt roughly how I feel after an hour of really hard training.

It also reminds me of chess in terms of thinking and strategies, and in my opinion is particularly beautiful to watch when done well.

Kung fu and such are cool and all that, but among my reasons for doing martial arts is a love of sparring, and among the fightin' martial arts BJJ lets me spar hard with relatively low risk of serious injury. Especially to my face.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 10, 2011

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

kimbo305 posted:

In re sternum pain, I asked in the medical subforum because I have long stretches (several weeks) sternum pain that is helped by popping, and someone mentioned this:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

When it's flaring up, I can tell when my sternum needs a pop. If I manage to pop it, it definitely helps the pain, for whatever reason. So far my best technique is to put my arms out horizontally and try to run through a door way. Jk, but extending both arms back can frequently get that deep satisfying pop over my heart.

Holy poo poo, I've had this for a while now and didn't know it was an actual medical syndrome. Thanks for the info!

mewse
May 2, 2006

swmmrmanshen posted:

how cool would it be to say that you are the last living practitioner of a cultural practice

stupid. i'd feel stupid

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
What I want to know is what the trident in his turban is for. Headbutt techniques?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ashenai posted:

What I want to know is what the trident in his turban is for. Headbutt techniques?

It looks like it's either a knife or a comb and you're looking at the handle. Might also just be a decorative piece.

Sikhs actually have some cool military culture. They tend to go into the military at a huge rate compared to other cultures and a lot of their religious observances are about being ready for battle. i wouldn't be surprised at all if that's a legitimate martial art.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I love seeing the natural progression of understanding techniques.
Yesterday, I was drilling a little bit with a friend after class, and we did some silly 10th planet technique from half guard to get the truck, a crotchripper/electric chair or a back mount. It didn't occur to me until after I had done the technique a few times that the last time I'd tried this, a couple of years ago, I'd been completely baffled by it, and unable to get it to work. Now I picked it up after a single attempt, just because I'm somehow better at moving my body than I used to be.
Feels good, man.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yesterday, I was drilling a little bit with a friend after class, and we did some silly 10th planet technique from half guard to get the truck, a crotchripper/electric chair or a back mount. It didn't occur to me until after I had done the technique a few times that the last time I'd tried this, a couple of years ago, I'd been completely baffled by it, and unable to get it to work. Now I picked it up after a single attempt, just because I'm somehow better at moving my body than I used to be.
Feels good, man.

That's very true. One of the small thing that amazes me everytime is just how much better you get at moving on the ground without even thinking about what you're doing. I still remember the days when I needed to think before doing a scarf hold/kesa gatame and now I'll be on the ground and transition from position to position without even thinking about it because I'm looking a couple of moves in advance hoping to get a submission. The way everything now just flows naturally really amaze me.

Basically I get more amazed by the small things that get natural and automatic than by doing some sweet rear end technique that amazed me when I was beggining.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 10, 2011

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I'd count that moment of recognition where you realize you've committed a move to muscle memory so well it's instinct as one of my favorite parts of martial arts.

Basically I'm a big child who is finally able to go "wheeee I'm a ninja!"

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Bohemian Nights posted:

Feels good, man.

I'm a 10th planet nerd. Do you know how to evil rainbow your legs? It won't be useful in getting to any of the techniques you mentioned, but it does appear in a lot of places. If used in conjunction with the crotch-ripper/electric chair it'd make the submissions come a lot quicker.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Kumo Jr. posted:

I'm a 10th planet nerd. Do you know how to evil rainbow your legs? It won't be useful in getting to any of the techniques you mentioned, but it does appear in a lot of places. If used in conjunction with the crotch-ripper/electric chair it'd make the submissions come a lot quicker.

Sometime people complain that Judo techniques name are hosed up and need translation, but god drat does 10th planet doesn't make sense. It's also very hard to look most things up on google.

I've been searching for what "evil rainbow" is and I'm only get text about how evil rainbow the legs while electric chair from stoner control and crotch-ripper

:| I'm so confused now

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

KingColliwog posted:

Sometime people complain that Judo techniques name are hosed up and need translation, but god drat does 10th planet doesn't make sense. It's also very hard to look most things up on google.

