Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
we use a moroso pan and pickup on the race car but it severely limits the headers and manifolds you can use. These guys have a pretty good one:

http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/OptimalOilPan.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm noticing that transmission tables seem to indicate the 02-05 USDM WRX is a 3.9 final drive, but some people are mentioning that the WRX rear differential is 3.54 because there's a 1.1:1 stepdown before the driveshaft.

I'm not able to find anyone having trouble swapping USDM WRX transmissions into a GC/GF, so I'm assuming that a 3.9 final drive WRX transmission is the same as my 3.9 final drive Outback Sport transmission (same stepdown) and everything will work fine with my existing driveshaft and rear differential.

Is that the case, or will I have to replace those items to use a USDM WRX transmission/front diff/centre diff? Oddly it seems easier to find a WRX transmission than an Impreza one.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 10, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I think you need to change the rear diff too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oddly it seems easier to find a WRX transmission than an Impreza one.

Which car crashes more often to supply the parts market?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Sockington posted:

Which car crashes more often to supply the parts market?

Weren't WRXes like 60-70% of overall Impreza sales in the U.S. as well?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm noticing that transmission tables seem to indicate the 02-05 USDM WRX is a 3.9 final drive, but some people are mentioning that the WRX rear differential is 3.54 because there's a 1.1:1 stepdown before the driveshaft.

I'm not able to find anyone having trouble swapping USDM WRX transmissions into a GC/GF, so I'm assuming that a 3.9 final drive WRX transmission is the same as my 3.9 final drive Outback Sport transmission (same stepdown) and everything will work fine with my existing driveshaft and rear differential.

Is that the case, or will I have to replace those items to use a USDM WRX transmission/front diff/centre diff? Oddly it seems easier to find a WRX transmission than an Impreza one.

You will need a wrx diff.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Some SVXs and 5eat cars also have 3.54 rear ends.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
So...some asshat stole the 4th winter tire out of my garage last week. How possible is it to get a 4th similar tire from Tirerack and have it shaved down, or am I hosed and need to pick up a new set of 4 to deal with my AWD? Keep in mind I spent about 2k miles on it last year.

loving hell.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
So my 08 STI is in the shop again, has been for about two and half weeks now. This time it's the transmission. It had stopped going into 3rd gear but was otherwise feeling fine so I just skipped 3rd for a few days until I got a chance to take it in. On the day I was going to take it in I accidentally tried to shift into third out of habi,t and it started making a horrible grinding/whining noise when the car was in motion. I pulled over immediately and had it towed to the dealer. They ordered some part for the transmission but after installation it was still making the noise so they have now ordered and received a new "main shaft." It was supposed to be installed and I was supposed to get it back today, but according to their latest report it "isn't going in easily" and they may have to order another part.

Is my car just totally hosed or just cursed? It's on its third engine, second AC unit, and now they're having to rebuild most of the transmission, luckily it's still under warranty and all of these repairs have been at no cost to me. If I had to pay for all of the repairs they've done it would probably total more than I paid for the car. The warranty runs out in a week or so but the powertrain warranty is good to 60k miles. I'm thinking I'll keep it another two years until I have it paid off then dump it for something else even though I really love the car. I just had to write this down somewhere as it's really got me bummed.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
That is insane, I would have traded that death trap in long ago.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Lazor posted:

So my 08 STI is in the shop again, has been for about two and half weeks now. This time it's the transmission. It had stopped going into 3rd gear but was otherwise feeling fine so I just skipped 3rd for a few days until I got a chance to take it in. On the day I was going to take it in I accidentally tried to shift into third out of habi,t and it started making a horrible grinding/whining noise when the car was in motion. I pulled over immediately and had it towed to the dealer. They ordered some part for the transmission but after installation it was still making the noise so they have now ordered and received a new "main shaft." It was supposed to be installed and I was supposed to get it back today, but according to their latest report it "isn't going in easily" and they may have to order another part.

Is my car just totally hosed or just cursed? It's on its third engine, second AC unit, and now they're having to rebuild most of the transmission, luckily it's still under warranty and all of these repairs have been at no cost to me. If I had to pay for all of the repairs they've done it would probably total more than I paid for the car. The warranty runs out in a week or so but the powertrain warranty is good to 60k miles. I'm thinking I'll keep it another two years until I have it paid off then dump it for something else even though I really love the car. I just had to write this down somewhere as it's really got me bummed.

Look into lemon laws.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
So I installed a boost gauge etc etc and now I look at the install and am second guessing the BPV line tap. I bought a bronze T barb for the tap. It rests against the intake manifold. Is that a problem? Pics...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lazor posted:

A Exorist required

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bought this thing at an auction today.

