Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Seeing as you're getting a bunch of flash updates, will there be a soundtrack released anytime? I especially want the danceoff music.

Edit: If she does take part in the competition, it'd better be another dancing minigame. With different music to dance to for each round, and a differently moving goal bar.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Double post because you can't edit attachments in. :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Seeing as you're getting a bunch of flash updates, will there be a soundtrack released anytime? I especially want the danceoff music.

Edit: If she does take part in the competition, it'd better be another dancing minigame. With different music to dance to for each round, and a differently moving goal bar.

I was just about to post asking whether the music is all original, and if we could get a download of it. (And how much I like the danceoff music :D)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Seeing as Exelsior had music credits, I'm fairly sure the music is original.

Also, update.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

SirSamVimes posted:

The only original songs written for Prequel so far have been the ones in Excelsior. Those are both available from their composers' websites, under the names...

*sigh*

... A Fur-eash Start and Claws for Alarm. Their puns, not mine. While there's not really enough for a full album there (yet), you should be able to download from the above links.

SirSamVimes posted:

Hm, the problem I see with this is that it would work really well in a video game but not so well in a comic, where your readership basically has to be guided along a linear path. If Katia wins the dance battle in one person's playthrough but loses in another, I'd basically have to say only one of those outcomes is "canon". The only reason the minigame worked in Excelsior was because the setup meant any outcome could be equally canon.

I think your 16121 is the highest score I've seen so far, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kazerad posted:

Hm, the problem I see with this is that it would work really well in a video game but not so well in a comic, where your readership basically has to be guided along a linear path. If Katia wins the dance battle in one person's playthrough but loses in another, I'd basically have to say only one of those outcomes is "canon". The only reason the minigame worked in Excelsior was because the setup meant any outcome could be equally canon.

Integrate it! If more than 50% of the viewership wins, she wins.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Katia is a courier now, huh? This is starting to remind me of New Vegas.

Anyways. I'm hoping we can haggle the book down to, say, the price of a fork or spoon.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

IronSaber posted:

Katia is a courier now, huh? This is starting to remind me of New Vegas.

Patrolling Kvatch almost makes me wish for a Daedric incursion.

Not sure how much money Katia has on her (if any?), maybe the bookstore owner will accept her price if she says it's all she has on her. Still, a lot of work went into Kvatch and it's one of the few places Kazerad has full freedom to explore without touching on Oblivion's main plot, so I expect we'll be here for a while.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I fully expect to find out what's the deal with the Kvatch Mage's Guild. :colbert:

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I love the note on her hastily scribbled map of 'weirdo VAMPIRE'.

Also, ouch, 40 gold pieces for a book? No way she can afford that price. Time for the speechcraft minigame! Quickly insult him, tell him a joke, threaten his life and compliment him on his grooming in quick succession.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Geomancing posted:

Also, ouch, 40 gold pieces for a book? No way she can afford that price. Time for the speechcraft minigame! Quickly insult him, tell him a joke, threaten his life and compliment him on his grooming in quick succession.

If only she had some charm spells she just could just slap him upside the face with some magic and call it a day.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Geomancing posted:

I love the note on her hastily scribbled map of 'weirdo VAMPIRE'.

It's drakes not sovereigns!! I think those're silver pieces.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Geez, don't tell your customer that you don't know what you're doing! That's like first day shopkeepery.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Silentman0 posted:

Geez, don't tell your customer that you don't know what you're doing! That's like first day shopkeepery.

That was probably written in the book, so...

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Android Blues posted:

Oh, right. My mental picture is that prices are always inflated and rounded to the nearest gold piece for adventurers, because they're the ones with the tons of cash from looting and adventuring. Katia isn't one, yet. She must still getting the prices that NPCs charge one another.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!
I just want to certify the statement in the OP that it's possible to enjoy Prequel without knowing a thing about the game it's based off of. Despite never playing any kind of RPG, let alone Oblivion, I read through the archives last weekend and got totally hooked.

I think I was kind of indifferent at the start with the multiple relapses and mishaps, but the Countess's dinner (most notably the Imperial Guard's entrance) sold me on it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Wait I thought the currency was Septims.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

IronSaber posted:

Wait I thought the currency was Septims.

It is. It's also known as a drake due to the Dragon Diamond symbol on the reverse side.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

It is. It's also known as a drake due to the Dragon Diamond symbol on the reverse side.