I've been searching for what "evil rainbow" is and I'm only get text about how evil rainbow the legs while electric chair from stoner control and crotch-ripper

:| I'm so confused now

Eddie has terminology for everything. It's so that he can communicate precise ideas with his instructors over the internet. I've also found it extremely hard to look up names on google, because sometimes you just can't find any resources outside of first-hand instruction.

The evil rainbow comes up anytime you're in a lock-down on an opponent's leg. It's especially useful when going for a sweep for a bottom lockdown to a top-control position, but it can be used to add extra leverage to certain leg-lock submissions. It's very difficult to describe, but it's essentially rocking yourself up on to your side by using a pendulum motion with your legs which can look like a rainbow. Hence "evil rainbow".

Here's a video that's close, it'll give you an idea of what I mean.
http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/5004-Electric-Chair-Win-Grappler-s-Quest

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Kumo Jr. posted:

I hadn't seen that specific technique, but it looks very similar to the regular whip-up from the lockdown, but I'm liking the rocking motion-bit. That works for a lot of positions.

Also, KingColliwog yeah, the 10th planet technique names are beyond weird and usually not quite as intuitive sounding as like a figure four lock or armbar or something, but they're also often hilarious and refreshing in a not taking things so seriously kind of way!

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I'd count that moment of recognition where you realize you've committed a move to muscle memory so well it's instinct as one of my favorite parts of martial arts.

Yeah, I think that pretty much sums up what I was getting at, in not so many words. It's interesting to me, and hard to explain to complete beginners, how big a role muscle memory plays.
I mean, I'm sure a completely fresh white belt thinks you're making poo poo up when you say that you can do stuff without painstakingly thinking through every step, but a lot of jujitsu basics is something I can just DO now, like tying my laces or riding a bike-- of course, there's always room for refining the techniques and making sure that the technique stored in your muscle memory is the best it can be.

Completely unrelated; it went by me, but last month marks my third year with jujitsu, and holy poo poo has it changed my life for the better. People can say what they want about taking advice from the internet, and especially from goons, but god drat if I'm not glad I listened to whoever told me to take it up in W&W all those years ago.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Bohemian Nights posted:

I hadn't seen that specific technique, but it looks very similar to the regular whip-up from the lockdown, but I'm liking the rocking motion-bit. That works for a lot of positions.

Yeah I think you've got the right idea (and you've probably described it better than I have), but you use one 10th planet technique to describe another one.

It is basically a whip-up (except you can get it from more positions/submissions than just from the bottom in half guard), and it includes the pendulum motion of starting in the opposite direction that you want to go and following through with the momentum into the evil rainbow.

I should also note that you can go from an evil rainbow into a whip-up, or from a whip-up into an evil rainbow.

:)

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Here's a really stupid question, but bear with me I'm just getting started.

How much of BJJ actually requires "no strength at all"? I mean, obviously, everything goes better when you're stronger; aside from this. A lot of times my teacher says something like "and maintaining this position doesn't even require any strength! At all!" And I've heard this from many people about many different moves. It's just that everyone who says that something doesn't need strength happens to be, conveniently, really loving strong in all the muscles you'd need if the movement did indeed require strength.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Cyphoderus posted:

How much of BJJ actually requires "no strength at all"? I mean, obviously, everything goes better when you're stronger; aside from this. A lot of times my teacher says something like "and maintaining this position doesn't even require any strength! At all!" And I've heard this from many people about many different moves. It's just that everyone who says that something doesn't need strength happens to be, conveniently, really loving strong in all the muscles you'd need if the movement did indeed require strength.

All moves require some amount of strenght and in the vast majority of scenario using more strenght will make the technique better.

