Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

leather fedora posted:

Roger... No... :(
This news really shouldn't surprise you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Roger is legit in T5.0 and decent in T6. In Tekken you can be a silly character and still rape faces.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Brosnan posted:

Roger is legit in T5.0 and decent in T6. In Tekken you can be a silly character and still rape faces.

Pretty much this. I've seen Korean players on Tekken Crash and even Japanese players decimate Bobs/Steves with Kuma/Panda in 6. It's not like Soul Calibur 3, where picking Rock told people you're a free win. The list might change over time (it took a while for people to see Jack 6's potential).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Brosnan posted:

Lars is really really good in T6, although you will have to actually learn fundamentals if you want to be better than people who just backflip repeatedly and hope to get lucky. I think people who start with Lili tend to become overly reliant on her easy juggles, and never learn to do damage any other way. Lars has a lot of really good little 2-hit NCs and pokes, and his juggles have crazy wall carry (and great payoff when you get there -- df+1, db+2,1, f+1+4 probably shouldn't even work, but it does). But you will have to practice his poo poo, it doesn't come easy like hitting 34343434343 does with Lili. Figuring out how to use his SE and DE transitions well instead of as a lovely, punishable gimmick takes some time.
That's good then if he'll force me to learn proper fundamentals. It's hard since there's no real Tekken scene where I am, but if one comes along with Tag I'd like to know what I'm meant to be doing other than just, as you said, getting away with easy poo poo with Lili.

The stance transitions will definitely be the hardest part for me.

edit: I really gotta learn anything past basic Tekken notation some day. NC?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 11, 2011

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Natural combo. It refers to a canned string that combos on hit.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Brosnan posted:

Weird; I do not remember this at all.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rollie the Guar posted:

Natural combo. It refers to a canned string that combos on hit.
Ah okay. I was calling them "strings that actually worked", since the training mode was claiming that non-NC strings were still comboing and so, without someone else to train with, I had no idea what did and didn't combo.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ah okay. I was calling them "strings that actually worked", since the training mode was claiming that non-NC strings were still comboing and so, without someone else to train with, I had no idea what did and didn't combo.

Yeah that is one sort of misleading aspect of training mode. Note that there are also NCc's, which are natural combos only on counterhit.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Repostin' dis:

:megaman: UMVC3 LAUNCH DAY TOURNAMENT :megaman:

:itjb: Xbox sign-up! :itjb: | :spidey: PS3 sign-up! :spidey:

We're running it on both consoles at the same time (10PM Eastern)
Rules and stuff are on the sign-up page. It doesn't cost anything to sign-up and play but there's also no prize (this time). Any questions please just ask, either here or in the IRC channel.

By popular request I have added a rule requiring at least one new-to-UMvC3 character be a part of your team at all times for the 0-day tournament. As well as instructions on what to do if your opponent chooses a team that does not adhere to the rule.

Goons willing, we'll have a stream for one or both tournaments up for everybody to watch so you can still expect to have some fun watching (GET HYPE) even if you get knocked out early or just want to hang out and watch! Plus there's all the lobbies for casuals that are sure to spring up. Get at this!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Update: there will indeed be (small) prizes. See upcoming UMvC3 thread for details.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/11/11/skullgirls-developer-commentary-training-mode

IGN actually got the loving title right for once.

So, this video shows:
  • The training stage (a classroom drawn on notebook paper)
  • The tutorial mode
  • The training framedata display (!!!)

Godlike.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
That is really, really nice. I like how there's a gauge showing how long hitstun lasts. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

PalmTreeFun posted:

That is really, really nice. I like how there's a gauge showing how long hitstun lasts. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

SFIV does this, but this one looks alot nicer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

SFIV does this, but this one looks alot nicer.

If you mean the health bar flash, that's just aesthetic. All the claims that it's related to hitstun or link timing or whatever are myths.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you mean the health bar flash, that's just aesthetic. All the claims that it's related to hitstun or link timing or whatever are myths.

Yeah I did :smith:

For more examples that is hopefully right this time :argh: EFZ and IaMP both do this.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

PalmTreeFun posted:

EFZ does this in matches and i think the new persona FG also does this

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
Now that's how a FG tutorial is done. Very thoughtful and impressive. Hopefully one day Skullgirl's example will become the standard.

I think if you cross-bred a tutorial system like that with MK9's challenge tower, throwing in a few achievements and unlockable incentives, you'd see a much greater understanding and appreciation for FG mechanics in general.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Didn't SC3 have a similar tutorial system? I distinctly remember trying to grind my way through that thing and taking forever on the guard impact bits. It also rewarded you with a cool weapon unlock for completing everything. Perhaps Skullgirls should do that, but with a unique costume colour or something.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've been reworking the KoF Megathread to get it more focused on XIII.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Schmendrick posted:

So how are Anna, Dragunov, Bob, and Ganryu when it comes to relearning Tekken, and Devil Jin to fill that "Mishima quota (I wanna use a Mishima with the best custom outfits*)?"

*You can dress him up like a Ghosts and Goblins boss or even Devil Man. Can't hate DJ for that.

Take Kazuya or Heihachi. I just got back to tekken after two years and he's been my main from way back in T3. He's sharp, he's got some decent useful moves and he's straight forward. Having a good mix up with him would be take some thinking unlike Kazuya, but he's still the quick heavy hitter.

While Heihachi still retains a whole lots of moves and tools even from T2 (except small stuff like Rajin stance and b+2 and a few short strings), Kazuya got remoulded (not to the same extent as jin).