It's not an STI, just a regular wrx in drag. Not quite sure what i'm going to do with it yet, might just use it as a ricey winter beater. I haven't checked it out too closely yet, but it has a greddy turbo and apexi turbo timer, but still doesn't seem to have the go it should. On the plus side, the transmission still has all it's gears and there doesn't seem to be any leaks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Take it to Airboy Tuning in Calgary; he knows his stuff regarding de-ricing and doing a good open source tune on a 4WD dyno.

Looks like you may also have a front mount unless the bumper is much thinner on the blobeyes.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 13, 2011

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

So I installed a boost gauge etc etc and now I look at the install and am second guessing the BPV line tap. I bought a bronze T barb for the tap. It rests against the intake manifold. Is that a problem? Pics...

No reason I can think of that having the brass part rest against your intake should be a problem, other than that the engine jumping around a bit might push things. The intake shouldn't get hotter than most other parts in that area. That's how I was thinking of doing it, so I'll be curious to hear what other folks say about it. If you're worried, you could ziptie a spacer of some sort to the intake to keep it from touching/push it away from the engine a bit.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I would get that thing tuned or return it to near-stock and flash it with the right map before driving it too much.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Powershift posted:

I bought this thing at an auction today.

It's not an STI, just a regular wrx in drag. Not quite sure what i'm going to do with it yet, might just use it as a ricey winter beater. I haven't checked it out too closely yet, but it has a greddy turbo and apexi turbo timer, but still doesn't seem to have the go it should. On the plus side, the transmission still has all it's gears and there doesn't seem to be any leaks.

What looks to be a heavily modded WRX from auction? :negative:

I wish you the best but a preemptive may God have mercy on your soul.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe I like to live dangerously, maybe i'm just dumb. Either way it should be interesting.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Powershift posted:

Maybe I like to live dangerously, maybe i'm just dumb. Either way it should be interesting.

Either way you should drive that thing hard and into the ground.

Just be prepared for it to break your heart (and bank).

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Powershift posted:

apexi turbo timer

Get rid of that quick - makes your car an easy target for theft. And, in my understanding, you really don't need it if you have a turbo that's water cooled (I don't know if the GReddy is, but I would assume so).

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Crack in my transmission case. Awesome.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I just ordered D-specs and Group N strut mounts to match up to the STi springs I bought off jamal. My lovely RS is getting too much cool stuff.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

don't forget the scooby921 spacers

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

don't forget the scooby921 spacers

I got the full package. Spacers, adjustment extenders, group N mounts, saggy butt shims just in case (I can resell them to the ding dongs around here if I don't need them).

Car has 145k miles. I bought it with 78k miles. The struts and springs are the same as I bought it, and horribly horribly abused. This should be a good upgrade until I cage the car and buy rally coilovers years down the line.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Decided to finally swap winters on today, after having a fun afternoon with summer tyres and a tiny amount of slush. Took the car in to a nearby shop, and was happy when they told me it would be done in quick fashion. An hour later, they called, and asked if I had another key for the car? :wtf: So I went down to the shop, where lo and behold, the key just will not turn the ignition, at all. It still works in the doors just fine, but the ignition cylinder has decided that it's fed up. They were nice enough to lend me their shop truck until they get a new cylinder in tomorrow, but how common is this sort of thing?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
This is probably a boring/generic question, but what the hell. I've been looking at getting a new vehicle for the last few months, and have become increasingly interested in a small SUV, and the Forester looks like it's the best fit for what I need. Basically, something with a moderate amount of cargo room, reliable, good in snow/bad weather, and not terrible gas mileage. Buying used as I'm not Mr. Moneybags.

So I may be going to look at a 2004 Forester XS next week. It's automatic, 64k, the non-turbo version. Still waiting on specifics from the seller. What specifically should I be looking out for with that model and year?

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 14, 2011

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Simkin posted:

Decided to finally swap winters on today, after having a fun afternoon with summer tyres and a tiny amount of slush. Took the car in to a nearby shop, and was happy when they told me it would be done in quick fashion. An hour later, they called, and asked if I had another key for the car? :wtf: So I went down to the shop, where lo and behold, the key just will not turn the ignition, at all. It still works in the doors just fine, but the ignition cylinder has decided that it's fed up. They were nice enough to lend me their shop truck until they get a new cylinder in tomorrow, but how common is this sort of thing?