That being said, I've been destroyed by people much weaker than me and I have destroyed people much bigger than me. In a lot of moves, you use a lot of leverage so you don't actually need to use a lot of strenght to produce a lot of power.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I feel this way every time I instinctively foot sweep someone the moment they step off balance.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Cyphoderus posted:

You'll get frustrated for awhile, being smaller. But we have advantages that bigger guys don't: We're more mobile, we don't tire out as easily, and we can slip through tiny cracks in an enemy's defence. You'll just develop a different game to the big guys, is all. You're also going to learn the finer points of a move faster, because a big guy can sometimes force a move to work that they've only half learned, while you'll get more direct feedback and keep practicing until it's perfect. In the long term, you'll learn better habits.

Cheer up:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mbho_marcelo-garcia-v-ricco-rodriguez_sport

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You'll get frustrated for awhile, being smaller. But we have advantages that bigger guys don't: We're more mobile, we don't tire out as easily, and we can slip through tiny cracks in an enemy's defence. You'll just develop a different game to the big guys, is all. You're also going to learn the finer points of a move faster, because a big guy can sometimes force a move to work that they've only half learned, while you'll get more direct feedback and keep practicing until it's perfect. In the long term, you'll learn better habits.

Cheer up:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mbho_marcelo-garcia-v-ricco-rodriguez_sport

holy poo poo the slam. Is this legal?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm curious, what is officiating like at BJJ competitions? I know in Judo people always complain, but I hear that officiating in BJJ/other grappling can be even worse. Any anecdotes or such?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

swmmrmanshen posted:

I'm curious, what is officiating like at BJJ competitions? I know in Judo people always complain, but I hear that officiating in BJJ/other grappling can be even worse. Any anecdotes or such?

The IBJJF tournaments are well officiated, some local tournaments are officiated rather poorly. However, on balance the officiating is better than people think because half the time people bitch about a ref screwing up is actually someone not knowing the rules.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

The way it looks to me, Marcelo spends the whole time trying to finish with a rear naked choke, Ricco pulls an illegal slam, Marcelo gets pissed off, gives up on the submission he wanted and takes whatever's easiest, and suddenly he's won. It feels a little bit like he was toying with him all match long.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

KingColliwog posted:

In ADCC final competitions I'm pretty sure it is.

Marcelo is by all accounts a great guy. But sitting on someone's back while they're standing or holding closed guard when someone is standing straight is all kinds of dumb. (Marcelo only has the seatbelt grip, he does not have any particular submission...)

It is a very sport way of thinking.... ("Oh, the rules will protect me!" :downs:)

Just because something is illegal or a foul. Does not mean you should be putting yourself into that position.

Like folks in Judo trying to stop themselves midfall. Or other stupid poo poo that happens in combat sports.

If in your sport of choice, something a novice or untrained person would do that is common sense or an educated guess or whatever. Then you should probably come up with a way of dealing with it, or preventing it.

TLDR, even extremely talented people can make dumb decisions or mistakes.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 11, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Completely unrelated; it went by me, but last month marks my third year with jujitsu, and holy poo poo has it changed my life for the better. People can say what they want about taking advice from the internet, and especially from goons, but god drat if I'm not glad I listened to whoever told me to take it up in W&W all those years ago.
From archives:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974242
These are the guys to thank.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Senor P. posted:

In ADCC final competitions I'm pretty sure it is.

Marcelo is by all accounts a great guy. But sitting on someone's back while they're standing or holding closed guard when someone is standing straight is all kinds of dumb. (Marcelo only has the seatbelt grip, he does not have any particular submission...)

It is a very sport way of thinking.... ("Oh, the rules will protect me!" :downs:)

Just because something is illegal or a foul. Does not mean you should be putting yourself into that position.

Like folks in Judo trying to stop themselves midfall. Or other stupid poo poo that happens in combat sports.

If in your sport of choice, something a novice or untrained person would do that is common sense or an educated guess or whatever. Then you should probably come up with a way of dealing with it, or preventing it.

Slamming is only legal in ADCC to escape submissions.

Also I totally disagree with the part you wrote in bold. Of course it's a sport way of thinking they're competing in a sporting event! Should guys stop pulling guard because they could get ground and pounded too? What an untrained person would do in a given situation should have no bearing on how you compete at the highest level of a sport.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

"Man, the hands-down greatest grappler alive is so stupid at grappling."