Oh, doy. I guess that is a super pricey/misvalued grammar book then.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It probably has a lot of words in it, that means it's more expensive I think.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Oh, doy. I guess that is a super pricey/misvalued grammar book then.
It's more that Katia is dirt poor. 40 septims is about middle-range pricing for in-game books.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

So Kaz, I expect you're about as engrossed in Skyrim as the rest of us are by now?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

40 Septims also means it is probably a skillup book.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

40 Septims is enough for a lot of cheap wine. Prequel and the (at the time) imminent release of Skyrim got me to finally sit down and start playing Oblivion. 110 hours later and I'm nowhere close to finished.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rexxed posted:

40 Septims is enough for a lot of cheap wine. Prequel and the (at the time) imminent release of Skyrim got me to finally sit down and start playing Oblivion. 110 hours later and I'm nowhere close to finished.

For all its flaws, Oblivion's one of those games that keeps me coming back over and over again through the years. Mods add to the replayability even further, if you don't mind sifting through 1000 nude skins and rape simulators to find the good ones.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress yea cant wait to play it on a PC!

*downloads an anime ED-E mod*

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A thought.

We've all been talking about whether "Prequel" is a prequel to Oblivion in some sense, such as Katia becoming the protagonist and going to Imperial jail, or joining the cult that attacks at the start of the game.

But what if it's actually a prequel to Skyrim, and this is the story of the ancestor of the Dragonborn? :catdrugs:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What if, like, this is actually a prequel to Morrowind, man, and like, Katia is the Nerevarine :350:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Raserys posted:

What if, like, this is actually a prequel to Morrowind, man, and like, Katia is the Nerevarine :350:
It can't be, because Jiub is already a Saint in this story :smuggo:

plus whatever other details only huge nerds would notice

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dolash posted:

But what if it's actually a prequel to Skyrim, and this is the story of the ancestor of the Dragonborn? :catdrugs:
There's at least one drinking contest in Skyrim, sooo... :gonk:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

There's at least one drinking contest in Skyrim, sooo... :gonk:

Oh man, I just started that quest. And now I know how Katia feels.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This is The Most Understandable Hiatus. I've got far more important things than a webcomic that I've been procrastinating on because of Viking Simulator 2011.

I do wonder what sort of character Kaz is play as, though. Will all of his Skyrim playing affect the creative process of making the comic? Flash-forwards to Katia's great-great-granddaughter as she stumbles through the snow, trying not to be executed?

Actually a Dmitri-esque interlude where we get to see Katia's descendent and it ends on her getting tragically butchered could have a very similar narrative impact as Dmitri did - something that Katia wasn't even aware of but still makes us sad for her. Then again it might be a little too sad. Or not?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Dolash posted:

Actually a Dmitri-esque interlude where we get to see Katia's descendent and it ends on her getting tragically butchered could have a very similar narrative impact as Dmitri did - something that Katia wasn't even aware of but still makes us sad for her. Then again it might be a little too sad. Or not?

The real problem with that is it would ultimately be pointless to the story.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Possibly, but the only things Dmitri's scene added were things that could've been assumed off-screen (that Gro-Upp got a fire-resistance ring somewhere, for example). The real narrative purpose was to keep the tone of the comic gloomy at a time where Katia wasn't having anything sad happening to her personally. Not that the comic is all that gloomy, there's plenty of comedy, but the backdrop seems to require a steady supply of sad events.

As such, only the faintest excuse would be needed to justify the flash-forward, like maybe injecting some of the Dragon-born mystery into Katia's life (was her descendent the dragon-born?), or showing the descendent with some heirloom in her possession that Katia doesn't have yet (is it valuable? Will it be of use to Katia in some important capacity?). The scene could then work immediately as a mood dampener and long-term as an introduction to an incidental plot thread.

He couldn't do it right away though, since we just finished with Dmitri and that gloom hasn't worn off just yet. Which is a pity, because "Skyrim just came out! Here's a Skyrim interlude!" Would also work well as a way to initially justify the cutaway until the larger purpose/mystery is put forward.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I'm actually hoping Dmitri is coming back, being a necromancer and all, but I'm not exactly holding my breath over it. Although that'd be cool.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Friend of mine just sent me a piece of Prequel fan art he found online which made me laugh:

I can't blame Kaz, Skyrim's been keeping me from a lot more important stuff than webcomics.

EDIT: And now I must eat my words/funny image, update!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 27, 2011

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
update

we have finally left the bookstore

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Well so much for haggling.

I wonder if we can just open up the console and add sepims to her inventory.

player.additem 0000000F 45

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Hello I made these for easier story reading and thought you would enjoy them :)

http://nothotbutspicy.com/pa/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sindow posted:

Hello I made these for easier story reading and thought you would enjoy them :)

http://nothotbutspicy.com/pa/

:aaa:

This is probably the best format I've seen for reading MSPA-type adventures.

• Locked thread