Also you're playing a selfish old rear end in a top hat who can bite a speeding bullet and survive suicide bomb attack.

Or if you really really really loved T3 and TTT Jin, then you should probably go stick to DJ.

Brosnan posted:

Saw someone owning with roger and ganryu on a stream. poo poo was pretty cash.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

uncleKitchener posted:

Saw someone owning with roger and ganryu on a stream. poo poo was pretty cash.

Bronson Tran (aka insanelee) has definitely been rocking Ganny for a long time, since T5.0 at least. Dude is super solid.

Also, just updated the OP to reflect the newly-posted UMvC3 and KoFXIII threads.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Got to play some Tekken 6 on offline mode after a few hours of messing around in practice mode.

I don't know why Namco keeps coming up with these bad ideas and this Azazel boss is just something that's more frustrating that actually challenging.

Also, Yoshi is still really fun to watch. I hope they never kill him off.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Can't kill off someone who dies in between literally every game, I guess

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

uncleKitchener posted:

I don't know why Namco keeps coming up with these bad ideas and this Azazel boss is just something that's more frustrating that actually challenging.

I haven't played Tekken 6 extensively (that is to say, like, more than 20 hours) but most of that was spent in single player, and I never ever bet Azazel. Even on easiest mode. :smith:

Then again, the computer WAS pretty adept at blocking the Paul combo that I originally learned in Tekken 3 and spammed over and over again.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Was killing time in Ebisu in Tokyo last night and randomly walked into an arcade and watched a couple of guys play Tekken Tag 2. Both were using Wang, and I guess I never realized he could be so good. One player was using Jaycee/Julia, who seems really good. The Wang/Jaycee team didn't use the tandem mode at all but the Wang/Lee player was using it to great effect. Some other things were happening that I didn't really understand as I haven't been reading too much up on it, but it looks gorgeous.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
My Hori ex2 has a problem with the LT button. It doesn't send the input half the time I hit the button, and the other half of the time it refuses to read continuous inputs (i.e. holding down the button). Strangely, it occasionally works when I hit it a certain way, or hit it very gently--but it never works the same way twice.

I don't have enough experience (this is my first arcade stick ever) to know whether I'm SOL or whether this is something that can be fixed.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Everything in that stick is soldered together, so it may be more trouble than it is worth to try to fix it. :(

You can fix it, but you'd probably be better off just upgrading.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Painwheel's bio is up on the Skullgirls site.

No gameplay, but this might mean we get some in the near future.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

uncleKitchener posted:

He's a sucker for 1,2 spams. That said, Azazel and Jinpachi were horrible bosses.

You'll be happy that Unknown is Tag 2's boss, and she can put up a fight this time.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Any UK goons going to Capcom Namco club fight next month? Entry is "free" apparently and harada and co. are going to be there.

Schmendrick posted:

He's a sucker for 1,2 spams. That said, Azazel and Jinpachi were horrible bosses.

You'll be happy that Unknown is Tag 2's boss, and she can put up a fight this time.

Yeah, he's a sucker for quick punishers. I just Mashed him with whatever quick hit I had and launched him as oki, so he went down quick. But still, it's a pretty cheap boss. I couldn't air jap it during it's roll, which is kind of silly, since it's so big.

They brought unknown back and this time she's jun's alterego. Apparently, they wanted to please the jun fans. The boss looks pretty challenging though.

edit: In other news, 30 hit tech traps make their way in.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Groghammer posted:

Painwheel's bio is up on the Skullgirls site.

No gameplay, but this might mean we get some in the near future.

While it is not surprising and is more than a little :rolleyes: that they put measurements for each of the characters in the bios, for something that is pretty much an anime game the character weights are actually pretty reasonable as opposed to not a single one being above 100 pounds. Though the measurements and weights being posted in the first place is still embarrassing.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 16, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

chumbler posted:

While it is not surprising and is more than a little :rolleyes: that they put measurements for each of the characters in the bios, for something that is pretty much an anime game the character weights are actually pretty reasonable as opposed to not a single one being above 100 pounds. Though the measurements and weights being posted in the first place is still embarrassing.

The animation director is a female and actually encouraged the posting of their measurements because there are a lot of females fans (and would-be cosplayers) of this game, and the measurements are much more realistic than those of other games.

Also, how is it an anime game when it's made in America?

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Broken Loose posted:

The animation director is a female and actually encouraged the posting of their measurements because there are a lot of females fans (and would-be cosplayers) of this game, and the measurements are much more realistic than those of other games.
That won't stop 300 lbs girls from trying to dress as Parasoul

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I hope someone goes all out with Ms. Fortune

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Parasoul is probably the easiest cosplay of all time, now that you've brought this up: sweater/skirt or a short dress; a parasol/umbrella.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Dias posted:

Parasoul is probably the easiest cosplay of all time, now that you've brought this up: sweater/skirt or a short dress; a parasol/umbrella.

You're missing the squad of soldiers backing her up :v:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Trykt posted:

I really like this one, plus it abbreviates easily to a slightly-less-embarrassing-to-say-publicly "triple S" or "three S"? Which I guess would make extra sense if you guys are into 3rd much.

Or just hiss.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.

Broken Loose posted:

Also, how is it an anime game when it's made in America?

Holy poo poo, Parasoul weighs 156??

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Captain Corduroy posted:

Holy poo poo, Parasoul weighs 156??

You would probably weight that too with a metal kill wheel coming out your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

You would probably weight that too with a metal kill wheel coming out your rear end.

Parasoul definitely does not have anything coming out of her rear end.

• Locked thread