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

In my experience it is bad almost to the point of being dangerous to the competitors at most BJJ tournaments.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've had points just not counted by biased judges, been reset in bad positions and even forced to stand back up when a guy disengaged from my guard (should be a warning or foul against him, instead I had to get up).

Reffing is bad, it's a big reason I don't really compete anymore.

Chaos Theory
Jan 18, 2010

dokomoy posted:

Maguilla is across the country so I haven't heard much about him but I read this about him on sherdog

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/dc-md-nova-bjj-schools-1801611/index3.html

Thanks for that, I was wondering if he was really as great as he projects himself to be. I'll keep looking around, though I might want to go down to check it out. Either way, thanks again!

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thoguh posted:

In my experience it is bad almost to the point of being dangerous to the competitors at most BJJ tournaments.

I don't compete very much either, but I've heard stories of how confusing the rules have become. There's a bunch of extremely technical rules about crossing the center plane with leg locks, and doing inside reaps of a knee... (just two examples I've heard recently).

I'm pretty sure that if I were to compete I'd break a rule without even knowing about it.

I'm a believer in using whatever technique works the best regardless of the style it comes from, but it seems like BJJ is going in the Judo direction and attempting to dictate specifically what is and isn't BJJ.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Which is especially silly because BJJ is literally just a collection of effective techniques, unlike Judo which is designed to facilitate the transfer of certain philosophical principles (Zen/mutual benefit/gentleness).

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Kumo Jr. posted:

I'm a believer in using whatever technique works the best regardless of the style it comes from, but it seems like BJJ is going in the Judo direction and attempting to dictate specifically what is and isn't BJJ.
This is not really true. The IBJJF rules aren't really normative tools to enforce proper BJJ. They are just there for safety. The points though do encourage certain types of strategies. But even this is mitigated by the fact that if you get the tap, you win regardless of points. There aren't a lot of rules nor are there many new rules. Rules aren't too hard, but scoring is more difficult.

As a side note, rules differ depending on whether you are in NAGA or GQ or IBJJF or ADCC or FILA and whether you are in gi or no gi.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Which is especially silly because BJJ is literally just a collection of effective techniques

Is this a serious post? BJJ is Judo Newaza with a century of development on the techniques.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
I'm not disputing that- what's your point?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
gently caress yeah, I somehow got down to 160 pounds already! Will have to do very little to make weight on the day of the comp!

Also I have a question for you guys. What is your preferred way to train grip strength? It's something I'm always trying to improve and right now I do : Deadlifts, dumbbell holds, extending fingers while I have an elastic band around them, pull-ups while grabbing on fabric instead of a bar and will probably add some stress ball stuff while at work. Always looking for new stuff to integrate so things get less boring and repetitive.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Filipino martial arts get a lot of respect from the combat sports community for its aliveness and realism in weapons training, yet I don't see anyone implementing Filipino empty-hands stuff into MMA or kickboxing. Why is that?

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Isn't there a goon who trains at Marcelo Alonso's place in Seattle?

I've been trying to get a hold of the gym (I've tried email and phone), and I'm wondering if I should just show up in person, as I haven't heard back. The reason I ask is the website says to call or email to schedule a trial lesson, and I don't want to step on any toes.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

KingColliwog posted:

Also I have a question for you guys. What is your preferred way to train grip strength?

The guys that I know who have ridiculous grip strength got that way from grappling in the gi. There are some really good partner drills you can do:

- One partner lies down, the other stands over him and grabs his collars to do deadlifts

- Same positioning but the guy on the bottom does pull-ups (requires similar body weights and standing partner to have strong posture).

(You can vary these movements by gripping the collar, sleeves, or with a pistol grip)

- I'm not sure what these are properly called, but my instructor calls them "suicides" and it's one partner turtled with the other partner reaching underneath to grab the far collar lapel. Then he flips over the partner, and uses his core and grip to pull himself back over in reverse for each rep.

- Jiu-jitsu/Judo tree... One partner stands with strong base while the other partner climbs around him.

- Variation of above in turtle position on the ground. Participant must go from back mount swinging underneath his partner and back up to back mount without touching the ground.