How old is the car? I've heard of stories of people wearing out their keys.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Simkin posted:

Do you have a really heavy keychain, by any chance?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I am putting together a motor for the sti to max out the 6262 on e85, and need a machine shop that has some real EJ experience. local ish to AZ would be prefered, but I have bunch of money in the hard parts and don't want a lovely machinist to mess it up. I already have a complete built set of big cnc ported heads so I am really just looking for block work.

Currently I have:
darton sleeved 2.6l block
manley billet crank
turbo tuff rods
cp 102mm pistons
arp case bolts

I would like to shuffle pin the mains and maybe pin and o-ring the sleeves and heads so a shop with porsche or aircooled exp would be nice, but I have to at least have to have the cases and deck cleaned since it spun a rod bearing on the 08 crank, aligned honed and spec the bearings for the new billet crank and balance everything for high rpm. so, who is the best?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
02 WRX, two small house keys on the ring with the car key. It probably didn't help that it was a third party key and not an official one - one of those other things that I can thank the PO for.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll ask some of my AZ friends and you could stop by Snail Performance. In socal there's performance developments, which does happen to do porsche stuff and Race Engine Developments which does the blocks for FXMD and AFI turbo.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 14, 2011

ickna
May 19, 2004

Holdbrooks posted:

since it spun a rod bearing on the 08 crank

when did that happen?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

ickna posted:

when did that happen?

no mine is still fine, I just bought another motor. I want to build it on the stand and drop it in one weekend.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Simkin posted:

02 WRX, two small house keys on the ring with the car key. It probably didn't help that it was a third party key and not an official one - one of those other things that I can thank the PO for.

auto or manual?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

we use a moroso pan and pickup on the race car but it severely limits the headers and manifolds you can use. These guys have a pretty good one:

http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/OptimalOilPan.htm

One thing I've noted is the 06 has what looks to be not bad baffling as standard and I've certainly heard it's a good deal better than earlier sumps. Be interesting to see any differences

Okay chaps, got a interesting question on the rebuild. I have the EJ257 to be delivered tomorrow and I intend to put the MY06 heads on it, which I know works. HOWEVER this will push the compression ratio up to 8.7ish:1 verses the stock WRX 8.4:1. That doesnt sound like a bad idea IF I leave everything standard, I'd have better off boost performance and a slightly higher effective dynamic compression. Remeber,on this engine I have no intention of pushing big boost or doing real mods - it will get a right caning.

Sounding like a good idea and actually being one are two different things and unlike suspensions this isnt an easy reverse. Would the stock ECU handle this?

Also - and this is I know a WTF - I do like the idea of a well designed turbo back exhaust that properly seperates and flows the wastegate from the main exhaust. A full TBE is in no way legal in my neck of the woods so what I was thinking of is to replace the downpipe with a better flowing one but leave the rest of the exhaust standard so I hide what I've done. It does sound like a waste of time for not much but not much is what I have to play with. Ideas?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
3" downpipe to stock midpipe/catback is like, one of the most common mods of all time. I have this: http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=224

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Sounding like a good idea and actually being one are two different things and unlike suspensions this isnt an easy reverse. Would the stock ECU handle this?
I assume you're intending to tune it. There are a few guys with 2L heads on 2.5L shortblocks here but I'm not sure what that does to the compression ratio.

During the tuning process just stay away from detonation (as always) and you should be fine.

Note that if your MY06 WRX heads are the same as my WRX heads you'll probably get much better exhaust flow (particularly out of the rear two exhaust ports) with the STI heads. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though, since I seem to remember STI heads are expensive as hell.

quote:

Also - and this is I know a WTF - I do like the idea of a well designed turbo back exhaust that properly seperates and flows the wastegate from the main exhaust. A full TBE is in no way legal in my neck of the woods so what I was thinking of is to replace the downpipe with a better flowing one but leave the rest of the exhaust standard so I hide what I've done. It does sound like a waste of time for not much but not much is what I have to play with. Ideas?
It does improve spool and top end. STI/SPT also sold a dealer-installed catback option (which you may already have given the bizarre fashion that your WRX is constructed in) that has a decent flow to it and would likely be compliant with whatever bizarre exhaust laws you are mired in.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Terrist posted:

This is what I've done and I see a significant gain with just the dp and a tune.
Note that I have a legacy and the internet claims its exhaust flows better than a wrxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
Any idea why my check engine light would pop up during 'hard' or highway driving? The dealer just asks me about the gas cap and unplugs the battery to reset. Though it does seem to occur shortly after I get gas, it's always while driving at higher speeds and I know how to put on a freakin' gas cap. If it is cap related, I'm thinking an internal seal (cap seal looks fine) is leaky. Because it's a dealer, I don't know the actual error code.

2008 Forester XT - 5 speed