Just some ideas.|

Edit: I just thought of another good one that my instructor has us do as a warm-up. It's a passing the guard drill, but the person on the bottom has to grab his own belt with one of his hands. He can defend and attempt to maintain guard at close to full speed, but he only gets his guard and one hand.

When you've only got one hand to work with, I find that you hang on to a grip much harder and longer.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 12, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Filipino martial arts get a lot of respect from the combat sports community for its aliveness and realism in weapons training, yet I don't see anyone implementing Filipino empty-hands stuff into MMA or kickboxing. Why is that?

Just because something 'works' doesn't mean it has a place in MMA. Judo works, and judo rules, but wrestling is more effective in a no-gi environment against a strong and skilled opponent. It doesn't mean that judo is bad or anything, it's just been phased out of MMA over time so that the most you'll see now is an occasional suprise uchi-mata off the fence. If the MMA rules dictated that everyone wears a gi, it might be a different story. I don't know much about filipino hand to hand stuff, but I would assume that if you haven't seen it in MMA yet, it's probably less effective than boxing or whatever. Doesn't mean that it's bad or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Senor P. posted:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

"Man, the hands-down greatest grappler alive is so stupid at grappling."
Marcelo Garcia is a human being without any flaws, let us place him upon a pedestal, never to be reached.

Should I work some magic and ask Mr. Garcia? See if he considers what he did a mistake or perhaps not the best decision? You know, a mistake?

Maybe you could try completing this sentence for me, since I'm not getting it. "I intentionally put myself in a position where my opponent could and did hurt me, it was __________________"

dokomoy posted:

What an untrained person would do in a given situation should have no bearing on how you compete at the highest level of a sport.
No, but common sense should. Especially since something like slamming happens with low level AND high level people.... in multiple combat sports.

You don't have to compete in ADCC to know that someone CAN slam you if they're standing straight and you are high on their back. And if you just ignore that possibility, especially in a high stakes game, then I personally think it is dumb. But hey folks in high level matches play with honour and integrity cheating, fouls, and scandals never happen.

People at the top level in their respective combat sports never do anything sketchy.

Considering there are a numbers of throws that are perfectly legal where you can land on your opponent. A backward slam in this particular case (3-4 feet above the ground) seems much more closer to a throw or takedown landing on the guy, not lifting the guy up and slamming him from a triangle or armbar (5 or 6 ft.)

In Judo, BJJ, and wrestling you're not allowed to slam your opponent head first into the ground. However in all three throwing them or taking them down such that they land on the front, back, or side is okay. Even if you fall on top of them.

Lets take a look at some 'slams'
Video 1 Double leg, lifts up and falls ontop of the other guy. To me it seems the guy actually does hit his head. But the throw is not really done with the intent of knocking the guy out.

Video 2 One guy goes for a single leg, other Guy jumps for a guillotene. It does not appear locked to my eyes. The other guy throws/stumbles into a high crotch. Opponent is thrown and appears uninjured. Thrower loses match by default. (I think it is a poor call and ideally this guy should not have been disqualified.)

Video 3 A very intentional slam occurs, which does deserve a DQ.

Back to the Garcia video It all comes down to if you consider someone falling ontop of you to be a slam or a throw.

Do you generally get a penalty if you stumble and land on top of the guy? No.
Do you get a penalty if you throw/takedown the guy and land on top of them? No.
In a normal tournament do you generally get a DQ if you pick up someone from guard and slam them? Yes.
Does ADCC allow slamming to defend submissions? Yes.
Does this person lift or pick up Marcelo? No.

I suppose what it all comes down to, is what is your (and ADCC in this case) definition of a slam.

ADCC Rules and Regulations posted:

Slamming can be used only in order to prevent a submission. Otherwise is considered as illegal.
This is vague as gently caress. Slam is not well defined. Is it preventing submission attempts or prevention the completion of a submission.

**Edit
Marcelo by all accounts is cool and extremely talented guy. But ignoring an obvious mistake, does not jive with me. It's like saying that there is nothing wrong with what happened in this video.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 12, 2011

• Locked thread